Coloring on young seedlings, please help me?

Seniorweeder

After many problems with germination as I am a beginner, I finally got a couple of nice seedlings going and Im very excited to finally see my hard work pay off. I had been wondering if my plants were doing well for being about 3 weeks old , but just today I noticed some odd goldish coloring on a couple of the larger leaves, "they are on the left and right of the pic". I am nervous as heck that something will take my babies away. They were germed in Peat Pellets then I transferred them to 20 oz Styrofoam cups in Fox Farm Bush Doctor medium. They are under a Growstar 600 watt Led light at about 18" away. I have my homemade Grow Box at 74 degrees average and about 55% RH. Also does anybody know if the Bush Doctor has enough nutes to carry me for a while before adding any! Thanks so much for any help !

Black Water Leaf 11-28-20.jpg

All good stuff guys thanks a ton. Im so afraid of overwatering as I lost my first expensive seeds that way I guess im under watering now. The cups are sitting in bowls to catch run off, should I fill from the bottom or down thru the top? At this size should I soak and wait til dry maybe every 2 days? As far as up potting, heck I just put them in those 20 oz cups a week ago because he roots started coming out of the Peat Pellets. With my Grow Box being 2'X4' X 65". I was hoping I could leave them in the 20 oz cups til I could determine sex because I have 5 seedlings and hope to have at least 2 good females as I don't have much more room for mature plants in the 3 gallon pots Im ending with! Appreciate all your time, SERIOUSLY!

No soil grown plant that young should be old enough to need cal mag.

True, but I'm assuming by Bush Doctor, he means Coco Loco, which is coco, and notorious for needing calmag . . at exactly this point. I agree that the underwatering is making it worse but I can also guarantee that there isn't enough calmag in there to begin with. Unless OP pre-charged it, but I have feeling they were unaware it was even coco.

Being coco, that also answers OPs other question of will it have enough nutes. It will not, it has enough for veg but you will need supplementation in flower and especially after flushing which will be mandatory later in the grow.

With coco you need to be watering often. Once you up-pot, you can get away with watering every other day, maybe every 3 days at first, but once the root mass builds you need to water more often. Coco should never be allowed to completely dry out, it will throw off the pH and destabilize the medium. Bush doctor is probably mixed with enough perlite so your aeration should be OK but I'd really recommend air pots or fabric pots for when you transplant. They allow you to take advantage of coco. Using coco in a standard container kinda cancels out its benefits.

soil is a bit hot for seedlings is the issue

tho, i am not sure how to mitigate the problem,, other than perhaps a major flush for a day,, then complete dry and then back to normal,,

best i can suggest friend,, well, other than a repot,, karma sent

Again its not soil, its coco, it's called COCO Loco, and the label says it is 50-60% coco. You are in coco, no bones about it, and thats fine, I actually like it better than soil, but it needs to be treated as a hydroponic setup, or semi-hydroponic at least. I ran coco for years and I've encountered all the problems lol. That is calmag deficiency from a coco substrate. When not pre-charged coco naturally attracts the calcium and magnesium ions, bonding them to the medium. Until that is overcome, the calmag will not be as available to the plant.

Search "precharge coco" and "coco calmag" on this forum and will see the hundreds of threads on this topic with pics identical to yours.

20201129_203144.jpg

As I have said I am a "Newbie" here guys. I first did a lot of reading when I began , the best stuff to me sounded like a Coco Coir/Perlite mix which I bought, but then I got intimidated by the flushing and liquid nute stuff, so I opted for the Fox Farm Bush Doctor with nutes installed to be lazy. I thought I had an easy formula for early growing, can some body help me understand why I need this Cal-mag and what its supposed to be for? If I do need it I will get it. I did not mention that so far I am only watering with distilled water!

I use RO water (identical to distilled for our purposes), another indicator that you need a calmag supplement. Normal city or well water will have calcium and magnesium in it naturally. You probably wouldn't need to add calmag if you used water of that type (at least 0.5 ec out of the tap), even then some do. Distilled water has 0 in it by its very nature. I promise you 100% this is the issue. @Buds Buddy is absolutely right, 2ml calmag per gallon ( last week of flower not really necessary). You're problem will clear up. (The damage won't reverse itself but you won't see anymore). I use Gen Hydro calmag because it has very little nitrogen and other nutes so it won't throw off your regular nutrient regimen. Its actually what got me to switch all my nute lineup to Gen Hydro . . for now anyway.

The nutes that are in Coco loco are a great start, you do not need to feed any nutes (other than calmag supplement) until probably week 4-5 of flower. All you need to add from there is maybe some extra bloom nutrients. You have to monitor but 9/10 coco loco needs more bloom nutes at that stage.
There are other things I'd recommend like Silica and a bloom booster but to be frank, you are new like you said so I say keep it simple for now. I really like your setup, and it has tons of potential, coco can be a bit finicky if youre new, I'm just trying to save you a few weeks of hassle that I went through.

Also, in a situation where you have nutrients in your coco already, as is the case with coco loco, you dont want to water with a lot of runoff. Normally in coco you want runoff, to avoid salt buildup. But in your case, runoff will cause leaching of your nutrients. This means that flushing periodically (after week 1, 4 and 7 of flower imo) will be crucial to your setup. However flushing will require you to replace those nutes, not a big deal but it can be very frustrating you're first time in coco, but I'm willing to help you along the way.

I use RO water (identical to distilled for our purposes), another indicator that you need a calmag supplement. Normal city or well water will have calcium and magnesium in it naturally. You probably wouldn't need to add calmag if you used water of that type (at least 0.5 ec out of the tap), even then some do. Distilled water has 0 in it by its very nature. I promise you 100% this is the issue. @Buds Buddy is absolutely right, 2ml calmag per gallon ( last week of flower not really necessary). You're problem will clear up. (The damage won't reverse itself but you won't see anymore). I use Gen Hydro calmag because it has very little nitrogen and other nutes so it won't throw off your regular nutrient regimen. Its actually what got me to switch all my nute lineup to Gen Hydro . . for now anyway.

The nutes that are in Coco loco are a great start, you do not need to feed any nutes (other than calmag supplement) until probably week 4-5 of flower. All you need to add from there is maybe some extra bloom nutrients. You have to monitor but 9/10 coco loco needs more bloom nutes at that stage.
There are other things I'd recommend like Silica and a bloom booster but to be frank, you are new like you said so I say keep it simple for now. I really like your setup, and it has tons of potential, coco can be a bit finicky if youre new, I'm just trying to save you a few weeks of hassle that I went through.

Also, in a situation where you have nutrients in your coco already, as is the case with coco loco, you dont want to water with a lot of runoff. Normally in coco you want runoff, to avoid salt buildup. But in your case, runoff will cause leaching of your nutrients. This means that flushing periodically (after week 1, 4 and 7 of flower imo) will be crucial to your setup. However flushing will require you to replace those nutes, not a big deal but it can be very frustrating you're first time in coco, but I'm willing to help you along the way.
Mannnn, thanks a ton Tyson, U really took some time here to help me, much appreciated friend. Based on what u said for now I am switching to my city water on the bigger plants, but should I keep using the Distilled on my little seedlings? I was told to do that to germ and so on by several people when I got started! Also glad to hear my nute regimen is safe for a while, Im new and more afraid of messing u my hard earned babies than being lazy! Also I keep looking at videos of other folks plants in the 2/3 week stage of Veg and I wonder if mine are looking right, i.e. size color and so on. I know that strain characteristics play a big roll in appearance, but im just wondering, Some plants I see have what looks like 4" stems up to the Cotys, mine were leafing out at about 2 ". Some folks plants at 3 weeks look taller and lighter green than mine. Would u mind evaluating mine if I showed u a couple close up pics? The date on the cup is when the seed was planted, maybe popped about 4 days later. Thanks for all your time Bro!

Black  Water 11-30-20.JPG

Black Water 2,,, 11-30-20.JPG

Back
Top Bottom