Girl Scout Cookies By Homer Simpson

Day 2

More good news this morning. Here is seed number 1 which was first up yesterday standing erect but still holding onto her seed membrane.

IMG_7798.JPG

Here is seedling number 3 also standing upright this morning which is surprising because it was just emerging last night. She's a feisty one.

IMG_7800.JPG

Here is seedling 2 this morning breaking ground. She was the first to crack and is 50% bigger than the other seeds so I was expecting her to be a little farther along at this point.

IMG_7801.JPG

And here is seed number 4 even emerging this morning which only leaves seed number 5.

IMG_7802.JPG

Really happy to see four out of five seeds breaking surface and I assume number 5 is soon to follow but I just don't know where I stand with these seeds? I have never before grown seeds that cracked and got small taproots and then went dormant for a day or two and they are small seeds and these plants are the smallest I can remember growing. This last pic shows my biggest plant next to a dime to show how puny it is. Again, everything may work out fine but I've never had seeds that acted like this before.

Weird and wacky stuff... But they do seem healthy. :)

IMG_7803.JPG

:ciao:

I feel much better about my seedlings' size and development after looking at @Emilya's journal. I started my seeds one day after hers and they are pretty much on par with each other for size and development so hopefully, my seeds are fine after all.

I was impressed, as usual, with Emilya’s methods; she has a potent soil concoction she blended like the soil virtuoso she is. So I find it a happy coincidence we have started our seeds within a day of each other so I can easily compare my simple clown show to her comprehensive system. It should be interesting. :nerd-with-glasses:

Day 3

This morning all my seedlings are up and healthy although laggard # 5 isn't tall enough yet to be above the rim of her container.

IMG_78726.jpg

Seedling #3 has overtaken #1 as the biggest so here are a few pics of her to commemorate her achievement.

IMG_7828.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

Seedlings I find after expending so much energy to get above ground tend to stagnate for a while so I am not expecting too much action for a week or so. I assume they are putting their energy towards growing roots during this time. I shouldn't have to water them for a week or two so at this point, they don't require any attention.

Here is a pic I took the other day of a tiny flower on one of the hedges in my front flowerbed.

IMG_7804.JPG

You take lovely photos, Homer. I wish mine looked so good.

Thank you HashGirl; I am happy you like my pics. :Namaste:

I do have an advantage because I studied photography in college but then worked as a millwright for 30 years and didn’t own a camera for decades till I got a smartphone. The digital aspect opens up a whole new world compared to my day where now the only limitation is your creativity and no stinky chemicals.

In the evening when I’m relaxing I often play with Photoshop and other programs for something to do as I watch TV. I’m no Rembrandt but I enjoy creating things. Here’s what I was working on tonight. I’m thinking I’ll make a video of this grow which is an incentive to make nice pictures.

IMG_7gbt826.jpg

IMG_7831.JPG

Day 4

Never planting this many seeds at once before I haven't had the opportunity to see how seeds' early development relates to the kind of plant it becomes and it has been surprising.

Although seed number one developed so much quicker than the others I planted it a day earlier than the others surprisingly, it has ended up being the plant with the thinnest stalk. Seed number 2, which started out 50% bigger than the other seeds and cracked first, I would say is the largest plant with the greatest girth stalk (I knew despite what they say size does indeed matter). Number 4 was a late starter after seeds 1-2 and 3 but it has really bounced back rivalling number 2 for first place. Although number 5 is the runt of the bunch it has a good-sized girth on its stalk so it might be a good indoor plant also being short so at this point, I would say for my top two that I will grow indoors I would probably choose 2 and 4 with 5 possibly eking out one of the other two. But of course, that could all change.

IMG_76r84.jpg

I took all these pics that make up this collage with the focus locked on my iPhone so they should be the same distance from the camera so truly represent their proportional size to each other.

Screenshot 2021-05-14 191209.jpg

As I mentioned I don't expect these plants to change much in the next week or two. I made sure my soil is just a bit moist because this size of seedlings isn't using hardly any moisture so most of the drying is just of evaporation so I don't expect to have to water these things for a week or two. At that time I will go from 2 g per gallon to 2.5 g per gallon MC for nutrients.

Beautiful day out today; gave my car its spring cleaning.

IMG_78r35.jpg

Who's the man ,,,,, ill tell ya it's Homer!!!!!! Hell yeah brother that is all I have for you HELL YEAH BROTHERRRRRR! looking awesome growing awesome being awesome

Very cool HS.

Thank you, guys. Very kind of you. :Namaste:

These programs are like huge puzzles and I always feel like I'm just scratching the surface of what can be done with them which is half the attraction because I feel like I'm always learning. Trying to keep the old brain functioning as long as I can because, errrr, ummm... Sorry, what were you saying?

Anyways, it amazes me what you can do with these programs. The problem is it's hard to say when something is done but I added to the one I posted earlier and I really like the way it turned out. I have a lot of flops and it's funny because I never know what's going to sing and what's headed for the recycle bin.

IMG_78gt535.jpg

Day 5

My prediction that my seedlings wouldn’t change much in the next week has been proven to be completely misguided. Just in the last 24 hours, I have had significant leaf growth. Here is seed number 1 which although having one of the thinner stalks has the biggest leaves thus far. Since all my predictions with this strain have been wrong I’m considering taking a George Costanza approach and predicting the opposite of my instinct/intuition. :oops:

IMG_7854.JPG

I am grateful the whole gang is happy and healthy. :Namaste:

IMG_78f49.jpg

Day 7

This morning I gave each of the girls 60 mL of water which besides photographing them is all I have done in the week they have been above ground. I expected to go about two weeks before my first watering but I didn't make the soil overly moist to start with so I kept my nutrients at 2 g per gallon. I have found they don't like too much water, especially at this stage.

Here is a close-up of plant number 1 looking pretty healthy with her seed membrane still hanging on for dear life.

IMG_7867.JPG

Here are all five ladies generally looking pretty healthy although seedling number four seems to have some sort of leaf deformity problem but I find they tend to grow out of that sort of thing so I think she will be fine.

Screenshot 2021-05-17 174202.jpg

:)

IMG_78tt65.jpg

Your photography is amazing, keep up the great work brother! :goodjob:

Thank you so much. I appreciate the forum to show it. :Namaste:

IMG_7865.jpg

My compliments on the artistic photos and vigorous plants.

Thank you, jonoldstyle. I appreciate the comment and for following along. I am just grateful my plants are behaving. :)

Hey @Homer Simpson
Hope your well and you don’t mind me piping up?
Classy mate, it gives us all something to aim for;)
Peace to ya

You are too kind Bud love. Thank you. Gald you like my pics. :Namaste:

I guess everything is relative because I just wish I had a better memory so I could learn these programs faster. I use Photoshop CS6 and Blender mostly for my journal and every time I think I have a good handle on them I realize I'm just scratching the surface and there are other whole dimensions.

Day 9

Here is plant number one; still the biggest but not by much as most are coming along nicely with the exception of poor deformed little number four.

IMG_7880.JPG

Plants number 1-2 and 3 are all doing well and very closely matched. Number 4 still has a leaf problem but I still think it’s something she will outgrow. Number five was the last to grow a taproot by at least a day and although being the runt of the litter seems healthy enough and is coming along nicely and may eventually catch up I suspect (which is probably wrong). :oops:

Untitled-3.jpg

I gave them each 120 mL of water with 2 g per gallon MC yesterday. Despite giving them 60 mL the day before that they seemed pretty dry still so I watered them again with more. They do seem to be showing a slight nitrogen deficiency being a little yellowish in some tiny spots so I will definitely be taking them up to 2.5 g per gallon MC next watering.

IMG_7877.JPG

I probably would have taken them up already to 2.5 g per gallon but I want to be really stingy with the nutrients with this grow because I have discovered it’s the best way to know where my plants are at. Nutrient deficiency and toxicity can look identical to me so often I never know whether I need more or less nutrients so by staying very low if I do have an issue I know to increase my nutrients a bit. If there is one thing I would tell new growers that I have learned in the couple years I have been on this site growing is that when it comes to nutrients less is more.

I pressure sprayed my deck yesterday and I’m praying that we get no rain overnight so I can stain it tomorrow.

Hope all is well!

D'oh! :oops:

Somehow double posted that last post. Weird and wacky stuff...

Cool pics and I have a wonky #5 of 6 plants in my GSC comparative grow. It’s still behind the curve on day 29 but looking like it’s going to get some normal next set of leaves on its 3rd node. I like your plan with feeding less with small increases. I am just learning that mycorrhiza is really important to their health.

Back
Top Bottom