Decoding The Holy Grail: Terpene & Cannabinoid Retention: Decarb to Extraction

I have paid for the original Nightmare Cookies tests, so that is covered. I was going to have extended tests run on the air dried buds from the Extreme plant to ensure we had all the data we may need for future test.

A future test for terpenes from low n slow dried buds from the Extreme plant would tell us what is different between the two drying methods. That would be on my wish list.

For oil testing, standard tests for cannabinoids and terpenes should be all we would need. As of now, those tests on the last oil sample will gain us the most information. I can and will at least front that cost. It would be nice to have those test back before Kickn arrives but I don't think I can do any better than drop them off the day he arrives.

I want to talk with the lab techs about dropping off samples in multiple states to a common account and how to handle payments. They may have some ideas on what may work as well.

Does anyone have pricing information from other labs?

This is the current pricing for Steep Hill in NM. + sales tax.
Steep_Hill_Price.jpg

im a quiet one in the corner reading all this , I spend hours daily on treads from a handful or you folks so thank you for the wisdom you choose to share, Personalities can come through in the words read on these forums, the information and good vibes here are priceless.

Will the tests be for terps also, that the full test right???

Scorpio420- We are still plotting the course here but there will be full tests at key points. You must have a full profile of the starting mtl which we already have. Then you will need a full profile of the oil. As for in between, I think a cannabinoid test here and there will suffice. The tcheck will save a lot of tests in that we will monitor the strength of the oil often for free. We are running a jar/oven decarb along side the Nova. That will call for at least a cannabinoid test right there. (So, a lot of these tests will be doubled). Most are still using some form of decarb like the oven or sous vide (sp). And if $200 gadgets are not in your budget, then we may as well nail down a time/temp for that. The Nova eliminates almost all the smell which is a necessity for a lot of people. It also precisely controls the temp/time to a preset assumption. Beyond that, it's not magic. But if their model is correct, it should be extremely consistent. I already know what the assumption is so we will use that as a guide for the oven...or oil bath or whatever Canyon is in the mood for. The heat source is not all that important. It's the temp/time and regulation of heat that is key. The exception is the pressure cooker. The addition of pressure may or may not hold terpenes. I am skeptical on that one because it seems to be asking a lot for something to undergo enough violence to be forced into the atmosphere and then settle back down on the buds like snowfall unharmed. Does the added pressure keep them from escaping in the first place???...Terpenes have a low pressure but I'm having trouble with that one also. But again, without testing we will never know. The Pressure cooker was not on my list to test but if Canyon is willing, we can give it a try. If not, all we have done will lay the groundwork for someone to finish it up at a reasonable cost.

To clarify,
I have about 2 ounces of low and slow dried bud from a Nightmare Cookies plant that I have had extended terp and cannabinoid tests run. I do not have air dried samples for this plant.

I have also harvested an Extreme OG plant that I have an air dried sample set aside for testing. There is about 100g wet weight of buds that the sample came from in the frig drying. This is the plant I made the infused oil with and took the samples from.

On the 15th I will have extended tests run on the bud sample and standard tests run on the last oil sample.

All total, I should have about 3 ounces from two strains with full starting tests.

Beyond that I have enough material to make small batch extractions, shake some kief, and make a little rosen.

Pressure cooker
If anyone has oil made with a pressure cooker and is in a position to have a terpene test run on it, that would tell us what is retained.

Olive for consumption, but I would be curious to see how grape seed oil performs since it is used in topical applications. :blushsmile:
Olive oil is still the best for extraction and use. It has long chain fatty acids which make it more absorbable than coconut oils' medium chain FA's.

Grape seed oil, like Olive oil has a high smoke point, which makes it a great substitute, with the exception of it's high Omega 6 profile (and almost no Omaha 3's). The Omega 6, and 9's, too, are inflammatory components of some oils. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory. Personally, I'm fighting an inflammatory auto-immune disease, PMR, so staying away from oils like Grape seed is better for me, and better for any patient fighting inflammatory diseases, like cancer.

Olive oil is still the best for extraction and use. It has long chain fatty acids which make it more absorbable than coconut oils' medium chain FA's.

Grape seed oil, like Olive oil has a high smoke point, which makes it a great substitute, with the exception of it's high Omega 6 profile (and almost no Omaha 3's). The Omega 6, and 9's, too, are inflammatory components of some oils. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory. Personally, I'm fighting an inflammatory auto-immune disease, PMR, so staying away from oils like Grape seed is better for me, and better for any patient fighting inflammatory diseases, like cancer.

I think any high fat oil will work to be honest. So use the one that best fits your health needs. Everything else in methodology would stay the same.

The combo pricing for cannabinoids + terpenes is $80, both for flower and infused oils, but we will give you the volume discounted price of $75. We will need 1 gram of each material for the tests.

If Steep Hill was that cheap there would be no reason not to do full spectrum tests on everything!

"Derbybud has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Worked better with Scorpio. lol check your settings to see if you need to turn something on....or maybe yu can't receive or send til you get 50. don't know. we will get around it. ahhh Sue lol.

Worked better with Scorpio. lol check your settings to see if you need to turn something on....or maybe yu can't receive or send til you get 50. don't know. we will get around it. ahhh Sue lol.[/QUOTE]
I'll try to get this worked out as I'm a noobie and last I looked a male. I'm at work and going to try on my phone if not in the morning on my pc for sure

Yeah well all we can do is ask for Steep Hill's best price. We are committed for now. But wow, that would make a big difference. Anyway, I really hate for you to make another all day trip to the lab but It would be nice to have at least a cheap cannabinoid test on some oil to keep the tcheck honest. But good lord that's a lot of driving. It's like living in a commie country that we cant ship this stuff. Uhhh Congress, are you paying any attention at all. Just be careful Canyon with the money commitment. We don't really have any in the bank yet so to speak. I can only underwrite so much...and you too. It does look like the troops are coming though.

To bad for all you Americans it's not a couple Canadians doing it. With our dollar so low you would possibly save some money. Less for you equals more to us. You give 80 for us to get 100 kinda thing.
I don't have the product or the skills or the test facilities near by,maybe someone else above the 39th is more equipped to take this task on.

My family and I use Black cumin seed oil all on its own, has lots of benefits, I'm new to the infused oil thing and hopefully someone with a little more knowledge in oils can look into this oil and see if has synergistic effect with infusion.

Back
Top Bottom