Decoding The Holy Grail: Terpene & Cannabinoid Retention: Decarb to Extraction

Thread update,
The moderators did a little editing of posts last night and a number of members were sent official notifications (PMs). I have not checked to see how much they removed yet.

This is the short version of the sites reasoning.
They support what we are doing. However, they have legal issues with discussing funding in an open forum. Frankly I was expecting them to take the position they have taken. They really don't have a choice. There is no reason to be upset with the site. They are just doing what they have to do.

I want to check with SS and the moderators about some ideas.

In the meantime we move on.

Best
Canyon

Well the Mods just deleted 4 pages of our posts relating to monetary support for our endeavor. I understand their position. We voluntarily set up some checks and balances to avoid possible sleaziness because I knew there was potential for abuse. Our heart was pure and remains so. I am certain, buy the tone of their email, that they are 100% behind our efforts. Others possibly got the email or similar. I would like to thank Teddy for taking the time to write the explanation and well wishes. He could have just deleted them and sent us a copy of the rules. We knew what we were doing was flirting with a no-no and had even asked for clarification.

That being said, We are moving forward. If anyone would like uhhh... info.... on our project next week, speak up. Just request info. Sue and I will figure something out....like dragging parts of my email through multiple posts to thwart the bots. I will be mentioning online those involved in the project this weekend. There can be no more mention of money! By the time we do another study (probably another member), we will have enough PM & email info to get it done behind the scenes. Thank you all!

Moving forward. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

Thank you all, for the calm and mature response. This doesn't stop us from completing the project, it simply shifts parts of the conversation to grounds safer for everyone involved.

A lot of effort goes on behind the scenes to keep our playground safe. I have great admiration for the staff and readily adapt to their will.

Moving forward. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

Thank you all, for the calm and mature response. This doesn't stop us from completing the project, it simply shifts parts of the conversation to grounds safer for everyone involved.

A lot of effort goes on behind the scenes to keep our playground safe. I have great admiration for the staff and readily adapt to their will.

What Sue said :Namaste::cco::smokin::love:

KeithVi

Gmail is a good choice. Now your verbal popularity is going to drop but you will remain in our hearts. lol Thank you sir! And anyone else interested in info that was following that string, feel free to use to get info.

Well,
We have achieved good infusion with less heat and time than is required to do more than a trivial amount of decarb.

We also know that shredding or picking apart buds keeps the carrier oil clean compared to blending the material.

From TashaLit's post we know that infusion amounts in the 5% range are achievable with dried buds.

So,
With the cleaner oil, lower heat and time, we could use the infused oil to run a second batch of buds. Without the decarb heat, there should be less degrading of the cannabinoids than taking both batches through full decarb.

Another interesting possibility would be to decarb the buds first. If the Ardent decarboxyolater performs well we could have the beginnings of a monitored decarb and low heat infusion process. A pressure cooker could have some benefits as well.

Most of this testing could be done with the tCheck.

I hesitate to start anything before Kickn gets here. I am not that sure how much material he will need.

The terpene test probably will not be available before midday Monday.

Kickn,
I am running a decarb with some popcorn now in the Ardent. There were no instructions. I filled the canister half full placed it in the unit covered it with the plastic/rubbery thinge, put the lid on and pushed the green button. It turned red. Now I am waiting for the return of the green light. I will try them in a volcano in a few hours.

Thanks for all the support!
Best

Canyon,
You don't need instructions. You did it. It's simple if nothing else. They say don't go over 14 g at a time. I was thinking we could do everything with an oz. I wasnt trying for quantity, just a few simultaneous runs with time changes and 2 separate decarb methods.

Canyon, and others;
I work under the assumption that cbn does not form as quickly as the famous graph shows with the methods in use here. Secondly, that excessive heat is not necessary for extraction. Therefore, I see no reason why you can't do an extraction, strain it and immediately add additional decarbed bud and run it again to beef up the solution. I just recommend you run your extractions in the 150-165f range. These are not magic numbers. It's simply hot enough to help with the stripping of the thc. Heat pretty much helps everything dissolve better. My extraction time assumption is 2 hrs. We will know for sure next week. I believe i already tested a 6 hr and it did not increase but not positive.

Now, these are assumptions. If anyone already knows we should be cranking up the heat please shout out asap. Talking about extractions here, not decarb. And, I am starting with fully decarbed weed of course. I do know I got all worried once because my brew ran up to 250-255 for about 1/2 hr during the process. Figured CBN city. Nope. It was excellent. That was pre tcheck so I don't know what strength they turned out to be. But, with the mtls I was using, I had no thc to spare. lol. So, the moral is, once again, CBN doesn't form as fast as some think. The heat did not hurt it but did it help?

Another thing. By testing the starting material beforehand, we can already see the puzzle pieces. It answers so many questions before we start. We already know how much cannabinoids & terpenes we have at our disposal. So, at least as far as a total cannabinoid count goes, we know when we have it all, or all that's coming out without A NEW TRICK via the tcheck. It is so much simpler to see where you stand when you already have the answers that you are looking for. Which is why I'm flying 2000 mi. It's worth it to me...and at least several others based upon their unhesitating monetary support, to know once and for all how much more work is needed on the extraction part. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom