First indoor grow, suggestions?

vxscott18

Ok so I'm germinating a purple stavita seed in a wet paper towel right now. I ordered white widow seeds a few days ago and they should be here within a week or 2. This grow is being done in my closet in a big box in a clay pot, prob a plastic one next. Im putting mylar all in the box it should be here wednesday too and a new ph meter will be here in a day or so. I have one 60 watt light for the box with a timer. I have 1 small fan in the box and 1 bigger fan outside the box to keep the air moving and soon ill have a ceiling fan put in my room as well. I also just finished making a carbon filter for when it starts to smell. I've never grown anything indoors, the only thing ive grown is mids which is about 3 maybe 4 weeks into flowering, so i should have some buds pretty soon. But I know thats easier to grow and plus it was outdoors. But if anyone could give me some tips or suggestions it would help a lot, i wanna make this a good grow.:thanks:

Sounds like u read up on this.... What kinda nutes will u be using?

Well anyways those are still too strong... It sounds like miracle gro proportions... Which I wouldn't recommend. You should really consider getting fox farm nutes.... There pretty much engineered for weed. Go to FoxFarm Soil & Fertilizer Company and see the proportions that tiger bloom and big bloom and grow big have.... Also check out the feeding schedule listed on the site...trust me I used something like that fert n really hurt my plants... Foxfarms is really worth it

so i should get all three of them and start off with big bloom when i first put the seed in the soil with 2 tbl of big bloom till the second week then mix a gallon with 2 tsp of grow big and 2 tbl of big bloom then keep doing as it says? and theres 3 tsp in a tbl right?

well I'm not the pro here, not even close but I do have 2 groups growing right now and it does sound like your going to be cramped for space. Are they femmed seeds? If so you are more than likely going to need more space. I guess it will all depend on your plans, lst or scrog grow plans? The space will serve for the start of things, at least until you figure it out. Also you are going to need more light than 1 60 watt, you will need some y adapters and more bulbs. Best thing to do is keep working at it, it's a learning process, and you have come to the right place for help, this is the best group of folks around!!

Whats up vxscott18.

About the nutrients, I wouldn't use something like that for marijuana. Your best bet would be to try something from a company like Fox Farm or Technoflora, or just going with organic ferts; like bat guano, bone meal, blood meal, and seaweed extract.

I agree with Gorilla about the space that definitely won't work for 3 plants, unless you rig up some crazy shit.... Do you have any pictures of the grow area?

About the lights, there can never be too many if you're using cfls. You should have a minimum of four cfls from each light socket, do this by using three Y connectors.

Hope this helps, I'll stick around.

Kwsmoke is dead on there with the light issue, and one other thing you don't want to do is use cheap potting soil get yourself some organic, it's worth the little bit extra up front, I tried to cut corners there and it has cost me in slow growth and problems with ph balance, being out from the start. Best thing you can do for yourself is read, read read, this site will provide you with all the information. From the home page click on grow, and then read the Everything you need to know to grow! Just about every question you can think of is answered there

so last night i ordered one of each foxfarm nutes and im thinking about buying some of their soil as well. Im going to get like 3 more 60 watt lights, do you think that would work then? and ill have pics up soon, i just wanna get everything how i want it first. thanks for the help

Sounds good to me, I just think skimping on quality soil, will bite you in the butt, I believe any good organic soil from your local garden supply is gonna get it done for you, I don't get into the brand names myself. It bit me using plan cheap top soil, and I'm doing what I can now to try and save 11 plants that should be 12 to 15 inches tall and bushy by now, and look dwarfted and very thin. You might want to get a decent ph pen as well, thats my next purchase, liquid test kits are a pain!

so last night i ordered one of each foxfarm nutes and im thinking about buying some of their soil as well. Im going to get like 3 more 60 watt lights, do you think that would work then? and ill have pics up soon, i just wanna get everything how i want it first. thanks for the help

Cool man!

Your plants will thank you in the end!

Yeah, the four 60 watt lights will be good for now, but you're going to want to step it up as the grow progresses.

I know what it's like to grow on a tight budget. But if you look at what you'ld spend for a bunch of cfl's, in the end you would wind up spending as much as you would for a small HID light. Look into sun system's enclosed ballast 150HPS, it costs like $70 and will out perform any set-up of cfls.

The most important thing to remember is that, what you put into your plants is what they will give back. Good luck, and let's see some pictures!

Thanks i just got back from getting 3 more 60 watt lights and 3 y connectors. Mylar will be here wednesday and i think im going to try to get different soil. I should just get organic soil? and put rocks at the bottom for drainage, should i mix the soil with any other kind? Now im also thinking about getting a small HID light later on. But heres what i have so far...

1003091208.jpg

ok so i did away with the clay pot, i can always use it later and went and bought the foxfarm soil, 2 new plactic pots, 2 plastic trays and rocks...

1003091748.jpg

1003091748a.jpg

filled the rocks up to about 2 inches
1003091749.jpg

1003091757.jpg

heres the finished product so far...
1003091801.jpg

and after a few weeks what should i do with the lighting issue?

Looks really good, great job with taking your time and doing this right, this will work well for you.

After a few weeks, your first issue will be the space; they will start to stretch because they'll be wanting more light by then.

You have a few options;

1. You could get some more supplimental cfl's to help out. They'll be a cheap fix for now but you'll have to decide if you want to flower with them as well. I'm not saying that smaller wattage cfls can't deliver results at harvest time, just think it might be a little wasteful.

2. You could invest in a 200w cfl from a specialty light store found on google or better yet, the sponsor list. I have seen some real results with these type of cfls, but it still isnt anything like HID. If you chose to go this route you can still use the cfls you have for supplimental lighting for the lower branches.

3. You could get a small wattage HID system, maybe a switchable MH/HPS compact system or something similar. However, with any HID you will need more space to deal with the temp. and to keep from burning the plant.

Either way i would suggest getting a little more room. Unless you wanted to try LST or something, I don't see those plants fitting in there.

good work!
KEEP IT UP!!!!

the problem with space is my closet is really small it already takes up half of my closet, maybe i can just try one plant at a time or maybe try to make it a little bigger somehow. And when its time to flower them ill just buy a 200w cfl like you said, i found one for $70

Back
Top Bottom