Gangalicious Experimental Med Grow Lab - Part 3A - Flowering a Plant with 2 x 90W LED

Re: Gangalicious Experimental Med Grow Lab, Part 3a: flowering a plant with 2 X 90W L

Day 13

JJ is looking fuller than ever! Like the shots of the lights-very dramatic! Where would the ganja illustration fall on this graph? Just say'n? This is so :ganjamon: SMOKIN!:peace:

Hey palcah. Yeah, JJ is growing like weed. The babies grow up so fast, don't they? Nearly 22 inches tall today. I think the stretching should slow down significantly in the next 3-5 days, but she'll continue until around day 21 if previous grows are any indication. Then, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say JJs gonna get crazy!

The ganja illustration? Oh, you must be referring to the graph I used in another post. Well, um, I think I smoked those "learning aids." Oops!

:peace:

woohoo...i'm a little late to the party, but i'm here!

Awesome! Nice to have you along quag. And you're not too late, the party is about to get started . . . :ganjamon:

Re: Gangalicious Experimental Med Grow Lab, Part 3a: flowering a plant with 2 X 90W L

Day 14 Pic update:

day014_may16_008.JPG

day014_may16_010.JPG

day014_may16_009.JPG

day014_may16_011.JPG

day014_may16_012.JPG

day014_may16_013.JPG

day014_may16_014.JPG

Day 16 Mini-Update:

These pics are from yesterday, day 16:
day016_007.jpg

day016_011.JPG

day016_017.jpg

day016_022.jpg

For comparison, this is from one of my cfl grows, also day 16:
day016_022_cfl_day_16.JPG

Thanks for watching!

Day 21

Vertical growth has been slowing over the last couple of days and the pistils are starting to kick. Sometime within the next week there should be some nice trichome production too. I'm excited because this strain likes to get super frosty.

I lined some of the walls with mylar to increase efficiency:
Day021_0051.jpg

Day021_0071.jpg

Day021_0101.jpg

Day021_011.jpg

Day021_015.jpg

Looking good i see you have a green thumb.Reading parts of your grow has given me some pointers for confined space:}....I am really interested on seeing how these lights perform.I also purchased 2 of these lights and i am checking them out.Hope to see you finish this grow with the leds really looking forward to it?This will change my view of things.........maybe:]

Looking good i see you have a green thumb.Reading parts of your grow has given me some pointers for confined space:}....I am really interested on seeing how these lights perform.I also purchased 2 of these lights and i am checking them out.Hope to see you finish this grow with the leds really looking forward to it?This will change my view of things.........maybe:]

Green thumb, eh? Dro Jo also suggested that I've got a "grape thumb" (the strain is called grape ice) and then he fell to the floor laughing hysterically, at least by the looks of the little smiley icon he posted. Anyway, thanks for the compliment, but my green and grape thumbs can only take so much credit; the community here on 420 is awesome and is the source of all my powers. Oh crap, I've said too much!

At this time, the grow is going ahead as planned and I'll likely finish with the leds. I had already decided to go at least to day 40 with these lights unless JJ stops progressing or if anything else goes awry, but I don't anticipate either to be the case. She did, however, seem to take her sweet time switching over from stretching mode to budding mode. i'll post the update tonight so you can see the new progress.

If you only use these ufos, then your plants might stretch like mad when you switch to 12/12. Maybe consider adding CFLs, lots of them. It'll help yield for sure and possibly dampen the stretching too. Idk. Actually, it'd be cool to see the difference between plants grown with just these ufos and plants grown with the ufos plus additional cfl lighting.

Thanks for stopping in and you gotta let me know what you decide to do. K?

Great setup! And super-healthy plants! Awesome!

+Reps

:cheer::cool:

Hey, thanks again Papa Green! JJ does seem healthy under these lights tho, even if she got a little sassy and leggy in the stretch phase. She's finally calmed down a bit and started to fire up the trichome production too.

Oh, yeah, that rabbit pic is trippin me out man. Is that Harvey?

Day 28

:welcome:

Today she's 25-26" tall from the soil to her tops. She started day 0 at 12-13"

I've gradually been trimming away all the lower bud sites and anything else not receiving light down below. Many of the lower leaves were ready to come off on their own anyway. I left lower healthy fan leaves alone because they weren't blocking any buds and they must have been soaking up at least some good light. I also removed a couple of carefully selected branches to open her up a bit to more light penetration through the canopy. It was just way too tight in there. The good news is that she seems to be responding well to the new legroom.

I am also happy to report that her branches are firming up and expanding a little and her rate of flowering and trich production seems to be gradually increasing too. I can't wait to see how she does when she finally settles into her more serious budding stages in a few weeks!
JJ_Day028_03.jpg

JJ_Day028_10.jpg

JJ_Day028_13.JPG

JJ_Day028_17.jpg

JJ_Day028_16.jpg

JJ_Day028_25.jpg

Great Job man very healthy looking plant. I have the same UFO's I also have another brand in with them. They are working great for me except that I noticed something about the lights. Two of my plants started to lean and grow towards the red spec. of the light. You can check it out on my journal. Just click on my sig. again great job man.
:goodluck:

Hey cheese, I'm already following your thread! Thanks for stopping by.

Just checkin' up and they're lookin' real good. I'm beginning to think that the stretching has some correlation with the increased amount of blue/white leds. +reps and may the ganja deity bless your buds for an awesome harvest.

Green thumb, eh? Dro Jo also suggested that I've got a "grape thumb" (the strain is called grape ice) and then he fell to the floor laughing hysterically, at least by the looks of the little smiley icon he posted. Anyway, thanks for the compliment, but my green and grape thumbs can only take so much credit; the community here on 420 is awesome and is the source of all my powers. Oh crap, I've said too much!

At this time, the grow is going ahead as planned and I'll likely finish with the leds. I had already decided to go at least to day 40 with these lights unless JJ stops progressing or if anything else goes awry, but I don't anticipate either to be the case. She did, however, seem to take her sweet time switching over from stretching mode to budding mode. i'll post the update tonight so you can see the new progress.

If you only use these ufos, then your plants might stretch like mad when you switch to 12/12. Maybe consider adding CFLs, lots of them. It'll help yield for sure and possibly dampen the stretching too. Idk. Actually, it'd be cool to see the difference between plants grown with just these ufos and plants grown with the ufos plus additional cfl lighting.

Thanks for stopping in and you gotta let me know what you decide to do. K?

Hey, thanks again Papa Green! JJ does seem healthy under these lights tho, even if she got a little sassy and leggy in the stretch phase. She's finally calmed down a bit and started to fire up the trichome production too.

Oh, yeah, that rabbit pic is trippin me out man. Is that Harvey?

I brought in one of my purple widows from out side to bud her out.So she is pretty much done growing.But yes i did add a couple t5 24 watt flower along with the ufo on each side of a 2x4x5.5ft mylar tent.So far got some popcorn but the nodes are so close togeather the plant is just full of them.I half to say its really healthy purply and glisteny but its slow going.I went ahead and ordered a 250-400 dimmable lumitec with cool light tube i may add that in there and time it to come on a few hrs a day to give it a little kick and save as much as i can on elec.But i do know one thing is those lights have 90 day trial.They have another 190 watt pannel that would fit perfect in your grow hub.The 190 watt has same spectrum but is interlaced with 1 and 3 watt chipsets.The guy told me the 3 watt diodes were in the red spec and all you would half to do is trade your 2 for that one if your 90 watts dont work out for you.I think i may do that with mine and maybe find another on ebay and get a lucky bid if i can.

You're journals struck an interest because i've used 4 4' 54w t5 HO for veg and LED for flower. If there's too much blue in a concentrated area it could cause stretching in flowering (being the shortest wavelength).

