First Time Grower - Using Hydro & LED

Re: First Time Grower, Using Hydro and LED

Are these fan leaves good for anything? If not I know my chickens will love them

You can juice them, or save for bubble hash, extraction etc, but I doubt there is much THC in them. Stealth gave you some great advice on stripping! :)

I strip the bottom to increase top production, but also to increase airflow, which lessens the chance of fungal growth.

If you went 12/12 twenty nine days ago, you are likely at just the right moment to Defol. 29days, minus 7 days for the plant to enter flowering, is 22 days from flower - perfect!

I agree on that Mystic, she's just begging to be smoked or eaten! :love:

You can juice them, or save for bubble hash, extraction etc, but I doubt there is much THC in them. Stealth gave you some great advice on stripping! :)

I strip the bottom to increase top production, but also to increase airflow, which lessens the chance of fungal growth.

If you went 12/12 twenty nine days ago, you are likely at just the right moment to Defol. 29days, minus 7 days for the plant to enter flowering, is 22 days from flower - perfect!

Thanks Carestaker and Stealth

CS,

The time frame you quoted, is that for all strains? I'm only in day 2 of flowering and was wondering how long before anything happened. 7 days before the plant begins to realize that it's time? And I was gonna cut my flowering short, say 3-4 weeks. But was advised that it's not a good idea. Why not? How long should I flower? Watching for the trichs to change from white to brown? I went 10 weeks of veg while I honed my skillz.

Savin, as I stated before...your a natural man. I've enjoyed watching your progress. Is it even possible to get a head shot out of her...above looking down?

Renegade

Damn sorry ..... knew I forgot the most important ....Pics...LOL

20140403_133355.jpg

20140403_133334.jpg

20140403_133237.jpg

20140403_133308.jpg

Never mind...lol.

Renegade

CS,

The time frame you quoted, is that for all strains? I'm only in day 2 of flowering and was wondering how long before anything happened. 7 days before the plant begins to realize that it's time? And I was gonna cut my flowering short, say 3-4 weeks. But was advised that it's not a good idea. Why not? How long should I flower? Watching for the trichs to change from white to brown? I went 10 weeks of veg while I honed my skillz.

Savin, as I stated before...your a natural man. I've enjoyed watching your progress. Is it even possible to get a head shot out of her...above looking down?

Renegade

Hey Renegade, he totally is a natural, she's bomb.

For the rest....It is strain specific, but most popular strains, stop the stretch (as did the GLP I've grown), right around the 3 week mark, from the beginning of flower. Most strains I've grown take around 5-7 days to show the switch into flower, so my advice was based on these estimates. For flowering time, you want to let them go as long as you can - without letting them go overripe for your tastes. If you pull early, you lose potency, density, taste, weight,..quite a bit. I see you have a link haha! I'll sub over there, and watch you grow. ;)

CS,

Renegade

Hi Renegade.:ciao:
Don't you dare only flower for 3-4 weeks, you will have only wasted all of the 10 weeks you put into Veg. Most strains can be harvested between 8-10 weeks of flower, some a little less, others a little more. The best way to determine the ripeness is to use a magnifying glass of at least 20-30x magnification power and scope out the trichomes. you want mostly cloudy with a little clear and a little amber trichomes for the best overall results. Another good way to tell if the buds are ready is to give them a gentle squeeze. The buds will really firm up and get solid/dense once they are ready.

You would never grow banana's for example, and eat them when they are only half as big as they should be, and are green as grass, not yellow like a school bus.
You gotta let your plants finish in their own time, otherwise it was all for shwag Renegade.
Good luck man.;)

Hey Renegade, he totally is a natural, she's bomb.

For the rest....It is strain specific, but most popular strains, stop the stretch (as did the GLP I've grown), right around the 3 week mark, from the beginning of flower. Most strains I've grown take around 5-7 days to show the switch into flower, so my advice was based on these estimates. For flowering time, you want to let them go as long as you can - without letting them go overripe for your tastes. If you pull early, you lose potency, density, taste, weight,..quite a bit. I see you have a link haha! I'll sub over there, and watch you grow. ;)

My Man....Thank you my Brother...lol.

So a 3-4 week flowering time is not out of the question just don't include the length of time it takes for the plant to change gears. Let it flower for as long as I can stand. Over ripe??? The last stages before the trichs start turning brown?

I'll copy and paste this over to my journal so as not to take over Savin's.

Thanks Savin...

Renegade

Hi Renegade.:ciao:
Don't you dare only flower for 3-4 weeks, you will have only wasted all of the 10 weeks you put into Veg. Most strains can be harvested between 8-10 weeks of flower, some a little less, others a little more. The best way to determine the ripeness is to use a magnifying glass of at least 20-30x magnification power and scope out the trichomes. you want mostly cloudy with a little clear and a little amber trichomes for the best overall results. Another good way to tell if the buds are ready is to give them a gentle squeeze. The buds will really firm up and get solid/dense once they are ready.

You would never grow banana's for example, and eat them when they are only half as big as they should be, and are green as grass, not yellow like a school bus.
You gotta let your plants finish in their own time, otherwise it was all for shwag Renegade.
Good luck man.;)

LMAO....Ok, ok...lol. Just anxious for this experiment to get over so I can really get into it. Pop over to my journal for a reply.

Renegade...

I changed my water today, dang that is only part I need to figure out is how to run water to my attic. Set PPM to 850 and ph of 5.8ish. I did not see any signs of stress from taking out a bunch of the lower fan leaves. Water temp stays around 68 F. I have my chiller set for 66 so when it reaches 70 it starts actually cycle. I hated to spend the money on the chiller but was good investment. pics in couple days

I changed my water today, dang that is only part I need to figure out is how to run water to my attic. Set PPM to 850 and ph of 5.8ish. I did not see any signs of stress from taking out a bunch of the lower fan leaves. Water temp stays around 68 F. I have my chiller set for 66 so when it reaches 70 it starts actually cycle. I hated to spend the money on the chiller but was good investment. pics in couple days

You'll be thankful you bought the chiller in July/Aug.

Good morning, I am up and early checking on the garden before I head out to the Lake and do some boating for first time this year.

WEEK 5 since flipped to 12/12

Little information on the grow. I checked ph this morning and it was 5.8, ppm is 945 and water temp at 68 f. This week I had to add 14 gallons of water which indicates they are consuming about 1/2 gallon a water per plant a day.

Only concern I have right now is I hope the stretching has stopped. I am honestly almost out of room. I tucked more leaves around and the plants seem bushier since I defol last week.

here are pictures please let me know if I need to do anything for them or be concerned.

4-12-14-3.jpg

4-12-14-2.jpg

4-12-14-1.jpg

Thank everyone for the continued support and encouragement.

:peace:

now time to get ready for some great Wake Surfing today. :)

Ok now for some pictures.

your looking good space/height wise SP, I'n my last grow the plants were about 2-4 inches from the lights by the end of flower and they were fine. Now that the plants are bigger and used to the light intensity they should be fine.
Have fun wake boarding. Time for my Wake'n Bake.;)

wow that plant is big! is it one or two plants? very nice :high-five:

Yes, I've learned that my mature plant will accept any height of light practically. The tips of the leaves often stretch to nearly touch the light. She actually seems to like the light closer, so I just keep it low now.

You just keep showing us how cultivation is practiced correctly, please. :cheer:

I'm a Minnesota native, so I wakeboarded a lot. I used to live on blue lake, next to green lake, next to... lots of lakes. Heh

Have a tubular day. I'm disc golfing on this fine spring day.

Plants look fantastic.

Savin,

I hope you get this before too much damage is done.

Not sure what everyone else is using for lights but the LED's can cause damage...

If that's a TopLED brand they recommend 1.5-2' for veg and 2-3' for flowering/bloom. Since this is new ground for all of us then you should stick to the maufactors recommendation until it has been tried and true.

Just my two cents.

I feel you about the running out of space thing, I'm also running out of space and it's more because of those recommendations. So we'll both see how it goes.

Renegade

your looking good space/height wise SP, I'n my last grow the plants were about 2-4 inches from the lights by the end of flower and they were fine. Now that the plants are bigger and used to the light intensity they should be fine.
Have fun wake boarding. Time for my Wake'n Bake.;)

Stealth,

What's the power wattage of your LED's? Watts per diode? 3 or 5?

Mine is 300watts with 3watt LED's.

Renegade

Back
Top Bottom