First Grow Week 1 Bloom: Raspberry Cough, Sterling Haze, BlackJack & A Freebie

KiriaPusti

This is my first grow. I’m starting this journal (this site is a recent discovery) in my first week of bloom because I’m hoping some kind people will help me from screwing up and guide me the rest of the way to a bountiful harvest.

Warning: Everything I know, I learned on the Internet.

I have six plants growing in a hydroponics set up using three General Hydro PowerGrower pots and three Home Depot buckets. There are two Raspberry Cush, two Sterling Haze, one Black Jack and one unknown strain called “Freebie.” I bought the seeds from Nirvana Seeds in Amsterdam and they threw in a 10-pack of free seeds, which they did not identify. The five-pack BJ was also free.

More about the Strains

The RC, SH and BJ are feminized (not autoflowering). The RC and SH are sativa hybrids and the BJ is a sativa/indica hybrid. As for the Freebie, I like, Schultz, know nothing; it might even be a male, so I’m keeping a close eye on it.

From Nirvana’s site:

SH is a Haze/Northern Light F1 hybrid. Tall but with dense, bright green buds.
Sweet-and-sour taste. Stony yet up high.-

RC is a 70 percent sativa hybrid of a Cambodian landrace and Ice. Clear, up yet calming effects. Highly recommended medical F1 cross. Spicy, very Dutch taste. Plants can be grown closely together for maximum yields

BJ is a Black Domino / Jock Horror hybrid. Hard buds with huge, grape-like calyxes. Exceptionally long-lasting high. Highly thought-of medical marijuana strain. Nirvana stopped selling this strain after I received it. I don’t know why but I hope it’s not a bad sign.

Hydroponics set-up

I started with four GH PowerGrower modules, which included everything you need to get started (clay pebbles, nutes, air pump, drip column). I did the math and they cost about the same as if I bought everything separately. It was an easy way to get going.

I planted four seedlings in rock wool into the clay pebbles. A week later, I planted three more. This is about week two.

Early_veg3.jpg

Early_setup.jpg

Even so, I added the three HD buckets a week later because I already had them. I bought baskets, drip columns, clay pebbles for those. Three weeks in, I yanked one plant (a second Freebie) that was in the PG module, so now I have six plants. Each pot holds about 3 gallons of water.

The six pots are connected by blue ½” vinyl tubing, which runs to a 16-gallon controller bucket. This is where I mix the nutrients, adjust the PH and top off. There is also a submersible pump on a timer in the controller, which pushes the nute solution through the system a couple of times a day. Next to and above the controller bucket on a desk is a 35-gallon reservoir that I use to replenish my water supply. My system is in a walk-out basement and so it's easy to fill the reservoir using my garden hose and to drain the system by running a hose out the door.

rezandcontroller.jpg

controller3.jpg

I originally ran a hose from the rez to a float valve in the controller bucket. I don't use it and top off manually.

Grow tent, lighting and ventilation

My equipment includes a 4 x 4 foot Vivosun grow tent. I keep the temperature at 68-70 degrees. Humidity is low this time of year. There’s a 4-inch Hurricane intake fan with a 6-inch Phresh carbon filter and a 6-inch Hyper Fan out take fan with a 16-inch Phresh carbon filter that vents to the outside through a casement window. I have a 600w LED. In addition, I have a commercial air pump with 8 outlets. Seven outlets provide air to the drip columns and one provides air to an airstone in my controller bucket.

ventout.jpg

The filter does a good job of filtering weed smoke. This is about two months from out of the package.

intakefilter.jpg

The fans, light and pump are plugged into TP-Link Smart wi-fi plugs and I can control them using the Kasa iOS app.

Nutrient solution and schedule

I use the GH FloraSeries for nutes, and I supplement with Biotonicare Hydroguard for roots and CaliMagic for calcium and magnesium. I just ordered FloraBloom from Amazon, which supposedly aids in flower and bud growth and will add that when it arrives.

I looked at several different nutrient schedules. including ones recommended by GH, websites, as well as several growers. Based on that, I have my mix at 1000-1200 PPM for the early bloom stage where the plants are now. My PH hovers constantly around 6.0.

Plant training

I have fimmed or trimmed the plant tops at a couple different stages of growth; I super cropped; and last week, I added a screen and tucked and clipped the plant tops to the mesh. I also trimmed everything on the lower 1/3 of each plant.

Early_veg_1.jpg

Here’s how things look now, one week later. Fifty-three days so far…

First_week_bloom1.jpg

re: First Grow - Week 1 Bloom - Raspberry Cough - Sterling Haze - BlackJack & A Freebie

I'm concerned that six plants that are growing like crazy in a 4 x 4 x 6 foot tent might be a bit much. I worry that overcrowding will lead to problems. I also wonder if 600w is enough. The plants are mushrooming directly under the light and predicably, less so toward the fringes of the screen.

Re: First Grow - Week 1 Bloom - Raspberry Cough - Sterling Haze - BlackJack & A Freeb

Week 2, Day 3 in Bloom.

The plants are doing great so far but that may change if I don't act.

I drained the system and replenished with a new soup. I'm shooting for a PPM of 1200-1300; last week was in the 1100-1200 range. Eventually PPM will reach 1400 and then will drop as I taper off and finally flush the nutrients before harvest. Just checked and PPM is hovering around 1350; PH is 6.1, water temp 66 degress; air temp in tent 72 degrees, humidity 62 percent.

I have a submerged pump in my controller bucket and the pump is plugged into one of the TP-Link Smart Plugs and I've scheduled it to run every six hours, circulating the solution using Kasa, an iOS app. I have two airstones in the controller.

Does anyone but me have a problem with airstones? I've tried a few different sizes and shapes and they all stop emitting bubbles after a few days. They don't seem to be clogged or coated and I can't figure it out. I use a couple of small cheapo ones that seem to last but they don't seem to aerate much.

I decided I need another LED to get more light into the corners. The LED provides a maximum coverage of 5 x 3.75 feet and a core coverage of 5 x 2 feet. In a 4 x 4 tent, the light isn't giving me as much coverage as I need. I already knew this could be an issue. When I contacted them to see what light to get, they suggested two 600s. They're $659 apiece and I was reluctant to fork over the dough for a second one.

As you can expect, the plants are much taller and bushier directly under the light and inches shorter at the corners. I might be able to get away with using the light alone but now that the plants are in the critical blooming stage, I don't want to risk it. I also don't want to spend $659 for a light but I don't think I have a choice. In for a penny and a pound, right?

The 600 is in high demand and the soonest It appears that I can get one is after Christmas and that's too far down the road. They do have a 450 in stock and that's what I ordered yesterday.

Two 600s would have given me a total of 1058 watts, veg and bloom lights combined. One 600 and one 450 would give me a total of 921 watts, less by 137 watts. I'm using these numbers only to give you a comparison but I'm not sure how these numbers apply in the real world.

Close enough, I guess. The light costs $539 with shipping, still a lot of money. I have to keep reminding myself these purchases will pay for themselves in only a couple of months. It just doesn't make sense for me and mine to pay $1200 a month for weed when you can grow it yourself for next to nothing after the initial investment.

If the time comes if I decide I really need a second 600, I'll have the option of using the 450 in a smaller grow tent for seedlings and clones or selling it on eBay.

Re: First Grow - Week 1 Bloom - Raspberry Cough - Sterling Haze - BlackJack & A Freeb

I've been using this GH FloraSeries recirculating nutrient schedule as a guide. This morning PPM was 1430s, PH 6.2, water temp 66 degress

Week 9, Week 3 of Bloom

Last week was a downer. My best-looking plant (mystery seed) turned out to be a male. One day I didn't see sacs, and then pow, they started popping up almost overnight. The signs that it was a male were there well before I realized it but, what do I know? It was only after reading more about male v. female differences that you could tell by it's general shape and leaves that it was likely to turn out male.

The mystery seed was one I got from Nirvana Seeds as a 10-freebie pack with some feminized seeds. I planted one of the freebie out of curiousity. Who knows, maybe it was something tasty.

I got rid of the male of course, and there's no harm done.

What's growing

Now, I've got five plants: 2 Sterling Haze, 2 Raspberry Cough, 1 BlackJack.

According to Nirvana:

Raspberry Cough, a 70% sativa strain bred by Nirvana Seeds. A cross between a Cambodian landrace and ICE, Raspberry Cough exhibits clear-headed uplifting effects good for productivity.

Sterling Haze: Haze/Northern Light F1 hybrid. Tall but with dense, bright green buds. Sweet-and-sour taste. Stony yet up high.

BlackJack: Black Domino / Jock Horror hybrid. Hard buds with THC-encrusted calyxes the size of grapes.Extremely long-lasting high.
Very tasty, heavy smoke. Great medical strain.

Nutrients, PH etc. are fine

My nutrient mix has been hovering at 1200 PPM, and PH at a steady 6.1. I will increase the mix to 1350 -- 1400 PPM in a couple of days following the schedule I posted earlier. Humidty, water and air temps are where they should be.

Anyone think I should be dosing at a higher PPM? I know some growers like to push limits.

Where's my %$#@&* LED?

I ordered the second LED about a week ago and it still is days away according to the FedEx tracker. It's taken much longer to get here from California than anything I've ordered in months and months. Could be the weather in the middle of the country...don't know. I just wish it would get here.

Defoliation time

After mulling and worrying about it, i did a pretty good amount of defoliating. I've read pros and cons and decided to go ahead because of overcrowding in some places and I wanted to get more light down into the plants. I did not go as far as some growers I see in videos have done because I worry I might eff something up. In a few days or more, after they have recovered, I'll see if I need to go further. Scary.

Week_9_Flower_3_1.jpg

you are doing a great job so far, nice pick on the strains too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was wondering if anyone was looking in.

I'm impatient by nature and growing weed takes a long time. It makes me itch. As least the plants grow quickly. I see changes every day and that's enjoyable. One of the first things I do every morning is poke my head into the tent to see what's going on.

At what point does a seedling go into vegetative stage? Two or three weeks? My vegetative stage is seven weeks from start the way I have it on my nutes schedule but in my mind, that was three weeks as a seedling and four weeks vegetative stage.

FedEx is making me crazy. I ordered the LED Dec. 1 from Cali. Since then, the package has gone to AZ, KS, IL, OH. It was in western MA yesterday and instead of continuing east to me on Cape Cod, it went to CT and then to NH. It doesn't say where the package is headed next but delivery is scheduled for Dec. 12. Crazy time of year with Xmas and bad winter weather, but still....

You could have scrogged 2 plants and had a nice yield. Looking healthy

You could have scrogged 2 plants and had a nice yield. Looking healthy

You got that right. When I started out, I did not know SCROG was a thing. I would have likely started with just four plants, with the idea that I might eff something up, and get two across the finish line.

If I'm successful using a screen, I'll use fewer plants and put whatever I've learned into doing more expert topping, trimming and tucking things into the screen just right.

Quite a bit to know with this new hobby (and investment because I won't be buying weed at $300 an oz).

It's interesting, esp. with hydro, because of all the moving parts. Similar to planted-aquarium keeping, another hobby of mine.

It's been a long week....

I put up the P450 and I think the tent is getting plenty of light. The problem is, too much light. Long story short, the timer this light was plugged into malfunctioned and so the new light has not been turning off at night, like the other one. So, for the past 8 days, the plants have been on 24 hours nonstop light!

From what I've read, a week is not long enough for the plants to revert to veg but the stress can't be good. Also, from what I've read, this kind of stress could cause the plants to transition into hermaphrodites, aka hermie (sounds like a disease).

So, now what? I guess I'll see what happens soon enough.

It's the middle of Week 4, bloom. The plants have gotten really tall. Four are 40-55 inches tall; one is stunted in comparison at 30 inches. All four of the tall plants have flowers (still very small); the fourth hasn't any yet. That plant seems very healthy, but it seems to have stopped growing and I have no idea why. It's getting the same nutrients and light as the others.

Preflower17.jpg

I like the colors in this shot:

leaves38.jpg

I did some more defoliating. I really went at it. I'll post a before and after when I can

Geez Louise, I should have mentioned that recreational pot became legal on Dec. 15 here. You can legally grow 6 plants for yourself and if there is another household member who smokes, you can grow up to 12.

I'm thinking about growing outdoors in my garden. The problem is that it could be seen from the street if the angle is just right. The last thing I need is to get my plants near harvest and the neighborhood's teens decide to reap instead. That's what I would have probably done at that age.

I like growing indoors for many reasons and as much as I would like to set up a second tent, that would be a hard sell to the accountant I married many years already. If my first grow is successful, I'll be in a better position to negotiate. If not, there's always outdoors.

I defoliated quite a bit a week or so back and the plants are still growing and filling out. I don't dare take anything else off. I hope it's enough to drive growth where I want it to go. I've decided not to pull anything else off because of the old better safe, not sorry, angle.

I've got one LED cinched as high as it will go and the other is inches way from the top. Meanwhile, one plant has grown past one LED and has reached the top of the tent. Two others are hovering just underneath their respective lights and days away from growing past them. They're sativas, so they're doing what sativas do. Of the two others (indica/staiva hybrids), one is about chest high and the other is waist high (6'1" height).

I read the plants will stop growing in flower, but I thought that would have happened by now... Now what do I do if/when the plants plow into the underside of the tent? They're not going to get light above the LEDs and where are they going to grow to? I imagine I'll have to rig something up and get them growing sideways and adjust the lights somehow. Suggestions, brother, can you spare some?

When I bought seeds, I really didn't think it through enough. I knew sativas grew taller than indicas but there is a huge difference in my plants. I never imagined that any plant grown indoors, let alone something I had anything to do with, would get to six feet.

My nutes have been in the 1100-1200 PPM range and PH steady at 6.0. I changed every 7-8 days. In addition to FloraSeries, I've been adding KoolBloom, CaliMagtic and Hydroguard. This combination seems to be right on for these plants -- they couldn't be any healthier (even the stunted one is a sturdy little bush).

This is week 5 in flower and these plants are supposed to go 9-11 weeks, so it's about the halfway mark and harvesting in mid February if all goes according to plan.

-- "Man makes plans, and God laughs."

IMG_119140.jpg
IMG_119840.jpg
IMG_119936.jpg
IMG_117031.jpg

Thank you. I will try tying down the upper growth.

I have a few unexpected bucks so I thought I might upgrade the 450 to a 600. They make a big deal about their "no-hassle 90-day return," so why not? Why not, is because the company charges a 20 percent restocking fee. They only mention that fact in the fine print. It's not quite bait and switch, but close enough. I'll keep the light and use it in a second tent for vegging, hopefully in the next couple of months.

Nice grow you have going. Very nice setup. I am on my first grow also and have height issues with mine. I decided I wanted more variety in my grow so I started some seeds three weeks later than the first ones. The oldest ones have 7 weeks veg time. They are 20 days in flowering and still stretching. I had no idea they would grow that tall being indica's. My younger ones are sitting on top 5 gallon buckets to get my canopy even. Im going to try to bend mine over in the next couple days if they don't stop stretching. I'll be checking in to see how your grow turns out.

Back
Top Bottom