I'm beginning to think that the stretching has some correlation with the increased amount of blue/white leds. may the ganja deity bless your buds for an awesome harvest.

Hey Krhyme, thanks for stopping in again. What type of leds have you flowered with and what kind of results have you gotten? Also, how are you liking the t5s? They're working great for veg, right? So far, my t5 flowering trial is going great and I'm about to harvest in another week or so. Not massive buds or anything, but definitely better than I expected.

I've noticed you and others are observing some correlation with the white LEDs and stretching. This is definitely a valid observation, but based on everything I've read up to this point, I have to argue that this relationship is just that: a correlation, and not the true cause of the stretching.

Here is what I found after a few minutes on google:

"In addition, aspects of plant growth like height, leaf size, and flowering, are controlled by some types of blue light and particularly by the relative levels of red and far red light."

"Sunlight is high in the blue spectrum which would offset any stretching caused by HPS bulbs."

"The red bands of light seem to encourage stem growth which is not desirable in growing marijuana."

"The common incandescent light bulb emits some of the frequencies of light the cannabis plant can use, but it also emits a high percentage of far red and infra-red light which cause the cannabis plant to concentrate its growth on the stem. This results in the cannabis plant stretching toward the light bulb until it becomes so tall and spindly that it just weakly topples over."

My understanding is that plants like the "blue" wavelengths for vegetative state and this tends to produce lush vegetation/foliage and growth, but I just haven't seen any hard evidence that the blue wavelengths promote stretching specifically. Also, I thought that too much blue light during during flowering might hinder budding by directing too much energy toward vegetative growth (leafiness), and that this will tend to produce leafy foliage, but not "stretched" branches or increased internodal spacing per se.

Also to consider: there is only one "blue" led on each of these ufos and it's at 380nm. The rest of the blue wavelengths are supplied by the white leds. If you look at the spectral power distribution for the white leds (see post #19), you will see that, yes, while they do have peaks in the blue ranges, they also have a lot of energy emitted in the longer wavelengths. Math and science jerks like me call that type of graph a "bimodal distribution." For example, note the curve for the the 3700K-5000K white leds. There is a peak at around 450nm but then there's another maximum at around 575mn. Which is the bigger "mountain', the 450nm peak? or the 575nm peak? If you examine what is called "area under the curve" (AUC), then you can see that there is far more total energy being emitted in the longer wavelengths relative to the "blue" wavelengths. So, my argument is that these particular leds are not producing too much "blue" light relative to the amount of all the other light and that, therefore, blue wavelengths are not responsible for the stretching Jibba Jabba experienced. I think the stretching in these units (and others like them) is more likely due to:

1 - too much red relative to the other wavelengths, and/or an unbalanced ratio of 630/660/730, red to far red

AND

2 - lack of intensity

Also: you might wanna go visit the journal by TheCheese. He has two of the same UFOs as me. He made a very, very interesting observation. He has posted pictures showing his plants stretching toward the RED side of the units, not the white.

Anyway, these are just my ideas and observations, and I'm not trying to discount your ideas in any way. I really appreciate your comments and taking the time to give me your thoughts. Lemme know what you think.

Also, just because these UFOs may not be optimally designed for the "stretch phase," they may do great during the later stages, which is when this strain starts to fire up anyway. I'm still very excited. I chose these particular UFOs for a good reason, and the reason had nothing to do with the stretching phase. Let's see what happens. Yes, may the ganja deity bless these buds for an awesome harvest!

Just checkin' up and they're lookin' real good. I'm beginning to think that the stretching has some correlation with the increased amount of blue/white leds. +reps and may the ganja deity bless your buds for an awesome harvest.

Oh wait a sec! Did you seriously just beckon the ganja deity to bless my buds? Thanks Krhyme! But now, if JJ grows awesome buds, then how am I gonna know if it's due to the lights or the influence of the deity?

I may have to restart this experiment.

I brought in one of my purple widows from out side to bud her out.So she is pretty much done growing.But yes i did add a couple t5 24 watt flower along with the ufo on each side of a 2x4x5.5ft mylar tent.So far got some popcorn but the nodes are so close togeather the plant is just full of them.I half to say its really healthy purply and glisteny but its slow going.I went ahead and ordered a 250-400 dimmable lumitec with cool light tube i may add that in there and time it to come on a few hrs a day to give it a little kick and save as much as i can on elec.But i do know one thing is those lights have 90 day trial.They have another 190 watt pannel that would fit perfect in your grow hub.The 190 watt has same spectrum but is interlaced with 1 and 3 watt chipsets.The guy told me the 3 watt diodes were in the red spec and all you would half to do is trade your 2 for that one if your 90 watts dont work out for you.I think i may do that with mine and maybe find another on ebay and get a lucky bid if i can.

So, lemme see. You've got two of the UFOs, a couple of t5s for side lighting, and then you're about to add a HPS cool tube which will run for a few hours a day? Yeah, it's gonna be awesome. How far are you into flowering? Did you begin the flowering with the added t5s? I've also noticed that initial flowering has been slow going, but she seems to be picking up a bit of steam now that she's over her stretch frenzy.

What? The new units are available?

So, lemme see. You've got two of the UFOs, a couple of t5s for side lighting, and then you're about to add a HPS cool tube which will run for a few hours a day? Yeah, it's gonna be awesome. How far are you into flowering? Did you begin the flowering with the added t5s? I've also noticed that initial flowering has been slow going, but she seems to be picking up a bit of steam now that she's over her stretch frenzy.

What? The new units are available?
I am realy not possitive on how long they have been under the ufo.I would guess about a little over a month.The purple widow is an early flower they started to bud outside then brought one in to test the lights.She still has a long way to go?I have t5 bloom on top with the 2 ufo about 9 inches on each side shining threw the t5.I have noticed a possitive result by adding the cfl but so far i feel the intensity is not enouph.I am working on trading the 2 90 watts for a 190 watt with the 1-3 watt diodes.I think the added hps with quality flower bulb will help out a lot in late to mid flower for a better yeild.So far i am realy impressed with the quality of the plants after they have been under the led.

I am realy not possitive on how long they have been under the ufo.I would guess about a little over a month.The purple widow is an early flower they started to bud outside then brought one in to test the lights.She still has a long way to go?I have t5 bloom on top with the 2 ufo about 9 inches on each side shining threw the t5.I have noticed a possitive result by adding the cfl but so far i feel the intensity is not enouph.I am working on trading the 2 90 watts for a 190 watt with the 1-3 watt diodes.I think the added hps with quality flower bulb will help out a lot in late to mid flower for a better yeild.So far i am realy impressed with the quality of the plants after they have been under the led.
I have an update on some of the new lights he has out.In a few weeks there comming out with a 250 watt that replaces all the diodes in the 190 watt to a full 3 watt chipset.And he also has some plasma induction lights that you might find interesting.

I have an update on some of the new lights he has out.In a few weeks there comming out with a 250 watt that replaces all the diodes in the 190 watt to a full 3 watt chipset.And he also has some plasma induction lights that you might find interesting.

Yeah, the additional HPS should take your yield to another level.

I'm also impressed with how happy Jibba Jabba has been under these lights.

Yes, he did offer to exchange the lights for the 190-watter, but I'm going to continue with the current leds for the rest of the grow and then use them later for some other experiments (possibly) and for supplemental lighting. If I were you then I'd probably go ahead and swap them out if you can, since the 190 watt unit has the 1W/3W mixed design and should perform better for you. I, on the other hand, am on a mission to see what happens with these lights. Dunno bout plasma induction tho. I'll have to check it out along with the 250 watt unit.

Back
Top Bottom