Complete Newbie

Highlander30

So I've decided to start growing my own plant but not for me but for my father in law who has terminal cancer I've read off all the benefits and think it could help in some way but I'm a complete newbie this is my first time so I know I will make a ton of mistakes and my current set up is a cardboard box lined with tinfoil I know this is not the best but funds are tight, I have purchased a £40 grow tent from eBay so hopefully that will help when it arrives by doing this journal I'm hoping the more experienced of you will guide me in the right direction and offer helpful tips just remember I'm a complete newbie at this so please be patient :) I have some photos of my current progress I'm a week in to the grow the plant is an afghan 47
IMG_20151031_115946.jpg

Hello good luck with this.What light you use?If its clf keep em close to the plan.About 4''-5''

Hi yea its a cfl light with a 1000 lummen
IMG_20151031_115856.jpg
not sure if that's strong enough I originally had an led bulb but the plant was starting to look very stretchy at the moment I havnt put any nutrition in it as I'm using miracle gro enriched compost although I've read that miracle gro isn't the best soil to use

Well my father in law has helped me alot especially when I was out of work he's a good guy and will be marrying his daughter in 6 weeks so I want to try and do something for him in return he's been told he has a couple of months left to live as the chemo isn't working even if my wee plant dosnt prolong whatever time he has left at least his pain will be less and he is already taking the cannibis oil but I'm unsure how effective that stuff is since it was bought on amazon

Greetings Highlander, you are doing a good thing.

I would suggest however that the foil may cause you problems, especially with that very capable light there. Foil and its funny way of crinkling up tends to create hot spots in the grow area and I would be very cautious of that. I have seen a lot of burned leaves on seedlings as a result of DIY boxes like what you have put together. If I may suggest, in the camping section of walmart they sell mylar reflective emergency gear for like $2, and you can easily strip that mylar down and use it to line your box... much more reflective and no crinkles. Also, surprisingly, just painting the inside of that box with a glossy white paint would actually reflect more light than you think, and without the hot spot problem.

Another piece of advice is to stop misting as soon as you can water without the seedling moving around in that soil... and that won't take much longer. Drops of water on the leaves can act like mini magnifying glasses and can actually cook a leaf under a bright light. It is about time to put the mister away and to learn the "lift" method to determine when to water, and then to start saturating that soil every few days so as to entice a root ball to form in that small container.

also, as far as nutrition goes.... that is what the soil is for. You should not ever need to "feed" a young plant that is being successively up-potted each time it outgrows a container. Think of fertilizers as vitamins... as supplements... not food. Over watering by watering too often is the most common mistake new growers of weed make, and over fertilizing is the second. Let the soil do its work... it does a fine job outside in nature every day... no reason that rule has to change just because it is an indoor plant in a box. :)

Wish you great luck on your grow. And remember, you've got at least 90-120, possibly more, days ahead of you so be patient. As for nutes, rememeber, less is more. I'm finishing up two indoor plants this week and I barely gave them any nutes during their entire time, veg and flowering, and even with that I can see the leaf tips browning and curling from nute burn. A little goes a long way.

Thanks for all the tips :thumb: its a good feeling when I know people will help you out. I have a grow box on its way to me hopefully come by Monday I don't like the idea of my plant getting fried I'm hoping the one I got will do the job it was the cheapest one I could find :(
Screenshot_20151031-165228.png
will I need to get a stronger light? As I live in Scotland the winter is drawing in what is the ideal temperature I need to keep them snug also do I need a fan for just 1 plant?

Just a small breeze, enough to make the plant slightly sway will add strength to the stem. When you switch to flower (at the latest) you may need a fan/carbon filter to help with the odor as it can get strong. It may not bother you and is not something you have to run right out and get, just something to think about down the road.

looks like a good setup and a good price... and yes, you need a fan. That fan in the picture is designed to sit right on top of that carbon filter and then to blow filtered air out of the tent. This creates a negative pressure that causes the passive air intake vents around the bottom of the tent to swing open and let in fresh air. Plants need fresh air as much as they need water and light.

I will keep you all updated on ma progress and hopefully ma grow box will arrive tomorrow I will put up pictures so you can see what I'm doing

Thanks for everyone's help it really is appreciated :)

Right so box is up and looking good light is in only problem is no airfilter or fan came with it I only got the box which I should of realised with the price being so low so I will have to order those bits later or if anyone knows a good hardware store where I can get it in the UK? I've also started a new plant which popped it's head today so pretty chuffed with that

Back
Top Bottom