Decoding The Holy Grail: Terpene & Cannabinoid Retention: Decarb to Extraction

Hey all

Ive finished, kinda, some testing on Flowers and Oils with the Cannalytics Supply TLC test Kit. Its not to good for Oils but does give some decent results with Flowers

Her is a link to My Journal and the Post

Cannalytics Supply Testing

Yesterday I picked apart 50 grams that were harvested, washed and stored in the fridge for about two days.

Next I heated a jar of coconut oil and added 200 grams to the buds and heated it on a warming burner to about 120F and removed it from the heat. After breakfast out, I reheated it to about 120 while the oven warmed up.

Sample 1was taken after 2hr in warm oil at 80-130, average 95.

It went into a 205 oven. After about an hour the oil temperature was about 190 and I started to get some bubbles. I slowly increased the oven temp to 230 and the oil temp leveled off around 197-199 for about half an hour then it started to rise.

At 203 and 2 hours after the first sample I took sample 2.

I increased the oven temp to 250 and oil temp increased to 208 and stayed there for about an hour. I took sample 3 100 minutes after the last sample.

After another 100 minutes the temperature went to 212, the beaker volume was reduced by about 20ml and the plant material had shrunk noticeably. 30 minutes later the oil was 218 and I was only getting CO2 bubbles.

I decided to turn the oven down to 220. That was a mistake. The oil temp dropped so I went back to 250. It was about 45 min before I had the oil back to 218.

I continued with the 250 oven temp until the decarb bubbles had nearly stopped and checked the oil temp at 235. This is where I took sample 4.

I fussed with it most of the day not knowing what to expect. What I did not get, was the sudden rapid boiling with the water added process. So, this way of infusion takes very little watching.

I have no idea how efficient the infusion is. The oil looks rather clean compared to some photos I have seen of the open boil FHO method.

I have guest here for a few hours. I will post more tonight.

Yesterday I picked apart 50 grams that were harvested, washed and stored in the fridge for about two days.

Next I heated a jar of coconut oil and added 200 grams to the buds and heated it on a warming burner to about 120F and removed it from the heat. After breakfast out, I reheated it to about 120 while the oven warmed up.

It went into a 205 oven. After about an hour the oil temperature was about 190 and I started to get some bubbles. I slowly increased the oven temp to 230 and the oil temp leveled off around 197-199 for about half an hour then it started to rise.

I increased the oven temp to 250 and oil temp increased to 208 and stayed there for about an hour. I took sample 3 100 minutes after the last sample.

After another 100 minutes the temperature went to 212, the beaker volume was reduced by about 20ml and the plant material had shrunk noticeably. 30 minutes later the oil was 218 and I was only getting CO2 bubbles.

I decided to turn the oven down to 220. That was a mistake. The oil temp dropped so I went back to 250. It was about 45 min before I had the oil back to 218.

I continued with the 250 oven temp until the decarb bubbles had nearly stopped and checked the oil temp at 235. This is where I took sample 4.

I fussed with it most of the day not knowing what to expect. What I did not get, was the sudden rapid boiling with the water added process. So, this way of infusion takes very little watching.

I have no idea how efficient the infusion is. The oil looks rather clean compared to some photos I have seen of the open boil FHO method.

Now are these samples to be tested with the tcheck?

That's some great samples to test indeed, excited to see how they pan out

Wonder if this is because most of the FHO batches are made using an immersion blender to grind the bud into the oil. It seems to leave small particles with the oil that don't get strained out with cheesecloth and the like. Only way I have found to get rid of it is to leave the oil alone to let the small particles settle. Then, I can use a glass pipette with a pump to remove the clean oil from the top.

We can test them when I get there. The only thing is, we will not know about the decarb. Unfortunately the tcheck will not show the difference in thca & cbn from thc. But we will have a good idea of the quality of the extraction.

Numbers
50 grams fresh buds = 12.5 grams dry.
12.5 times 0.15% = 1.875 call it 2 grams of cannabinoids.
2 grams infused into 198 (200 is close enough) grams of coconut oil = 1% concentration or 10mg/g.

################

200g oil to start
2g cannabinoids added

16g collected as samples
168 collected at the end
18 grams were lost, probably 3g of that to transfers and spills

The tailings weighed 28 grams. I could have squeezed more out but it was too hot to get the last.
The dry weight of the plant matter less the 2g of cannabinoids would be about 10g probably more.
15g unrecovered after accounting for spills plus 10g plant material = 25g V 28 actual. That is as close as I can get.

###############

Pulling apart fresh buds had an unexpected problem with the math. I pealed 0.4g of finger hash off my fingers.

I found the oil to plant ratio of 4 to 1 about right for FHO. If you used dry buds, you could theoretically get an infusion as high as 5 or 6%.

The only time I did any stirring was at first to mix in the oil, while it was on the warming burner and when I took it out of the oven to check temps and take samples.

I will take an air dried sample to the lab on the 15th and should have results the 17th or 18th. Then, we will have some real numbers to work with.

Feel free to challenge anything here.

The front row is the 50 gram sample. The larger piles are in the frig. To the left of the snips is the lab sample.
DSCN22148.JPG

Left to rite, 1 to 4 in zip bags at about 75f.
DSCN22175.JPG

These were heated until warm to the touch. Notice that the last sample, though a little darker is clearer than 2 and 3.
DSCN22216.JPG

Hey all

Ive finished, kinda, some testing on Flowers and Oils with the Cannalytics Supply TLC test Kit. Its not to good for Oils but does give some decent results with Flowers

Her is a link to My Journal and the Post

Cannalytics Supply Testing

I need to do more reading about the test. The acids in your test are what you have before applying heat or ageing (FHO). After decarb, those readings should be near zero.

Could I talk you into re-posting your wright up here?

Wonder if this is because most of the FHO batches are made using an immersion blender to grind the bud into the oil. It seems to leave small particles with the oil that don't get strained out with cheesecloth and the like. Only way I have found to get rid of it is to leave the oil alone to let the small particles settle. Then, I can use a glass pipette with a pump to remove the clean oil from the top.

I have never made FHO. Would a coffee filter in a large strainer work? These samples were not even strained. The beaker with the finished batch did take rather strong light to shine through it.

I never know.

Interesting stuff Canyon. I'll be back when I have time to fully absorb. I wish we had thought to do a $40 cannabinoid test on one of those. That would have been perfect to test the tcheck against.

Yes, I would like to setup any tests that we can think of that a tCheck would tell us something.

I would suggest a baseline be established by testing the olive oil by itself to see if there is a reading

Interesting stuff Canyon. I'll be back when I have time to fully absorb. I wish we had thought to do a $40 cannabinoid test on one of those. That would have been perfect to test the tcheck against.

The samples are about 4 ml each and the lab wants 2ml samples for oils. I think there is a $20 surcharge for oils. The way their price list is worded says "Edibles, cartridge and capsules surcharge".

For around $60 plus maybe the $20 I could have a standard cannabinoids test run on the last sample and keep what is left in case we commit to a terpene test latter. A terpene test would add an extra 50 to 90 dollars that I cannot justify this trip.

The standard test will include THC-A, THC, CBD-A, CBD, CBN and CBG.

The $40 express test is only for flowers for now, so that is not an option.

I never know

I would suggest a baseline be established by testing the olive oil by itself to see if there is a reading

That's a good idea. With a full test on the flowers and a lab cannabinoid test on the end sample, the tCheck should give us a good idea of how complete the infusion is with each sample.

"The standard test will include THC-A, THC, CBD-A, CBD, CBN and CBG."

Hey Canyon!
Can you get a standard test on one of those oils before I get there? If so, it would be great to know our new tcheck is accurate before we start. I will pay for it. If you can't get it back in time, don't bother. We will have plenty to test. Maybe Steep hill will give us a discount for the volume and the publicity from the views of this board. According to SweetSue, there were 191,000 views in her study hall. That has to be worth something. Apparently we are up to $80 for a standard test of oil. yikes. I already owe you for a full test on the starting mtl.

I wish I could say anytime but let's just see how we can get this going. Takes too much time and care to grow something of this nature. We need to extract it to its fullest.
Agree %

Back
Top Bottom