DobeWan's First Grow! LA Confidential & 24K Gold - LED - 3x3 - Coco

24K2 may surprise you. Plants are pretty resilient and she may recover nicely.

:cheer:

They're all looking great! Love your idea of a circular pattern for LST.

They're all looking great! Love your idea of a circular pattern for LST.

I got it from here: Low Stress Training (LST) Tutorial | Grow Weed Easy

That first example is what I figured I'd go for.

Given that the other LA Confidential is so stout, I'll probably just do the basic LST they describe further down in the article - tie branches away from the center to help bush it up further.

I expect both of these ladies to be bushy in the end!

Lights on is so exciting!

First pic here is the new top growth after I patched up the damage 2 days ago:

j01v23-24K2-003-800x600.jpg

Now compare to this pic, which I just took after watering:

j01v25-24K2-002-800x600.jpg

I killed the branch, but I didn't kill the top, apparently. I wonder if I'll end up with these 2 being tops, or something else entirely? The new growth on the side where I lost the branch is wild. I'll post up some more pics later after the ladies have had some time under the light!

Also Stinky Snid did a corkscrew training that circled his pot. Check it out, lots of good info on topping and training.

Here it is...

How do I Low Stress Train my plants?

I'm not doing LA1 exactly right, relative to his method - I made the initial bend below the cotyledons instead of above, giving me not quite enough clearance of the stalk from the top of the coco. I'll see about getting it up a little, and know better for next time. I'm right at the point of making the turn of the circle now, and I really like how thoroughly he has staked the branch for the turn - I should be able to get it staked up like that tomorrow night after a supply run tomorrow.

More invaluable tips, thanks again pennywise.

Snid was a huge help to me when i first came to 420. He's a solid member for sure.
Yeah, I followed his topping guide since it came up earlier in my journal and my own heavy hands aside it worked well for me.

The stalk is still pliable enough for me to do some minor adjustment without too much of an issue, so I was able to get a little more clearance while also perhaps buying some time before making the turn. It's an improvement anyway. I'll see if I can improve any further tomorrow when I get the supplies I need.

Yeah from a quick read it sounds like it'll do nothing but help make sure all is well through these steps. I'm sold.

I snipped two of the branches pointing straight down per Snid's guide as well. He recommended doing that to avoid twisting the stem. Sure enough, I had been training them up, and twisting the stem in the process. This forum - such a massive help.

I'm thinking you did a real FIM* on this one and now your plant is showing you how resilient it is.

:goodjob:

*FIM Technique = "Fuck, I Missed" - This technique involves cutting off the very smallest and newest growth on a top node of any branch.

*FIM Technique = "Fuck, I Missed" - This technique involves cutting off the very smallest and newest growth on a top node of any branch.

Lights on is so exciting!

First pic here is the new top growth after I patched up the damage 2 days ago:

j01v23-24K2-003-800x600.jpg

Now compare to this pic, which I just took after watering:

j01v25-24K2-002-800x600.jpg

I killed the branch, but I didn't kill the top, apparently. I wonder if I'll end up with these 2 being tops, or something else entirely? The new growth on the side where I lost the branch is wild. I'll post up some more pics later after the ladies have had some time under the light!

Based on the way it's growing that's not too far off. Looked like half a dozen "tops" under there when I looked closely last night. Can't wait to see how they look tonight - I'll aim to post up some pics since I didn't really last night.

I overestimated how much time I'd have tonight - I only just watered, and now I'm ready for bed with my next meeting looming in 8 hours. So no pics, but just a quick update as I won't have a chance to update again until tomorrow night.

- I caused some stress when I was doing all of my LST yesterday, in the form of some minor leaf damage particularly on LA #2, the girl I'm starting to bend around the outside of the pot. The new growth also looks funny in a couple of places - a couple of new leaves have an odd shape. These are leaves I had been tucking and propping and given that the rest of the plant looks good, and I made no changes to feeding, I suspect it's caused by stress - I had these leaves poked and tucked too much too early I think. I did a lot of LST work to try and correct my previous mistakes yesterday, so I think the stress I caused is the best explanation for now until I monitor further.

- The undergrowth on 24K1 and 2 is exceptional. Both looked very good today - no rippling, but a couple of minor leaf issues I'll come back to tomorrow, with pics. Again, I don't think it's anything major, but worth a look and further monitoring. Both of the new tops on the 24K1 are growing fast, the damaged side still slightly behind but clearly taking off. The 24K2 continues to grow basically symmetrically after topping which is really cool to look at.

- LA #1 surprised me today. The runt of the lot, it has grown healthy but short and stocky, and more slowly than the other 3. Well, perhaps she's undergoing some change. First clue was that she had a ton of new growth beneath the main fan leaves around the stalk. Second clue was that she was the big eater for the day - all 4 plants took a little under a litre of water before I got runoff, but LA #1 took the most of all.

- Edited to add one last thing - I added the silica solution to today's feeding!

I document these kinds of updates for my own benefit as much as anyone else's - I was keeping a journal in Excel before I finally decided to start one here. But if you see anything in my update that jumps out let me know. I'll post up some pics tomorrow and perhaps have a few targeted questions. Until then!

Back for a big update for 27V!

LA Confidential #1:

Not a lot to say about this girl. She's still stocky and bushy, and is now getting some growth underneath. Last to the party once again! Note that the weird placement of some leaves vs one another is my doing, a remnant from when I started LSTing.

j01v27-LA1-001-800x600.jpg
j01v27-LA1-002-800x600.jpg

LA Confidential #2:

She's growing well, so before reading the rest, know that I didn't break her -- just bent her, maybe a little more than we both intended! :laughtwo:

TLDR: I physically damaged the main stem and some leaves, but nothing it can't bounce back from.

I inadvertently had my first foray into something that might resemble super cropping. I broke the main stem slightly on the "long" side of the bend. It's just a small break along the extended edge of the bend. That was 2-3 days ago, and there has been a lot of leaf growth since, so I know it's not dead. It has that "aged" look of a healed wound - brownish I guess. What doesn't kill it in this context might make it stronger, right?

She's also got some minor stress on the leaves as I'd mentioned. I've added a couple of pics. There are a handful of other leaves with small indications like the one I've shown from my tough love LSTing. I also used the hard plastic plant identifiers to prop leaves into place (as you can see so conveniently placed in my main stem shot), and those leaves that were propped up grew funny as you can see from the deformed leaf below. I have just 3 such leaves, all of which resting on or against the plastic. Again, pretty obvious root cause for these issues.

I tried to get a good shot of the main stem and growth down there, but stupidly left that plastic in the way. I've been really busy with life this week and couldn't get in to get proper ties, so I'm still using zip ties but getting decent results all the same. I'm starting the curve before hitting the edge of the pot to make it gentler. I'm still not happy with the main stem's clearance from the coco but don't want to mess with it now with the key area for LST recently damaged.

All that said, LA Confidential #2 continues to be my biggest hope for awesome meds.

j01v27-LA2-001-800x600.jpg

j01v27-LA2-002-900x600.jpg
j01v27-LA2-003-800x600.jpg
j01v27-LA2-004-900x600.jpg

24K Gold (aka Kosher Tangie) #1:

I almost feel like 24K #1 and #2 are like Super(wo)man and Bizarro Super(wo)man. 24K #1 is looking fantastic in terms of her growth - strong and symmetrical, making her a joy to look at. 24K #2 is growing strongly, but she's like the evil twin!

j01v27-24K1-001-800x600.jpg
j01v27-24K1-002-900x600.jpg
j01v27-24K1-003-800x600.jpg

That said, all is not perfect today - check out the close up of her new growth. A couple of leaves looking less than perfect, and some blotchy yellow in the center of the new growth. Possible causes? The 24Ks underwent 3 changes between last night's feedings and tonight's:
1. In yesterday's feeding, I was off time by 4 hours from my usual schedule.
2. Last night I fed the silica / potassium solution per the directions on the bottle for the first time to all 4 plants.
3. I spot checked pH last night and found 24K's feed water had crept up, so the previous feeding (maybe 2) were at a higher than I'd have liked - up to 6.2.

Last night's water was at 5.75 (I had been watering all along at 5.75-5.8). I fed at the normal time tonight and removed the silica additive (went back to 75% H3ad formula) to be safe. We'll see where it goes, but I'd certainly like to know if anyone has suggestions.

24K Gold (aka Kosher Tangie) #2:

I'm not even going to begin to explain what's going on here. Growth all over the place, seemingly with no rhyme or reason. Definitely 2 tops coming in the middle, but little explosions of growth underneath. So this girl packs all the punch of her sister, but looks bizarre in comparison.

j01v27-24K2-001-800x600.jpg
j01v27-24K2-002-900x600.jpg

j01v27-24K2-003-800x600.jpg

Notice in the second pic you can again see the yellow blotching on the new growth - and even some slightly older growth underneath - that I described for 24K #1. I also have this large damaged patch but have no idea how I did it.

Altogether, lost of positives, although a couple of minor negatives to watch. Thanks for reading!

They are looking good!, I did some topping to my gals, haven't done much more than tucking so far, but now that I put them into their 5 gal smart pots, that is next...hopefully I don't snap one, but it looks like yours didn't mind it too much!

If I can figure out how to upload a couple picts here, I will try to show you how I planned my room. its a fully sealed 5' x 10' room with a tent for clone/veg and the rest for finish.

I plan on putting a full shelf in the tent about 30" from the top (tent is 4'x'4' x 80") and use the top for seed/start with CFL's and the bottom for the start of veg with a 600 watt LED. It is always trial and error, but that is also part of the fun!

I've been thinking about splitting a veg tent in the same way. I figure either before I flip these or after they've finished I might turn this 3x3 into a veg tent with a shelf, then get a new 4x4 for flower. I'm also considering getting a 900w LED for flower, then I can use this 600W for veg like you're doing.

Uploading pics isn't too tough - you can mostly drag and drop. And then when you want to post them, you get a list of photos you've uploaded with a thumbnail to select the right one. Give it a try, I bet you'll get the hang of it.

I had a little break from work and decided to check on the girls. I'm still seeing the yellowing in new growth but I see growth since lights on last night doesn't appear to really have it. And again it's just the 2 24Ks. Given I fed once or twice at higher pH and then back to the correct pH last night, it's hard to imagine these sudden issues aren't related to my pH fluctuation.

Another lesson learned - recheck pH from water that has been allowed to stand prior to use.

Back
Top Bottom