DobeWan's First Grow! LA Confidential & 24K Gold - LED - 3x3 - Coco

They are really looking good! Might I say, LA #2 is knocking it out of the park. I think you might be right that I need to add LA to my next grow. :winkyface:
Thanks! I have high hopes for LA #2! If any of these plants are going to give me what I need, that one is the best bet. Those 2 have been easy mode so far - none of my mistakes seem to throw them off. :wood:

Thanks again pennywise for the simple tip around watering - I guess I'd done most of my research around soil and switched to coco late in the game without fully grasping all of the implications. That series you put me onto is just what I needed.

I watered to runoff tonight at lights on as things were generally looking good. However, I made a big mistake. I guess I underestimated how much harder the stems are becoming, and how different the 24K and LA Confidential are, and while LSTing the top (3rd) node of my newly-topped 24K Gold #2, I caused some damage. I guess my LST lacked the L, as I felt a snap at the node. The branch appears to have disconnected on the left side but stayed attached on the right side where it meets the main stem. I propped the branch up to hold it in position and left it at that. Luckily I did not appear to damage the budding new top. I'm guessing this is my saving grace.

I'm guessing now the plant will divert resources to repairing the damage, slowing my progress elsewhere, but that ultimately the plant should soldier on in time? Is there anything I can or should do to reinforce the area (eg. bandage the area with tape or a plant tie)?

I'll post up some pics of the damage as soon as I can. Another lesson learned about the meaning of 'gentle' LST, and how different 2 strains can be (my LA Confidential is still so pliable in comparison).

I didn't have any plant tape and it's too late for any garden center to be open, so I put a tiny bit of medical tape around the base of the node to hold the branch steady. I figured medical tape was the most breathable tape I had. I cut a tiny piece and folded over part of the tape to hopefully make it easier to get off again, and to avoid getting tape stuck to the delicate new growth. Have a look.

j01v23-24K2-005-800x600.jpg
j01v23-24K2-004-800x600.jpg
j01v23-24K2-003-800x600.jpg

Id wrap it up, it wont hurt it any

The piece of tape in the photo was acting more like a wedge, holding it up. I added a second piece, directly over the injured part, so it's held together and completely covered at the injury now.

Thanks again for your help - really appreciate you checking in like this.

Cool side effect of breaking the branch - it smelled good!

That branch looks pathetic this morning. The leaf is gone completely droopy, worse than last night even. I don't think I got it wrapped up quickly enough - instead of a quick fix, I went on the internet and probably allowed an hour to pass between the original break and when it was patched up properly. I should have just patched it quickly with tape.

The rest of the plant looks excellent. User intervention is it's only issue!

Yeah it sucks! I'll give it until tonight at least and see if there's any positive progress, but I would have thought if it was going to heal it'd be showing positive signs by this morning. I'm worried about that top now - worried the newly forming top will die with the branch. It's still so immature.

Yeah, there is already a ton of new growth under the hood, fortunately. It had started in earnest even before I topped which gave me confidence to top.

I'll get a pic before taking any action - we have company and lights out is in 4 hours, so if I can't get to it soon I'll wait until lights on.

Ok the plant is young so in a few days youll never know anything happened.

In case you're still around PW - it is not coming back. The branch / leaf is clearly wilted. Lights go off in 50 minutes. Is there any reason I should wait until after lights off to clip it, or should I go ahead now before lights off? I figure there's no reason to wait but thought I'd check.

Also I figured I'd clip slightly up the stem of that branch and leave the tape on - that way if the new top can somehow survive, it has that chance.

Yeah, I can see that being the case, this girl has been loving life otherwise. All of her sister's growth with none of her ripple effect! I have no doubt she's otherwise healthy and will bounce back fast.

I'm thinking of cutting her sister's nutes back a little again tonight though - saw some ripples again today, nothing too crazy but enough to tell me she's still not dialed in.

Morning update thanks to the holiday! Pics of the ladies on 25V! Expecting some great growth this week as the 24Ks recover from their topping (and user damage!) and as the LA's big appetite is sated by my daily feedings. With mistakes corrected I'm hoping for things to explode!

24K #1 - The growth around the central stalk had great progress overnight. A little bit of ripple on the end of the leaf to the right, but so little and the plant was looking so good otherwise, that I stayed at 75% nutes rather than dropping to 62.5%.

j01v25-24K1-001-800x600.jpg

24K #2 - Not a huge amount of growth since I botched the LST and removed the branch, but I'm not surprised given how much stress I gave this lady. Hard to say whether the new top growing on the branch I had to remove is still growing - should know more in the next day.

j01v25-24K2-001-800x600.jpg

LA #1 - I decided to stop LST given how stout and bushy she remains - she really wasn't gaining any benefit from it, and I'm not convinced she'll need it if she maintains this kind of profile. Convinced at this point she's from the stouter of the 2 LA Confidential phenotypes.

j01v25-LA1-001-800x600.jpg

LA #2 - Responding wonderfully to my LST. Her stalk is almost at the edge of the pot. I'm going to start the LST in something of a circular shape now - my idea was get the stalk to the edge of the pot, then start circling around to whatever extent she grew.
j01v25-LA2-001-800x600.jpg

All 4!
j01v25-all-001-900x600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom