Clone decisions

The sooner the better as they get harder to do the longer you wait. Could also try to reveg after harvest by leaving enough green matter low on the plant and switching the lights back to 18/6. That's harder to do, though.

The sooner the better as they get harder to do the longer you wait. Could also try to reveg after harvest by leaving enough green matter low on the plant and switching the lights backmton18/6. That's harder to do, though.

Thanx for your input ! Always good to hear an opinion rather than my brain 🧠

Anytime is a good time

Just sometimes better than other times

After sex shows is ok, just, as mentioned, they will revege awhile, but they also need to root, so it takes time either way

I can't find the post but I saw someone mention recently that the reveg process and hormone change is aided by having a dark period. Just mentioning it because some people root clones without one. I'd give both ways a try, maybe take a few clones now and then try for the reveg afterwards too. For the latter, I succeeded the first time I tried it but then failed the next two attempts. I think a lot of it came down to me watering before harvest and there being no leaves to get rid of the water.

The sooner the better as they get harder to do the longer you wait. Could also try to reveg after harvest by leaving enough green matter low on the plant and switching the lights back to 18/6. That's harder to do, though.
Its not necessarily harder to root but it takes longer to reveg them since they are in full flower. Its better to water clone a cutting in flower since the high risk of mold on the flowers under a dome and high humidity.

Re-veg is best done under 24 hours of light IMO.

Re-veg is best done under 24 hours of light IMO.
I'm remembering wrong and it's the opposite. lol. So no dark period then?
That makes more sense.:ganjamon:
Pretty sure you're the one I was trying to quote anyway. Cheers.

But that's probably only true if you use a cloning method that requires a dome.
I'm confused, isn't that what I just pointed out? I never had any luck with cuttings in cubes without a dome. I guess if you had no job to attend to you could continously spray a cutting throughout the day. They tend to dry out pretty fast without a dome in pucks/cubes.

How and when do you decide “ im gonna do a clone” of this ?
As to the when I decide.... I decide to take cuttings with the hopes of getting some healthy clones the day the seed is planted.;). Then it becomes a waiting game while the seedling grows into a larger and healthy plant. Eventually it starts to look right and when doing training that involves topping or removing any stems that are 4 or 5 nodes or longer they will end up being trimmed and placed into what ever method I am currently trying out.

I have a grow thats in its 5th week of flower, and one of the current group is very frosty SourDiesel.
As long as it is a photoperiod plant you can give it a try. An auto-flower cutting does not revegetate even if it develops roots so it will always be in flower and eventually will ripen and that ends it.

The longer it has been in flower the harder it will be to end up with a rooted cutting. My limit was 21 days after the light schedule was changed but it is worth trying even if the plant is further along into the flowering stage.

If the attempt to get an entirely new plant from the clone fails do not give up. The next grow plan from the start and take cuttings before the light switch.

Suggestions include making a note of the day the cutting was taken. Include some sort of reference back to the "mother" plant in case something turns up later. Example is that the mother plant is not a female and the note allows the gardener to go right to every clone that came from the plant without having to wait for them to also show that they are male.

Also human nature being what it is means that many of us will be taking a look at the cutting two or three times a day. Before long we have taken so many looks at it that we think that it was taken from the mother 25 days ago when it actually has only been 14 days.

I'm confused, isn't that what I just pointed out? I never had any luck with cuttings in cubes without a dome. I guess if you had no job to attend to you could continously spray a cutting throughout the day. They tend to dry out pretty fast without a dome in pucks/cubes.
Yes, sorry. I guess I read it quickly and had the wrong take away.

Depends on what you like to clone in I suppose. I do mine in perlite and spray them twice a day until they root in 8-12 days.

As to the when I decide.... I decide to take cuttings with the hopes of getting some healthy clones the day the seed is planted.;). Then it becomes a waiting game while the seedling grows into a larger and healthy plant. Eventually it starts to look right and when doing training that involves topping or removing any stems that are 4 or 5 nodes or longer they will end up being trimmed and placed into what ever method I am currently trying out.
I think his point is he has a particularly sugary pheno discovered in flower that he'd like to keep around for future grows, so the normal cloning schedules don't apply.

if it's too far in it might be best to monster crop it after harvest rather than clone.

How far in is too far you reckon?

i find it gets dicey at wk 4 or 5 after bud set, or about 6 - 7 wks after flip. i haven't taken anything much past the 2 wk defol from flip for a long time now.

when i was part of the larger grow we monster cropped a few times on certain strains. we would take clones from the monster cropped plants as well once they turned around. i don't think many folk use the practice any more, it was more of an underground commercial thing.

Ok, thanks. I've got a new perlite cloning process that's working pretty well and I want to try it on something already in flower. I'll probably try something around mid-way, like maybe 4 weeks after pistils.

Ok, thanks. I've got a new perlite cloning process that's working pretty well and I want to try it on something already in flower. I'll probably try something around mid-way, like maybe 4 weeks after pistils.

just be aware that it takes longer to turn them around after they've flipped. the deeper into flower they are the longer it takes. when pulling clones in flower they sometimes won't have enough time to root before they fully reveg.

the advantage to monster cropping is essentially starting with a root ball already established. as long as there is enough foliage left on the plant it will turn around in time, it doesn't have to suspend energy on both reveg and rooting in.

Back
Top Bottom