First Time Grower - Could Use Help Along The Way

mikeeriksen

so i got the tent all set up its 6 feet tall 4 feet wide by 4 feet long
got my ballast hooked up saved a ton by geting an industrial one for 30 bucks works great tho its 400 w and currently using a 1 X 400 w MH and got the 400 W HPS as well for later on
running 3 fans atm until i get my 4 inch inline fan.
nutrients im using is dnf 2 parts one is 0-1-3 and other is 2-0-2

Re: first time grower could use help along the way

whats up man, congrats on your first grow! You will find a ton of helpful people here in the 420magazine community so dont worry about that! I will suggest filling out a specs sheet similiar to the one below, This way people will have all the information they need to help you get on your way, ill be subbed so dont hesitate to ask any questions!

:420:

What strain is it?
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
If in Veg... For how long?
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor?
Soil or Hydro?
If soil... what is in your mix?
If soil... What size pot?
Size of light?
Is it aircooled?
Temp of Room/cab?
RH of Room/cab?
PH of media or res?
Any Pests ?
How often are you watering?
Type and strength of ferts used?

Firescent kush
not to sure cant find any information online about it
veg
1 week
indoor in a secret jardin tent 4X4X6
soil
believe its sunshine sungrow aggregate plus bought it in bulk 107L from my hydroponic store
atm 4 big in 2.5 gallon and 4 in 1.5 gallon
400 W MH running off a 400 W magnetic ballast
not aircolled
the room temp during light on is 79-82 and lights off 70-75
lights on 37-42 anf lights off 50-60
its really high atm need to find a solution its at 7-8
not that i can see there may be a plant with a few chews out of it will post the picture
a 3 day cycle of nutrients-water-water then repeat
dnf 2 part 0-1-3, 2-0-2

2011-12-14_21_09_24.jpg

400w magnetic ballast im using
2011-12-12_19_01_13.jpg

2011-12-14_21_06_06.jpg

2011-12-14_21_09_00.jpg

2011-12-14_21_06_14.jpg

the ones before this were older ones these ones are up to date as well it has what i think could be pest problem
2011-12-18_00_01_49.jpg

2011-12-18_00_01_02.jpg

2011-12-17_23_59_21.jpg

2011-12-17_00_27_49.jpg

2011-12-17_00_27_26.jpg

what kind of bug spray
and looks like that could be it a friend gave me the seeds and his bud looks like that

That doesnt look like a bug problem If you had mites you would know....and catapillers bore into a bud and eat bud. Never seen a catapiller on a indoor plant in veg before. You been checking the water PH and soil PH? Some of those pics look like nitrogen lockout from PH being low or just need some nutes....but as young as the plants are I will guess its low PH.

Cona

That doesnt look like a bug problem If you had mites you would know....and catapillers bore into a bud and eat bud. Never seen a catapiller on a indoor plant in veg before. You been checking the water PH and soil PH? Some of those pics look like nitrogen lockout from PH being low or just need some nutes....but as young as the plants are I will guess its low PH.

Cona

the low ph doesnt make sense the water going into it is around 7.5 but i have never tested the run off. its a big 2.5 gallon planter with an attached run off catcher never noticed if it collects any water. should i maybe flush the plant with the wierd leaves and if so how much water should do it. might sound like a wierd question but dont wanna mess anything up

Best would be to water the plant and catch the runnoff from the bottom of the plant and test the PH of that water. That will give you a good idea of what the ph is of the soil. I would just wait till it needs watering and then water some extra and test the runnoff. Dont flush with extra gallons yet. If the soil PH is between 6 and 7 then nitrogen is not locked out and you prolly need a little food. If the soil PH is under 6 then you would need to water in a little hydrated dolomite lime (sweet). Its the white powder water soluble stuff not the pellits. That will adjust the soil PH to near 6.8. In the future grows always add pelletised dolomite lime at the rate of 4 tablespoons per 5 gallons soil. This will buffer the PH and also add cal/mag to the soil. When watering in hydrated lime do it at 1.5 tablespoons per gallon of water.....again only if the soil needs adjusted up.

It could be that the yellowing of the leaves is just needs veg nutes watered in.

Hope this helps. Is someone else reads this and agrees or dissagrees with my advice please help out. Im no expert grower....but I have been where you are a time or 2.

Cona

well another night and now im pretty sure theres something eating away at my babies gonna do the orange trick today and see if that works and if not just gonna spend the money on the bug spray

Mike, it does look like nitrogen deficiency.

Those bites out of your leaves look really weird. You'd think you'd be able to see some critters around the affected areas.

I think you mentioned that you got these (seeds? seedlings?) from a friend who seems to have the same problem. If you started from seeds, you wouldn't think it would be a pest problem. It could be some weird genetics at work. I notice that once in a while I get a weird shaped leaf growing or stunted leaf. These plants aren't always great at making exact copies of perfect leaves.

Sometimes the leaves grow too fast and if they don't have enough moisture, they could crack and tear, leaving you with a deformed leaf. If you have a magnifying glass, look at the affected area. Does it look like it's been chewed away - is there any moisture leaking out of the end of the leaf (indicating that it's been cut or chewed somehow) or does it look hermetically sealed (like the plant is trying to compensate for a crack or tear in the leaf).

Really curious as to what you find!

P.S. Luckily, I've never had a pest problem, so my input may not be very useful.

Mike, I still don't know anything about pests, but I had a few other ideas.

1) I can't see any damage on the lower leaves. If I were a leaf-munchin' critter, I would go for the low hanging fruit (leaves). If there isn't, maybe it's not a pest problem.

2) A grow tent is a pretty small space. Regardless of what your temp gauge says, I think the leaves would feel differently. I have a bigger grow space and it gets really hot (even with a fan) and the leaves closer to the lamp dry out more quickly than the lower leaves. So, if there is no damage to the lower leaves, it might be just too much heat causing the leaves to crack.

You've been overfertilizing your plants. Once every five days would be closer to the mark. On my current crop, I fertilized once a week and my grils grew like monsters. Paradoxically, your plants are undernourished. I think the balance is off. The 0-1-3 is better suited to flowering. No nitrogen in it.

The 2-0-2 is kinda weird also. See if you can pick up some vegetative nutrients. Just one is fine. It should lean towards nitrogen, which is good for leaf development. The one I use is 3-2-4. ALSO, get some Blackstrap Molasses. It has lots of trace minerals that will help keep your plants healthy, as well as essentials sugars to promote growth. (Never under any circumstances buy molasses with sulphur.) That's it. Just two things for the entire growth cycle.

Here's what my girls looked like after two weeks:

NewHome2.jpg

By the way, have you looked at the Pest Identification guide at this site?

good advice thankyou and it does seem that my plants are to close gonna try taking them off the tabke in there and onto the floor just dont want them to stretch to much and i will get the molases i live in canada and not sure where to buy it?

also i put some of the effected leaves under my scope and all i see is white clear hairs growing from them doesnt seem to be chewed at

also i will back off on the nutrients just go to once every week now see how it goes

so i just checked my pantry and i actually have crosbys blackstrap molasses!!

just wondering where it would say it has sulphur in it

the nutrients are as follow per tbsp

sodium 70mg 3%
carb 13 g 4%
sugar 11g
calcium 10%
iron 15%

also only ingredient is blackstrap molasses (sulphites)
which makes me pretty sure i should go buy a new brand and not use this other than to cook with

ive looked around and still am not to sure of what to do i found that sulphur is natural in blackstap molasses and was wondering what i should do

Back
Top Bottom