Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

Scorpio, we're actually hoping we can find a way to let the low and slo dry replace much of the fresh harvest oil. I like having it all tucked away by the end of harvest day though, so I may continue making oil on harvest day and drying a portion of each harvest for smoking. I supply patients that enjoy vaping and smoking, as do I. I'll be hard pressed to give up my bong.
Ya lost me a bit SuperSue

U saying not doing fresh harvest but using low n slow buds to make oil like we used too? This is what I may do with the PK. Let it dry in fridge, then instead of cure in jars make some oil then, kinda a mix of old and new oil process

I am sold on the low n slo, I don't have any reg dried PK, but on the DDA And my other 3 autos, was no comparison...low n slo was Sooooooo much better and tastier

Ya lost me a bit SuperSue

U saying not doing fresh harvest but using low n slow buds to make oil like we used too? This is what I may do with the PK. Let it dry in fridge, then instead of cure in jars make some oil then, kinda a mix of old and new oil process

I am sold on the low n slo, I don't have any reg dried PK, but on the DDA And my other 3 autos, was no comparison...low n slo was Sooooooo much better and tastier

To retain the terps we worked so hard to keep it'd need to be a long steep at low temps, but yes, the hope is that a low temp brew with low and slo buds will give the same benefits of fresh harvest without the hassle.

Scorpio, we're actually hoping we can find a way to let the low and slo dry replace much of the fresh harvest oil.

I must go and visit your other threads, but if I could ask here, why you`d prefer to replace fresh for low and slow ?

I did keep the main colas from the 2 critical kush plants used in this 2nd cook , for smokin
2 main were 90g and 71g wet (divide x 4 to get dry weight)
= 23 and 18g dry

IMG_372212.JPG

I must go and visit your other threads, but if I could ask here, why you`d prefer to replace fresh for low and slow ?

I did keep the main colas from the 2 critical kush plants used in this 2nd cook , for smokin
2 main were 90g and 71g wet (divide x 4 to get dry weight)
= 23 and 18g dry

IMG_372212.JPG
Nice buds....look tasty

To retain the terps we worked so hard to keep it'd need to be a long steep at low temps, but yes, the hope is that a low temp brew with low and slo buds will give the same benefits of fresh harvest without the hassle.
So use low n slo buds, then do like u told me, in a jar in 170deg oven for 36hrs

I'm interested for sure cuz I can try it in a few days, or, can today with some of the low n slo CBDutch treat I'll be jaring when I get my lazy ass rolling

The fresh harvest is kinda a pain so am intreaged by this new process

Shall I be yer test dummy?????

I'm uncomfortable with the oil bath stage4, and if I could eliminate that part I would. With low and slow dried buds you retain almost all of the terpenes and flavonoids. To make oil with it and still keep all that goodness you'd need low enough temperatures to keep them intact.

I'm uncomfortable with the oil bath stage4, and if I could eliminate that part I would. With low and slow dried buds you retain almost all of the terpenes and flavonoids. To make oil with it an still keep all that goodness you'd need low enough temperatures to keep them intact.
I agree...oil was messy and a pain

So Sue, is that a yes on the 170deg oven process with the low n slo buds

U have me excited...I wanna bust out my mad scientist hat today.

I agree...oil was messy and a pain

So Sue, is that a yes on the 170deg oven process with the low n slo buds

U have me excited...I wanna bust out my mad scientist hat today.

I use 170 because that's my lowest setting. If your oven goes lower then do so. I'd go a full 36 hours with a good shake as often as you remember.

I use 170 because that's my lowest setting. If your oven goes lower then do so. I'd go a full 36 hours with a good shake as often as you remember.

Ok all started and Rocking:thumb:

Took 15gr of Low n Slo CBDutch Treat. Its pretty dry, was ready to go into a jar to cure, been in fridge since 7/6, so should be pretty good and minimal water in the buds.

This Batch I used Grape Seed Oil, I like it better than Olive I think for Capsules, I used 1c of Oil

I used my immersion blender in the Mason Jar with the oil to chop it up, so any Terps and such will be in the oil. Large mouth Mason Jars are sweet:bravo:

I have a double Oven, lower is old fashioned dial, it was at around 210deg, Upper is digital and lowest setting is 170deg. The Digital one showed about 177ish with my digital turkey thermometer. My issue with the digital has been shutting off after a few hours, even with a timer on. So gunna test it today to see when it shuts off, without timer on and with. Need it to stay on all night, so worst case ill put it in lower one over night

Rock and Freakin Roll

PS....
This is how I did my 1st two batches of oil, seemed to work well. Last Batch was Fresh, so this is only my 4th batch of oil

Ok all started and Rocking:thumb:

Took 15gr of Low n Slo CBDutch Treat. Its pretty dry, was ready to go into a jar to cure, been in fridge since 7/6, so should be pretty good and minimal water in the buds.

This Batch I used Grape Seed Oil, I like it better than Olive I think for Capsules, I used 1c of Oil

I used my immersion blender in the Mason Jar with the oil to chop it up, so any Terps and such will be in the oil. Large mouth Mason Jars are sweet:bravo:

I have a double Oven, lower is old fashioned dial, it was at around 210deg, Upper is digital and lowest setting is 170deg. The Digital one showed about 177ish with my digital turkey thermometer. My issue with the digital has been shutting off after a few hours, even with a timer on. So gunna test it today to see when it shuts off, without timer on and with. Need it to stay on all night, so worst case ill put it in lower one over night

Rock and Freakin Roll

PS....
This is how I did my 1st two batches of oil, seemed to work well. Last Batch was Fresh, so this is only my 4th batch of oil

See how fast you caught on? :high-five: It's addictive, isn't it? Lol! You can turn the oven off at night if need be, and start it again the next morning. It won't hurt anything. It's heat and agitation together that do the job, and it's a fluid and flexible process. This is my favorite way to make an infused oil. The fresh harvest infused is much more work, but so worth it, for both potency and the fact that it's all wrapped up and done when you go to bed. :battingeyelashes:

See how fast you caught on? :high-five: It's addictive, isn't it? Lol! You can turn the oven off at night if need be, and start it again the next morning. It won't hurt anything. It's heat and agitation together that do the job, and it's a fluid and flexible process. This is my favorite way to make an infused oil. The fresh harvest infused is much more work, but so worth it, for both potency and the fact that it's all wrapped up and done when you go to bed. :battingeyelashes:

Well this is the 1st Low n Slo, partialy Fresh Oil

Am excited to test it out, took a Fresh Dutch Oil a while ago, its a nice easy high, can tell its a higher CBD plant, But like the buzz and seems to help the old Bones and Pain as well

So ill see how the New stuff does in a few days

Hmmmm..... We may have stumbled onto a clue. From now on I'll hold off on the lecithin until the oil is strained.

Good luck with the harvest Scorpio. Starting to feel like a natural event, isn't it? :laughtwo: It doesn't take long. I prefer one every other week myself.

Ooooo...... Have you smoked any of the PK dried conventionally, so you have a point of reference? You're gonna be surprised. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hi Sue! So why will you hold off on the lecithin? I've made two batches now and I added lecithin as soon as the temp of my mash got to 200. It immediately foams and the foam continues until most all the moisture is expelled. Once foaming stops, it not long until it's done.

I believe the lecithin encapsulates the other oils and allows the water vapor to efficiently escape, thus the foaming. I think this is key, as without lecithin, would it not take much longer for water from fresh bud to evaporate, meaning longer cook or higher temps to get done resulting in more loss of terpenes?

I'm SO sold on fresh harvest. All that time standing at the stove observing and considering what's happening. I do believe it extracts a higher percentage of cannabinoids and those precious terpenes.

Hi Sue! So why will you hold off on the lecithin? I've made two batches now and I added lecithin as soon as the temp of my mash got to 200. It immediately foams and the foam continues until most all the moisture is expelled. Once foaming stops, it not long until it's done.

I believe the lecithin encapsulates the other oils and allows the water vapor to efficiently escape, thus the foaming. I think this is key, as without lecithin, would it not take much longer for water from fresh bud to evaporate, meaning longer cook or higher temps to get done resulting in more loss of terpenes?

I'm SO sold on fresh harvest. All that time standing at the stove observing and considering what's happening. I do believe it extracts a higher percentage of cannabinoids and those precious terpenes.

This is a good point Randy. God, I love brainstorming! I keep forgetting to put it up for discussion before I make up my mind. Lol! You guys keep coming to my rescue. :battingeyelashes:

Ok..... that makes sense about the lecithin. I've added it at the beginning, in the middle of the process, and at the end, trying, like you, to make sense out of what's going on. Our goal is maximum pull and minimal loss of the terpenes. I'm warming up to Oldbear's method of straining it by gravity alone and then eating a small daily dose of the mash. You'll get a cleaner oil that way, and there won't be any need to try to get every drop out. You'll eat every drop. I could add it to brownies. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Randy, how long after foaming do you calculate it's taking yours to finish?

