Fem seeds for mother plant - New grower - Please help

I don't know if I should waste money on fem seeds to make a mother plant

Hello! :welcome: to:420:

No. Do not do it. Don't even bother with Fem seeds at all.. OR Autos. It's always best to start with good stable genetics from both parents. ESPECIALLY if it's going to be a mother you are growing.. Fem seeds are unfortunately the last lineage of genetics. Don't bother with the junk they sell on websites.. Just take their REG's if possible. ;)

Also, in my studies over the years I have seen first hand evidence that fem seeds take longer to veg & flower compared to reg seeds. I have done several studies on this comparing a fem seed to a reg seed. & in most cases the fem seed is always a week or a week and half behind in growth compared to the regular seed. This is a personal study I did some years back. Other large cannabis producers/breeders who I've spoken too say the same thing. It's a fact. Convenience is great. But genetics is greater ;) Hope this helps. :Namaste:

Kid is CORRECT!!!!!

You can mess around all you want with autos and fems. But not for a permanent stock program. Fems work fine for cloning but you are cloning a hermi so good luck in the long haul.

I have a friend who only does fems but he only runs seed and changes every grow because he likes to try different stuff and is only home growing for himself. Those are some good reasons.

But if you are going to clone perpetually from a seed get the best quality ones you can and show some patience for a grow. If you are in a hurry put down 4 of them, take clones early and bloom early and then start your second grow as soon as possibly with the fem clones and you are good to go.

I usually just do old school and grow my seeds like you are supposed to and have enough patience to wait it out. My next one I am gonna do it fast though but still from good seed.

as for recommendation most will say use the sponsors from the website.

I say many of the sponsors are seed banks not breeders and if you poke around you can buy direct from the breeders. I have only used one and they are not a sponsor here... But i have used Nirvana and they have excellent pricing. Regular NY Power Diesel on sale right now for $2.10 a seed in a 10 pack plus 10 freebies.

Most of their regular seeds go for under $3.00 a pop. They got WW going for $2.50

I made a mother out of thc bomb fem seed and it worked fine for 3 diff sets of clones then put mother outside everything was fine

Bit late on this,but..if you just want a mother for a year or two, fem seeds seem to work fine.any longer,I consider a regular seeded mom

I made a mother out of thc bomb fem seed and it worked fine for 3 diff sets of clones then put mother outside everything was fine

I'm not going to get into it. But notice how you said "Worked fine". Instead of "they where medicinal quality".. To a newbie of course he/she would think they "work fine". I would suggest listening to the advice of experienced breeders and growers such as myself and VI. You do not want to get into breeding fem'd or auto seeds. Bad genetics, and your literally helping the extinction of species/strains, and it's a waist of time in the long run. Shitty quality budz compared to the connoisseur quality. You know how long it would take to stabilize bred fem seeds to find a "special" someone/pheno?? Probably not. Sure you can grow a plant regardless, but it won't be optimal.. Not even close to as good as some of the medicine I produce.. But listening to us will also help steer you in the right direction. Because when you do, that's when your garden will flourish & you'll learn. Right now,your garden is just "working fine" .... ;)

Sending positive vibes meng , nobody is talking about hermies. Just the possibility of it happening is MUCH greater then reg seeds. Go ask "SubCool" he knows :rofl::rofl: ;)

:peace:

There is a ton of things that work fine and people do them. You can grow in a closet and that works fine. You can use a 400W bulb and that works fine. You can use MH lights for the whole grow and that works fine.

There are even a lot of bad things you can do to a grow and they work fine.

But when people are asking us questions we should attempt to provide the best quality answers not just "I tried this and it worked..."

There is nothing about growing cannabis that is unknown. It is all very basic science that has been proven for many decades (not always in the cannabis field as we are always late to the party in horticulture).

So it really does not add value to try and persuade people to do something less than optimal for no reason other than I did it and it didn't turn out too bad.

I was talking to CAT345 about this on a different thread. He totally proves the point where he says he got half a pound in from his fems. Outdoor you should be getting 6-10ft tall trees with many pounds. So he has proven that basically either he has no idea how to grow or that Fems yield substantially less than normal seeds. (and he agrees)...

Fems are inferior genetically, scientific fact. Lets not try to convince people otherwise.

Out of interest how many of you have had a fem mother for a long period???

reg seeds arw always best to stock mothers. however you can use fems...

I have fem mothers right now and i also had an A.M.S mother from femmed seed for over 5years as a 3rd gen mother and it was the best mother ive ever had by a long shot. look at the quality of the plants in my old journals.

Theory is one thing bug application is another. Truth is that some strains are more stable than others and it also matters how you care for your mothers.

No mother should wver be started straight from seed, any seed. it should always be grown out at least twice beforw a mother is selected otherwise you have absolutely no idea what you are growing.

As for fem seeds taking longer to grow thats utter rubbish in my opinion. Ive grown many thousands of plants so im speaking from experience.

Never use poor seed banks. grow out healthy seeds, take a few cuts, grow them out, take a few cuts then select ur mother.

Simple answer is YES fems can be used as mothers with good results.

Well I stated in the very beginning you can use fems. I know people who have. I don't use them, I use regulars. I have been growing too long to play games. I can say the few fems I grew were lack luster as compared.

As Kid said up top there is data on this but for sure it doesn't really matter. You can do what you want.

And yes 3 times in the last week I have explained to people that making a mother from something unproven is not wise. but that I think is off topic a bit.

All I am saying is when people ask us for advice we give them the best advice not sort of okay advice.

:Namaste:

I agree.

im not suggesting for a second advising using reg seeds is poor advice, its the best advice. But the question is pondering whether it is worth doing. In my experience it certainly can be. However i know what im doing, it depends on many factors other than just the seed.

People rubbish the idea of femmed mothers without having even ran them for any length of time. All Im saying is that from lengthy experience they do work and can work well. Look through the thousands if plant pics ive posted and look tbrough my journals, bet most peoplw cant pick what was reg and what was fem and wont find many plants that dont look great either.

If you have a strain you like whether its fem or reg try it as a mother and see. even a great reg pheno doeant make the best mothers sometimes. Having quality mothers takes experience anyway. Most average growers dont understand genetics and blood lines anyway.

Out of interest how many of you have had a fem mother for a long period???

reg seeds arw always best to stock mothers. however you can use fems...

I have fem mothers right now and i also had an A.M.S mother from femmed seed for over 5years as a 3rd gen mother and it was the best mother ive ever had by a long shot. look at the quality of the plants in my old journals.

Theory is one thing bug application is another. Truth is that some strains are more stable than others and it also matters how you care for your mothers.

No mother should wver be started straight from seed, any seed. it should always be grown out at least twice beforw a mother is selected otherwise you have absolutely no idea what you are growing.

As for fem seeds taking longer to grow thats utter rubbish in my opinion. Ive grown many thousands of plants so im speaking from experience.

Never use poor seed banks. grow out healthy seeds, take a few cuts, grow them out, take a few cuts then select ur mother.

Simple answer is YES fems can be used as mothers with good results.

I never said you can't either. I just made a point of strongly voting against it. Terrible practices to have. An yes, Reg seeds grow more in the long run then femd seeds. It's a scientific fact about marijuana cultivation. Something that took me almost 20 years to figure out actually.. Now that I have access to laboratories to test my products on a completely different scale, I am beginning to see and shed the light on many different aspects of fem'd, auto'd, and reg seeds. Not only their growth patterns but also their genetic makeups. I can actually send a clipping of a 1 week old plant (Or less if I wanted and it's popped out of the soil) to get sexed and fined out every detail about it's genetic make up.. IT is a 100% true fact, not "belief/ rubbish" that seedlings grow bigger them fem'd seeds. I have spent a long time in my personal "laboratory" studying these effects and have given them all a equal shot at impressing me. These are the experiments that tell me the truth, rather then what some other grower "thinks". If I have hard times diagnosing something these day's I'm fortunate enough to be able to send off whatever it is I need to a lab to verify my findings. I spoke with DJ short a few times over the years. He also agrees with this fact and has done these tests himself.

However, I did not say anything about "not being able to" breed fems. Auto's yes. The average newbie/joe cannot breed autos as well. ( I mean breed from pollination, not that poisonous silver colloidal crap) You can breed fems. But, as time goes on the genetics will be lost and you'll end up with C grade Or worse product, that will eventually start deforming. I also do not agree with your methods on stocking a mother. I have my own genetics with certain strains that are only seeded mothers. I have around 21 plants/mothers out back that are pushing 8 years of age. ALL FROM seed and have given me hundreds (literally) of amazing, beautiful connoisseur quality trees/budz. lol, I can see that the term "To each their own" really comes into play here as well.. But all that being said, I highly respect your opinion and understand that you are not a beginner at marijuana cultivation. So my hat's off to you my fellow breeder, I do have much respect for you even tho our "paths" are in the opposite direction.. :thumb::love:

Sending positive vibes to you my fellow breeder :peace:

And much of what you are saying there is why I wouldn't recommend to people to use fems for long term exposure.

I was a breeder for a long time too. For the 3 of us we can go start a thread for people who are in the know and can talk about it. But most of the stuff here in the FAQ are not experts with decades like us hammering out subtleties of various techniques. We are talking to newbs who can't water correctly.

I say stuff all the time that is not how I would do it because I do more complicated things I would only recommend for an expert. If they want to start a journal and learn about something then great. However in this section, we gots ta keep is simple and basic.

PLUS

Most important rule in growing cannabis is Patience. Learning how to properly select the right mother from 5-10 seeds of identical heritage from the same seed bank is a very good set of building block of lessons that should be learned before going off and just making quick unproven mothers from femd seeds.

That is the whole point of using a Fem is to be impatient and skip the easiest part of selecting a mother.

So I say keep it simple, not add blurred lines to confuse saying well there are a thousand ways to do this. Teach them the best method using the right techniques to get the best possible outcome.

:peace:

i cant understand how you are saying regs grow faster?

For sure regs are better i dont disagree. Im just saying fems do work when grown properly.

My point with starting mothers from seed wasnt that they dont make good mothers because they can. It was more meant to say how would you know what pheno you are getting? now if you started a mother from seed and waited for it to produce cuts then flowered the cuts out a few times then yes you have seen what you can get and could keep it. However id be inclined to flower out the seed while the cut matures into a new mother.

I guess in the end there is no right or wrong way if what we are doing is working. I guess the very fact we are having this conversation shows just how adaptable the cannabis plant is. I believe if you understand how to grow and nurture plants then you will make just aout any plant succeed. There is no substitute for educating ones self on growing practices and for practical application.

Back
Top Bottom