Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

Do you use "Mulder's" elements nutrient diagram"? The plus in botanicares Calmag Plus they add iron. Yes it does have connections to calcium. Each element aids in uptake of each nutrient. In cannabis test most are surprisingly lacking calcium especially with the amounts we use, to boost calcium uptake aminos!!! But not just any aminos. Example I used to use botanicare Vitamino, but doesn't have any 0 of the enzymes and or the ingredients needed to boost uptake. Look for any an amino with Left handed amino acids. Calcium uptake can boost plants natural resistance to fungi such as powdery mildew and bud rot.
I don't totally have Mulders diagram figured out but if anyone can Emilya can.

Here's the chart
And Emilya I'm sure you'll like this, Harley Smith is quite boring in energy but alot of good info. Search YouTube for NPK industries Bio stimulants

Hi @XiwsX561! Yes, I regularly refer to Mulder's chart for my diagnostics and analysis of our plants. I don't do a lot of Youtube because I am a deaf person and I don't get a lot out of videos that don't take my needs into account. I get a lot more out of a good scientific paper and if Mr. Smith had one of those I would certainly read it.

Amino acids and various vitamins are important for our plants and that is why I recommend using the natural product, apple cider vinegar when making this version of calmag. It brings in a lot of good stuff that would be hard to source otherwise.

Lastly, study Mulder's chart a bit more. Note that there are antagonisms and stimulations shown on the chart, and Iron is one of those that antagonizes the uptake ability of Calcium as well as 5 other needed elements. One has to be very careful adding more iron to the soil. Magnesium is the same way, because Ca and Mg antagonize each other and this is why we have found it to be a good idea when adding either as a supplement, to give some of the other too. My recipe also adds Phosphorus to the mix, also antagonized by the Calcium, and again the addition of a little extra P in the supplement, helps to balance things out very nicely.

I don't do a lot of Youtube because I am a deaf person and I don't get a lot out of videos that don't take my needs into account.
:( My oldest daughter studied ASL for a semester. She loved it and she was really good at it. She was teaching all of us a little bit too. It is something we collectively have considered to learn more of.

I watch a couple YouTube channels with no speaking (bonsai). It's all captioned by the creator which at first was annoying, but I found myself retaining more of what they were teaching. I have thought about doing a channel similar to those for general gardening, house plants, etc. Makes me sad that you feel excluded.

We also recently took in a foster dog that is a blind deaf dwarf. Talk about a completely different way of caring for and training a dog! Haaa haaa. FYI... he is now a long term foster in our pack. We all fell in love with him! :circle-of-love:

Oh... aaaaand to keep this thread on track, I used this method to make my own calcium solution and it's awesome. I have access to lots of eggs (wife bakes...A LOT) so I started making some to give to local gardeners. Thank you for all the wisdom you share here!

One of the best:
7 row barley... germinate a handful of this amazing stuff and as the new roots are about an inch long, grind the whole mess up into a supplement. The growth hormone released is incredible.

Also, look to your superaccumulators. I wrote a bit piece on using various parts of the dandelion plant to produce different stimulants for our plants. Processing the flowers ,leaves and roots separately into different stimulants can be very effective.

Hi @XiwsX561! Yes, I regularly refer to Mulder's chart for my diagnostics and analysis of our plants. I don't do a lot of Youtube because I am a deaf person and I don't get a lot out of videos that don't take my needs into account. I get a lot more out of a good scientific paper and if Mr. Smith had one of those I would certainly read it.

Amino acids and various vitamins are important for our plants and that is why I recommend using the natural product, apple cider vinegar when making this version of calmag. It brings in a lot of good stuff that would be hard to source otherwise.

Lastly, study Mulder's chart a bit more. Note that there are antagonisms and stimulations shown on the chart, and Iron is one of those that antagonizes the uptake ability of Calcium as well as 5 other needed elements. One has to be very careful adding more iron to the soil. Magnesium is the same way, because Ca and Mg antagonize each other and this is why we have found it to be a good idea when adding either as a supplement, to give some of the other too. My recipe also adds Phosphorus to the mix, also antagonized by the Calcium, and again the addition of a little extra P in the supplement, helps to balance things out very nicely.
You said organic apple cider ginger. Do you use the one with "mother" I don't even know wtf that is.

Yea Mr. Smith is the owner or scientist behind NPK industries. Makers of RAW. Also make europonics if I spelt correctly. So u know this quite in depth then. He has online classes or or series on YouTube and trust me I'd rather read it as well he's boring as hell. It was a lecture on bio stimulants back in 2001 I guess the Dutch said ok no more fungicides. Ie powdery mildew, bud rot and a few more. Farmers then were looking 40%+ of their crop now took a scientist 10 years to figure it out that calcium in so many words made for a better plant Farmers loss went from -40% to actually more then they were previously.. so he went back to the Netherlands and asked how guy said 10 years I'm not telling u. So took him 5 more years to figure it out left handed enzymes boost calcium uptake by almost 100%. Connecting dots helps create pectin so bigger stronger plants , sweeter all that good stuff. Looked at my Vitamino that's almost 50 bux for a quart 0 enzymes looked at H&G amino and boom L-Glycine a left hand enzymes I would like to understand all this more. Because in another video different people lab that does leaf graft testing and soil test for Farmers. They were like on Skype, the canna farmer and the lab dude with his son or his tech and he asked what element do u find when testing grafts do u find that's lacking the most from home grower to professional companies and it was calcium.

I don't think egg shells would work with hi frequency watering. What else could I use I know you do organic but perhaps something by microbe life? Something I can buy pre-made. I do more hydro then soil.

Someone also told me ur the person so speak to about recharge. It says soil on package but I've heard of people using it in all applications. When and how should I or should I not use it soil or hydro.

And I'm also getting into foliar sprays and teas trying to boost resin production. I thought it was me or my nutes (quite possibly nutes after I learned a bit about calcium uptake and aminos n bio stimulants) since I grow with LED I don't have the uvA&B was thinking that maybe it.. but new nutrient line and new lamps oh and new/different genetics. Figured finish the run with these new additions before going out and buying supplemental lighting with uvA&B.

(Breeder gave me a sample I could tell LED, went to local dispensary could tell LED. My friend in California has 3 successful commercial ops but still uses cmh.. and it's night and day. Take it and stick to ur windows and drive. But I'm already pot committed with the amount I spent on the ones I have now and it's no longer a tent so not as cheap as buying one lamp) thx

Speaking of DYI CalMag...here's another batch I'm working on right now...literally right this very second that I am typing. I've had these eggs piling up for quite a while and my procrastination is a major problem. This thread has been on my mind today so I felt i had to get it done! Sorry for the dramatic entrance...

I still have quite a bit of the batch I made last year! As in, the amount in there will last me until likely next year! This year, this batch is going to go to local gardeners. Encourage them to utilize as many natural resources as possible. Although it takes time and effort, I feel a certain amount of pride knowing that my plants are getting something I made specifically for them. It is easy to go to the store and get some bottled nutes with everything laid out for you. It is an entirely different perspective and approach to utilize natural resources and sacrifice your time into creating nutes for your plants.

Either way we choose to go, having happy plants is what it is all about. Reading the wisdom regarding Mulder's chart is much appreciated. I have not gone down that path of understanding the chart. I am intrigued and looking forward to diving into it.

20210404_205426.jpg

7 row barley... germinate a handful of this amazing stuff and as the new roots are about an inch long, grind the whole mess up into a supplement. The growth hormone released is incredible.
I'm not finding it. 2 row & 6 row is what is coming up in my searches.

Hi, I'm a little curious about where the phosphorous comes from? When I was researching eggshell tea a while back I read that eggshells are calcium carbonate, and are only 0.3% phosphorous. Is it from the vinegar?
If it comes from the vinegar, can I use white vinegar on uncooked eggshells? I don't really need phosphorous or potassium, just the calcium and magnesium.

Hi, I'm a little curious about where the phosphorous comes from? When I was researching eggshell tea a while back I read that eggshells are calcium carbonate, and are only 0.3% phosphorous. Is it from the vinegar?
If it comes from the vinegar, can I use white vinegar on uncooked eggshells? I don't really need phosphorous or potassium, just the calcium and magnesium.
The phosphorus is released from the eggshells upon extreme heat. I was told that it is the black part when you burn them and I don't know any way to separate it from the process. Rest assured that there is not very much at all in there... like you say, less than 1%, and I don't think it is going to hurt anything. You can use plain white vinegar, but then you give up the organic goodness of the apple cider vinegar along with all the vitamins and amino acids that come with it. You may not think you need all these extras, but there are reasons that people tell me that this is the best calmag they have ever used. Sometimes you don't know you need something, until you have tried it. :hmmmm:

This is an awesome product to use during the changeover period from growing to flowering/fruiting on all of your plants. For most of us, by using molasses we are able to get the magnesium that our plants need, but for our calcium needs, most of us have to fall back on a commercial product, and we end up buying one of the many versions of calmag supplement that are available. Because of a lock on the market by being the only source of an important nutrient, prices for this supplement, especially organic versions, are way overpriced.

I am going to show you how to make a superior calcium supplement that is cheap, easy to make and definitely cheaper than the commercial versions. By using organic materials, not only can calcium and magnesium be easily supplied, but also phosphorus, potassium and natural enzymes, making our homemade supplement just as "plus" as calmag+.

Any bones, sea shells, oysters, clam shells or egg shells can be used. Being severely landlocked in the midwest, I chose to use eggshells to create my calcium phosphate.

First collect about a dozen eggs and wash each egg out after use to get rid of the filaments and protein inside. I washed mine out and sat them on the windowsill for a couple of days to dry out, and then using my hands crumbled them up into a bowl.
DSCF56052.JPG

The next step is to pan fry the egg shells to the point that most of them are brown or even black, and there are just a few white ones left. Heat changes the shells, and the white ones will be your phosphorus source and the burned ones will be the calcium.

Here they are just starting to turn
DSCF56062.JPG

And here we have the eggshells burned just right.
DSCF5607.JPG

Next we put the cooked shells into a coffee grinder or in some other way grind them up into a powder.
DSCF56082.JPG

Next, add 5 parts vinegar to the pile of powdered eggshells. I used an organic organic apple cider vinegar in order to capture its natural goodness too. This step will fizz up quite dramatically, depending on how well you ground up the egg shells, and I suggest doing this in your kitchen sink. The vinegar is going to eat the egg shells, and it will fizz for a while.
DSCF5609.JPG

DSCF56101.JPG

After about half a day, the fizzing should mostly stop. Seal the jar up and let this ferment for 20 days. Filter into another jar, and you have homemade calcium phosphate. Use it by adding 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Add 1 tablespoon of molasses to the gallon and you will have with the combination the equivalent of using calmag+ at the recommended dosages.

I spent $18 on my last quart of organic calmag. My homemade product costs pennies per gallon to produce. Guess what I will be using from now on?
I thought you were banished from ever cooking eggshells in the house again...

The phosphorus is released from the eggshells upon extreme heat. I was told that it is the black part when you burn them and I don't know any way to separate it from the process. Rest assured that there is not very much at all in there... like you say, less than 1%, and I don't think it is going to hurt anything. You can use plain white vinegar, but then you give up the organic goodness of the apple cider vinegar along with all the vitamins and amino acids that come with it. You may not think you need all these extras, but there are reasons that people tell me that this is the best calmag they have ever used. Sometimes you don't know you need something, until you have tried it. :hmmmm:
Thanks! I'll be using it on a plant that's going into the ground. I wasn't able to get the full range of garden amendments, and I've been growing hot peppers there for a few years. Last year they got a calcium deficiency. Soil analysis says the magnesium is low too. But with the composted sheep manure I dug in, everything else came up in good ranges for cannabis.

Yep, you can not only use oyster shell, but any bones will also work, but each harder to work with and burn down than our egg shells. Also, most self sufficient off the gridders will have chickens... its much harder to train those oysters to lay down their shells, especially here in the landlocked midwest.

Teach me dear Gypsy... do you mean growing scobies in a jar to make kombucha?
I used your recipe and it’s fantastic. Has anyone tested their ppm and ph after they had mixed it with water/molasses ?

here are my readings.

Water used:

7.50ph
144ppm

After 1tbsp of molasses and recipe a (15ml per gallon)

6.82-7.23ph
228ppm

I thought this would be on the low end (the ppm). Anyone test theirs?

This made 1 full cup of Cal-Mag-Pos, enough for me to use during a whole grow atleast.
I shall be using it as 1 Tablespoon per gal.
Are you not getting lock out? I use a 1 tsp cal and 1/4tsp. Plus an 8th tsp epsom per gallon which is close to what the general cal mag supplements recommend on the market

Back
Top Bottom