Appears to me that soon after the foaming stops, it is pretty much done. I think it's important to bring it up to temp as early in process as possible to allow sufficient time for decarb. In fact, I will likely shoot for 240 plus, adding the lecithin about the time it hits 230. That way there is some decarbing leading up to that temp, there's about a half hour in the 240 range while foaming, and about 15-20 minutes after. My second batch was close to this and it took two hours start to finish. My first batch I eased the temp up and it took almost three. I don't think anything is saved by heating slowly and likely the longer it's on the heat, the more terpenes lost. It's about water removal and decarb for us. The EVOO is taking care of its job.

Important that one of the first things we figure out when first starting out is the rate of heat transfer from oil to mixing bowl or pan. I used a stainless mixing bowl. It's thin so heat transfers readily. The first half of process the plant material tended to lag 30 degrees behind the canola oil. Later, as the foaming began to dissipate, the plant material temp began to edge upward toward oil temp as there was less water vapor carrying away heat. This is when I started tweaking the stove temp down and the oily mushy goodness seemed to want to hang at 220-230 and that's where it staying till I shut er down.

I'm confident it was well decarbed. The time could be reeled in just a bit I think... maybe 1:45. There's a sweet spot between terpenes and decarb. We just have to go with our gut as far as where that is.

I'm happy with pulling all oil from plant material. I put it in a glass baking pan and got as much as possible by gravity. I then wrapped cheese clothe around it and tied up a couple balls. I steeped them in boiling temp water, tamped them in the pot numerous times, and then allowed to cool enough to put the squeeze on em. I put this mixture in the fridge overnight. The next morning there was a somewhat firm sludge on top that came out with little effort. This sludge I put in tall skinny shot glasses(test tubes would work great) and set them in a one of hot was to simmer. In about a half an hour the shot glasses were half or more deep with black gold oil! I sucked it up with a large oral dropper and came up with 80 ml of oil. There was no discernible difference between the two oils.

What an amazingly balanced effect I get from this oil. Puts me in a peaceful place... both mind and body in a relaxed state. Love it!

Thank you for all that attention to the process Randy. I'll have to clock the decarb time with my next batch more closely.

I agree with you about the effect. It's almost a cleaner feeling, know what I mean? It really feels like my body uses it more efficiently. It's become my base buzz. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Question: I've seen the reference to "170" for the low n slow. My oven has a "keep warm" feature preset to 170 and 140. Would 140°F work just as well? Better?

I wish mine got that low Mike. Run with it. It'll work better, IMO. At 170 degrees I may be better advised to go with 24 hours, but I've always done the 36 hours. At 140 degrees I'd definately go the 36 hours. Shake frequently. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Question: I've seen the reference to "170" for the low n slow. My oven has a "keep warm" feature preset to 170 and 140. Would 140°F work just as well? Better?
170 is as low as mine goes, Sue too I think
I think 140 is also good ..but sure Sue will chime in also

Oiler thoughts

(deleted content)

* There's got to be a better way to get the oil and water seperated in the reclaimation process. Either that or I need to learn to skim better. It's not a culinary skill I developed. I bet there's a video or two out there I could watch. :battingeyelashes: I'd like to find a glass measuring cup that lets you pour the water out. I've only come across plastic ones, and I'm not much interested in plastic for this job. I'll promise myself to look around. I haven't looked online.

Hi SweetSue,
I think I have an answer for you... back in University chemistry class we used this pear shaped glassware for separating water or solvents, from oils... called a Separating Funnel.

You can get them on my favorite on-line shopping place with Prime shipping! Just search for:

500ml Separating Funnel - pear shaped - Eisco Labs Borosilicate Glass

They are not cheap... $42.22. This one holds 2 Cups (500ml), but you can get them at 1000ml or larger, too.

I'd also get the stand that holds the sep funnel. It has two rings attached to the stand pole to hold the funnel, just scroll down to see it in the "Frequently Bought Together" items. It's just nice not to have to hold the funnel, and not disturb the separated water and oil while you open the stopcock at the bottom to drain out the oil.

Hope this helps!

I love adventures...
Dory

When I did a search for the boiling point of lecithin I found that most MSDS forms do not report it.

Apparently not all forms of lecithin are the same. Most of the reports were for Soy. I found one that had it boiling in a range of 110-160c (230-320f) and a reference to being unstable around 56c. This was probably not for sunflower lecithin. If sunflower lecithin is on the low end of the boiling range, the foaming action could be the lecithin or something in the lecithin boiling off. That would have to degrade or change it in some way. OTOH it is used in baking.

Without a better understanding of the properties of lecithin, I am inclined to believe that not adding it until your oil has cooled down to around 130f could be a better point to add it.

I never know

Back
Top Bottom