Girl Scout Cookies By Homer Simpson

Happy to do it, HashGirl. I actually just use my iPhone for all my pics on my Journal. I'm really amazed at what a remarkable little camera it is. I found the secret is to learn how to really adjust the focus and exposure. If you hold your finger on the screen on an object when the camera is on the phone it will lock both the exposure and the focus.

When you touch the screen again up a box comes up with a slider and by swiping up or down you can increase or decrease the exposure or amount of light the camera allows in to hit the sensor. I even have a program that I bought for like three dollars on my iPhone that gives me a little dial on the screen where I can separately adjust the focus and exposure just like on the 35mm type cameras that is handy for real close-ups.

I don't even use a tripod or close-up lenses with my iPhone; just handheld pics. I used to use a tripod but I find my shutter speeds are fast enough under my growing lights that they are sharp handheld. Saves a lot of time taking pictures without a tripod. One thing I also usually do is take several pics of the same subject matter with a variety of exposures so I can pick the best one when I edit.

I had no idea you could focus and set the exposure by touching the screen. I had planned on taking a photography course at the local library using an iPhone when I retired but then the pandemic happened and it never happened. And, now, I'm giving up my iPhone and getting a Samsung and will have to learn how to take photos with it instead.

I had no idea you could focus and set the exposure by touching the screen. I had planned on taking a photography course at the local library using an iPhone when I retired but then the pandemic happened and it never happened. And, now, I'm giving up my iPhone and getting a Samsung and will have to learn how to take photos with it instead.
Yes, if you tap the screen of your phone once when the camera app is open it will temporarily lock the focus and exposure on whatever you tapped on in the screen but if you move the camera away from what you focused on it will go back to automatically focusing on what is in the middle of the screen.

But if you hold your finger down on the screen for a few seconds until a box flashes on the screen around your finger the camera will lock the focus and exposure so if you move the camera away from what you are focused on it will still stay locked on those settings. So you can do a temporary lock with one tap or lock it permanently by holding the screen. And by permanently I mean until you touch the screen again.

That's how I'm able to get pictures of my plants that represent their true size relative to each other. I lock the focus and exposure so that I know I'm the same distance away for every plant if it's in focus.

I was pleasantly surprised at what a good camera it was when I really got to understand the settings now that I am retired and had the time. I think a Samsung will serve you just as well as an iPhone. Of course, you can do miracles with modern SLR cameras and I'm not saying my little iPhone camera is equal to that but for someone too cheap to buy a good camera, it's more than a competent practical alternative.

It looks like I pulled a real Homer. I did a report yesterday which I called Day 9 but Google tells me that today is nine days since May 11 when my first plant broke ground. So it looks like I was a day ahead of myself so when I do a report tomorrow which I thought would be day 11 I will label it day 10 which it actually is.

Sorry for the confusion. D'oh!

Congratulations on the shoe tying; I know several Ironworkers that struggle with that. :p
I had to learn, my mum started to refuse to come on to the work site every time my boots come undone.

You can always tell who the millwrights are on site by the multitool they carry. One tool does it all. It's a hammer, a pry bar and a nutfukker; all rolled into one:p
Screenshot_20210521-101908.jpeg

All caught up again! They are looking awesome just like the pics.
Nutrient deficiency and toxicity can look identical to me so often I never know whether I need more or less nutrients so by staying very low if I do have an issue I know to increase my nutrients a bit
I am with you about that! I still don't have a good eye on what is happening to the plant. I rely heavily on this site for answers.
If there is one thing I would tell new growers that I have learned in the couple years I have been on this site growing is that when it comes to nutrients less is more.
AMEN! Last couple years I have over complicated growing a weed. This year my goal was to simplify everything. Started with the GSC grow and getting to know more about the GeoFlora products really got me excited.
Glad to get that out of the way.
Maaaaan...I need to say that more often. I I add on more to-dos than I am able to finish them. Vicious cycle but feels so good when a task gets done!
Thank you so much for this, Homer. I will definitely check them out. I'd love to post better photos. I have an iPhone tripod and an iPhone macro lens to use as well.
You could look into the Adobe photography bundle. Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99 a month.

You could look into the Adobe photography bundle. Photoshop & Lightroom for $9.99 a month.

Thanks, Baked but in Canada, the cost is $27.99 a month and I am not willing to pay that.

I had to learn, my mum started to refuse to come on to the work site every time my boots come undone.

You can always tell who the millwrights are on site by the multitool they carry. One tool does it all. It's a hammer, a pry bar and a nutfukker; all rolled into one:p
Screenshot_20210521-101908.jpeg

Yes, the old millwrights' creed; This is my crescent wrench. There are many like it, but this one is mine...
(for our British audience what we call a crescent wrench is what you refer to as an adjustable spanner)

I’m actually a little surprised that you’ve even heard of a millwright because judging by the number of British millwrights in Canada I thought we had them all.

I respect British millwrights; they are professional knowledgeable well-trained high functioning alcoholics almost to a man. True story; we were sent home one afternoon due to rain and the next morning when we came in this old British millwright who was about 70 at the time scolded us like we were children for not spending the afternoon drinking in the bar (pub) as he did and instead all going home to our families. He was genuinely disgusted with us.

Cheers

I am with you about that! I still don't have a good eye on what is happening to the plant. I rely heavily on this site for answers.

I think a lot of us are in that situation. When I compared different photographic charts of what causes what kind of leaf problem even the charts didn't agree with each other. I don't even try to figure out what the deficiency is because using a one-part nutrient I all I can do is add more or less and I find less is usually the answer.

I keep my nutrients really low and as the manufacturer of my nutrients says use the greenness of the plant as an indicator( not green enough add more, too green add less). If my plant is a healthy green I keep the nutrients where they are but if my top leaf tips are burned I know I am a little high and if my bottom leaves start dying I know I am a little low.

Started with the GSC grow and getting to know more about the GeoFlora products really got me excited.

Yes, in future grows I would definitely like to do a comparison between MC and GeoFlora.

Yes, in future grows I would definitely like to do a comparison between MC and GeoFlora.

I wanted to do that with this grow but was told I couldn't. If we could get GeoFlora in Canada easier than having the sponsor send it, I could try it on a different grow.

I wanted to do that with this grow but was told I couldn't. If we could get GeoFlora in Canada easier than having the sponsor send it, I could try it on a different grow.
Yes, I hesitate to even say the name so I simply use the initials MC usually because using it is kind of a sticky wicket on this site and I certainly understand why. They refuse to be a sponsor and yet they are by a considerable margin the cheapest cannabis fertilizer there is. But at the same time, I understand that 420 Magazine is a commercial venture reliant on advertising dollars for its existence so it has to favourite sponsors. So I can understand why they wouldn't want you to do it on this grow, while also finding it frustrating.

And yes, I have looked and cannot find where it is available anywhere in Canada or I would've also done a comparison by now probably with MC if I could get my hands on it.

That's why this comparative grow is going to be so interesting. We are going to see if all these fancy expensive multipart nutrient systems give any benefit and to what degree. Personally, my hunch tells me that MC and GeoFlora would give pretty equal results but what makes me lean towards GeoFlora is that being organic you don't have to balance your dosage on a razor's edge like you do with chemical fertilizers like MC. Besides, chemical fertilizers are pretty nasty for the planet to produce.

Hey, Homer! Do you mind if I pull up a chair for this show? I'm really into this GSC comparative grow and would enjoy adding your journal to the list of those that I'm following.

I haven't heard from you since I declared you my "best friend" near the end of the 420 contest. I hope I didn't scare you away by being too forward too fast! :laughtwo:

I like your dedication to simplicity. I'm pretty much the same way except when it comes to training. I have been known to go to great lengths to train my plants, including sitting on them.:Rasta:

I wanted to try GF not only for its organic nature but because it appears to be pretty easy to use. I wish I had more of it because using it in our outdoor grow this summer would have been great and a lot easier, in my opinion.

Hey, Homer! Do you mind if I pull up a chair for this show? I'm really into this GSC comparative grow and would enjoy adding your journal to the list of those that I'm following.

I haven't heard from you since I declared you my "best friend" near the end of the 420 contest. I hope I didn't scare you away by being too forward too fast! :laughtwo:

I like your dedication to simplicity. I'm pretty much the same way except when it comes to training. I have been known to go to great lengths to train my plants, including sitting on them.:Rasta:

Welcome aboard GDB; I wondered what happened to my new best friend! :ganjamon:

I cannot conceive of a greater homage to simplicity than training one's plants by sitting on them! :thumb:

I used to have pretty labour intensive training techniques myself holding down my branches with wires, string, ropes, comealongs, etc. but being a pragmatic (lazy) grower now I just top and I find I can get just as good a canopy from a few staggered toppings than from all the work of holding my branches down.

I am going to flower two of these indoors and I will be doing two different no labour trimming training techniques. One based on quadlining without the hold-down and the other something of my own concoction.

I wanted to try GF not only for its organic nature but because it appears to be pretty easy to use. I wish I had more of it because using it in our outdoor grow this summer would have been great and a lot easier, in my opinion.

Yes, HashGirl. My understanding is it only has to be applied topically once a month and unlike chemical fertilizers there isn't a razor's edge between toxicity and deficiencies. The only downside I see is the price.

Welcome aboard GDB; I wondered what happened to my new best friend! :ganjamon:

I cannot conceive of a greater homage to simplicity than training one's plants by sitting on them! :thumb:

I used to have pretty labour intensive training techniques myself holding down my branches with wires, string, ropes, comealongs, etc. but being a pragmatic (lazy) grower now I just top and I find I can get just as good a canopy from a few staggered toppings than from all the work of holding my branches down.

I am going to flower two of these indoors and I will be doing two different no labour trimming training techniques. One based on quadlining without the hold-down and the other something of my own concoction.
You're lazy too! Aw, man, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship! :laughtwo:

You're lazy too! Aw, man, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship! :laughtwo:
I didn't put this in my signature just to take up space, LOL.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain

I have an appointment I have to head out for so, take care all. I should be posting later tonight the progress in the garden the last two days.

:ciao:

Yes, HashGirl. My understanding is it only has to be applied topically once a month and unlike chemical fertilizers there isn't a razor's edge between toxicity and deficiencies. The only downside I see is the price.
It needs to be applied once every 14 days, Homer. And some of us who have used it have shortened that interval by 2-4 days.

I just don't get this U.S/Canada situation. We're on the same friggin' continent! You should be able to get everything I get and vice versa, just like Covid!

And, the lack of availability here in Canada.

It needs to be applied once every 14 days, Homer. And some of us who have used it have shortened that interval by 2-4 days.

I just don't get this U.S/Canada situation. We're on the same friggin' continent! You should be able to get everything I get and vice versa, just like Covid!

Thanks for the clarification about the GeoFlora application. I don't get it either but I don't think it's the law so much as Geo-Flora just doesn't care to send to Canada because we have MC here so it can be done.

And, the lack of availability here in Canada.

Yes, I concur not having it does diminish its effects significantly... :p

Thanks for the clarification about the GeoFlora application. I don't get it either but I don't think it's the law so much as Geo-Flora just doesn't care to send to Canada because we have MC here so it can be done.

Yes, I concur not having it does diminish its effects significantly... :p
Contrary to popular belief, the US and Canada simply do not share the same protocols.

Can we please stay respectful of your sponsor and get back to talking about your plants and your sponsored products? :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom