Cloning in perlite

Canachris

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy growing clones in perlite. I've always had bad luck cloning, over the years I've tried many tines with few successes. Any thoughts on this method. This is the top off the taller plant

20230427_073751.jpg

20230427_062447.jpg

I cloned all my plants in perlite. Just like your pic. Karma sent to it

Welp, I was trimming the other photo I'm growing and this branch was kinda in the way, so Into the perlite she went. The other clone has been 7 days now, she's not looking too good. I've kind been keeping her out of strong direct light, should I put closer to the light ?

20230504_053125.jpg

20230427_062451.jpg

20230503_071649.jpg

20230503_071633.jpg

Clones need warm, wet, and light. I personally would not attempt perlite, but if I did, I'd do everything the same in my setup, except use fine perlite, not coarse perlite. The idea is to keep them in a humidity dome, and mist the cuttings and interior of the dome to maintain a high-humidity environment. I mist 2 or 3 times a day for the first week. I would think the perlite would dry out faster than my normal medium, which is composed mostly of coco coir, so you'd want to wet the perlite every X days as needed. One problem is that the wetting would tend to wash away rooting gel. With coir, I only wet the medium once, before I make a hole in the medium to accept the cutting which has plenty of gel on it. The coir tends to hold the gel in place around the cutting. After that, I just use misting to keep everything wet. After a week or so, and by checking the dryness of the pots, I will then give them some water. In another week, I look for roots coming out the bottom. This method is near 100% effective.

That's kind of like what I did originally, in I think 2019, when I first started cloning. I just threw 3 cuttings into some small pots with coco coir, dipped them in some rooting hormone powder I had lying around. I put them under a small clear plastic tote, inverted, and relied on sunlight to give them light. I misted them a lot.

To my surprise, they all developed roots!

Back in the beginning of March when I started this grow I was of the thinking that by the end of April we would actually have spring like temps. Instead here it is May 5th and I'm waking up to 47f. Outside and 54f. Inside. I have no heat, no money to buy oil. I know it's harsh but at this point the girls either deal with the unhospitable conditions or become compost. Between my health issues and extended February this has been a very stressful grow. This is supposed to be my stress relief... sorry for rambling

20230505_054753.jpg

Back in the beginning of March when I started this grow I was of the thinking that by the end of April we would actually have spring like temps. Instead here it is May 5th and I'm waking up to 47f. Outside and 54f. Inside. I have no heat, no money to buy oil. I know it's harsh but at this point the girls either deal with the unhospitable conditions or become compost. Between my health issues and extended February this has been a very stressful grow. This is supposed to be my stress relief... sorry for rambling

20230505_054753.jpg
Sorry to hear about all the stress and can you Amagine the stress if you didn't grow.

Oh geez, that's cold! I'm guessing you don't have a solar room / solarium? One trick is to put black trash cans full of water in a solarium, to serve as a heat battery charged by the sun during the day, releasing heat during the night.

I do spend a lot of time on my grow, which has become a fun hobby for me... cannabis is always throwing up surprises and challenges. I really resonate with the science behind it all... the cannabis universe is vast.

I'm wishing you well my friend. I hope May brings you the warmth of springtime!

Thanks 808, I am able to move the girls from sunny window to sunny window up until they get big. then the best looking girl gets preferential treatment and rolled around from sunny spot to sunny spot. The house I live in is close 100 years old and there I little to no insulation , I've also had 4 days in a row without any sunshine. I hoping that once I adjust to the new meds I'm on the everyday little tasks will become second nature again

Thanks 808, I am able to move the girls from sunny window to sunny window up until they get big. then the best looking girl gets preferential treatment and rolled around from sunny spot to sunny spot. The house I live in is close 100 years old and there I little to no insulation , I've also had 4 days in a row without any sunshine. I hoping that once I adjust to the new meds I'm on the everyday little tasks will become second nature again
I know what it is like living in a 100-year-old house, but I had it insulated when I bought it 30 something years ago. Back then all I could have done was blown in insulation. But it is better than nothing at all.

I'm just a tenant and my landlord is a dumbass. He insulated the ceiling in the basement, I'm on the first floor. So after he's done he tells me " well your floors should stay much warmer this winter... I asked him ... what does heat do ?? And just looked at with a dumbfounded look. So I said heat rises an all you did was stop all the excess heat the 4 furnaces and 4 water heaters produce from keeping my floors warm. He told me I was nuts, I let it go , like the Song goes," ya can't argue with a sick mind "

I'm just a tenant and my landlord is a dumbass. He insulated the ceiling in the basement, I'm on the first floor. So after he's done he tells me " well your floors should stay much warmer this winter... I asked him ... what does heat do ?? And just looked at with a dumbfounded look. So I said heat rises an all you did was stop all the excess heat the 4 furnaces and 4 water heaters produce from keeping my floors warm. He told me I was nuts, I let it go , like the Song goes," ya can't argue with a sick mind "
He sounds like a real dumb ass hopefully you do not have to pay for heat.

So I said heat rises an all you did was stop all the excess heat the 4 furnaces and 4 water heaters produce from keeping my floors warm.
Hmm, a little covert duct work might be in order. 😁

The house was built as a duplex, some time in the early 60's it was converted to a 4 apartment's the original duct work was altered by some ass and I can feel heat frome some of my vents with my heat off and the upstairs heat is on, an I know it's vice-versa. Luckily since I've gotten sick he hasn't raised my rent, so I try not rock the boat..lol

Oh I have to pay, and it's oil heat. Last year heating oil went for $5.20 a gallon, if you get 150 gallons. Any thing from 100- 150 was $550 per gal. And they say it's not worth the time to sell under 100 gallons.
That sucks I had oil heat but went to gas a couple years back and I am glad I did. I remember looking in the couch for change because we had to pay cash when the oilman came.

i grow in straight perlite and do all my clones in hempy cups. have you got a drain hole in the side of those things ? go have a look at my method if you want easy.

full

Back
Top Bottom