Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

Re: Come SOG with me. 112 plant, 2 liter, Hempy SOG

I can say for fact that the bud sites of trimmed plants have longer pistols and develop more quickly from day 1 - 26 The "hairs" are more developed more quickly. At the same time with 100% fact, you can cut out stretch by removing almost all of the fan leaves on a plant right before switching to twelve.

As for yield, untrimmed plants are bigger yes but the bud is more evenly developed on trimmed plants like these ones. So I would say, I'd rather a few more trimmed plants in my grow than dealing with wild light/air blocking foliage the whole time.

It takes time to trim a grow, so if you have a end date, don't cut.
If you have a weight goal, either no trim or add a few plants,
But if you have no restraints, and you are looking for the fully, then I say trim it, bonsai the shit out of it, plan ahead and then you have the best coming of age, it only took two more weeks and you get the benefit of the light penetration, under artificial lights I say it's necessary.

I can say for fact that the bud sites of trimmed plants have longer pistols and develop more quickly from day 1 - 26 The "hairs" are more developed more quickly. At the same time with 100% fact, you can cut out stretch by removing almost all of the fan leaves on a plant right before switching to twelve.

As for yield, untrimmed plants are bigger yes but the bud is more evenly developed on trimmed plants like these ones. So I would say, I'd rather a few more trimmed plants in my grow than dealing with wild light/air blocking foliage the whole time.

It takes time to trim a grow, so if you have a end date, don't cut.
If you have a weight goal, either no trim or add a few plants,
But if you have no restraints, and you are looking for the fully, then I say trim it, bonsai the shit out of it, plan ahead and then you have the best coming of age, it only took two more weeks and you get the benefit of the light penetration, under artificial lights I say it's necessary.

"As for yield, untrimmed plants are bigger yes but the bud is more evenly developed on trimmed plants like these ones. " and "If you have a weight goal, either no trim or add a few plants" <---I'm not sure what you mean by this but I take it that it's your opinion that untrimmed plants will outyield defoliated plants??

If so I respectfully disagree with you. In fact, in my opinion, defolaition is the smart play when growing indoors.(I think we agree on that)

My control plant is larger overall but not taller or wider. If you limit the plants stretch in 12/12 with trimming the yield is smaller because the plant didn't stretch. But the only way I do it is to trim and trim and trim and trim...

I would say that buds are just better on trimmed plants.

I am not trying to get ya to speed up your cloning, just showing ya how to get the most out of it. The stronger the roots grow from the clipping the stronger the plant. I have been doin this for a long time and cloned every which way possible. Use the info if you want or not its your call. The proof of explosion of roots is in the pics and the days are accurate. What I look for in cloning is consistant strengh and size of root mass within a 2 week margin. I am a guy who sometimes take 100 plus clones at a time and when you have to clone like that you take steps to get the most out of your clones and mums. I am learning from your grows so I wanted to contribute, that all. Stay green, Im done.

I am not trying to get ya to speed up your cloning, just showing ya how to get the most out of it. The stronger the roots grow from the clipping the stronger the plant. I have been doin this for a long time and cloned every which way possible. Use the info if you want or not its your call. The proof of explosion of roots is in the pics and the days are accurate. What I look for in cloning is consistant strengh and size of root mass within a 2 week margin. I am a guy who sometimes take 100 plus clones at a time and when you have to clone like that you take steps to get the most out of your clones and mums. I am learning from your grows so I wanted to contribute, that all. Stay green, Im done.

I thought about my earlier post after I made it and left the house. Let me explain...

I think we have a misunderstanding and I'm to blame. I may have came across as offended when in reality what I meant to say and should have said was " You're advice is both appreciated and correct. I simply feel that adequate results are good enough at this point and I will re-evaluate."

I'd yield to you when it comes to knowledge of aero cloning, and growing this style, any time. I appreciate and value your input and hope to see you here again.

Whats up 420fied, a little late to the party but damn glad I finally did. Wonderful journal with some great information as always. Very thorough you are. As for the defoliation, there is no denying that it works very well. Just not sure what happened with me. But I digress, very nice job and glad you are back in action with your journal. Always lots of great information..

I didn't think that. I just like your grow style and wished to contribute. I have been growin 7 plus years and tried many different styles and methods but I never grew in the way your growing right now so I am taking a keen interest. I have sog and scrog and bend and twist, cut and stripped but never taken off every lateral branch. I have done 4 plant to 40 plant grows but only recently dipped my hand into higher plant numbers only I went vertical instead of controling the plant the way you are doing now. Judging by this grow style I think you have a good understanding of light spread verses light penetration and I have already watched you grow very nice plants except the outdoor. I don't do outdoor so I have no interest in it. I do have alot of interest in this grow style so I would like to see you do your best. Clones are garanteed females, they are free if you own the mum, and they are more controlable but are not as strong as a plant from seed and yeild less. To compensate for the lower yeild or surpass the amount you get from a plant from seed you create more clones. Now back to light spread versus light penetration. My grow styles always went towards controlling the canopy trying to keep it even with it being trimmed up high enough to reduce or eliminate popcorn bud. I cloned for years trying to get the most out of the least amount of time and then did it again to find out the output of longer or shorter or no veg times. I started reaching reaching stagnant harvest numbers and bought light movers to increase light spread and found the farther you spread the light the more it effected the tightness and quality of the bud. Now I am trying vertical to get maximum light spread with good penetrstion for high quality bud. You went in a different direction and went towards maximum light penetration. This is why I am so interested in this grow op. I want to see ya get the most out of it and I am a firm believer that having a stronger root structure creates a stronger plant. I normally don't post much in other peoples threads these days and keep to myself but I am stuck at home with alot of trimming to do so I am high and tired of clip clip clip snip snip snip. Sorry for rambling on and on. Good luck with ur grow and I will be watching for sure dude.

I need to figure out how to get my plants to stretch like that.. 420, would you say its the nutes or just strain dependent?

I need to figure out how to get my plants to stretch like that.. 420, would you say its the nutes or just strain dependent?

I think there are a lot of variables when it comes to stretch. It's my opinion that the two things that affect stretch the most are: the lights and the strain.

Yours aren't stretching?

Whats up 420fied, a little late to the party but damn glad I finally did. Wonderful journal with some great information as always. Very thorough you are. As for the defoliation, there is no denying that it works very well. Just not sure what happened with me. But I digress, very nice job and glad you are back in action with your journal. Always lots of great information..

Thank you my friend.

I didn't think that. I just like your grow style and wished to contribute. I have been growin 7 plus years and tried many different styles and methods but I never grew in the way your growing right now so I am taking a keen interest. I have sog and scrog and bend and twist, cut and stripped but never taken off every lateral branch. I have done 4 plant to 40 plant grows but only recently dipped my hand into higher plant numbers only I went vertical instead of controling the plant the way you are doing now. Judging by this grow style I think you have a good understanding of light spread verses light penetration and I have already watched you grow very nice plants except the outdoor. I don't do outdoor so I have no interest in it. I do have alot of interest in this grow style so I would like to see you do your best. Clones are garanteed females, they are free if you own the mum, and they are more controlable but are not as strong as a plant from seed and yeild less. To compensate for the lower yeild or surpass the amount you get from a plant from seed you create more clones. Now back to light spread versus light penetration. My grow styles always went towards controlling the canopy trying to keep it even with it being trimmed up high enough to reduce or eliminate popcorn bud. I cloned for years trying to get the most out of the least amount of time and then did it again to find out the output of longer or shorter or no veg times. I started reaching reaching stagnant harvest numbers and bought light movers to increase light spread and found the farther you spread the light the more it effected the tightness and quality of the bud. Now I am trying vertical to get maximum light spread with good penetrstion for high quality bud. You went in a different direction and went towards maximum light penetration. This is why I am so interested in this grow op. I want to see ya get the most out of it and I am a firm believer that having a stronger root structure creates a stronger plant. I normally don't post much in other peoples threads these days and keep to myself but I am stuck at home with alot of trimming to do so I am high and tired of clip clip clip snip snip snip. Sorry for rambling on and on. Good luck with ur grow and I will be watching for sure dude.

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm sure a man can get bored with superlatives, So I will not be adding to them. Hopefully a simple Thank You will suffice

Some people do not share their knowledge person to person, Tradesman to trainee, So for you to share yours with strangers is an honorable thing

Good luck and God speed

Thank you.

I think there are a lot of variables when it comes to stretch. It's my opinion that the two things that affect stretch the most are: the lights and the strain.

Yours aren't stretching?

they do stretch, but not like yours. If i were to flower a rooted clone that was about 3" tall, it would probably only be 10-12" by the time it was done. My indica dominant girls don't stretch near as much as the sativa doms and I'm just running 1 600W HPS for bloom. Reason I mentioned nutes is I don't nute much during the stretch process just because I usually transplant from 1 gal into 3 gal and anytime I gave them a small veg nute boost in stretch they show slight burns, so I back off the nutes and let the soil carry them through. I never see deficiencies though. They usually get 1 shot of veg nutes in the first couple weeks and then I switch to bloom nutes once a week when the buds are forming. I tried feeding more but they just end up getting burned, even at 1/2 strength. Might have to change my nute selection.

Just caught up on the grow, looking great!:tokin:

they do stretch, but not like yours. If i were to flower a rooted clone that was about 3" tall, it would probably only be 10-12" by the time it was done. My indica dominant girls don't stretch near as much as the sativa doms and I'm just running 1 600W HPS for bloom. Reason I mentioned nutes is I don't nute much during the stretch process just because I usually transplant from 1 gal into 3 gal and anytime I gave them a small veg nute boost in stretch they show slight burns, so I back off the nutes and let the soil carry them through. I never see deficiencies though. They usually get 1 shot of veg nutes in the first couple weeks and then I switch to bloom nutes once a week when the buds are forming. I tried feeding more but they just end up getting burned, even at 1/2 strength. Might have to change my nute selection.

Interesting. Snow White likes to stretch 3x it's starting size when it flowers no matter what type of nutes I give it. I've grown this strain for years and they are finishing a little taller in the Hempy pots than I thought they would. I thought they'd finish in the 16" range and they are finishing in the 18-20" range. When I plant the clones most of them are only 4 or 5 inches tall. What strains are you running? How far are your lights off of the tops of your plants? Can you point out parts of your journal that I should go take a look at?

Just caught up on the grow, looking great!:tokin:

Thank you. I hope you stop back by.

hey fied and crimson, i dont know if youve grown in soil fied but there is definetlly going to be some stretch limitation caused there, also no nutes compared to some nutes is going to factor in as well. and as u said 2 fied strain and light are going 2 be 2 of the dominant factors in this situation.

I cant say how happy I am that I stumbled across this on, I know I've posted a few times but tonight I have a total of 45 clones in red solo cups, I transplanted 9 of my clones that vegged for a week in those red solo cups into 2 liters, and I have 11 more in the cloner that were put in 3-4 days after the others and were actually some larger clones that have roots popped but need some more roots before I transplant. So by the end of the week I'll have close to 60 clones rooted and starting to veg.

The first 9 in 2 liters are in soil/perlite, 6 coco/perlite hempies and whatever number is left is in soil waiting to fill out the solos with roots. The last 10-11 in the cloner may go in straight coco or possibly soil, not 100% but that is the only variable I haven't settled on, medium. I need another 4 cu. foot bag of perlite to make some true hempies but your method with the defoliation is the way to go dude. Not a whole lot of trimming after the fact, basically chop the plant and hang/dry, then cure it and thats it, 1/8th, 1/4ths and half zips (me probably leaning toward the 1/8ths) basically on a stick and as I said not a whole lot of trimming after you dry (correct???).

But thanks again 420 and all the others that are giving growers like me the kind of info that takes a lot to learn on your own.

Can't wait to see how this ends.

Quick q? 420, are you taping or Covering the 2 liters u use with tape or something to prevent light getting in and causing algae??? I was gonna do mine tonight but I am curious to see how long it takes to fill out a 2L with roots...

Thanks again dude, I was already going this way but after a little tinkering today with my clones it's a no brainer to do it the way you are in my position. I just need to get the flowering 5 out of my tent so I can't replace it with the flowering 105....

Looking awesome 420fied.

Do you expect there to be any foliage on the plants when you begin to flush for the last few weeks of flower? I'm just wondering how the plants handle that - if they can't pull nutrients from their foliage, what exactly happens?

Interesting. Snow White likes to stretch 3x it's starting size when it flowers no matter what type of nutes I give it. I've grown this strain for years and they are finishing a little taller in the Hempy pots than I thought they would. I thought they'd finish in the 16" range and they are finishing in the 18-20" range. When I plant the clones most of them are only 4 or 5 inches tall. What strains are you running? How far are your lights off of the tops of your plants? Can you point out parts of your journal that I should go take a look at?

I'm thinking its definitely strain being my biggest factor. I'm primarily dealing with nirvana's wonder woman, although I have noticed both seeds I grew were 2 different phenos, one more indica and one thats more sativa, the sativa variety stretches almost to twice its size, but usually tops off there, the indica variety grows maybe 3 inches in stretch and then just sits there. My clones have been about the same size as yours lately too. I'm running a 110W T5 for veg, and usually keep the lights about 8" when first planted for a few days, then they're about an inch from the tops, after the short veg time, they go in the 600w HPS, about 8-10" from the tops. I usually have bigger plants in there so I stack them on bricks, but it usually evens out the canopy.

Haven't really been a good journaler lately, without batteries in the cam I get lazy

I cant say how happy I am that I stumbled across this on, I know I've posted a few times but tonight I have a total of 45 clones in red solo cups, I transplanted 9 of my clones that vegged for a week in those red solo cups into 2 liters, and I have 11 more in the cloner that were put in 3-4 days after the others and were actually some larger clones that have roots popped but need some more roots before I transplant. So by the end of the week I'll have close to 60 clones rooted and starting to veg.

The first 9 in 2 liters are in soil/perlite, 6 coco/perlite hempies and whatever number is left is in soil waiting to fill out the solos with roots. The last 10-11 in the cloner may go in straight coco or possibly soil, not 100% but that is the only variable I haven't settled on, medium. I need another 4 cu. foot bag of perlite to make some true hempies but your method with the defoliation is the way to go dude. Not a whole lot of trimming after the fact, basically chop the plant and hang/dry, then cure it and thats it, 1/8th, 1/4ths and half zips (me probably leaning toward the 1/8ths) basically on a stick and as I said not a whole lot of trimming after you dry (correct???).

But thanks again 420 and all the others that are giving growers like me the kind of info that takes a lot to learn on your own.

Can't wait to see how this ends.

Quick q? 420, are you taping or Covering the 2 liters u use with tape or something to prevent light getting in and causing algae??? I was gonna do mine tonight but I am curious to see how long it takes to fill out a 2L with roots...

Thanks again dude, I was already going this way but after a little tinkering today with my clones it's a no brainer to do it the way you are in my position. I just need to get the flowering 5 out of my tent so I can't replace it with the flowering 105....

I'm glad this journal has helped you streamline your ideas and I wish you the best of luck in your journey. Good question on the coverings. I have a 5000 BTU, AC in the window and it keeps the room at 70* with both lights on, which to this point, has been cool enough that I'm not seeing any algae. If I saw it I would make some covers. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom