First hydro, Deep Water Culture, 400w MH/HPS Sour Diesel, Northern Lights

Re: FryingPanFlyer's first hydro, Deep Water Culture, 400w MH/HPS Sour Diesel, Northern Lig

yea, the only downsides to an aeroponic unit are the fact that the roots can break off and clog the pump, roots growing into the pump filter, and power outages. the latter will kill everything. Thats why I prefer using Rockwool in an ebb & flow. A 12 -24 hour power outage still sucks, but wont kill everything in an ebb & flow. ...and ofcourse there are all of the technical and electrical problems thay you may face on the slim chance that you get defective timers and controllers.

....Damn, I'm a downer tonight. sorry bro.

Re: The Beast Lives!

The Beast Lives!

Okay, time for a little update, I've got the clones loaded in the beast and it is now in operation! Still a couple items to complete, no co2 yet, I still need to come up with a good system of tying down the plastic, probably a combination of staples, 1x2's and velcro.

So, the stats:

Strains:
6- Durbin Poison
6- Russian
6- AK-47 cross
current stage: clone, rooting
Veg: 3-4 weeks, we'll see
Medium: Hydro, aeroponic system prototype
Size tubes: 6" dia. x 10' long
Grow sites: 18 (6/ tube, 18" o.c.)
Tube spacing: 18", with 12" to plastic at outside tubes
Tube to Bottom of Lights: 56"
Net pots: 3", with hydroton
Res. size: 2- 27 gallon totes
Water Pump: 2300 gph
Recirculating fans: 2- tower type in opposite corners
Size of light: air-cooled 3- 1000k hps
Lighting time: 24/7 during veg.
Cooling Fan: 440 cfm Can Fan
Temp of Room/cab: in test stage, 83 presently
RH of Room/cab: 32%
Nutes: None presently, will use Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow A&B, Super Thrive. Will update during flowering

Okay, my buddy picked up the clones Saturday and I finally got them in today! They don't look that good, only a couple have roots showing and I'd say at least 6 look to be in pretty poor shape. I'll have to wait and see how they work out. The rooting I'm not too concerned with, my grower buddy does his clones in the tubes, I turned the spray to blow right into the side of the net pots, that should sprout some roots. When the roots hits the bottom of the tubes I'll turn the spray to 45 deg down and spray the roots.

I've got a pretty good flow in the supply tubes, the water is spraying out pretty good, but not as hard as my buddies was. Oh, I probably forgot to mention, Friday I got to see his grow, they put the cutting into the tubes on Wednesday, there were already roots showing through a couple net pots! Two days to root, this system kicks butt! He's got 99 plants going. He's going to let them veg a long time since he has so much head height. He wants to see how far he can push this system. He said he had one grow where they averaged 22 oz/ plant! Now I want to see that!

But he is going to turn his water flow down, I may too, I'm not sure I need it this hard, but it is good to see a good flow now. I'm not using any sprayers on my supply, 1/8" holes on a 1 1/4" supply drilled at every net pot. I used a coupling to attach my pvc supply lines allowing me to turn the tubes as required for the stage of growth. I intend to clone in the tubes in the future.

IMG_21471.jpg

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. Time for a glass of wine and a bowl to celebrate this joyous day! This should be good.

But hey, do you guys think I should start a new thread for this one or just continue here? I should probably change the name of this thread if I stay here, which is the way I'm leaning.

Have a great day!

FLYER" THAT SETUP IS "BAD ASS BRO"

I can't wait to get my room finished! an setup and running! :ganjamon:

Re: FryingPanFlyer's first hydro, Deep Water Culture, 400w MH/HPS Sour Diesel, Northern Lig

New thread is my vote too! I'm fastened in and got my tanning lotion on. :nicethread:

Okay, it's settled, I'll start a new thread soon. But right now I have issues. The damn thing is running hot as hell. I need to deal with the excess heat already, I was hoping that wouldn't be for another month or so.

I've got work to do.

I see the only danger with too strong of a flow is blasting the delicate roots as they emerge. Does the flow have that kind of power?

That is my biggest question, will the water pressure be too much? But I can turn the spray into the tube wall rather than at the roots if need be. Plus I can put a speed control on the pump if I want.

yea, the only downsides to an aeroponic unit are the fact that the roots can break off and clog the pump, roots growing into the pump filter, and power outages. the latter will kill everything. Thats why I prefer using Rockwool in an ebb & flow. A 12 -24 hour power outage still sucks, but wont kill everything in an ebb & flow. ...and ofcourse there are all of the technical and electrical problems thay you may face on the slim chance that you get defective timers and controllers.

....Damn, I'm a downer tonight. sorry bro.

Yup, plenty of problems associated with this type of system, but hopefully power won't be one of them. I've been in this house for 3 years now and the power has been very consistent, I don't think I'll have trouble with long power outages, rarely do I see even a blip.

As to the roots, I've got several screens in line to hopefully strain any roots in the system. I'll see about the rest.

This system has proven itself in other applications. I think it will work fine for me, once I get the heat issues dealt with.

Okay, it's settled, I'll start a new thread soon. But right now I have issues. The damn thing is running hot as hell. I need to deal with the excess heat already, I was hoping that wouldn't be for another month or so.

I've got work to do.

Ok, I was checking out the specs for your portable area and you mentioned that your running a 44ocfm fan. Is it a squirlecage or Centrifugal? It makes a difference, and besides, if your running it as an exhaust thru all 3 lights you definately need 2, and they should be 600+cfm bare minimum. You should have one at each end of the lights. With that much ducting your losing most of your CFM's by the time they run thru if you only have the one. I'm sorry if this was already posted by someone, I just popped in, and saw that I may be able to help, and thought I'd post away. If you had a 800cfm Hydrofarm Active air Squirle cge fan Pulling from the lights you could get a 2 hole adapter and it'll suck 400 cfm from the Daisychain, and 400 from the room itself, and you could throw that 440 on the other end of the daisychain pushing air to the 800.........................creating more even workload for the 800. Oh, nevermind about the active air fans, i just noticed your running 6" lol centrifical it is. lol
........Ok, I just went crosseyed..... lol, J/k........Its really actually simple.

Ok, I was checking out the specs for your portable area and you mentioned that your running a 44ocfm fan. Is it a squirlecage or Centrifugal? It makes a difference, and besides, if your running it as an exhaust thru all 3 lights you definately need 2, and they should be 600+cfm bare minimum. You should have one at each end of the lights. With that much ducting your losing most of your CFM's by the time they run thru if you only have the one. I'm sorry if this was already posted by someone, I just popped in, and saw that I may be able to help, and thought I'd post away. If you had a 800cfm Hydrofarm Active air Squirle cge fan Pulling from the lights you could get a 2 hole adapter and it'll suck 400 cfm from the Daisychain, and 400 from the room itself, and you could throw that 440 on the other end of the daisychain pushing air to the 800.........................creating more even workload for the 800. Oh, nevermind about the active air fans, i just noticed your running 6" lol centrifical it is. lol
........Ok, I just went crosseyed..... lol, J/k........Its really actually simple.

I think my biggest problem is that I'm just dumping the hot air into the garage. The air coming out of the lights is about 110 deg, it doesn't surprise me that the garage is so hot.

I'm going to do this incrementally. First I'll get the hot air out of there, I'll run the duct up into my attic for now. I can't crawl around in the trusses, this artificial knee is great for the most part, but crawling is out of the question. My partner is supposed to do that for me, but for now just get it out of the garage.

I've got a 6" inline fan, like 200 cfm that I can add to the lights if necessary, but I am getting good air flow now. I may just use that to bring in fresh outside air. One step at a time, first is go to Lowes for more ducting!

I'll keep you updated.

Love those experimental systems! Tweak, tweak, here and tweak tweak there! I think you are right and you need a cooler temp on the intake air. It becomes a never ending cycle and can get hot as hell otherwise. Might even have to change things as the seasons change.

Love those experimental systems! Tweak, tweak, here and tweak tweak there! I think you are right and you need a cooler temp on the intake air. It becomes a never ending cycle and can get hot as hell otherwise. Might even have to change things as the seasons change.

And after I get the hot air out I'll bring fresh air in. One step at a time. I'm even thinking of a res chiller. Now, someone here found a nice res chiller for under $200, who was that?

If anyone remembers please let me know, I think I'm in the market!

But first to check the pics I took while the house was being built to see what wires will be in my way where I want to cut in the heat exhaust.

yea, the only downsides to an aeroponic unit are the fact that the roots can break off and clog the pump, roots growing into the pump filter.....

To help with this issue; you can get mesh screens and place them periodically throughout the tube. I place one every few net pots. As the roots get bigger take them out. Then once the roots have intertwined they will continue to keep each other out of the draining point. Thats a great deed that aero provides. If there are roots that can get moist it will be filled. As the roots get bigger you can either trim the roots back or create channels for water to travel down.

Your system looks sick FPF. Great work BRO!!! :thumb:

:ganjamon:

To help with this issue; you can get mesh screens and place them periodically throughout the tube. I place one every few net pots. As the roots get bigger take them out. Then once the roots have intertwined they will continue to keep each other out of the draining point. Thats a great deed that aero provides. If there are roots that can get moist it will be filled. As the roots get bigger you can either trim the roots back or create channels for water to travel down.

Your system looks sick FPF. Great work BRO!!! :thumb:

Thanks man, lots of tweaking to be done, I'm at the hardware store now! lol

Hey Fry just checking in brother I saw your aero project man and it looks sweet sir. 3 1000'S NO WONDER IT'S SO F-IN HOT.

Anyways my man glad to see your banging away as always. Been super busy on a new project at work but my grow is coming along should have some new pics soon,

Hey Fry just checking in brother I saw your aero project man and it looks sweet sir. 3 1000'S NO WONDER IT'S SO F-IN HOT.

Anyways my man glad to see your banging away as always. Been super busy on a new project at work but my grow is coming along should have some new pics soon,

Sounds great man, I'll be looking forward to some pics! Glad to hear work is keeping you busy, I'm still pretty slow. So, to keep myself out of trouble I started that new grow. Looks like it will be fun!

.....to keep myself out of trouble I started that new grow. Looks like it will be fun!

:yummy:Isn't growing the best pass time hobby around. And if your putting that system up cause your bored, I can't wait to see what you put together when your not. :well done:

:yummy:Isn't growing the best pass time hobby around. And if your putting that system up cause your bored, I can't wait to see what you put together when your not. :well done:

This growing stuff is addictive! I can't imagine not having a grow going, I'd be down right lonely!

Hey, check out the new thread, I've got some new pics of The Beast.

Back
Top Bottom