Dutchman’s 1st Grow Ever: 2018

So here’s the 600w bulb I pulled out!

Definitely fried er lol! New one is in rocking and kickin some azz!
F439AB3E-763F-4789-AA50-0EDDF532DFCF.jpeg

Aw, bummer. I've only ever lost two HID bulbs and they were both metal halides. One was a $19 department store 400-watt one that I ran @ 250 watts; it failed to light after about the third month of 18-hour duty (figured it was junk when I bought it), and the other one got... ah... oopsed. Other than that, I've just run the things without a thought until it was time to get a zero-hours replacement.

Is that one of those generic "value" brands? I had never heard of the Light ENERG brand before, but of course that doesn't mean anything, lol. I did do some web-searching, but couldn't find much at all... An eBay page titled "Unbranded Dimmable Ballasts" or something like that, that contained one by some other company I'd never heard of called Ace (but that's a brand :hmmmm:) ballast; the description blurb stated that it was compatible with Light ENERG cords (so maybe it's a bigger brand than I thought - or maybe it's like VivoSun / iPower / Apollo Horticulture / etc., I have no clue). Also a couple garden shops. One of them, coincidentally(?) is called Dutchman Hydroponics in Barrie, Ontario. Is that where you work, lol? If so, tell them you chose their store for inspiration when coming up with a forum name and maybe they'll give you a HPS bulb (might ask for a different brand ;) ). I thought it'd be fun to work in an indoor gardening store... once. But then I started thinking my days would have been filled with a bunch of hapless newbies who were dumber than a rotted post and proud of it, with a few people who bought most of their equipment via the Internet and were only stopping in to either get something that they needed RIGHT NOW or some little thing that wasn't worth the cost of shipping and that, either way, they'd probably demand some kind of discount for "giving me the business." In other words, I was afraid it'd be like working at ChinaMart - only worse, because I'd be expected to f*cking talk to people. Having been told way, way back in the past that I had "rage issues" (translation - I don't put up with willfully-stupid @ssholes well, and things get fun when the interaction is in person :rofl:), I decided that it was not for me. Which is a good thing, because the commute would mean I was getting an eight-hour pay for twelve hours of effort. At least with painting, the customers tend to ask if they really need to be there ("No, that's just fine.") because they think all paint smells like the old-school oil-based stuff. And if they don't, we keep a spray can of something nasty in the work bucket, so they're only one "you don't mind having a conversation about dumb sh!t while you're trying to work, do you?" event away from deciding to go to the other end of their house and shut a door. Retail sales jobs... suck. (IMHO.)

Anyway, hope your new bulb works better. What kind of ballast are you running (you've probably mentioned it, but those brain cells are off exploring the universe, apparently), an old-school core & coil type, or an electronic one? If the latter, what's the brand? Do you like it? I'm trying to talk a family member into growing their own so they'll quit pestering me (they have a modern electrical system in their house), and have suggested some kind 600-watt HID setup.

Hey TS...I bought a package from iPower, 600W including hood, MH/HPS bulbs and a digital ballast. The bulbs have lasted fine but the ballast started humming back in September. I purchased a new ballast at that time, from Vivosun, and it's been working flawlessly. I'm not sure if the ballast I had was low end but keep that in mind. I paid 207.00 CDN (now 381.00) at the time for the package and the ballast down the road cost me 99.00 CDN (now 109.99)

Aw, bummer. I've only ever lost two HID bulbs and they were both metal halides. One was a $19 department store 400-watt one that I ran @ 250 watts; it failed to light after about the third month of 18-hour duty (figured it was junk when I bought it), and the other one got... ah... oopsed. Other than that, I've just run the things without a thought until it was time to get a zero-hours replacement.

Is that one of those generic "value" brands? I had never heard of the Light ENERG brand before, but of course that doesn't mean anything, lol. I did do some web-searching, but couldn't find much at all... An eBay page titled "Unbranded Dimmable Ballasts" or something like that, that contained one by some other company I'd never heard of called Ace (but that's a brand:hmmmm:) ballast; the description blurb stated that it was compatible with Light ENERG cords (so maybe it's a bigger brand than I thought - or maybe it's like VivoSun / iPower / Apollo Horticulture / etc., I have no clue). Also a couple garden shops. One of them, coincidentally(?) is called Dutchman Hydroponics in Barrie, Ontario. Is that where you work, lol? If so, tell them you chose their store for inspiration when coming up with a forum name and maybe they'll give you a HPS bulb (might ask for a different brand ;) ). I thought it'd be fun to work in an indoor gardening store... once. But then I started thinking my days would have been filled with a bunch of hapless newbies who were dumber than a rotted post and proud of it, with a few people who bought most of their equipment via the Internet and were only stopping in to either get something that they needed RIGHT NOW or some little thing that wasn't worth the cost of shipping and that, either way, they'd probably demand some kind of discount for "giving me the business." In other words, I was afraid it'd be like working at ChinaMart - only worse, because I'd be expected to f*cking talk to people. Having been told way, way back in the past that I had "rage issues" (translation - I don't put up with willfully-stupid @ssholes well, and things get fun when the interaction is in person :rofl:), I decided that it was not for me. Which is a good thing, because the commute would mean I was getting an eight-hour pay for twelve hours of effort. At least with painting, the customers tend to ask if they really need to be there ("No, that's just fine.") because they think all paint smells like the old-school oil-based stuff. And if they don't, we keep a spray can of something nasty in the work bucket, so they're only one "you don't mind having a conversation about dumb sh!t while you're trying to work, do you?" event away from deciding to go to the other end of their house and shut a door. Retail sales jobs... suck. (IMHO.)

Anyway, hope your new bulb works better. What kind of ballast are you running (you've probably mentioned it, but those brain cells are off exploring the universe, apparently), an old-school core & coil type, or an electronic one? If the latter, what's the brand? Do you like it? I'm trying to talk a family member into growing their own so they'll quit pestering me (they have a modern electrical system in their house), and have suggested some kind 600-watt HID setup.

The bulb was the instock one they carry here at my local hydro shop. I run a digital dimmable ballast. That’s cool there’s a Dutchman’s Hydroponics’s shop haha! I don’t work there but would be nice to check it out!

UPDATE

Well well well! Its been a while since I updated this journal and with EM1.1 getting bigger and really starting to flower I figured it would be a great time for an update! I got a bunch of pictures to add in at the end here but I just wanted to talk about her quick first. She has been stretching and growing beautifully since flip and has really gotten big. Looking at her I noticed some of her branches were passing others so I decided to tie down some of her tallest mains and really open her up. I will let her recover for the next week and then do a good defoliation around Day 21. The pictures below show her before and after being spread out and tied down. You can see how thick and bushy she is being a "monster crop". Pretty wicked growth I must say and shes turning out to be a looker just like her momma! Cant wait for these buds to start swelling up and packing on the trichome and resins. Shes healthy as can be and I am looking forward to getting her finished out and comparing her to her mom! Anyways heres some photos!!

BONUS PHOTO!! Critical+2.0 #2

Looking great Dutch! Cheers!
Thanks Wally! Hope your well brother

Starting to look like the old days in there :thumb:.

Love the color balance on those!

Colas more colas!! I can’t wait for the tent to fill up again! This is one of my favourite times! The growth ia quick and you can see the changes each day! She’s super bushy and thick so she will need a defoliation but nothing to crazy!

Teddy better exchange that T-shirt for the next size up bro... you're gonna need it soon after getting that MB machine.
Like the sounds of that! I’ve tried to keep her fat and wide!
That's what Sauga was saying about you!

The stretch is real...Early Miss and your stomach ;).
:laugh::rofl::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl:
Careful Dutch, you have a wedding suit to fit into :)
Shed... Did he send you the tickets yet????
Or do we have to go by Air Birdie???

Back
Top Bottom