Green Light Induces Shade Avoidance Symptoms

Hosebomber

I generally don't start topics but I felt complied to share this information. We have discussed panels with green LEDs and what uses they may have in this forum before. Some companies say it's required, some point to the NASA study as it suggesting green (when it actually suggest otherwise), some say it has no effect at all. Plant Physiology ® is an international journal devoted to physiology, biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology, genetics, biophysics, and environmental biology of plants. It is a very informative peer-reviewed magazine. In my research the other day I ran across this article and I felt that this knowledge is something to be shared.

In layman's terms, this article states that green light causes plants to act as if they are shaded (similarly to the addition of large amounts of Far Red). When green light is added even in amounts as small as 5% total light density plants become elongated, have thinner leaves, and larger inter-nodal spacing.

For those of you that like to research and are interesting in plant lighting and growth... Have fun. There is a solid 2-3 months of reading there in those links. Enjoy :reading420magazine:

Two of my panels have green LED's, recently I had to break up my panels so I can take a closer look at plant structure. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for posting this hosebomber, I am going to re-read it when I am more awake but seems that the quick one over I gave it suggests the addition of green light to a red/blue environment will cause the plants to stretch more, longer leafs and stems, and it suggests that it may even change the shade of the leaves slightly. Very interesting post!

Learning something new every day. Thanks for bombing the knowledge on us! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom