Doc Bud: All Organic OG Kush SCROG

when you say you let your soil cook, is there any heat needed for this to occur? It's cold outside here, so I was thinking of mixing up a soil mix and keeping it in the grow room for those 30 days. What are your thoughts on this?

Seed question Doc.

I pollinated my last grow (Afrodite, Cream Carmel, and AK47) with a male Querkle, and harvested them about a month ago.

The seeds from the Afrodite germinated in 3 days in soil and over nite in paper towels.

So far the ones from the Cream Carmel have been a big zero in the germination department. No luck in the soil, and a few have cracked open in paper towels and that's it. Do some seeds need more drying or curing time before they are viable seeds?

I have a cigar tube full of the Afrodites, but only a few dozen of the Carmel Cream and I don't want to waste more if they need more time. CC by the way is a superb weed and the one I really want to grow more of. Very nice high for body and mind relaxation.

Haven't tried the AK's yet.

Keep it in the grow room. 30 days minimum.

sounds good, I'll be mixing up a batch here in the next couple of weeks

Seed question Doc.

I pollinated my last grow (Afrodite, Cream Carmel, and AK47) with a male Querkle, and harvested them about a month ago.

The seeds from the Afrodite germinated in 3 days in soil and over nite in paper towels.

So far the ones from the Cream Carmel have been a big zero in the germination department. No luck in the soil, and a few have cracked open in paper towels and that's it. Do some seeds need more drying or curing time before they are viable seeds?

I have a cigar tube full of the Afrodites, but only a few dozen of the Carmel Cream and I don't want to waste more if they need more time. CC by the way is a superb weed and the one I really want to grow more of. Very nice high for body and mind relaxation.

Haven't tried the AK's yet.

I guess it's time for another germination indoctrination session.......

1.)Stop using paper towel method! This method is best suited for sprouting Lima beans in 4th grade.....so the kids can see what a radicle looks like. It's the worst method for propagation. Stop it. Now.

Roots hate light. They hate to be handled and disturbed and they like to be able to find their own way down. Gravitropism.

2.)Soak seeds for 12-24 hours in a mixture of kelp and water.....not too strong on the kelp....just follow the recipe.
Brand new seeds require less soaking than those that are a year or more old.

3.)Plant the seeds in the same medium you'll be growing them in being careful not to burn them with a soil that is too hot, etc.

I think you'll find pretty good success if you follow that protocol. I'm 39 for 40 on the last 40 seeds I've germed and that is what I do.

I stopped using the paper towel method a while ago when I was getting poor results from it. I don't even soak my seeds now, I just plant directly into dirt pointy side down about 1/2" deep and they have come up every time

Doc I only used the paper towel method to see if seeds would sprout after the others failed to sprout in the same soil I use for growing. And I did soak the new seeds over nite for about 8 hrs and also I sowed a few without soaking and no sprouts for either.

I soak my seeds overnite and put them in a layer of soil similar to the way Doc did it in his mini hempy's but my main soil is full strength with OC+. sometimes I cover with clear plastic and remove as soon as the first seed pokes up out of the soil. I powdered a fifty pound bag of 21% protein alfalfa range cubes and would like to try some in my tea mix. The cubes had some mollasses in them too. On the net I can find a lot of different amounts to put in a 5 gallon bucket ranging from a half cup to a full cup. Alfalfa is also supposed to be rich in nitrogen. I want to keep the Jobes and the worm castings, delete the mollasses and add the alfalfa, would a tablespoon per gallon be too much?

I didn't mean to take up any of Doc's thread on the germinating subject again.

It was more a question on the viability of fresh seeds and weather or not some seeds need to dry or age for a bit before planting since none of the Cream Carmels seem to be sprouting.

I will test the AK47 x Q seeds this weekend to see how they fare. If they sprout quick, it may just be the CC's that aren't viable for some reason.

Doc, my pots are going to be 5 gallon smart pots. How many bags of vermicrop should i get? 4. 8 plants under 2 600W HPS, 3x6 footprint. 1200W/18sq/ft = 66.66W/sq/ft.

Strain is called IDK12 (I Dont Know 2012). I literally forgot, person who gave it to me forgot too. Its a 9 week hybrid with alot of tricombs. Its either Diesel or Trainwreck I hope. My J-1 is a slow mover. Came from a dispensary. Hopefully it will be a female and be the real deal. I think the water is slowing it down. Its not filtered, just areated for a day. Its time to switch to a RO device. Tap is bogus.

Peace

I soak my seeds overnite and put them in a layer of soil similar to the way Doc did it in his mini hempy's but my main soil is full strength with OC+. sometimes I cover with clear plastic and remove as soon as the first seed pokes up out of the soil. I powdered a fifty pound bag of 21% protein alfalfa range cubes and would like to try some in my tea mix. The cubes had some mollasses in them too. On the net I can find a lot of different amounts to put in a 5 gallon bucket ranging from a half cup to a full cup. Alfalfa is also supposed to be rich in nitrogen. I want to keep the Jobes and the worm castings, delete the mollasses and add the alfalfa, would a tablespoon per gallon be too much?

Alfalfa tea is awesome stuff. I often add alfalfa to my teas....I think the NPK is like 3-2-1 or so. But it is great for beneficials and has this growth hormone called Triancatrol (spelling probably off) which really helps the overall growth rate of the plant.

I would use a tea like that about 2 parts water 1 part tea.

The benefits of alfalfa are best if it soaks and brews before using it. The tea is fantastic and the alfalfa left at the bottom of the bucket can be spread on the top of the pots. Mixing alfalfa and water isn't quite the same thing as brewing it up.

Something like this:

in 5 gallon bucket

2 cups organic EWC
1 cup organic alfalfa
2 tbsp Molasses
4 tbsp Maxicrop Powdered kelp
3 oz humic acid
large pinch of Azomite or other source of minerals

Get some airstones going, stir it all up as often as you can....at least twice daily....and let it brew for 48 hours.

At that point, I get out 3 more buckets and pour the "tea" gently in equal parts in all 3 buckets. I try not to disturb the sludge on the bottom, because I'm going to top dress that sludge in select pots that need a boost.

Fill those 3 buckets to the top with water, stir well, and water the plants! I'll do this by hand for up to 20 plants at a time (12 bucket's worth) because I always learn something about my plants, spot some problem or notice some awesome development when I spend time hands-on in the garden.

When not feeding, it's all by pump and wand.

Doc, my pots are going to be 5 gallon smart pots. How many bags of vermicrop should i get? 4. 8 plants under 2 600W HPS, 3x6 footprint. 1200W/18sq/ft = 66.66W/sq/ft.

Strain is called IDK12 (I Dont Know 2012). I literally forgot, person who gave it to me forgot too. Its a 9 week hybrid with alot of tricombs. Its either Diesel or Trainwreck I hope. My J-1 is a slow mover. Came from a dispensary. Hopefully it will be a female and be the real deal. I think the water is slowing it down. Its not filtered, just areated for a day. Its time to switch to a RO device. Tap is bogus.

Peace

2 bags worth of Super soil plus 2 bags of untreated vermicrop will have you covered. Probably have a bit left over.

I like your lighting. I run 2000W/18sq/ft=111.11W/sq/ft. Having the extra light really makes a difference, especially if you grow tall plants, like these crazy Sativa's I've been growing. You'll get very nice, well formed buds with that lighting, just don't let 'em get too tall.

OK....I'm interested! Do you have a journal showing your method?

journals are not my cup of tea

after harvest, just leave a few leaves/buds on the plant (similiar to trimming a mom for cuttings) and put her under indirect light until you see new growth. she'll spring too life in 10-14 days. no harm done. imho the more mature (older) these plants get the harder they are to stress.
:peace:

yeah I'm actually flowering a plant I revegged. I left one branch with one bud on my plant and just put it back in the veg room under 20/4 lighting. It took about 2 weeks but I started seeing new growth from the top of the bud. After another couple of weeks, it had exploded and was throwing shoots everywhere. I took around 20 clones from it and then started flowering it a couple of weeks ago. It's starting to bud up again. I didn't transplant it or anything.

It's a great thing being able to reveg. I hadn't taken any clones of this pheno and it was the last one I had. I decided I wanted to keep it in the garden so I gave it a try. Now I have a strong clone army and took the best clone for a new mother plant.

yeah I'm actually flowering a plant I revegged. I left one branch with one bud on my plant and just put it back in the veg room under 20/4 lighting. It took about 2 weeks but I started seeing new growth from the top of the bud. After another couple of weeks, it had exploded and was throwing shoots everywhere. I took around 20 clones from it and then started flowering it a couple of weeks ago. It's starting to bud up again. I didn't transplant it or anything.

It's a great thing being able to reveg. I hadn't taken any clones of this pheno and it was the last one I had. I decided I wanted to keep it in the garden so I gave it a try. Now I have a strong clone army and took the best clone for a new mother plant.

No pics, eh?

So, you just put the harvested plant under weak light on a 20/4 schedule and you get a mother plant in a month or so?

Are the leaves all 1 and 3 bladed, or do you get normal leaves?

My experience with revegging has shown it takes more than 2 weeks. I have a plant picked as a mother plant as soon as she sexed and she is finally past the leafs going down to 1 finger and returning to three fingered leaves, she has been on 24 hrs. light for 5 weeks! I have never tried it with a plant that was at the end of it's flower cycle but would expect the same. Doc, you sure haul a lot of water! I think I will delete the Jobes and add the alfalfa. I have heard that alfalfa can interere with flowering, possibly lengthening flower time.

My experience with revegging has shown it takes more than 2 weeks. I have a plant picked as a mother plant as soon as she sexed and she is finally past the leafs going down to 1 finger and returning to three fingered leaves, she has been on 24 hrs. light for 5 weeks! I have never tried it with a plant that was at the end of it's flower cycle but would expect the same. Doc, you sure haul a lot of water! I think I will delete the Jobes and add the alfalfa. I have heard that alfalfa can interere with flowering, possibly lengthening flower time.

Well, I have the same experience with revegging as you.....sort of. I've never tried to re-veg on purpose, but I did put some plants that were on 12/12 outside when the light was about 14/10....like in late June. The light and dark cycles were reversed...

After about a week, all the new growth was totally screwed up, one bladed leaves for the rest of the plant's life.....it never did recover!

RE: Alfalfa and flower time

I think that if you used it all the time you might have a problem, but I only use it once or twice during a bloom cycle and in small amounts, mainly for beneficials in the tea.

My flower times tend to be a week or two longer than advertised flowering times, but occasionally I get decent buds. Here are some that got alfalfa.

IMG_20755.JPG

IMG_20597.JPG

IMG_20655.JPG

Not bad.....tasted OK. A few trichomes could be seen if you look close enough.

No pics, eh?

So, you just put the harvested plant under weak light on a 20/4 schedule and you get a mother plant in a month or so?

Are the leaves all 1 and 3 bladed, or do you get normal leaves?

nah i didn't take any pics of it, when it started growing it was throwing out 1 and 3 bladed leaves, but after a couple of weeks of actual growth, the 5 and 7 bladed leaves started appearing.. I flowered it right after that and it stretched like normal and is now budding like it usually does. I wouldn't say the light was weak either, it was my normal amount of veg light, 600w MH dimmed down to 50-75% depending on temps.

EDIT: nice buds man, I can't get over how perfect they always look

Back
Top Bottom