Gov's Pineapple Chunk Mars II Excursion

Governmentchz

Hey all. I've decided to pop a couple Barney's Farm Pineapple Chunk beans and run them the same way as the 8-ball kush last grow. The only differences planned are an 18/6 veg cycle (last time I ran 19/5), and I will be topping both and hopefully vegging for 6 weeks (last time I topped one and vegged both for 5 weeks).

I also decided to wait to start this journal until they had gotten through the seedling stage. Sometimes that can be monotonous to follow as a subscriber to the thread and as a grower, it's one of the most anxious times for me. So, I choose to crawl through that alone, lol. Today marks 2 weeks since they were germinated. and also marks the first feeding (as mild as it was).

Nutes: GH FloraDuo A&B (2ml, .5ml), CaliMagic (2ml). Total ppm were about 250, pH 5.8

In a nod to the "pineapple" name (and the indirect Hawaiian connection), I've named them...Paka, and Lolo. They already show slightly different characteristics , and while not as pronounced as the 8-balls were at the same point, I like the opportunity to see different phenotypes so randomly. Anyway, here are a few early pics of the girls...

pakalolo_tiki_hut.JPG

pakalolo_3_27_14.JPG

paka_3_27_14.JPG

lolo_3_31_14.JPG

I'll get some better pics and some under normal light sometime this weekend.

Hi chz, I think i have mentioned it in one of your previous journals, but I love your cabinet.
I'm subscribed and looking forward to your grow. Good luck man.;)

Subdiddleleubed. Excellent, another journey with the gov! Glad to see ya again man, can't wait.

Sorry gov I was watching Simpsons when I subbed, lol. Height of led? Looks higher than your last grow? Same line of nutrients? Peace man

Heya Grizz! Yes, I had never lowered the light from before and since lings are so susceptible and tender, I decided to germ them at that height (was 50"). I've since lowered it to 36" and will likely leave it there until very late in this grow. I am still using GH FD nutes, but this time I am planning on flipping the feeding chart and using the "expert" schedule. I figure, since I was happy with my last grow, I would retain the method and tweak some minor things. The changes are small, this time: I put tomato cages for training and support, I mixed only perlite with the remaining medium in my tub from my last mix. In my best estimate that makes my medium about 90/10 perlite/vermiculite, I germed straight into rapid rooter plugs, I adjusted the light schedule for veg by 1 hour (last grow was 19/5, this one 18/6), I plan on topping both plants once and training a bit more, and lastly, implementing bud back-building. That's about it.

As a note, I got a notice from my electric company and this week they are going to cut power to 6 houses in my neighborhood to replace a transformer. We are expected to be without power for at least 6 hours and possibly more. I have a small jenny all set and ready, but I won't be able to control temps so it could be, er...exciting.

Hi all, I didn't forget this journal. The early veg stage can be kinda boring, but the ladies are doing quite well. I will post an update Saturday with some pics. The biggest thing to report is I spent the last 2 days on generator power. One extension cord for the TV/cable box, one for the "office" and one for the fridge and one dongle for recharging cell phones etc,. Thankfully a mild cold front moved through and temps were stable and within normal limits over the 2 days. The buckets still have some water in their reservoirs, and the medium is getting pretty dry. This week or so where the plants want MORE, yet haven't reached the res are mildly anxious. Once they reach it, things settle in really well.

why do you put perlite all over the top of the soil?

It's almost 100% perlite. 90-10 perlite/ vermiculite hempys.

Glad you didn't forget about it gov, I've been checking in, lol peace.

Hi bigjack. Yes, these don't have perlite on top of soil. They are "hempy" buckets. Basically, it's the simplest form of hydroponic growing. No pumps or reservoir changes (I'm lazy), yet they finish a little more quickly than soil. I still have to monitor ppm and pH, but during early stages, I only have to feed 1x/wk. Once the roots hit the "reservoir" in the bottom, they usually start eating/drinking more and can require watering 3x/wk.

But yes, this method is easy and it works. People have done hempy grows in solo cups up to 10 gal pots (maybe larger, but I've not seen any). If you click on the link to the "completed" grow in my sig, the first page or so will explain it a bit more.

As promised! I came home and snapped a few pics. Again, they're doing well and although they haven't reached the res yet, those low 80"s temps helped the medium hold the moisture and the plants have loved it. I've a feeling they will start to kick off this next week, but it's my intention to top them both in the next few days once the next node has presented itself. Then another 2 weeks of veg and see what they look like...at least that's the plan.

Their home. Pardon the shitty images tonight, I had the settings all out of whack for another shoot earlier this week before I realized it.

Pakalolo_4_11_14.JPG

Paka_4_11_14.JPG

Paka2_4_11_14.JPG

Lolo_4_11_14.JPG

Lolo2_4_11_14.JPG

I'm feeding in the morning and I'll post their breakfast after.

:peace:

Looking great man, but then what else did I expect from the hempy master

With the tightness of the nodes under these lights, I had to put on my readin' spectacles to see it properly as I was going for the "top" and not the FIM.

Back
Top Bottom