Girl Scout Cookies By Homer Simpson

A little bit of a mixed bag of results when checking my seeds this morning after 72 hours since dropping in water. Going right from left the first seed which only cracked yesterday has some impressive growth overnight which gives me hope for the rest. I am a little concerned that the middle three grew so little since cracking but hopefully they will take off like number one soon. These things do seem a little slow off the mark but as I always say every strain is different so hopefully they will all pick up soon.

IMG_7678.JPG

IMG_76g78.jpg

I found this pic I posted a while back of a seed on days 1-2 and three of germination and the one on the left of my current GSC seems about on par with it and the middle three seem about a day behind so I guess they aren't doing that badly. I feel I'm not out of the woods yet but I feel more confident than yesterday.

21.jpg

:ciao:

Cool line up pic! I numbered my 6 GSC by tap root progression. I did take a seeds that had barely cracked (#5) and put it a root riot plug. The others I put in soil. The root riot seedling was put in soil after a few days as the roots grew out that fast. It’s now my 2nd largest seedling/early veg at day 17. My #6 is still a runt. Hope your’s will take off soon!

Cool line up pic! I numbered my 6 GSC by tap root progression. I did take a seeds that had barely cracked (#5) and put it a root riot plug. The others I put in soil. The root riot seedling was put in soil after a few days as the roots grew out that fast. It’s now my 2nd largest seedling/early veg at day 17. My #6 is still a runt. Hope your’s will take off soon!

Forest’s mom certainly was right, growing cannabis is like a box of chocolates as you never know what you’re gonna get. So I find it interesting your laggard seed is now your second-largest but not that surprising. The second seed in my lineup is about 50% larger than all the other seeds and it cracked first but after cracking has hardly grown at all so you never know. Thanks, Websissy.

I was thinking of numbering mine also once I plant them so I know which seed they came from. :thumb:

Hmmmm...

A former member, who shall not be named, told me that the most sedating strain he had ever tried was Bubba/P 98 so I tried, and tried, and tried to grow some of those seeds and although I had two shipments with several different varieties after trying to grow about 15 of them I only got one plant to come to maturity that was so devoid of flowers and resin I didn't even bother harvesting it.

It was truly perplexing to me that everyone loves and touts those strains but I'm the only person who can't seem to grow them although I seem to be able to grow every other strain. And after looking at how several other comparator's seeds have germinated compared to mine I fear GSC may replace P 98 as my new Nemesis. :eek:

Everybody is talking about how @Weed Seeds Express GSC seeds are so vigorous sprouting quickly which their journals certainly bear out and here I am doing what I always do with my seeds which is usually pretty successful and mine seem like duds in comparison? Does anyone at @Weed Seeds Express have any idea what my problem is or comments? I am wondering if some of the seeds from this strain start out slow but then kick in later? I admit to being pretty lost as how to proceed? Maybe I will start some from the second pack I haven't opened yet hoping they are more vigourous?

The pace of my seeds growth is kind of a conundrum because the whole point of this comparison grow is to compare various growing styles but if I am starting off with seeds that are germinating at about one quarter the speed of everyone else's it isn't going to tell me very much.

To illustrate my point, this is a comparison of the growth that HashGirl had after 72 hours, which seems to be the norm, compared to the growth I have had in the same time period.

IMG_7g6g78.jpg

Any thoughts welcome...
I guess I will just wait a few days to see if they kick in and go with the flow... :meditate:

For now... :nerd-with-glasses:

Just stick em in some potting soil ,,,job done mate
:blunt:

Just stick em in some potting soil ,,,job done mate
:blunt:

Hey mate. I will probably plant the one with the longest tap root tomorrow and I would take your sage advice if this were an ordinary grow but since this is a comparative grow and I'm already a month behind half the people I don't want to waste time with these things hidden under soil wondering what they are doing so I'm gonna watch the others for a bit.

Cheers. :)

Yeah, but what other variables are at play? Temperature, humidity, water quality, growing zone, etc. I think there are too many individual variables to get a good answer.

Point well taken and I won't bore you with my variables but what I find relevant is that I have a pretty standard germinating method that generally works most of the time so what concerns me is that the few times I have had seeds that cracked and started a small taproot and then went dormant like most of these, I don't think any survived. :oops:

Like I keep saying though, every strain I find is full of surprises and chucking them in the soil might be the answer and they might do just fine or they might be zombies going into a coma. That's the thing about growing that keeps it interesting; it's constantly changing with ups and downs, it has been a much appreciated source of entertainment for me during this pandemic. :nerd-with-glasses:

I have already explained once why I didn't just throw my seeds in soil for this grow and I'm still getting people telling me to do it. Thank God for the ignore button. :ciao: If only there was one in real life. :meditate:

Screenshot 2021-05-09 125034.jpg

Today my little babies are looking a lot more promising. The one on the far left has had significant growth over the last 24 hours to the point I am pretty confident it's a viable seed despite being about 36 hours behind what I would usually expect from a germinating seed. Also, the fifth seed has now cracked and has a taproot developing and the other three are not dormant as I feared. They are slow starters but things might work out fine.

IMG_7684.JPG

Compared to the previous few days.

Screenshot 2021-05-09 171122.jpg

Since the first seed on the left is doing so well I put her in soil today. Seedlings don't like their soil drenched I find so I mixed Pro-Mix HP up in a bowl to get it just the right consistency and thoroughly/evenly moist with tap water with 2 g per gallon of MegaCrop. Here she is under the MegaLight sharing the veg room with a Northern Lights plant. She was so vigorous the last 24 hours I expect her to break ground within 2 to 3 days.

IMG_7685.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

Awesome work, Homer! Congrats on 1 in the dirt and the others on their way!!! Happy Sunday

I see what @HashFart meant regarding your photos, super excited to see more

Thanks, Modest Grower. Glad you like my pics, I enjoy making them. I was thinking of making a vid of how I grow so I am thinking I will kill two birds with one stone and take nice pics for this epic comparison event and use them in my vid too so I am going to try and take extra nice ones for this journal.

Happy Sunday to you too. :)

Being under a stay-at-home order here at least till the 21st of this month I have all the time in the world to spend on my plants so I have been contemplating what my seeds have done so far so I can predict what they might do next. I have never started this many seeds at once before so this is a unique opportunity for me to see how differently seeds act when germinating and what kind of plants they turn into. I find every strain acts differently so it will be interesting to see how different seeds from the same strain will differ.

Here are my seeds after four days since dropping in water. Usually, in my experience, they would look like number 1 on the third day and I would have planted them all so these are on the slow side but in the long run that may not mean anything; the way number 1 took off encourages me the rest may do the same.

IMG_76r84.jpg

After 30 hours seeds 1, 2 and 3 cracked and after 48 hours seed number 4 and finally to my delight after 96 hours number 5 cracked and has a taproot started. I could be totally wrong but for something to do I predict that although seed number 2 and number 4 have about the same size taproots at 96 hours or day four I believe that because number 4 opened a day later it is growing faster than number 2 and will be considerably longer than number 2 tomorrow. I also wouldn’t be surprised that although number 3 has a bigger taproot than number 5 presently I predict tomorrow number 5’s will be bigger than number 3’s. I wouldn’t put a lot of money on that one but that would be my guess because number 3 is an early cracker but a slow grower since and number 5 is just getting started.

If I was a betting man at this point I think the safe bet would be on number 1 turning into the best plant because it is so much farther ahead but maybe this will turn into a tortoise and hare’s story who knows? I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in 3 because it cracked early with 1 and 2 and has grown slowly since. 2 cracked first, is 50% bigger than the rest of the seeds but since its early cracking has only had moderate growth so this one’s a tossup. 4 could be a real contender because it cracked 24 hours after 2 and 3 and is yet as big as 2 and much bigger than 3 thereby must be growing faster than both of them. And 5 is the big coy mystery cracking within the last 24 hours.

I don’t expect anybody to have cared about the last two paragraphs never mind reading and absorbing them but I find it interesting examining thereby trying to understand the way things work and I definitely have too much time on my hands so yes I will definitely keep track of which plant came from which seeds to answer some questions. I am curious to find out whether the seeds with fast-growing taproots and/or early starts or bigger seeds grow bigger plants.

Although all my predictions about which seedlings’ taproot would grow the most in the last 24 hours were totally wrong I was thrilled to see so much growth. I think I’m fine because although my seeds tend to oddly pause for a day or two after cracking they seem to eventually start growing well.

IMG_76y98.jpg

So although the fifth one didn’t grow much overnight I am sure it will take off like the rest eventually so today I planted the remaining seeds. Here are all five seeds in their planters and hopefully in the next couple of days I will have plants poking through.

IMG_7709.JPG

:popcorn:

Day: 1

download.jpg

I was equally thrilled as relieved to see seed number one poking its head out of the ground around noon when the lights came on.
:party:

Here are a few pics I took over the following eight hours or so. :headbanger:

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7c790.jpg

IMG_77i16.jpg

IMG_7790.JPG

IMG_77iy16.jpg

As an added bonus later in the day seed #3 started coming up which was a bit of a surprise considering that after 96 hours it was second to last in the runt department. So far 1 and 3 are up and my prediction is that four will be up next bearing in mind all my educated guesses were wrong last time. The big surprise is seed number two which is 50% bigger than all the rest and split first isn't up yet. I say it all the time but growing weed is like a box of chocolates.

IMG_76r84.jpg

Hopefully, my firstborn will be upright and basking in the rays when the lights come on tomorrow. My gratitude to the Cannabis Gods I have healthy seeds above ground. :Namaste:

Thanks for stopping by. :ciao:

Day: 1

One last pic of my baby standing up on her first day.

IMG_77y96.jpg

Back
Top Bottom