Girl Scout Cookies By Homer Simpson

I have been enthusiastically anticipating my seeds’ arrival for this epic comparison grow with curiosity piqued, appreciative for the opportunity to partake and finally today is that long-awaited day of my seeds arrival.

:party::thumb:

Homer likes to keep his growing method simple. Simple is as simple does. :oops:

If I am noted for anything in this journal, which I wouldn’t bet on, I believe it will not be for what I do but instead for what I don’t do. No tent, no fans, no adjusting nutrient water pH, no flushing, no watering enough to get run off, no training just topping, no fancy soils or amendments just the cheapest; Pro Mix HP, no complicated additives; just inexpensive one part MegaCrop, and so on. Forgoing tents I simply have my plants under LEDs in the unfinished end of the basement out in the open and for environmental control just keep the house in the comfortable range for humans for both temperature and humidity.

The biggest lesson for me in my time growing here is that the Golden Rule when it comes to light, water and fertilizer is less is more. Although my MegaLight can run over 600 W I keep it at 200 W and 24 inches. Even trying to go to just 240 W caused leaf burn. The manufacturer’s maximum dosage recommended for MegaCrop in flower is 6 g per gallon but I rarely go over five or 5.5 depending on what my leaves are telling me. The only plant I ever had die in flower I believe in hindsight I drowned so I let my pots get pretty dry between waterings even in flower. They seem to like it.

The essence of my pragmatic grow method has been to eliminate anything not beneficial to the plant making growing as cheap, easy and simple as possible so I am genuinely curious how my plants will compare to those that employ every growing doodad and additive available. It should be quite illuminating to discover what other growers do with the same seeds and what they get from them with their more elaborate systems. I’m not certain myself so what could be cooler than that? Going to have to stock up on popcorn! :popcorn:

Now that I have my bare-bones system pretty much settled and stable in future grows though I would like to experiment with some organic fertilizers and such but I didn’t want to do a big comparative grow introducing anything new that I wasn’t certain about.

Good luck to all my fellow comparators. :Namaste:

Strain: Girl Scout Cookies Feminized From @Weed Seeds Express

Sativa/Indica: Hybrid (OG Kush/Durban Poison)

Veg: approx. 8-10 weeks

Indoor Now / Outdoor possibly later but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Grow Medium: ProMix HP

Final Pot Size: 10-gallon indoor

Lights: NextLight MegaLight 650W ( set to about 200 W at 24”)

Room Temperature/Humidity range: 75 to 78F, 35 to 50% (whatever the basement is depending on time of year and humidifier/dehumidifier use)

Soil PH: not tested and nute tap water pH not tested or adjusted

Here is where all the magic and hopefully a minimum of disasters will take place. As a requisite for being in this comparison grow is to use a sponsored light I will be vegging and flowering in this room under my MegaLight from NextLight. It is a happy coincidence that my MegaLight gives off a beautiful soft glow that is not only beautiful in photographs but colour balanced nicely so putting up a backdrop I bought for $20 along with my iPhone turns my grow room into a cheap nice little studio.

IMG_7606.JPG

Here is the obligatory seed-pack shot.

IMG_7626.jpg

Here are the seeds I will be starting minus one. I am planning on bringing 2 plants to maturity indoors and hoping to give 2 away for outside to friends so I am actually starting five seeds assuming one will not sprout, the fifth which I added after these photos were taken.

IMG_7629.jpg

Here are the girls soaking it up in a warm bath of plain tap water. I will keep them in water for 24 to 48 hours depending on how long it will take them to crack and start to sprout a tap root and then transfer them to a wet paper towel for a few days after that. I used to just drop them in soil but this way I can see how they are doing so I spend less time waiting for duds.

IMG_7630.jpg

I find heating my seeds to between 78 and 80°F when germinating makes a marked improvement in growth rate and I believe a higher success rate but a little too early to draw that conclusion. I can pretty accurately adjust the voltage on the output of my controller with my multimeter so I can dial in my temperature within a degree or two. Being a tinkerer I had the controller and multimeter already so I didn't have to buy anything to heat my seeds. I do try to make my system as simple as possible but when I find something beneficial like heating my seeds I go for it because being a pragmatic grower I only eliminate that which has no benefit.

IMG_7631.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. :ciao:

Nice setup. Curious why you expect a 20% failure rate with germination? It wasn’t clear from your intro.
Sorry to be picky I know what a pain that is. I’ve been looking at everyone’s start and I’ve not seen that rate of failure.
I like your basement studio and your pared down pragmatism.
Looking forward to seeing how they go for you.

Nice setup. Curious why you expect a 20% failure rate with germination? It wasn’t clear from your intro.
Sorry to be picky I know what a pain that is. I’ve been looking at everyone’s start and I’ve not seen that rate of failure.
I like your basement studio and your pared down pragmatism.
Looking forward to seeing how they go for you.
Hey, DonkeyDick, nice to have you drop by.

I am not so much expecting a 20% failure rate as safeguarding in case. Better safe than sorry. Perhaps I am being influenced by the fact I have had some germination issues lately; I tried starting two Super Lemon Haze seeds a few months apart and they both failed which I suspect might be due to the fact they were lost in the mail for over two months last summer coming from Europe and I fear they may have been baked in some mailbox in the sun or something. Hopefully, you are right and I will have three to give away. :)

Yuuuuuup!!! I'm looking forward to watching yours thrive. That growing space is amazing man. I like your approach to this too. Keeping it simple and straight forward.
Welcome aboard, BakedARea. Validating you appreciate my approach. :Namaste:

Nice grow space ,,u seem to work with a similar outlook as i ,,Keep It simple stupid that my moto :goodluck:

I'd like to follow along, Homer.

I was looking for a backdrop for photos, too but I couldn't find any smaller ones as I only need 28" wide x 48" tall. I suppose I could get one and cut it in half... :hmmmm: What kind of material is yours and where did you get it?

Also, just to clarify, of the 5 seeds you're germinating, you're going to grow 2 of them and give the rest to your friends? At what stage in their growth will you be gifting them?

Nice grow space ,,u seem to work with a similar outlook as i ,,Keep It simple stupid that my moto :goodluck:
Yes, the KISS method or Keep It Simple Simpson. :rolleyes:

At least a year ago I was reading some comments somewhere on the Internet on growing and some cranky old guy who claimed he grew forever was saying that probably no one will listen to him and he didn’t care but he was saying you just need the basics; a decent light, decent humidity and temperature and a simple fertilizer and that’s about it and you don’t get much more with all the bells and whistles so I took that to heart and tried making my system simpler, things like not using circulation fans, and after simplifying my methods I’m getting better plants.

So I just think this is great because I’m really curious what people will get with the same genetics but much more complex systems than mine. I have seen photos on here with plants that have buds that are huge compared to mine so I’m really curious if it’s genetics or more of how they are treated. What is going to be so interesting about this comparison grow is we are going to find that out to a large degree. I’m really looking forward to this.

I'd like to follow along, Homer.

I was looking for a backdrop for photos, too but I couldn't find any smaller ones as I only need 28" wide x 48" tall. I suppose I could get one and cut it in half... :hmmmm: What kind of material is yours and where did you get it?

Also, just to clarify, of the 5 seeds you're germinating, you're going to grow 2 of them and give the rest to your friends? At what stage in their growth will you be gifting them?
Welcome, HashGirl, delighted to have you following along.

I bought my background on Amazon.ca back in 2020 for about $25 but it's not available anymore and ones that size tend to be about $40 now which is probably why it's no longer available. It seems to be some kind of artificial fabric but the specific type I have no idea. I haven't gone because of the pandemic but I have a FabricLand pretty close to me and I was thinking of picking up some burlap or something for a background from there. You might want to try that?

I would like to give away the plants fairly soon to stay within my four plant maximum threshold. The one friend I am going to give a plant to grew an outdoor plant last year that yielded over a pound so I have high hopes for the one I give him and the other is a noob grower so I am going to have to help oversee that one but she's a pretty capable gardener and pretty clever so I think she will do well also. I hope to get them both out of the house within a few weeks after sprouting.

Maybe post a pic here from time to time of the GSCs in your friends’ gardens? Would love to see a pounder. Lucky you guys, being able to grow outside.

Yes, I am hoping they will be sending me pics so I can post them in this Journal. I didn't want to exaggerate so I said one pound but after reflecting I am pretty sure it was over two pounds my buddy said he got from his best plant last year. This is the pic he sent me of the plant in question, which I believe is a Gorilla Glue, so I have high hopes for what he does with the GSC.

IMG_6998.JPG

Yes, I am hoping they will be sending me pics so I can post them in this Journal. I didn't want to exaggerate so I said one pound but after reflecting I am pretty sure it was over two pounds my buddy said he got from his best plant last year. This is the pic he sent me of the plant in question, which I believe is a Gorilla Glue, so I have high hopes for what he does with the GSC.

IMG_6998.JPG
Amazing

He's at least 20 years younger than me but has tons more growing experience. I met him when he was my apprentice, and at the end of my career, he was my foreman. A true-life testament to the old saying you should be nice to the people on the way up because you meet the same people on the way down.

Have no fear hashfarts is here ,,,, I came for the out of this world photography I stay for Homer, I struggle with larger journals but I made it for this one!!!

Glad you could make it, hashfart. Happy to hear you like my pics. :) I do enjoy making nice pics of my plants and since I am so lucky this journal is part of such an epic event I plan on trying to take my nicest pics for it.

Back
Top Bottom