Germination issues

I don't mess with paper towels or anything else.
Soak seeds for about 8 hours. Place seeds about 1/4" deep into soil that has previously been completely drenched. Water in lightly to make sure there is good soil-to-seed contact. Wait 3-4 days and you have plants.

Welcome to :420: bud.

Ye loads of crazy growing MJ stuff to rifle through ah & not all of it makes sense i must admit, ya work on that & what is right or wrong in time !

Basically germination works on moisture & ideal temp !

A seed needs to absorb some 300% of its on weight in moisture before germination on average from my own education this why we may see some growers soak seeds before hand with others using paper towel method or even direct sowing into a suitable growing medium etc

Kept damped but not saturated with water.

Ideal temperature is another issue best between 20c to 25c / 68f to 77f some slight variation tho from sources etc but with in a a few points etc.

This is either achieved by a heated propagator or under cfl / T5 etc tubes 6500K blue light spectrum on timer... what ever schedule ya want to run on cycle i'm not fussed.

Lower temp prolongs seed germination...

For some reason i don't use paper towel as it does not work out in my style of growing, well ye it just me or what ever works for you at the end of day !

I use peat/coir pucks like these...

PICT000370.JPG
PICT000371.JPG
PICT000175.JPG
PICT000372.JPG

That was done under a cfl & took about 7 days other same seed a day or 2 later, had better results with some strains tho it is one of those things, i don't record temps tho in the seed/veg tent for some reason but above 20c 90% of the time running 16/8 light cycle & lights on much higher temp rise not sure about RH/humidity either but above 50%.

Done some seeds on the widow ledge took about 14 days.

Mmm so moisture & temp is a key thing here... if one strain pops in 3 days it doesn't mean all else will either ya catch my drifted :thumb:

Welcome to :420: bud.

Ye loads of crazy growing MJ stuff to rifle through ah & not all of it makes sense i must admit, ya work on that & what is right or wrong in time !

Basically germination works on moisture & ideal temp !

A seed needs to absorb some 300% of its on weight in moisture before germination on average from my own education this why we may see some growers soak seeds before hand with others using paper towel method or even direct sowing into a suitable growing medium etc

Kept damped but not saturated with water.

Ideal temperature is another issue best between 20c to 25c / 68f to 77f some slight variation tho from sources etc but with in a a few points etc.

This is either achieved by a heated propagator or under cfl / T5 etc tubes 6500K blue light spectrum on timer... what ever schedule ya want to run on cycle i'm not fussed.

Lower temp prolongs seed germination...

For some reason i don't use paper towel as it does not work out in my style of growing, well ye it just me or what ever works for you at the end of day !

I use peat/coir pucks like these...

PICT000370.JPG
PICT000371.JPG
PICT000175.JPG
PICT000372.JPG

That was done under a cfl & took about 7 days other same seed a day or 2 later, had better results with some strains tho it is one of those things, i don't record temps tho in the seed/veg tent for some reason but above 20c 90% of the time running 16/8 light cycle & lights on much higher temp rise not sure about RH/humidity either but above 50%.

Done some seeds on the widow ledge took about 14 days.

Mmm so moisture & temp is a key thing here... if one strain pops in 3 days it doesn't mean all else will either ya catch my drifted :thumb:

I never used these, but it looks sweet! I would like to test them, but I am kinda worried. Wouldn't it slow down the roots development? I mean they gotta penetrate the white net (or whatever that is, not quite sure) or is soft material, paper like and easy to penetrate?

I never used these, but it looks sweet! I would like to test them, but I am kinda worried. Wouldn't it slow down the roots development? I mean they gotta penetrate the white net (or whatever that is, not quite sure) or is soft material, paper like and easy to penetrate?

Some peeps call them pucks where i'm from they are known as jiffy pellets mostly either peat or coir based about 1 inch wide & 1 1/2 deep, the white material is like a papery fabric which the roots easy grow through.

It won't slow any thing down.

Those ones above where potted up after only a few days of sprouting in to a smaller pot as i find it better to keep things moist longer with out having to check daily etc you can wait in till roots show if you like.

If conditions are good 2 to 3 weeks later in those 2 inch by 2 inch pots i'm ready for final pot size with good root development.

I don't see an advantage to using anything other than a grow medium.
Plants are most vulnerable at germination. The seed knows what to do so why not let it? Add "dirt" and water. In a few days you have healthy seedlings that don't need anything for at least a couple of weeks. The plants get established w/o moving or other manipulation.

I think those peat/coir pucks are pretty good for autos if you're planing to use nutrients rich soil (like I do), as Duck said you can hold them for 2-3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks an autoflower plant would be ready to get into a nutrition rich soil, whilst putting her in such soil since beggining is quite risky. Also transplanting is not an option as well due to stress. I'm glad I found about these, I will love them!

I think those peat/coir pucks are pretty good for autos if you're planing to use nutrients rich soil (like I do), as Duck said you can hold them for 2-3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks an autoflower plant would be ready to get into a nutrition rich soil, whilst putting her in such soil since beggining is quite risky. Also transplanting is not an option as well due to stress. I'm glad I found about these, I will love them!

I put the "hot mix" down lower in the pot. Plants seem to be OK with it after a couple of weeks of growing through the no-nute' stuff. If I knew I would cull some, I could see using pucks.

Are you growing autos? How much of "hot mix" do you put in? 50% / 50% ? I've never done that seems like a good idea

No - only with photos, but I figured they would act the same.

I now prefer to just put plain potting mix in a solo cup and put amended soil in the pot I transplant into. I did a "hotter mix" at the bottom for this year's outdoor grow but even the top had amendment in it - just not as much.

I do have a couple of auto seeds now (first time). My transplants seem so painless to the plants, I'm thinking I will up-pot once. My plan is to start like usual in cups, but instead of moving them to 1 gal, then 7 gal, I'll move them once at about week 2 or 3, into their final home. I've seen autos transplanted and topped so it seems like it would be OK. If I start in a large pot, I'll go with a 7 gal pot and go about 50/50 with unamended/amended soil.

Back
Top Bottom