Gonna try an outside plant this year

Scottsquatch

I have been out of the grow game for a few years as I was not in a legal state and was going through an ugly divorce. The spidy senses started tingling so my better judgement forced me out. Anyway, I'm in a legal state now far from anything/anybody at all so I feel like trying my hand at producing a sungrown beauty this season. Until now, I grew organic indoors in a tent under LEDs in my own supersoil. I used 10 gallon fabric pots. I'm not really sure how things will go or what to expect in an outdoor grow. Anybody else ever experience a transition like this? If so, what will be the biggest differences and/or surpises I can expect (both good and bad) on my next grow? I'm thinking bugs and deer could be an issue. I'm also in a northern lattitude, so does anybody have any strain recomendations for the UP? Any experiences or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

outdoor grows are fun, yes you need to keep your eye out for bugs. My flip was the opposite, used to grow outdoors, now mostly indoors. When I grew outdoors I was very lucky in that I had incredible natural soil that I never had to add anything to. As far as strains you’ll want fast finishers, and depending on the climate, potentially cool climate strains, such as white widow, northern lights, blue dream. Google can be your friend picking the right strain for your climate. Deer can be a problem, but they’re fairly easy to deal with. Pack rats, gophers, and rabbits can be worse. Let me know if you need tips for animals.

Ive got a vast seed library. Connecting genetics was my thing for a while. Ill have to research strains again. I used to know what strains were good for what, but ive been out for a while and my memory has faded a little. Never thought about some of the critters you mentioned. This will be interesting. Im kinda looking forward to it. I wanna do a big old tree if possible. Lol

My main question is if the outdoor plants get much larger than indoor grown plants. I know strain is obviously key, but are outdoor grown generally bigger across the board? I used to pinch my tops to produce four or five cola buds and I meticulously trained and defoliaged my plants. Is this as critical for outdoor plants? Other than pinching or topping I mean? Im assuming all plants will just be a christmas tree without doing that, but is all the other tinkering neccesary? I am truly wondering what to expect or if there is anything majorly different I should do or expect. The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to it.

I've done this transition ...or so both rather. I use the same living soil and fill a hole with it, or just compost, top dress and compost and some mulch. They do get bigger, unless your in a pot, than they'll stay the same. Pests and weather are a big difference. Yes deer, and this year voles got into mine. I'm at 45-46 N, so just south of you some. Anything that's a nine weekers should finish decent. I've had plants out til November. Just weather depending. I'd look for mold resistant strains for the U.P. other than keeping pests and weather at bay, it's pretty simple for soil guys. I do like em better in the ground though. I'd recommend a greenhouse. That's what I'm shooting for this year. Hard to smoke rougher looking outdoor, when I have my pretty ass indoor. Lol. With all this said, I've had e successful outdoor seasons. For what it's worth. Last year was also a breeding success for me too, as far as experience goes. Others probably have a lot more.

I have been out of the grow game for a few years as I was not in a legal state and was going through an ugly divorce. The spidy senses started tingling so my better judgement forced me out. Anyway, I'm in a legal state now far from anything/anybody at all so I feel like trying my hand at producing a sungrown beauty this season. Until now, I grew organic indoors in a tent under LEDs in my own supersoil. I used 10 gallon fabric pots. I'm not really sure how things will go or what to expect in an outdoor grow. Anybody else ever experience a transition like this? If so, what will be the biggest differences and/or surpises I can expect (both good and bad) on my next grow? I'm thinking bugs and deer could be an issue. I'm also in a northern lattitude, so does anybody have any strain recomendations for the UP? Any experiences or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Good day my friend :ciao:
Sorry about the divorce.
At least your legal now.
I'm in northern Ontario.
I pregrow my girls inside my grow facility then move them outside in June.
I converted a Costco garage into a green house.
Cool damp fall weather is hard on flowering plants.
So the greenhouse helps.
Pulled 12 pounds in the fall so it works.
But pests and environment outside are a lot of work.
So a poly greenhouse is my answer to the problem.
In my Heaven's Shores thread shows the greenhouse. 2022
VIVOHUT 2 point Oh is 2023 outside grow.
Ask any questions you like I'm always around to help.

Good luck Amigo.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Good day my friend :ciao:
Sorry about the divorce.
At least your legal now.
I'm in northern Ontario.
I pregrow my girls inside my grow facility then move them outside in June.
I converted a Costco garage into a green house.
Cool damp fall weather is hard on flowering plants.
So the greenhouse helps.
Pulled 12 pounds in the fall so it works.
But pests and environment outside are a lot of work.
So a poly greenhouse is my answer to the problem.
In my Heaven's Shores thread shows the greenhouse. 2022
VIVOHUT 2 point Oh is 2023 outside grow.
Ask any questions you like I'm always around to help.

Good luck Amigo.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Bill, thanks for your input. What outdoor pests do you find the most problematic? I was thinking that if there were insects outside that got to my plants there would also be predators to those pests as well. As a vegetable gardener, I find that to be the case and I usually do not need to intervine. Is that not the case with these plants?

I have decided I will probably start my plants indoors to get a good start on the season. By the time they go outside they would be stronger and more resiliant to issues and the weather is much less likely to undergo erratic temperature fluctuations like they often do hete in the spring.

Eventually, I'd like to do a greenhouse. I plan to do so for some of my vegetables anyway. I imagine it would probably also extend the growing season for the girls a bit as well as keep the fall moisture from damaging the flower. Thanks again. Good luck on this seasons grow.

Bill, thanks for your input. What outdoor pests do you find the most problematic? I was thinking that if there were insects outside that got to my plants there would also be predators to those pests as well. As a vegetable gardener, I find that to be the case and I usually do not need to intervine. Is that not the case with these plants?

I have decided I will probably start my plants indoors to get a good start on the season. By the time they go outside they would be stronger and more resiliant to issues and the weather is much less likely to undergo erratic temperature fluctuations like they often do hete in the spring.

Eventually, I'd like to do a greenhouse. I plan to do so for some of my vegetables anyway. I imagine it would probably also extend the growing season for the girls a bit as well as keep the fall moisture from damaging the flower. Thanks again. Good luck on this seasons grow.
I use SNS @Sierra Natural Science several of their products are great.
It prevents mold and bud rot.
That is my biggest problem.
Mites are my biggest concern as far as insects attacking the girls.
A weekly preventative spray was a great way to keep them at bay.
Excellent products.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I've done this transition ...or so both rather. I use the same living soil and fill a hole with it, or just compost, top dress and compost and some mulch. They do get bigger, unless your in a pot, than they'll stay the same. Pests and weather are a big difference. Yes deer, and this year voles got into mine. I'm at 45-46 N, so just south of you some. Anything that's a nine weekers should finish decent. I've had plants out til November. Just weather depending. I'd look for mold resistant strains for the U.P. other than keeping pests and weather at bay, it's pretty simple for soil guys. I do like em better in the ground though. I'd recommend a greenhouse. That's what I'm shooting for this year. Hard to smoke rougher looking outdoor, when I have my pretty ass indoor. Lol. With all this said, I've had e successful outdoor seasons. For what it's worth. Last year was also a breeding success for me too, as far as experience goes. Others probably have a lot more.
Thanks for your input. Did you find it to be a painful transition or was it a good thing? I'm looking forward to using natural sunlight. I feel like it will be better than any artuficial lighting system. Also, I'll start looking into my strains to see which ones finish quickly and are the most cold tolerant. Thanks again.

Thanks for your input. Did you find it to be a painful transition or was it a good thing? I'm looking forward to using natural sunlight. I feel like it will be better than any artuficial lighting system. Also, I'll start looking into my strains to see which ones finish quickly and are the most cold tolerant. Thanks again.
I do it more for fun, and rely solely on my indoor. If I had to rely on outdoor..... It would be painful. Lol.

When growing outdoors a lot of the issues depend on where you’re at. I’m in Ca, with a coastal influence, so rh is relatively high most of the time 45-60%. Temps in the low mid eighties daytime, low 60’s at night, often morning fog. Strangely I’ve never had bad problems with rot, though you had to watch it closely, had done minor bug issues, a couple time I had to spray but they were in early veg. But different climates and latitudes have their own challenges. Try it , you’ll like it!

My main question is if the outdoor plants get much larger than indoor grown plants. I know strain is obviously key, but are outdoor grown generally bigger across the board? I used to pinch my tops to produce four or five cola buds and I meticulously trained and defoliaged my plants. Is this as critical for outdoor plants? Other than pinching or topping I mean? Im assuming all plants will just be a christmas tree without doing that, but is all the other tinkering neccesary? I am truly wondering what to expect or if there is anything majorly different I should do or expect. The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to it.
@StoneOtter and @KeithLemon grew some monster size plants outdoors last year. You might want to check them out. CL🍀

Howdy nothing much different since you've been in the game the last time maybe higher Powdery mildew,boltritius and insect pressure due to climate change and All the rain.
I'm in Michigan here the laws changed but its easier to get information and equipment without fear of being ratted on!! Happy growing ✌️

Hey Scott, if you go in ground they can and will! Mine get 9 to 12 feet so far. In pots is a different story, smaller plant , more watering. Yes to topping for both ways I think.

I do it more for fun, and rely solely on my indoor. If I had to rely on outdoor..... It would be painful. Lol.
Is outdoor just not as good in general? Is it not as potent as indoor grown? If so why?Do a lot of the tricombs get knocked off causing it to be less potent? Or is it just that the buds are rough looking in appearance? Are the terps not as good when grown outside? Sorry for the multitude of questions, Im just genuinely curious as to why you would hate to rely on sungrown. I was hoping to count on the sungrown as I had to part with all my tents and lighting during the separation/divorce (It was very hard to do as my grow was my hobby and passion). Either way, I am very remote and rely on solar panels now. I don't have the extra juice (or really even the space) to grow indoor this season even if I wanted to.

Is outdoor just not as good in general? Is it not as potent as indoor grown? If so why?Do a lot of the tricombs get knocked off causing it to be less potent? Or is it just that the buds are rough looking in appearance? Are the terps not as good when grown outside? Sorry for the multitude of questions, Im just genuinely curious as to why you would hate to rely on sungrown. I was hoping to count on the sungrown as I had to part with all my tents and lighting during the separation/divorce (It was very hard to do as my grow was my hobby and passion). Either way, I am very remote and rely on solar panels now. I don't have the extra juice (or really even the space) to grow indoor this season even if I wanted to.
Just harder for me to maintain. I can't have them out in the open to do my thing, so hauling water, etc. the buds aren't as pretty, but just as good. Flavor a bit different. I more or less practice it now every year ....literally in case the power goes out. It will be the end of the world....and I'll be having Herb. Lol but, I would say at least make shift some plastic over the top. The rain and wind do beat up the trichs a bit. I'll say though....I love watching the spiders and such keep the pests away. I found a bee one morning sleeping under a fan leaf, and a tree frog was chillin one morning too. Lol. The plants show their true beauty outside.

I believe the country is headed for a real reckoning. I think the grid WILL go down sometime in the next year or so. Whether accidentally, on purpose, or an act of war from an enemy... I don't know. I do think it's coming. It's the main reason why I am away from population centers. People will revert to savages if things get bad. I saw it in Iraq. I want no part of that.

I believe the country is headed for a real reckoning. I think the grid WILL go down sometime in the next year or so. Whether accidentally, on purpose, or an act of war from an enemy... I don't know. I do think it's coming. It's the main reason why I am away from population centers. People will revert to savages if things get bad. I saw it in Iraq. I want no part of that.
Glad to hear there are like minded folks in this country. I did the same. I'm not too far out, about 10 miles from the nearest town of 2000. I love it though. Never move back to a city. There's gotta be some local growers that have a good cut for the U.P. I dunno how the plant is, but I e smoked that pure Michigan, and that wasn't too bad for rec buds.

Back
Top Bottom