Gonna try an outside plant this year

Glad to hear there are like minded folks in this country. I did the same. I'm not too far out, about 10 miles from the nearest town of 2000. I love it though. Never move back to a city. There's gotta be some local growers that have a good cut for the U.P. I dunno how the plant is, but I e smoked that pure Michigan, and that wasn't too bad for rec buds.
Off grid and remote is the way to be my brother.

I absolutely LOVE being off grid and waaaay out in the middle of nowhere. We are at the very end of a 3 1/2 mile unmaintained road. One other person lives on the road. Together we maintain it so we can get in and out. A couple of hunting shacks are on the road as well, but that's it. We have 77 acres and that river is full of fish. Motors are prohibited, so the quiet is absolute. There is another truck trail across the river and we might hear a vehicle once a week. I'll hear an airplane probably two or three times a week. Other than that.... the silence is complete. Its the first time I have truly been able to relax and let my guard down since I got home from Iraq in 06. I'm gonna spend the rest of my days here.

1000001941.jpg
1000001661.jpg

Good for you Amigo :thumb:
Looks like paradise.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thanks Bill. I truly am finally living the good life. Never thought Id be excited to buy a tractor. Lol. But I have to maintain and improve my land and that road isn't gonna take care of itself. I just started reading your greenhouse thread and I see that you're on a river too. Is it a trout stream? We have trout but also walleye, smallmouth, and pike in the deeper stretches. I love to fish, so I'm looking forward to getting out on the water this summer. Have you thought about harnessing some hydro? Thats something I'm gonna look into this summer. I didn't have time to do much yet as we just closed on halloween and we had to get the cabin ready for year-round living and all of that. We have two nice feeder creeks going into the river. I'm gonna look into doing a mini hydro generator so we can have central air in the summer. My wife gave up a lot to move out here so Um going to make sure she is comfortable. I plan to do a big garden as well as some chickens and maybe some stew rabbits. I hunt and fish too so we wanna rely on ourselves as much as possible. Anyway, im rambling so Ill leave you to it. If you are doing the homestead thing, Id love to hear about it and any good tips you may have. Take care and stay safe.

Thanks Bill. I truly am finally living the good life. Never thought Id be excited to buy a tractor.
That would exciting for me.
Previous owners here had a Kubota , great machine
What make are you thinking ?

Lol. But I have to maintain and improve my land and that road isn't gonna take care of itself. I just started reading your greenhouse thread and I see that you're on a river too.

Is it a trout stream? We have trout but also walleye, smallmouth, and pike in the deeper stretches.
Rainbow and Brooke trout, pickerel & pike. :thumb:
There's great fishing all around us but in the yard is handy.
The dogs love the river & property.
And the road get plowed by the town, thankfully.
I'm in no shape to fek around with it.

I love to fish, so I'm looking forward to getting out on the water this summer. Have you thought about harnessing some hydro? Thats something I'm gonna look into this summer. I didn't have time to do much yet as we just closed on halloween and we had to get the cabin ready for year-round living and all of that. We have two nice feeder creeks going into the river. I'm gonna look into doing a mini hydro generator so we can have central air in the summer.

Thankfully we are on the grid, I installed a heat pump & ac.
But I'd like solar to help with the b8ll some day.
I feed the greenhouse from the river though.

My wife gave up a lot to move out here so Um going to make sure she is comfortable. I plan to do a big garden as well as some chickens and maybe some stew rabbits. I hunt and fish too so we wanna rely on ourselves as much as possible.

A garden and live stock will be handy for sure.
I'm not a homestead type but love the outdoors.
We have bear & moose here but i haven't hunted since my accident .
Still can fish though.

Anyway, im rambling so Ill leave you to it. If you are doing the homestead thing, Id love to hear about it and any good tips you may have. Take care and stay safe.

I'm visiting another member today, pot delivery.
Just curious you have much hardwood there, we have to buy firewood.
Costs a fortune here.
Talk soon my friend. :passitleft:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

We got an LS tractor. They made tractors for New Holland and Case for 30 years and started competing in the market in the 90's IIRC. We got the 6 ft front mounted snowthrower too and so far I'm liking it. To bad we only had one storm big enough for me to use it. Lol

So far, we really liking being off grid. We have to be a little more mindful of electricity usage, but we are adjusting

We dont have much in the way of hardwood. Its mostly pine and spruce. I'm trying to find a good source of hardwoid too. Pine burns fine, but I'd like a few cords of maple, birch, or oak every year as well.

We got an LS tractor. They made tractors for New Holland and Case for 30 years and started competing in the market in the 90's IIRC. We got the 6 ft front mounted snowthrower too and so far I'm liking it. To bad we only had one storm big enough for me to use it. Lol

So far, we really liking being off grid. We have to be a little more mindful of electricity usage, but we are adjusting

We dont have much in the way of hardwood. Its mostly pine and spruce. I'm trying to find a good source of hardwoid too. Pine burns fine, but I'd like a few cords of maple, birch, or oak every year as well.
Don’t complain, you’ll get to use the blower.
This mild winter isn’t the norm.
But it sounds great.
Pine burns too fast.
If I’m hauling it I need it to last.
Sounds like a few solar panels might be handy.
Especially when you start an indoor garden :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I meant to say pine and cedar. We do have some maple and birch but not enough on my property for me to really use any. Pretty sporadic. Im sure Ill get to use the blower. We typically get 14 ft annually here. I dont think we broke 36 inches combined so far. Ill take the freebie as we are settling in this year anyway. I'm planning to do a greenhouse as, alas... I don't have the room for an inside grow.

Any of you guys ever have somebody heist your crop? Thats one of the best parts about being so remote. I doubt anybody will stumble on it and I'm hemmed in by large tracts of private land on all sides. My neighbor would just LOVE to find a tresspasser. We are all very like minded. "Fuck around and find out." Is a common sentiment around here.

I'm currently near Detrout right now because my wife is doing a new car lease and we are also visiting her two sons. I have to say all the hustle and bustle has me feeling a bit edgey. I'll be glad to get back home.

yrs ago i worked supplying remote mountain youth hostels. there was a chain of them all off grid. it was great to run supplies up and stay for a day or two. sadly the majority are shut now. a couple were hike in only.

We dont have much in the way of hardwood. Its mostly pine and spruce. I'm trying to find a good source of hardwood too. Pine burns fine, but I'd like a few cords of maple, birch, or oak every year as well.

poplar is good for heat but is soft and will burn quick.

pine causes a lot of build up and will need more chimney cleaning far sooner. pine burns too cool and has a lot of tar. there are a lot more chimney fires with pine than any other wood.

it's fine as long as you keep the chimney cleaned and alternate wood types you burn. edit : - and don't mix them. burn one type or the other, not both together.

birch is good for real cold nights cause it's dense and burns hot. it's also one of the best woods to cook/grill over.

Any of you guys ever have somebody heist your crop?

i have. it was almost an industry in it's own right for a while in the mid 90's.

a lot of production moved indoor around that time because of it. even though it was pre-legal, it changed the industry and established active hydro as the go to commercial method for the time. i never relied on outdoor but i haven't bothered since then.

Any of you guys ever have somebody heist your crop? Thats one of the best parts about being so remote. I doubt anybody will stumble on it and I'm hemmed in by large tracts of private land on all sides. My neighbor would just LOVE to find a tresspasser. We are all very like minded. "Fuck around and find out." Is a common sentiment around here.

I'm currently near Detrout right now because my wife is doing a new car lease and we are also visiting her two sons. I have to say all the hustle and bustle has me feeling a bit edgey. I'll be glad to get back home.
One time I went to check and my entire crop was gone. Was in private land, but nobody knew about it. The plants were still there, just all the branches were like twisted and ripped off. Not sure if it was rippers, or deer. Lol. Just that the deer didn't mess with them all summer, and they would just eat them in flower? Idk ...not even a leaf. Just some stalks and branches. And I hear ya, the cities drive me nuts. Make me anxious and edgy. And I'm not in Detroit. I'm from the MPLS area, and have to go back around there from time to time. Just gross. Or even worse, Duluth. That's a dump too. Not as bad as Detroit I imagine though.

One time I went to check and my entire crop was gone. Was in private land, but nobody knew about it. The plants were still there, just all the branches were like twisted and ripped off. Not sure if it was rippers, or deer. Lol. Just that the deer didn't mess with them all summer, and they would just eat them in flower? Idk ...not even a leaf. Just some stalks and branches. And I hear ya, the cities drive me nuts. Make me anxious and edgy. And I'm not in Detroit. I'm from the MPLS area, and have to go back around there from time to time. Just gross. Or even worse, Duluth. That's a dump too. Not as bad as Detroit I imagine though.

here the police would cut down larger outdoor grows and make a fuss but would leave their card on a single plant or small patch, to let the mom and pop folk know they were there. they wouldn't even bust it. just leave it to the grower to take the chance.

I lived in MN since 92 up near the border for 10 years and then down near Duluth. I hate Minneapolis, but Duluth sucks too. I just moved oit this way last fall. Too bad this is a liberal run state too. The majority of red states are all too hot or don't have enough forest and lakes for my taste. I lookaed at Alaska, but it was extremely expensive.

I officially became a Yooper about an hour and a half ago. I surrendered my MN license and got a MI license and plates. Officially changed residence to my MI address. Now I just have to finish emptying out my old place and sell it. I didn't realize how strongly I identified as a Minnesotan and how much pride I took in that identity. Its the end of an era.

I officially became a Yooper about an hour and a half ago. I surrendered my MN license and got a MI license and plates. Officially changed residence to my MI address. Now I just have to finish emptying out my old place and sell it. I didn't realize how strongly I identified as a Minnesotan and how much pride I took in that identity. Its the end of an era.
I learned not to identify with nothing. I know what you mean. The old East side, blah blah ....thinking back, they're all representing a shitty ass neighborhood. Even this plant. Yeah, I blaze hella trees, but I'm not just a stoner. I try not to associate who I am with any thing place or idea. Maybe that's my way of finding freedom. I'm me, and I'm a human. That's all. Lol

I have a 3 season porch/greenhouse with a full southern exposure on the south side of the guest cabin. I should be able to start the girls in there this spring and if I do any strains that have a longer finishing time I can do them in pots all summer and finish them in there this fall if I dont build a real greenhouse this year. Looking forward to the coming season.

That River photo looks like it’s just downstream from the upper Tahqua. Or is it the lower falls? New strain in peanut butter cookies. So confused.

I'm new to MI, so I don't know where that river is. Is it in the UP or the Mitten? I spent some time near Detroit (Macomb) over the last year as my wife had her home there. I still had my home in MN, so we went back and forth. It was a pain. We found a place that was remote and off grid (we wanted to go that route) roughly halfway between both places. We wanted to be close to both her sons as well as my son. This was a good compromise.

I want to try one outdoor autoflower this season. Locked up/out of reach here in the city. Or. Drive to bro in law’s and have it in his yard. Check on it twice a week June -August. Lot more sun there. More shade in my yard. But I will bring it inside if forecast has wet conditions predicted. Upper back deck. Morning sun there. Never have grown one outside. I have a large fabric bag that is 15-20 gallons. My Airpots are only 7 gallons. Enjoy the UP.

Back
Top Bottom