Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

Re: Come SOG with me. 112 plant, 2 liter, Hempy SOG

420fied, you made me a believer with the defoliation. Those things look amazing. I had a couple of smaller ladies outside and I gave them a little defoliation action. I hope I did not go to far. But the proof is in the pudding and your plants seem to love it. Amazing job as usual. I would rep you 1000 times but yet I cant even give you 1, you know the drill. Bless

Thanks for the kind words my friend. You're one of my oldest friends on here and I value your feedback. I hope the defoliation works out for your outdoor girls. ALWAYS reps to you!

The first defoliation around day 21 where you strip off the large fans is done just after the stretch. So with whatever strain you try this on you use the end of stretch as the indicator for when you should strip the fans.

During that first couple of weeks of flower the fans help create the structure of the plant. But once stretch is over and flower sets in they become unnecessary and they block light from reaching the lower budsites.

You want to remove the large fans that have their own stem at this point. And any thing that is directly blocking a budsite can be removed too. Once this is done the canopy is much more open and the light can penetrate farther down into it.

The second defoliation around day 45 is to clear away any large leaf that has regrown from the budsites and might be blocking other budsites.

I'm so glad that you've decided to join the discussion in this journal because it's you and your grow that inspired it. Who better to lean on than the originator? It's like taking hitting lessons from the Babe. lol

In all seriousness, I hope that you'll continue to contribute because the site could always use the thoughts/advice of experienced growers like yourself. Thank you.

Thanks Xare. I loved your grow.

What I'm wondering though is if you can strip the fans to stop stretch... with the same root development 2 strains can grow to very different heights, and I'm thinking that may be a way to control the stretch of the taller strains. For example I think if I let the roots gets as developed as 420fieds, my acapulo golds will be over 2 feet tall. But if I try to keep them shorter by putting them into 12/12 sooner, I'm not sure the roots will be developed enough to grow fat colas like you guys did.

Right now I've got some 20" AG's that are done stretching, older than 420fieds and not nearly as developed cola-wise. I think that's because the roots weren't as developed. Hope I explained this clearly, would love to hear your thoughts.

Blue,

I believe that your thinking has a lot of merit. I'm trying to make sure that my root systems are solid before burying the clones.

I ran an experiment once where I did the stripping on day 18 instead of 21 on some large starts. For my strain the stretch was not quite finished at day 18.

It did seem to stall the stretch out and end it early. Keeping the clones at the height I wanted without any bad effects.

Xare,

Obviously I was a big fan of your White Poison grows. Are you still running your autofed SOG? Are you still running WP?

Also, if I remember correctly, you set your autodrippers so that you had minimal to 0 runoff with your pots. If I recall correctly, you got those beautiful results without flushing your girls. Am i correct on this? Your thoughts are always appreciated here.

In fact, if you could dig up a pic of some of your finished WP in 2 liters right before you chopped them, I'm sure everyone here would like to see what a 2 liter Hempy pot can produce and I have no problem with you posting the pictures here. Thanks in advance.

Good growing everyone!

:thumb:

There is so much info that contradicts this but I trimmed some fan leaves off this week and I'll be damned if I don't agree with you. The buds where I trimmed look as if they are filling out faster than the buds where I didn't trim.

Guess what I'm doing on Tuesday?? LOL

It's like the difference between republicans and democrats on this issue. The dem's are totally against trimming and republicans trim away...

That's what it seems like anyway. I read a journal last night, couldn't sleep, and the grower said flat out that he trimmed fan leaves and point blank said that it retarded the growth of his buds.

So many variables, so little time!! :)

:Namaste:

I'm pretty new to all of this and I also did a test with trimming fan leaves on some autoflowers....One of them I trimmed all of the fan leaves and the other I just let them die and fall off if they did...Needless to say, the auto's sucked all together---the one that I trimmed ended up being a total waste of space and it seemed like it stunted the growth in comparison.....very shitty results, ended up using most of both plants to make oil...I'm on the fence, but I can agree that in this situation it is working well!!!

I'm pretty new to all of this and I also did a test with trimming fan leaves on some autoflowers....One of them I trimmed all of the fan leaves and the other I just let them die and fall off if they did...Needless to say, the auto's sucked all together---the one that I trimmed ended up being a total waste of space and it seemed like it stunted the growth in comparison.....very shitty results, ended up using most of both plants to make oil...I'm on the fence, but I can agree that in this situation it is working well!!!

I don't know much about autos except that they'll never be in my garden. Try defoliation with some regular MJ plants and I bet you'll like what you see. Best of luck my friend and thanks for stopping by.

I don't know much about autos except that they'll never be in my garden. Try defoliation with some regular MJ plants and I bet you'll like what you see. Best of luck my friend and thanks for stopping by.

I agree, I just fell into all the hype of timing,small, easy, and etc...They say they have all the kinks worked out but I found that to be untrue..I now have some Kandy Kush and Blueberry that are regular plants..I was scared to cut off the fan leaves on these at first but I think it will be in my best interest now...I need more light in the lower part of the canopy and can only get it from cutting fans off...Thank you for the advice and I will cut'em and see what happens....Good luck to you my friend and hope you have an enormous yield:thumb::thumb::thumb:

420fied,
When I have the space to give it a try, I am going to do a hybrid grow using your SOG/hempy/trimming method and DIME's DIY CFL setup. Looks like it would be a very efficient and effective way to produce a constant harvest. Just need the extra room now.

I think it's awesome to see so many successful grows using every possible combination of lights and media. I keep a very open mind on methods and the proof is in the results.

Well done!

With this being a perpetual harvest, I will have some good reading for years to come.

Xare,

Obviously I was a big fan of your White Poison grows. Are you still running your autofed SOG? Are you still running WP?

Also, if I remember correctly, you set your autodrippers so that you had minimal to 0 runoff with your pots. If I recall correctly, you got those beautiful results without flushing your girls. Am i correct on this? Your thoughts are always appreciated here.

In fact, if you could dig up a pic of some of your finished WP in 2 liters right before you chopped them, I'm sure everyone here would like to see what a 2 liter Hempy pot can produce and I have no problem with you posting the pictures here. Thanks in advance.

Good growing everyone!

:thumb:

Yea, ive just been laying low the last few months and trying out a few different things with the WP hempy sog

The drip irrigation is set to come on for 8 or so mins a day and the drippers deliver about 5 ounces of nute water with every feeding. This keeps the buckets somewhere between having a Half full rez and a totally full rez. I get along well with very little run off being caught by the little dishes that my two liters sit in.

Every two weeks or so I do a Half assed flush. I turn on the pump and allow it to pump an extra amount of nutes into all the hempys. This displaces some of the old nutes in all the hempy rez's with fresh nutes and fills my catch dishes with flushed excess. The only time I would flush with clear pure water (besides the end) is if something went wrong and the plants were over fertilized. But I am pretty meticulous about my measurements when I do nutes.

Ive been thinking of upgrading my catch pans to an 8 inch plastic saucer.

8 inch GREEN PREMIUM PLASTIC SAUCER 96/CASE [724905] - Pots / Containers - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source

What I like about these little dishes is that it allows me to spread the buckets apart from each other and have space between them where my lower branches can fill in and grow buds. Instead of having them in a tub where they have to be right next to each other.

When they are spread out a bit it allows the light from the hps to penetrate deep into the canopy.

White Poison day 22

wwxdp_day_22_frost_2.jpg

day 26

wwxdp_day_26_top_portion.jpg

wwxdp_day_26_top_cola.jpg

day 40

wwxdp_day_40_clone_2.jpg

Before Harvest

2nd_WP_harvest_4.jpg

Defoliated Clone

wwxdp_defoil_harvest_full_shot_clone.jpg

Grp defoil

wwxdp_after_defol_day_45_grp_2.jpg

Side Bud

wwxdp_defoil_harvest_side_bud.jpg

420fied,
When I have the space to give it a try, I am going to do a hybrid grow using your SOG/hempy/trimming method and DIME's DIY CFL setup. Looks like it would be a very efficient and effective way to produce a constant harvest. Just need the extra room now.

I think it's awesome to see so many successful grows using every possible combination of lights and media. I keep a very open mind on methods and the proof is in the results.

Well done!

With this being a perpetual harvest, I will have some good reading for years to come.

Steve I've got a 400w light now, but I first started thinking this would be a good grow model when I was all cfl's. The one thing you don't get with cfl's is good light penetration, and I think that a sog like this is your best shot for maximizing your lights. Just get as many on them as you can.

Steve I've got a 400w light now, but I first started thinking this would be a good grow model when I was all cfl's. The one thing you don't get with cfl's is good light penetration, and I think that a sog like this is your best shot for maximizing your lights. Just get as many on them as you can.

Bluedog,
I have about $2k invested in LEDs so I will stick with them for now. Since I am in a height restricted space, the CFL SCROG approach would have been a good alternative. I am going to try it out when I have a little extra space, more as a side project to augment the LED grow. I am all about trying new ideas that have proven results and this grow along with DIME's has piqued my curiosity.

:goodjob:

Thanks for the posts Xare and thanks for posting pictures of your WP. Your WP gets so damn frosty! I love it!! I hope you'll stick around for the rest of the run as your input is always valued and appreciated here.

Thanks to everyone who is contributing and good growing.

420fied,

Well done!

Thanks Steve. Seeing a 2 liter SOG certainly opened my eyes. I appreciate the feedback.

Hey 420fied, I'm back from the Tornado's wanted to stop by and see the progress of the pro grow ;)

Looking forward to the next pic update my friend

:passitleft:

Seeing a 2 liter sog is awesome. I wonder if that type of medium mix would work well with using wicks. I recently deleafed my plants on 20th day of flower. I learned the timing through multiple scrog grows waiting for the stretch to end (or forcing the stretch to end using bushmaster). Seeing the method used in these sog grows is very very interesting to watch and makes so many ideals come up. You wouldn't happen to know how tall you can go before the 2 liter bottle runs out of room (and how many veg days maybe)?

Hey 420fied, I'm back from the Tornado's wanted to stop by and see the progress of the pro grow ;)

Looking forward to the next pic update my friend

:passitleft:

I was worried about you! I'm glad that you're OK. It's always good to see you but especially good after those storms. Positive energy to you my friend.

Seeing a 2 liter sog is awesome. I wonder if that type of medium mix would work well with using wicks. I recently deleafed my plants on 20th day of flower. I learned the timing through multiple scrog grows waiting for the stretch to end (or forcing the stretch to end using bushmaster). Seeing the method used in these sog grows is very very interesting to watch and makes so many ideals come up. You wouldn't happen to know how tall you can go before the 2 liter bottle runs out of room (and how many veg days maybe)?

Mr Smith,

Xare would know better than I. He actually kept his mothers in 2 liters at 1 point. I'm not sure how long he left them in the 2 liter bottles but I know it was a while and they got really big, showing no signs of having root bound issues. Hopefully, he sees your post and weighs in. Thanks for stopping by again.

Good growing everyone

The vermiculite in the hempy media mix acts as a wick. It helps to draw water up from the hempy rez and keeps the perlite above the rez damp. More damp then if the verm was not there. In effect a hempy with 25% verm and 75% perlite has a larger root zone then a 100% perlite hempy. The top couple inches of an all perlite hempy dries out and roots will not grow well at the top.

Ive had clones in two liter hempys that finish about 36 inches tall.

Mothers as well get to be about 3 feet tall by 1 foot wide before they reach the limiting factor of the two liter hempy, which is water not root space. When they get this big they can drink up the entire two liter hempy rez in less than a day.

The longest I have vegged a clone in a two liter before putting into 12/12 is about a month.

I used to run an indica strain that needed extra veg time go get them to finish at the right size. But these days I take rooted clones of White Poison a sativa hybrid, and put them right into flower after a short stabilization period. (couple days in veg after transplant) They will triple in size when put in flower. So if it starts off 7 inches it will end up around 21 inches.

Just under 2 feet is optimal for a hempy SOG I have found. Because with clones that end up 3 feet tall the lower buds get less intense light. No point in growing wispy little lower buds that are only good for hash.

The vermiculite in the hempy media mix acts as a wick. It helps to draw water up from the hempy rez and keeps the perlite above the rez damp. More damp then if the verm was not there. In effect a hempy with 25% verm and 75% perlite has a larger root zone then a 100% perlite hempy. The top couple inches of an all perlite hempy dries out and roots will not grow well at the top.

Ive had clones in two liter hempys that finish about 36 inches tall.

Mothers as well get to be about 3 feet tall by 1 foot wide before they reach the limiting factor of the two liter hempy, which is water not root space. When they get this big they can drink up the entire two liter hempy rez in less than a day.

The longest I have vegged a clone in a two liter before putting into 12/12 is about a month.

I used to run an indica strain that needed extra veg time go get them to finish at the right size. But these days I take rooted clones of White Poison a sativa hybrid, and put them right into flower after a short stabilization period. (couple days in veg after transplant) They will triple in size when put in flower. So if it starts off 7 inches it will end up around 21 inches.

Just under 2 feet is optimal for a hempy SOG I have found. Because with clones that end up 3 feet tall the lower buds get less intense light. No point in growing wispy little lower buds that are only good for hash.

Thanks for the clarification on the mothers my friend. I never would have imagined keeping a mother in a 2 liter until I read your WP journal. Your feedback is always appreciated here.

Now my moms are in 1 gallons hempys because its a bit safer when they are large.

They give me a few more cuts per mom in the 1 gallons over the two liters.

Recently I have had success reusing my media. And Ive been keeping an eye out for good 1 gallon containers to eventually replace the rest of my old two liters.

1 gallon hempys will yield 25% more in a sog but its twice as much media.

Ive been washing my media out in large tubs with alot of water till the perlite floats and I can scoop away that perlite with a large strainer. But vermiculite sinks. So after I remove all the floating perlite I pour off the flush water until all that is left is the verm. Which gets mixed with the washed perlite.

Seems to work ok but not fun to do in the winter :)

Now my moms are in 1 gallons hempys because its a bit safer when they are large.

They give me a few more cuts per mom in the 1 gallons over the two liters.

Recently I have had success reusing my media. And Ive been keeping an eye out for good 1 gallon containers to eventually replace the rest of my old two liters.

1 gallon hempys will yield 25% more in a sog but its twice as much media.

Ive been washing my media out in large tubs with alot of water till the perlite floats and I can scoop away that perlite with a large strainer. But vermiculite sinks. So after I remove all the floating perlite I pour off the flush water until all that is left is the verm. Which gets mixed with the washed perlite.

Seems to work ok but not fun to do in the winter :)

I read that you were toying with re-using the medium and I have kicked it around. However, it's easier to run to the local greenhouse where they keep huge bags of both for $28.00. It's the thrifty way to go but it's too much work for this lazy man... lol

I remember you getting like 22g dried out of your 1 gallon hempy tester in your WP journal. I thought about using larger pots but I am going for max yield /space given, and stacking 2 liters side by side are the way to go to get that done.

I'm curious to see what each clone averages in this run. I remember you getting what? 16.8g per plant when you defoliated on your last run?

Yea my average for defoliated clones is the 16.8 g per plant in two liters. I get around 420 grams under my 600 hps each run with 5 rows of 5 hempy.

Your close stacked sog is making some nice lolly's that will be very easy to trim.

And those extra numbers add up nice.

Back
Top Bottom