Early Miss Auto: First Grow

I don’t know about gia green nutes, but coco can be tricky. I understand that it’s impossible to overwater, but you pretty much have to water every day.

My brother and I grow in 100% perlite, in a passive, drain-to-waste style, but with a reservoir. It’s called

Hempy

I switched from soil to coco after my first grow because I was overwatering so much leading to fungus gnats and nutrient problems. From what I heard the coco is pest resistant and impossible to overwater which seem great for the beginner like me.Once I started following the feed schedule from a decent nute line and played with the strength of the solution a little bit I have started to see much better results.

@FelipeBlu. Is it possible to hand water with 100 % perlite. This is the first I’ve heard of it and I’m thinking up some new ideas for the next grow

Is it possible to hand water with 100 % perlite.

Absolutely! I just pour it in until a strong stream starts coming out of the hole. This flushes out/replaces any remaining solution in the reservoir. The only real downside is having to provide a pan or something to catch the runoff.

During early veg, when the plant isn’t drinking as much, I go ahead and water (or rather fertigate) every 2 days - just to get fresh air pulled into the root zone. After the plant gets bigger, the reservoir will allow me to go 2 days between waterings.
:passitleft:

Well my time blew on me last night so I guess there 24/0 autos now

They will take off with the extra light!
:thumb:

This is the major advantage of Autos - that you can give them 24 hours of light during flowering. You can have several plants at different stages of growth going under the same light schedule.
:ganjamon:

And you can even grow strawberries with hempy!

C85C14DB-C2EB-46B5-B0B7-63D59EFEF6FD.jpeg

Ah good - you still are interested and are asking questions. I figured I probably got carried away with hempy on your thread.. :rolleyes:

I’m treating hempy as a form of hydro since the perlite doesn’t have the microbial life that soil has in order to make the nutrients available for the roots to take up.

So I adjust the pH of my fertigation to around 5.6 to 5.8 after adding my nutes, and that seems to work well. In my case, it only takes 1.5ml/gal of vinegar.

:yummy:

Did you try and dry out your soil since Thursday?
And yeah sorry I was also worried about hijacking your thread. I just had a few more questions I hope you don’t mind.

would you dilute the nutes when hand watering the perlite? what would you suggest as the smallest bucket for say a small sog from clones straight to 12/12? In your opinion would it dry out faster than coco? I only ask because al lot of times I can only get to the garden once a day and I’ve had coco come very close to drying out luckily the plant bounced back.
I’ll definitely check out your bros grow.

This grower @Tead does SOG in hempy, and uses Osmocote Plus as nutes:

Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

He has grown in PVC pipe, and others have used 2L soda bottles. Smaller pots/reservoirs will require more frequent watering.
:passitleft:

No problem I'm a future guy always looking for the next. And it sounds really cool. For the soil yes I've been letting it dry for a while now it's still pretty wet under coat so I'll be watering tomorrow or monday :)
Have you given any thought on weighing on a scale as FelipeBlu suggested earlier. I’d be interested to see how that works out. After doing that for a while you would probably get the feel for it and be able to just to tip the pot a little without weighing it and judge like the pros.

it's still pretty wet under coat so I'll be watering tomorrow or monday

Try to resist watering if you know it’s still ‘wet’ anywhere in the pot. The idea is to make the plant grow out her roots searching for every little bit of moisture.
If you keep most of the roots sitting in plenty of water, there’s no incentive to increase the root mass.

Bigger roots = Bigger fruits (buds)!
:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom