First Timer, Any Suggestions?

Re: Never heard of these worms

These are worms? Not caterpillars? What country and region are u in? Never heard of or seen a budworm. Please take pics of the damage (good macros). I know its painful to keep looking at unless u cut it out. Glad to hear ur making some progress. Keep us posted.

USA, Southern CA

Here is a picture of the damage on my strawberry cough, Sorry its not such a good one but its all I have for now.

bud_worm_damage.jpg

And here is a picture of the worm.
bud_worm.jpg

DIPEL: A B.T. that is as safe as can be for those little green worms, that bore and weeve into the buds. Apply DIPEL as suggested, I have used this for over 30 years when at times they get really infested, usually after rains they come in and on strong.
Do not buy or apply the liquid version of DIPEL. This version has a tendancy to loose potency and effects. It has little shelf life. The Dry powdered verision of DIPEL is best.

Specific to leaf eating caterpillars, Dipel Dust & Spray (Bt-kurstaki) is the natural choice for controlling gypsy moth, tent caterpillar, cabbage looper, tomato hornworm, leafroller and more. For use on vegetables, fruits, flowers, ornamentals and lawns. Biodegrades quickly and may require reapplication under heavy insect pressure. Harmless to humans, animals and beneficial insects. Dipel Dust treats 3,500 sq. ft. Not registered for sale in California.

DIPEL: A B.T. that is as safe as can be for those little green worms, that bore and weeve into the buds. Apply DIPEL as suggested, I have used this for over 30 years when at times they get really infested, usually after rains they come in and on strong.
Do not buy or apply the liquid version of DIPEL. This version has a tendancy to loose potency and effects. It has little shelf life. The Dry powdered verision of DIPEL is best.

Thanks so much cherma, unfortunately it looks like I can not get this in California. Darn government has to get there hand on everything and charge a pretty penny for it. The person at the hydro stored recommended AzaMax they said it was organic and would not affect the plants taste or potency. I hope that is the case. It is OMRI registered if that means anything. Anyway I hope it works with no negative affects on the plant or buds.

Just thought I would throw this out there its a bit pricey. $24.00 for 4 fl. oz.

What the company says about their selves..
AzaMax
Botanical Insecticide, Miticide, and Nematicide

AzaMax is a natural product with a broad spectrum of pest control and broad plant applications. AzaMax is made from special Azadirachtin Technical extracted using patented extraction technology from Neem, a tree known for it's innumerable benefits. AzaMax contains Azadirachtin A&B as active ingredients and more than 100 limonoids from it's special technology. The special feature of AzaMax is that it does not use hard chemical solvents and uses food grade formulation ingredients. AzaMax is licensed in all 50 states.

AzaMax is an antifeedant and insect growth regulator and controls pests through starvation and growth disruption. AzaMax effectively controls spider mites, thrips, fungus gnats, aphids, whiteflies, leaf miners, worms, beetles, leafhoppers, scales, mealy bugs, nematodes and other soil borne pests. Best of all, AzaMax can be applied up to the time or day of harvest. The product is exempted from residue tolerance, thus there is no harmful residue on veggies, fruits, herbs and flowers etc. Truly, AzaMax is a product of Nature in tune with Technology.

I foliar feed all my plants twice a week and have never had a problem, the plants love it and it's a guaranteed way to get the trace minerals to the plant rapidly. I've never had a plant get "sunburn". Not sure I buy the whole "droplet acts like a magnifying glass" argument. I've seen it happen on squash plants. If it is true, you would have a whole lot of sunburned plants in Hawaii where it rains and then immediately changes to hot sun.

I'm going to try and get a fan leaf to burn today. We have a couple days of intense sun coming up. I'll let you know. It may be that I'm too far north to cause any sort of burn. But I've also grown in the South where it is common to get a thundershower in the middle of a 90 degree day and no negative results.

the reason outdoor plants leafs do not burn is because there are not enough nutrients in rain water to burn plants. But when your indoor plants leafs get wet with nuted water you will most of the time get burns

the reason outdoor plants leafs do not burn is because there are not enough nutrients in rain water to burn plants. But when your indoor plants leafs get wet with nuted water you will most of the time get burns

Thats some good info, makes sense to me. Thanks for taking a look and you comments. + rep

hi mate just got back from my hols and caught up where youre upto i was advised a while back to stop using n in flower as it slows the buds down sorry don t know why but was wondering if your plant started to bud up more after you stopped using the N well done on your cloneing and all looking really well + reps mate keep up the good work............be lucky weedtastic

Its know problem Sonzor thanx for the rep

Anyway your grow is coming along nicely how many weeks have you been flowering

5 weeks for the papaya and 3 weeks on the Super Lemon Haze.

I wonder if the insects that eat our plants get high?

I was wondering the same thing. I hope not that have done nothing to deserve it.

hi mate just got back from my hols and caught up where youre upto i was advised a while back to stop using n in flower as it slows the buds down sorry don t know why but was wondering if your plant started to bud up more after you stopped using the N well done on your cloneing and all looking really well + reps mate keep up the good work............be lucky weedtastic

You know I am not sure. Most of the N the plants get come from the soil. I don't really start adding anything besides the Teas until flower so I am sure they still get some N even when flowering. I am not really sure how I can prevent that. and probably explains why I get some pretty leafy plants. Lots of manicuring. Anyway thanks so much for stopping in and your comments and the reps they are much appreciated..

Don't worry about those yellowing leaves sonzor. It's natural. I'm getting them on mine too.

Thanks, I'm not too worried about the yellowing leaves, unless of course it gets a lot worse. We are having some pretty hot weather and the plants are showing it 105 +
Great job.

Sonzor, sorry to hear of the bug infestation. I hope we don't get em this far north, I want to try an outdoor grow next spring. Keep up the great work bro.

Yes me too. I hope it all works out. Thanks for stopping in and your comments are always appreciated.

A little update.

Had to go to the east coast all last week. I went out and bought a bigger res so I would not have to worry about an empty res with dead plants when I got home. I filled it up and off I went. Came home and had a almost empty res and all the plants dead. It was over 105 degrees all week and I guess the plants really needed the water and slurped it all up. Sucks bad, but what are you going to do. I will have to clone a few more and start over. I will wait until the weather cools down. So as of now the fem. seed experiment is swimming with the fishes. A month or so and I will try again.

Outside plants are showing some heat stress also but at least they are still alive. Have not had a chance to take a close look at them yet but will do so today. I will keep my fingers crossed.

The Papaya2 has appox. 13 days left so if damage is too bad it will come down today and I will try to salvage whatever I can from it.

The Super Lemon haze has about 4 weeks to go so I will have to let that one go for a while and lets hope week get some cooler weather and it makes a full recover. We will see and I will give you all an update.. Good luck all and thanks for stopping in and your comments..

Ugly bug! Organic gardening sure ain't easy.

Sorry to hear about the res! Disaster is never far away with Hydro. Thank god I'm about to harvest most of my plants as I gotta spend most of the next month away...

Glad you have those outdoor girls.

Ugly bug! Organic gardening sure ain't easy.

Sorry to hear about the res! Disaster is never far away with Hydro. Thank god I'm about to harvest most of my plants as I gotta spend most of the next month away...

Glad you have those outdoor girls.

Glad I have the outdoors too and a lot sure can go wrong with the hydro. I will give it another try.. Thanks for your comment and stopping in..

Its good.U can still make hash or edibles though right? Thank god for ur outdoor man. Ur lucky u did both. Good luck with the outdoor.

Not sure I can do anything with what is left of the indoor but not too big of a deal. Thanks for you comments and stopping in...

Back
Top Bottom