First Grow Ever, Using CFL

Those look like the balls i had on mine CFLman, i cut mine off, but now i think they were only swollen calyxes and did not have a chance to grow pistils out of them just yet..because i cut them off.

Not Hermi IMO, at least not yet.

I think on all my plants I had that solitary Calyx grow below the bud stalk, those look almost exactly like those.

If you look into the bud on the right, you will see Calyx's in the bud without pistil's yet and they look exactly the same right?

Ball's come to a tiny point like that but look a bit more like a watermelon maybe and stand out like a sore thumb because they have NO tric's on them, if you look even those little Calyx's have tiny fur like structures on them.

At least that is how I spotted them in ball hunts....

:peace: brother.

Ball's look alot like that second to bottom one but are smoother looking, they grow on a tiny stalk though, if you took your finger and put it on top of that and wiggled it back and forth it would bust off at the little stalk.

Those are my thoughts and I had them...so I guess I will stick with them. :grinjoint:

Thanks for teaching us about balls MH! I didn't know most of that. I saw some like the pics and stressed badly over them but they were fine, hopefully yours will be too

Ahh, well this is much more satisfactory :grinjoint:

Thank god, I managed to do some surgery only on two branches. I hope she forgives me, if not, ohh well shucks...
My plants should be A-OK for now.
This has taught me a lot, I think i would have 1 or 2 more plants if i would have known that calyxes always do not show white hairs. I think i might have made that mistake too soon, when sexing my plants.

Note to self - Balls hang :grinjoint: (by a little brach) Calyxes are straight attached to the stem.

Thank you guys, i have learned much about MJ anatomy today!
lol and to think i wus ready to give up one plant, for the sake of others :cool:

I probably would have chopped her if not for this place here :cheer:
Thank you 420 mag! :slide:

:peace:

I could be wrong, but if you were to do a soil pH test from like Home Depot or something with the test tube and the powder... If you use the water that you water it with to fill the tube, that's being taken into account for the pH reading you'll get...

I COULD BE WRONG, but it's counterintuitive to me to think otherwise about it ATM.
tap water is normal in p.h, leave 2 stand 4 (24h) at room temp.
make sure that the water is nt 2 cold th, will shock the plant.:cool:

Thanks for the tip!

Well they are one month and 8 days old. It is the third week flowering soon to be fourth.
Im not going to say much, just show a lot of pictures!

Plant number one!

IMG_49712.JPG

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

Plant number two! The one that got surgery...

IMG_49751.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

Plant number three!

IMG_49791.JPG

IMG_49801.JPG

IMG_49821.JPG

IMG_49841.JPG

I gave them half strength nutrients, seaweed and molasses.

IMG_4986.JPG

I watered them in the bathtub, to let the water run off.
IMG_4987.JPG

I hope you can enjoy the pictures, i also included one pot expert into the pictures :grinjoint:

tap water is normal in p.h, leave 2 stand 4 (24h) at room temp.
make sure that the water is nt 2 cold th, will shock the plant.:cool:

I don't know this as fact but in reading journals I have seen many different PH readings from tap water. The reason for letting the water sit is to let the chlorine evaporate some(but if you have well water there is no chlorine). Low 70s is a good temp for watering,if it's colder it will shock the plant and if it's much warmer it reduces the plants ability to uptake nutes.

My tap waters pH is 7.1 i do lower it a little and there is no chlorine in the water, Lucky! The whole small town is supplied by well water.
And yes, i give them water that is at room temperature, so everything is good in this department.

Still, good to have people looking out :)

Chlorine has never been an issue for me. Chlorine is a nutrient required by marijuana. I never understood why so many people say you HAVE to have R/O systems or buy filtered water. Most municipal water supplies have little amounts of chlorine and the amounts they use can actually be beneficial to marijuana. I think it is sometimes a misunderstood issue. Just my two cents. Not that anybody cares. Lol.

Chlorine has never been an issue for me. Chlorine is a nutrient required by marijuana. I never understood why so many people say you HAVE to have R/O systems or buy filtered water. Most municipal water supplies have little amounts of chlorine and the amounts they use can actually be beneficial to marijuana. I think it is sometimes a misunderstood issue. Just my two cents. Not that anybody cares. Lol.

Chlorine is used by plants in very small amounts. If you were in my town and someone handed you a glass of unfiltered water straight out of the tap, your first thought (after gagging) would be to wonder why someone poured Chlorox into your water. Many municipalities get carried away with (or do not properly ensure standards when testing/regulating) the injection of chlorine.

Actually, Chlorox might be a slight exaggeration. It's more like what you'd have if you dipped your glass into a hypochondriac's swimming pool - but you get the picture.

Aside from the chlorine issue, tap water has a variety of substances in it and the levels can vary seasonally even from the same tap. If your water contains high levels of calcium (an element used by plants) for example - and many people's water does - then you could end up with problems unless you take that into account or at least use a "hardwater" nutrient product.

Since it is generally easier and cheaper to install a decent filtration system - or even in many places to purchase filtered water - than to constantly have the tap water tested, many people choose to do so.

I think yield plays a part, also. You can grow "a" crop with unknown water, guessing on pH, with dim lights, etc. But maximizing your setup is the only way to maximize your yield.

Thank you for your kind words ConqueringLOJ, lol catnip, YEAH!
TorturedSoul, you are always packed with good info!
So you say, using filtered water or bottled water would be a lot stable than tap water? The different micronutrient values really might vary depending on the season i see the logic in that. Also depending on the rain and crops fertilizers used, that might get carried into the deep water reserves we use in our tap water.

Well i wanted to know more about this chlorine thing so i used google:

"Chloride is involved in the evolution of oxygen in the photosynthesis process and is essential for cell division in roots and leaves. Chlorine raises the cell osmotic pressure and affects stomata regulation and increases the hydration of plant tissue. Levels less than 140 ppm are safe for most plants. Chloride sensitive plants may experience tip or marginal leaf burn at concentrations above 20 ppm."

"Chlorine is also benefitical in killing pathogens that build up in your res. of course you need to first determine the ppm of chlorine in you tap water. "

It is also said : "It drops in ph because the chlorine is evaporating, when set to say overnight for 24 hours" Can someone with a digital pH meter confirm this? would bee good info.

"In high concentrations, chlorine is toxic to plants. For example many plants that are kept near indoor swimming pools, where the water is heavily chlorinated, suffer leaf discoloration and damage. However, the chlorine that is often added to municipal water supplies is not usually strong enough to cause damage to plants."

"I have also read that when chlorine gas is released by accident from chemical plants or damaged railroad cars, nearby trees have died as a result"

I got a little smarter but i still won't be adding it myself. And i cannot be 100% certain how proven this is i just found. I have not done extensive research into that, just a surface thing...

Chlorine is used by plants in very small amounts. If you were in my town and someone handed you a glass of unfiltered water straight out of the tap, your first thought (after gagging) would be to wonder why someone poured Chlorox into your water. Many municipalities get carried away with (or do not properly ensure standards when testing/regulating) the injection of chlorine.

Actually, Chlorox might be a slight exaggeration. It's more like what you'd have if you dipped your glass into a hypochondriac's swimming pool - but you get the picture.

Aside from the chlorine issue, tap water has a variety of substances in it and the levels can vary seasonally even from the same tap. If your water contains high levels of calcium (an element used by plants) for example - and many people's water does - then you could end up with problems unless you take that into account or at least use a "hardwater" nutrient product.

Since it is generally easier and cheaper to install a decent filtration system - or even in many places to purchase filtered water - than to constantly have the tap water tested, many people choose to do so.

I think yield plays a part, also. You can grow "a" crop with unknown water, guessing on pH, with dim lights, etc. But maximizing your setup is the only way to maximize your yield.

I completely agree with you. However, I've never "gagged" on municipal tap water. Also, when testing my water it has never read over 30 ppm so I haven't felt the need to hook up any kind of filtration. Not all municipal water is equal, so make sure to check it out before using. I'm no expert, I just know what's worked for me and mines. Peace and love!!

Also, when testing my water it has never read over 30 ppm so I haven't felt the need to hook up any kind of filtration.

Wow, I wouldn't either with water like that. Mine varies but I've never seen it that low (or even in double-digits). It is routinely over 335ppm and I've seen 420(lol).

Just goes to show that every situation is going to be somewhat unique and that there is no "one best way" to grow.

Wow, I wouldn't either with water like that. Mine varies but I've never seen it that low (or even in double-digits). It is routinely over 335ppm and I've seen 420(lol).

Just goes to show that every situation is going to be somewhat unique and that there is no "one best way" to grow.

Jeez, no wonder you're gagging on your tap water. lol.

Hope we didn't jack your thread, CFL. Good growing, Brothers!!!

Naw no probs.

Sorry to be inactive for so long...
Gonna give a little rundown:

Well i fed them full nutes, seaweed and molasses two days ago.

And also put mylar up on my walls from the last money i had ATM. Looks shiny and the closet is totally light proof now! Well not the ventilation holes tho... I don't know yet what to do with them...
IMG_4988.JPG

I think i have come a long way from tottally ghetto ass rigging i used to do before, damn it was a good start, i take pride in doing everything myself, tho sometimes it might be a little half assed... But i still lack a 400w HPS.... 600w would be overkill for this closet?

What i used to have:
IMG_4803.JPG

3509.jpg

But well, i am pretty much broke now... Been pretty much smokeless since i started this, but a friend here end there sometimes helps out with a joint.
Still totally worth the wait! Growing your own is so fantastic! And to soon taste the fruits of my labor!

Looking realllllllly exciting my friend. Love it!

I adore cats, i have 5, yeahh I know, too many.. however they are prone to carrying pests in from outdoors n stuff so dont let them anywhere near the plants. I dont mean like fleas n that lol I mean just thinsg hitch rides from the campo n stuff. Is yours an indoor cat?

I too ben smokeless since I started this new hobby, 2 months wihout a smoke now! after 20 years daily! Now feel I dont smoke sort of so is kinda wierd haha. Thing is I realised I would regret paying out for anything crap, which it usually is so I have held out. Just another 2 months now! sighhhhhhh

:peacetwo:

Five? Whoa! Must be fun :cool:
Yeah totally indoors, just let them to a balcony when they want :grinjoint:

Yeah, im already seeing the quality increase just by looking at them, i'll post new closeups when i water them ;) Looking juicy

Edit- After thinking a while maybe a 250w HPS would suffice? 400w might also be overkill :/

Back
Top Bottom