Foxtailing

gr865

I am at day 60 of flower with approx. 10 days to go, and the plants are really putting on the weight. They are beginning to foxtail and the new stigmas are bright white and going strong.
My rez is 21 gallons and I get 6 days watering per rez. On the 7th day there is around 2 gallon in the rez and I add 3 gallons of RO which lowers the ppm to around 3 to 400 ppm, then do one minute cycles 5 minutes apart till the rez is empty. The next few days after doing the mini flush I get a burst of stigma growth on new pistils, as you can see in the pics. I do this mini flush with each weekly rez change and along with using the Less is More method of nute mix I am having no issues with leaf burn.
This current rez will be ready to do a harvest flush with this next rez change on Tuesday or Wed. and I will make a rez with RO water @ 125 ppm, my RO machine adds back a bit of Calcium and Mag for water flavor. I will run that ratio till harvest and I may need at least one more rez to complete this grow.

I have heard pros and cons on foxtailing, what are your thoughts?

These pics were taken yesterday and today.
20210206_210434 (2).jpg
20210206_210532 (2).jpg
20210207_085846 (2).jpg
20210207_085939 (2).jpg

Not sure what you mean by stigma (?)

Usually any problem with foxtails is -just appearance. But if it goes on for too long the buds can turn into a bunch of fluff. They act bit different when it comes to drying them properly, and tend to fall apart in the jar more easily I find.

I don't see any foxtailing in those photos at this point @gr865. When the calyx stack on top of each other rapidly and don't develop properly, they can be low in thc and don't cure right (hard and dry) that's an indication too much heat to light is causing excessive foxtailing. I dim my lights a bit at the end of flower to avoid stress.

The stigmas are the white hairs often imprecisely called pistils. Some plants will continue to push out new pistils to the very end. Note that pistils do not have thc so we are not that interested in them, only the ripeness of the trichs on the calyx bracts.

I don't see any foxtailing in those photos at this point @gr865. When the calyx stack on top of each other rapidly and don't develop properly, they can be low in thc and don't cure right (hard and dry) that's an indication too much heat to light is causing excessive foxtailing. I dim my lights a bit at the end of flower to avoid stress.

The stigmas are the white hairs commonly (somewhat imprecisely) called pistils in the cannabis community. Some plants will continue to push out new pistils to the very end. Note that pistils do not have thc so we are not that interested in them, only the ripeness of the trichs on the calyx bracts.

On most of my plants I get little bumps like that by late flower. I think it might be related to growing under HPS. If you are still using the CMH, gr865 it may be a similar cause and possibly also related to the heat they put out.

Certain strains I can tell they are going to foxtail even before they get to that point just from looking at them. Here is a link to one from @VetSmoke85 journal

Other times it’s just strictly genetic weirdness such as this Ethiopian I grew a couple years ago

As for it being ‘incorrect’ to call them pistils.... whatever....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom