First CFL Grow Using 30 Watt CFLs

Re: first cfl grow using 30watt cfls

420 staff msgd me about all this, even all the posts in member of the month have been deleted, i tried nominating someone then i get a msg saying their was a problem with their accounts, anyone know if tesmp is backonling yet, i cant believe you lost your whole journal, bit of a piss take starting again, glad to see you back here though.

so if anyone entered the contest for plant of month, nug of month and member of month then make sure its back in the contest as all of it was deleted, id be screwed of mine was deleted due to all the advice ive got from the start of my journal, i want to be able to look back over how things went and what worked and what didnt work, is tesmp under a different name now, its shocking what happend but the techs where doing all they can to sort it out, at least your back thats the main thing, checking your journal now mate,

right back to my grow, ive got a bit of a dilema, as i was very genrously donates some of blup plantest nutrients and even had the postage covered by 2 top members on here tesmp been one i cant name the other, and corey chipped in so owe him as well, now i want to make sure i can give my plants the best i can, so ive been looking in toolstation catalogue and they sell the following, IP65 Floodlight, for £26.51. it either comes with a mercury fitting and bulb or comes with son fitting and bulb which from what i can tell is sodium bulb, the bulbs are only 70watt and i can only get one in my grow room unless i can strip the balast out and mount it outside the room and just have the bulb and a reflector in the room, plus i cant afford to pay for both types of light just yet,
so am i better off getting the sodium light or the mercury one, i thing the mercury is for the flower stage isnt it, so would i be better of sticking with cfls for the veg stage and using a mercury light with a load of 2700k cfls thrown in for the flower stage, is that price good and is it worth me getting one, i think it will increase over all yield,

please jump in n tell me whats best,

pictures coming up next with measurements, have a look see if growth is stunted due to the cfls been within an inch of the top of the plant, i have raised the lights about 6 inches, these 30watt cfls give off a lot of light and i didnt notice any drop in light till the lights was about 8 inches away, maybe its due to the lights been as low as they was, the berry bomb sprout was further away from the lights and this has loads of stretch, is it just because their indica that i have had no stretch or because the light was just above the plants and they didnt need to stretch to get the light.

big bud plant sprouted its 1st proper leaf on the 8th of march ok, so that gives you some idea of age, the nlx bb had its first real leaf about the 12 of march so please have a look and see what you think, was the lights to low to the plant and did they need to be further away to make the plants stretch more, or if having the lights close has caused the growth to slow and lower branches to catch up with top of the plant, now ive raised the lights is this a godo thing as all the branches should stretch at the same rate now,

let me know what you think, or is it nute problem, is my baby bio no good to use for these plants npk is 10.6 - 4.4 - 1.7, so maybe its the nutes, heres the pics of big bud and northern lights cross big bud fem

04042012_005_.jpg

04042012_004_.jpg

04042012_003_.jpg

04042012_002_.jpg

04042012_001_.jpg

04042012.jpg

he everyone, i need some help please, tomorrow morning im thinking about gettig a new light, the options i have in my price range are flood lights, here is the desription of both of them, i not sure what each bulb does in different growth, ie veg or flower cycle or both, i can only afford to buy 1, here is the flood light options i have

1x UV stabilised, polycarbonate body,visor and anodised aluminium specular reflector.

thats the descrition, now their are 2 lights under the same description so im thinking their the same lights but one has a son bulb ballast in it and the other has mercury ballast in it,

which is the best for me to get, which one is for veg or flower,

one says it comes with mercury fitting and gives an order number but next to it it say son fitting excludes lamp so i think ill need to buy a bulb if i choose the son option which i can also get from the same place, now the lights are listed as £26.51 each and the bulb for the son lamp is another £6, now i can afford to buy the lamp and the bulb but i cant afford to buy both lamps, so am i better off getting the mercury option or the son option, they are both only 70watt, but if they improve my grow then i dont mind buying which ever one is best, i mean is one for flower and one for veg or both for flower or both for veg and if so which one is the best option for me,

imm be picking these up at 8:00am, the time is now 22:24 so if anyone can jump in and give me some info on whats best then ill go and pick one up in the morning, i mean am i ok using cfls for the veg stage and be better of getting the one that is for the flower stage, as of now im only using basic cfls for veg and for flower, so im thinking ill probably be better off getting the light thats more suited to the flower stage,

please advice me im unsure on which is best, ive only used hps in the past so not sure what each of these do or even what a son lamp or bulb does, i mean it list these lights under the same listing but 2 part numbers, one for mercury one for son bulb, are these bulbs interchangable or can i only use the mercury bulb in the mercury base and the son bulb in the son base, im unsure of whats best to get.

Hey there bro saw ur thing I wouldn't get flood lights its halogen and it runs very hot unless its different but if u could get some HID light even a small one will really make the differeencee I might get one :)

is the son a high pressure sodium, and the mercury says its 125 watt not 70watt so the son lamp is 70watt and the mercury is 125watt, which is best and what stage of growth is each bulb for,
here is the link to a page where the light is listed

Toolstation > Lighting > Commercial Lighting > IP65 Floodlight

so the 70watt son floodlight wont be any good for flower and basic cfl's will flower better, are both the mercury and son lamps for the flower stage, and is the son bulb and lamp the same as high pressure sodium, surely a 70watt son lamp would increase yield if it was used along side cfls,

their not the hallogen floodlights if thats any help to you, the bulb is not energy saver either, its labelled as a son lamp, which as far as i can tell is very similar to a hps light, is it worth me picking one up, or would the mercury one be a better option,

does a 70watt son lamp with ignitor fit into a standard light fitting or does it have it have its own ballast, ive figured out the son lamp is for the flower stage of growth, but is it worth me getting one and will it increase yield,

does a 70watt son lamp with ignitor fit into a standard light fitting or does it have it have its own ballast, ive figured out the son lamp is for the flower stage of growth, but is it worth me getting one and will it increase yield,

I would personally stick with CFLs more of them and in the red spectrum when you begin flowering.

dont know mate but could do with some advice on these bulbs, deege420 had to use a different name to stay on the site so you might need to do the same, you are not banned or anything like that i checked yesterday about this as i didnt know what was going on, they said it was a error when they was updating the system, so if you can use that name to log in then try changing it but make sure you let me know what it is so i know its you that im talking to, ive got the chance to buy a light tomorrow and thinking it might be worth or not worth doing, im heading towards the 70watt son floodlight, its a low wattage which is watt i want due to electric cost plus im on a smart meter so dont want to draw attention so ive changed all my bulbs in the house to low energy so i can do this grow without any problems, i just need to know if i need to buy the bulb and ballast or can i just buy the bulb as its listed as 70watt son lamp with ignitor, does this mean it will fit into a standard household light fitting or does it still need a ballast with it, im ok buying the 70watt son floodlight but is it going to improve the flower stage and i can still use cfls as well, i just thought it would give me plants a better chance in the flower stage, let me know what you think

ok mate, so you really dont think its worth buying, it has more lumins and is on the right temp so you would say the cfls produce a better finish than using a mixture of the cfl and the son lamp, ive got loads of 2700k cfls all 20 watt and below probably got about 50 or more in boxes unused so can use them to flower, i was just thinking the floodlight will penetrate more and supliment that with cfls, i mean would the 70 son lamp give me more light than say using 3x 20watt cfls and 1x 10watt cfl, i can pick one up tomorrow if its a good idea, but if the cfls will do a better job then im happy to stay with the cfls, i think its basically a street lamp type floodlight by the looks of it, gives off an orange type light

Personally i don't think either of those lamps are all that great. First off the site doesn't list any specs on them so after a little searching on the web heres what i found on them.
First one the mercury bulb here's what i found on that one. "A range of standard high mercury lamps, producing neutral white colour temperature of 4000K." This is right in the middle of what you want for veg 6500k and flower 2700k so i don't really think you would want to go with this one.
Second the 70 watt son looks like it is a frosted bulb and from looking around a little looks like most of those types put out 2000k which is even lower so not sure how that would work out.
Personally i wouldn't waste my money on either one of these.

also their are 2 types of son bulbs the long tube type and the fat round type now the long tube type dont mention the bulb contains the ignitor, but the fat round 70watt bulb states it is a 70watt son with ignitor, does this mean it would fit into a normal bulb socket of does it still need the proper ballast to go with it

thanks for the info, i searched around as well and found that people have used the mercury light for the whole cycle and veg and flower using the same light and got ok results, i guess thats the 4000k thats making it suitable to both, so the son light is stritcly flower only but at the lower end, does it mean that plants will only flower at 2700k and not below that are would the lower 2000k induce flowering quicker, i know the 6500k and 2700 k cycle temps are only a guide but has any tests been done to figure out if 2700k was a better flower light than say 2000k, but if you really think ill be better off with the cfls then im happy to go with that, i just looked through the catalogue i got today for the tool shop and found them lights, the bulbs are cheap on their own, the mercury bulbs is £2. and the son lamp bulb is £6. so not to bad on price, but if im paying out 25 quid for a lamp that wont improve anything then i would be better off buying something else, possibly more beg bulbs, im just trying to think of ways to improve yield, and plus i dont want to disapoint tesmp and corey with the results after all the effort they have gone through to provide me with nutes, so im just trying to find ways to improve things without breaking the bank and without taking my electric bill up to high, my meter is a new smart meter so im sure the electric company can get readings without coming out so trying not to ramp it up to much, i changed every bulb in the house to 7watt cfls just so i could have higer wattage cfls for my grow,

thanks for the info, looks like cfls are the best option.

so what would be the best type of lights be for the veg cycle and for the flower cycle just so i can get some rough prices incase i decide to change my method after this grow is finished

where i am we use the bayonet fitting bulbs but i could get a converter like i did for my 30watt cfls as they had screw thread and standard here is bayonet fitting, so the son bulb with ignitor would this fit into a standard socket if i bought the little converter or does it need its own ballast,

Again personally I would take the money and put it in a box to save for a 150-400w HPS. You can get then for 70-150 US fairly easily. If you have all the CFLs then just put them to good use. Or maybe spend the money on a good carbon filter, you will need it living where you need it. I'm going to start mh journal tonight (this login). I've made a few changes.

Back
Top Bottom