Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

What do you mean by 5 parts of vinegar, for example, if I have 100 grams of egg shells. I should add 500 grams of vinegar? Can I use any vinegar?

Also, about the one spoon per gallon, is that for any size plant? Will too much hurt?
About heating the shells. You say that the white ones will be a phosphorus source, are you saying I should put a few aside and not cook them?
Yes, you have it correct but it is not critical. Any vinegar will work but the recommended apple cider vinegar brings a whole lot of new nutrients into the mix. The dosage of 1 tablespoon per gallon is just a starting suggestion... you may need more or less. Non cooked shells should not be used for it will take forever for them to ferment... you will find that even after thorough cooking, many of the insides are still white

Yes, you have it correct but it is not critical. Any vinegar will work but the recommended apple cider vinegar brings a whole lot of new nutrients into the mix. The dosage of 1 tablespoon per gallon is just a starting suggestion... you may need more or less. Non cooked shells should not be used for it will take forever for them to ferment... you will find that even after thorough cooking, many of the insides are still white
Got you thank you. About the amount, with 10 eggs, how much final product will. I end up with roughly

This is what I ended up with. 50g of eggshells and 250g of vinegar.

Can I start using it in a week? Of is it necessary to wait for 20 days?

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_233210.jpg
    IMG_20200914_233210.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 123
I just filtered off what I made, came out to 1.25 cups. Question for you Emilya, can I add 1.25 cups of non sulfured molasses to make a 2.5 cup batch? Or just wait until I'm ready to use it to add it?
I add it right there to stop the fermentation and stabilize the product and then all I need to do is shake it up to apply.

This is what I ended up with. 50g of eggshells and 250g of vinegar.

Can I start using it in a week? Of is it necessary to wait for 20 days?
It is necessary to wait 20 days for the fermentation to break the components into their base parts. Before that, you have mostly what is water soluble and certainly not immediately available to the plants.

I was wondering, is this a decent phosphorus source? Or mostly calmag? @Emilya
It depends on how well you fry the eggshells. If there is enough black in there, there will be lots of phosphorus, once the fermentation process turns the mess into calcium phosphate. Done correctly it is a wonderful source of phosphate.

It depends on how well you fry the eggshells. If there is enough black in there, there will be lots of phosphorus, once the fermentation process turns the mess into calcium phosphate. Done correctly it is a wonderful source of phosphate.
Wait in your post you say" the white ones will be your phosphorus source and the burned ones will be the calcium."

So what I did is I actually cooked slightly half of them, and the other i waited to turn black, so I'd have more phosphorus?

You know, I really don't know which is which... but it is probably as I state in the original article, since it was all fresh in my mind when I wrote that. I just burn them good, and I know there is a lot of phosphorus in the end product. I have never tried to maximize the P and you are welcome to try, but you are on your own with those experiments.

hello, i was wondering, won't all of that vinegar hurt my plant? vinegar is used to kill weeds...

also, i'm guessing the ph after using this will be very low and will need to bring it back up?

hello, i was wondering, won't all of that vinegar hurt my plant? vinegar is used to kill weeds...

also, i'm guessing the ph after using this will be very low and will need to bring it back up?
Hi @greenesthash and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Once the fermentation has occurred, the vinegar and the eggshells are converted into calcium phosphate. It will no longer kill your plants. And yes, the pH of vinegar starting out is quite low, and even after the fermentation the remaining compound remains so, but there is no adjusting necessary. At the rate you would apply this, typically 1 tablespoon per gallon, it is not going to affect the pH of the final mix very much at all. You are overthinking this.

Hi @greenesthash and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Once the fermentation has occurred, the vinegar and the eggshells are converted into calcium phosphate. It will no longer kill your plants. And yes, the pH of vinegar starting out is quite low, and even after the fermentation the remaining compound remains so, but there is no adjusting necessary. At the rate you would apply this, typically 1 tablespoon per gallon, it is not going to affect the pH of the final mix very much at all. You are overthinking this.
i see, about the tablespoon, google says that a tablespoon is 15ml, well the ones in my house sure aren't, how many ML'S would you say i should use per gal?

i see, about the tablespoon, google says that a tablespoon is 15ml, well the ones in my house sure aren't, how many ML'S would you say i should use per gal?

nothing in organic gardening is exact. Anywhere from 10-20 ml would be a good starting point to see if you can see an effect in your plants. I wouldn't go any higher than 30 ml, however... that much should never be necessary.

yes, but there is eventually a point where most everything is broken down not too long after that. It also depends on how well you have crushed everything up before you pour in the vinegar.
Wait by everything you mean the good stuff? Also. Could you help. Me out? I'm doing it with orange eggs, it's really hard to tell when they're ready. I've been cooking them for 30 mins and they don't get dark.

Attachments

• 16007801138137921385491697312999.jpg
    16007801138137921385491697312999.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 16007801257272610974506297155576.jpg
    16007801257272610974506297155576.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom