First Time Grower - Using Hydro & LED

Re: First Time Grower, Using Hydro and LED

Yes, I've learned that my mature plant will accept any height of light practically. The tips of the leaves often stretch to nearly touch the light. She actually seems to like the light closer, so I just keep it low now.

You just keep showing us how cultivation is practiced correctly, please. :cheer:

I'm a Minnesota native, so I wakeboarded a lot. I used to live on blue lake, next to green lake, next to... lots of lakes. Heh

Have a tubular day. I'm disc golfing on this fine spring day.

Plants look fantastic.

Thanks :) the lake was awesome. Some friends from Germany were here... got to try my new vapor out .... I have gone from wakeboarding to wake surfing now, but anytime you get the 3 W's going you will always have a good time. 3W's are Women, Weed, and Water.

your looking good space/height wise SP, I'n my last grow the plants were about 2-4 inches from the lights by the end of flower and they were fine. Now that the plants are bigger and used to the light intensity they should be fine.
Have fun wake boarding. Time for my Wake'n Bake.;)

Thanks. I know next time to not veg for 6 weeks with GLP. I read about stretching but hell... in real life it was awesome.

Get yourself some rope ratchet hangers mate, easily adjustable and can handle around 70kg so that should be plenty. About £10 from amazon :thumb:

They look like the ones holding my Mars II in this picture

image9361.jpg

They are awesome!

I'm new to growing, I started Nov last year, I grow only with LED (here is an attempted panoramic of my perpetual setup). I've since moved the lights alot closer in the flowering tents, but they are still further away than if they were 3w panels.

IMG_52054.JPG

The tents left and right are flowering tents, and the middle is veg with a 126x3w LED light in it.

In my personal experience, I think that the height you are hanging at right now is Ok, i would lift it another 6inches if you can, but i believe the recommendation is 12-36inches for that light so you're golden at the moment.

Reflector LED grow light 144x3w
(near the bottom where it says "tips")

You would get a benefit of covering more ground by raising it, but would lose the intensity on what is currently covered, but it looks like everything is covered anyway. 3w diodes don't emit that much heat, so as long as you dont feel heat when you place you hand on the highest point on your canopy, you're within reasonable range.

Its looking good though mate, and that's a sweet setup and a badass RDWC system! Those plants look lovely and healthy! Cant wait to see the buds pump out! :bravo:

Get yourself some rope ratchet hangers mate, easily adjustable and can handle around 70kg so that should be plenty. About £10 from amazon :thumb:

image9361.jpg

They are awesome!

I'm new to growing, I started Nov last year, I grow only with LED (here is an attempted panoramic of my perpetual setup). I've since moved the lights alot closer in the flowering tents, but they are still further away than if they were 3w panels.

IMG_52054.JPG

The tents left and right are flowering tents, and the middle is veg with a 126x3w LED light in it.

In my personal experience, I think that the height you are hanging at right now is Ok, i would lift it another 6inches if you can, but i believe the recommendation is 12-36inches for that light so you're golden at the moment.

You would get a benefit of covering more ground by raising it, but would lose the intensity on what is currently covered, but it looks like everything is covered anyway. 3w diodes don't emit that much heat, so as long as you dont feel heat when you place you hand on the highest point on your canopy, you're within reasonable range.

Its looking good though mate, and that's a sweet setup and a badass RDWC system! Those plants look lovely and healthy! Cant wait to see the buds pump out! :bravo:

Thanks :) I cant wait either. I just hope the last of my stash lasts me till I harvest. Now to grill me food.

Again thanks all for everyone's encouragements and help
:peace:

Stealth,

What's the power wattage of your LED's? Watts per diode? 3 or 5?

Mine is 300watts with 3watt LED's.

Renegade

My LED is a 240W--comparable to a 400W HPS

Thanks. I know next time to not veg for 6 weeks with GLP. I read about stretching but hell... in real life it was awesome.

Lol....same mistake with me...way to long of veg.

Next time no more then 2-3 weeks. This is the way of limited space people...lol.

Renegade

image9361.jpg

They are awesome!

IMG_52054.JPG

Wanted to get this out real quick before I check the specs that came with my unit.

The specs say (and I'll post a pic of it later)...

Recommended light above plants for seedling and veg time:
240W-450W.....1.5-2'

Recommended light above plants for flowering time:
240W-450W.....2-3'

Lol...and I'm a dumb azz and can't add...lol. 3' is still 36". 24" minimum at best.

And I did pop over to the site and confirmed what you said above. Not sure why they would post one thing and submit another.

Would love to know if 12" is too close.

Renegade

To be fair you're always best to follow manufacturer guidelines, this is just my experience :) As long as you don't see damage to the leaves you're ok I reckon, and so far the only negative I've found by keeping the lights too close with LED is that the nodes are spaced too close together, but I do tend to keep them a bit higher during veg to control node spacing a little. The 5w panels I have I need to keep much higher because they do emit considerable more heat, but still nowhere near that of HID alternatives

For flowering the closer the better I say, with coverage in mind of course :peace:

Of course it's a good idea to refer to the distance quoted from topled. However, advancedled also states that it's important to find the intensity that best suits the genes of the plant you're growing. So, I think the height they quote is based on most produce, like tomatoes. So, you will find that a plant like cannabis is much more hearty, with larger leaves, etc. And they can take much more light, which is great for us cultivators, as our light intensity is much more forgiving.

Under my two ds100s my plants are 0" away and couldn't be more happy. Each time I would let her grow up to the light she looked better and better. So, I let her grow right up to it and the entire plant is vibrantly healthy. I just move them a click or two when the tips of the leaves reach the glass. Not one leave has turned white, brown, etc. Not to mention, the plant is flowering out of control.

If you don't have a recirculating dwc, then this height may not work for you.

I would start at the recommended height and then see what differences lower and higher make on your leaves.

We have relatively similar diodes at 3w and I would safely assume what advice advanced gives can also be used for similar lights. So, find what range your plants seem perkier and you're golden.

While it's great to consider all directions set forth, it's also a large part of growing anything to experiment and find what works best for your grow. No two plants want exactly the same parameters. It's important to experiment and learn your specific plant.

As stated above, 3w diodes don't create almost any heat. They are pretty safe and probably couldn't burn your plants if you tried. I will post pics of my leaves touching my glass pane over my diodes if you like.

We used to befriend every big girl in school, so we could get that wake 4' tall. Lololol those were the days!

Miss my sea ray so much. I used to wingman so much, haha. Thanks for reminding me.

Pics of your plant would be nice just for cause...lol. Something more to drool over while I wait for mine.

I don't doubt your info in the least bit and glad someone else has been down that road and has the experience to give good advice. And we certainly need to hear from the LED guys and gurls here.

I may lower to 12" over the weekend so that I can react just in case. Working class during the week.

Since tucking I gained about 3". I'm about 22" right now. I'll drop to 18" tonight. A few more every evening till the weekend.

Signs of heat stress are easy to see...up turned and curled leaves.

Renegade

Happy Saturday :)

I just did a res change this morning. It is day 42 since I switched the lights to 12/12. I have added GH Kool Bloom to my Nuts this morning.
for every 5 gal of water I use the following and adjust to ph of 5.8 and ppm of around 900.
20 ml Cal Mag
20 ml florablend
60 ml flora bloom
40ml flora micro
10 ml flora grow
10 ml of Aquashield
10 ml of Kool Bloom

Here are some pictures I just finished taking. Are the buds looking ok? Will they pop more out soon?

4-19-2014-5.jpg

4-19-2014-4.jpg

4-19-2014-3.jpg

4-19-2014-2.jpg

I just started 2 seeds of Acapulco Gold fem. They have popped up from the rockwool now, but one question I have one of the seeds that has popped up 2 stems and I have never seen this. Please advise .... here is the picture of the one Acapulco Gold.
4-19-2014-1.jpg

I am sure that only 1 seed was germinated in this rockwool.

Thanks all for all your help.

FTG....you did say day 42 since flipping to 12/12 right?

I'm interested to hear what the SME's have to say about that. Mine is at day 13 or 14 since flipping and 8 or 9 day since flowering and I have wide spread pistols (female). Even have back budding on the lower shoots.

I wasn't going to post any pictures till tomorrow but posting this pic I took at day 6 of flower.

My plant is no way near your height and it may be strain specific but I would thing yours should be covered with pistols by now.

Pic...

IMG_090519.JPG
IMG_090413.JPG

I'm out of the house right now but will check in with you late when I get back in.

Renegade

Happy Saturday :)

I just did a res change this morning. It is day 42 since I switched the lights to 12/12. I have added GH Kool Bloom to my Nuts this morning.
for every 5 gal of water I use the following and adjust to ph of 5.8 and ppm of around 900.
20 ml Cal Mag

20 ml florablend
60 ml flora bloom
40ml flora micro
10 ml flora grow
10 ml of Aquashield
10 ml of Kool Bloom

Here are some pictures I just finished taking. Are the buds looking ok? Will they pop more out soon?

4-19-2014-5.jpg

4-19-2014-4.jpg

4-19-2014-3.jpg

4-19-2014-2.jpg

I just started 2 seeds of Acapulco Gold fem. They have popped up from the rockwool now, but one question I have one of the seeds that has popped up 2 stems and I have never seen this. Please advise .... here is the picture of the one Acapulco Gold.
4-19-2014-1.jpg

I am sure that only 1 seed was germinated in this rockwool.

Thanks all for all your help.

Hi SavinPeace I have just found your journal and have to read up on things because 42 days of 12/12 is usually over half way through flower for my experience. In the pictures I can barely even see pistils yet and no room for any more stretching in your super nice set up I would dream of having. I just seen the last page and need to read through and catch up:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom