Growing a "Friendly"

People have referred to the reflector as "heavy duty work reflector" or "heavy duty work light"... try asking for that at local hardware store?

i wish i had one more light on her, but who knows... this really could change the whole game because it's only been with the new lights for a couple days... and it already looks like it's getting stronger and little new leafs are poking up...

I'm sure your girls will be fine... hit me back soon with feedback and updates on your journey and lemme know if you figure out anything important I should know...

Help f*** nooooo

IN A MATTER OF 3 HOURS OF THAT NEW SETUP, MY PLANT SHRIVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just watered her and pulled the lights back a lot!

OMG LOOK HELP SOMEONE!

IMG00352-20100309-1337.jpg

IMG00353-20100309-1337.jpg

Help f*** nooooo: Update

1030am - FINE

130pm - ALL SH*T BROKE LOOSE

430pm - This is where it stands...

advice? anyone had this shrivel experience?

3 things i've done in past few days:
  1. Got new lights that are on the right wavelength for the plant's stage
  2. added ferts
  3. this morning at 1030am, moved lights closer and added a 3rd one

Picture from 10:30 AM
day_23_closeup_3.jpg

Picture from 1:30 PM
IMG00353-20100309-1337.jpg

When I saw it had shriveled... i quickly moved all lights up from it... turned off the 3rd new light... and turned off the fan... and watered the little girl with regular water... then said FML

Pictures from 4:30 PM
IMG00356-20100309-1635.jpg

IMG00355-20100309-1635.jpg

IMG00357-20100309-1635.jpg

God I hope she gets better... anyone have ANY advice please let me know...

I hate to say it but id point at the ferts or water for the problem your having. I doubt another light would make that happen. If anything the plant looks like its gone into shock which ive found can happen rapidly with a seedling. Sadly i dont know how to cure this particular problem with a seedling other then falling back on other seedlings. I wish i could be more help but im sure im in the right direction for whats wrong. Hope everything works out for you though. And im digging the setup.

I hate to say it but id point at the ferts or water for the problem your having. I doubt another light would make that happen. If anything the plant looks like its gone into shock which ive found can happen rapidly with a seedling. Sadly i dont know how to cure this particular problem with a seedling other then falling back on other seedlings. I wish i could be more help but im sure im in the right direction for whats wrong. Hope everything works out for you though. And im digging the setup.

I think it's probably a mix of the nutrients from the ferts sucking water out of the plant, i was doing less watering because i thought i was overwatering it... and then the new setup at 1030 was so much closer and added a new light... it was actually warmer than i expected when i closed it... so i think it was like a sauna in there without enough water for the leafs...

here's a before and after from when i found it shriveled and 3 hours after that... the only thing i did between the two times was water it well and pull the lights further away and turn off the fan

130_to_430_change.jpg

and that's after only a 3 hour change.... sadly the same amount of time it took from great to shitty...

If your temps are high you can leave the lights up a little, but I would guess it's the nutes. I can't say for sure but she looks pretty small for feeding anything but water.

If your temps are high you can leave the lights up a little, but I would guess it's the nutes. I can't say for sure but she looks pretty small for feeding anything but water.

pretty sure she's gonna die... not as green as i'd hope she'd look... and still very curled up... no more ferts for a long time if she even comes back...i hope she's more resilient...

I wouldn't give up on her yet but it might be a good idea to start finding more seeds. Since you don't know if they will be male or female, it's a good idea to start several. That way it's not such a tragedy if some don't make it or you get a male. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! The satisfaction of smoking something you grew can't be matched. Just keep reading, learning and trying. :peace:

I wouldn't give up on her yet but it might be a good idea to start finding more seeds. Since you don't know if they will be male or female, it's a good idea to start several. That way it's not such a tragedy if some don't make it or you get a male. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! The satisfaction of smoking something you grew can't be matched. Just keep reading, learning and trying. :peace:

I have one more seed. I could have done both but i was scared something like this would happen and i also didn't want to deal with having more than one responsibility.

Feel bad for it... hope she springs back...

Mojo....the best advice I could give you for your next grow is get different soil (a high peat soil tends to have a low pH and that isn't good) The other more important advice I would give is don't fertilize at ALL until the plant has at least 3-4 sets of leaves. The little seedling has tender roots that are very succeptable to nutrient burn. Also pay close attention to the mix rate and start out feeding at 1/2 to 1/4 strength. General rule of thumb.....less is better than more. Millions of plants of all types are killed by kindness.

Mojo....the best advice I could give you for your next grow is get different soil (a high peat soil tends to have a low pH and that isn't good) The other more important advice I would give is don't fertilize at ALL until the plant has at least 3-4 sets of leaves. The little seedling has tender roots that are very succeptable to nutrient burn. Also pay close attention to the mix rate and start out feeding at 1/2 to 1/4 strength. General rule of thumb.....less is better than more. Millions of plants of all types are killed by kindness.

okay thank you for the advice!... i certainly hope someone out there has seen a plant bounce back from worse! :-(

I'd say it was heat man.. You're dropping the amount of air that can hit that plant by building that triangle out of the lights.. Less air + more heat = bad. How many CFMs are you moving out of the box?

Also to point out, everyone is saying nuets... I have not seen plant damage like that in 3 hours from nuets but I have from heat.

I'd say it was heat man.. You're dropping the amount of air that can hit that plant by building that triangle out of the lights.. Less air + more heat = bad. How many CFMs are you moving out of the box?

Also to point out, everyone is saying nuets... I have not seen plant damage like that in 3 hours from nuets but I have from heat.

thank you! i swear, the 3 hour fact is what is driving me crazy...i added a 3rd light AND moved them so much closer... u can see the different setup between the two... 3 hours for that little thing must have been hell...

is there anything i can do?!

have you seen any plants bounce back from something like that?!

the leafs aren't like...burnt to a crisp...they're just a little dry and shriveled... i watered it really good and pull the lights much further away... do u think i should have the fan on it? off it and just circulating air? or just off completely for a bit...

I've kept fans on mine from day one, but when they were seedlings, I just had a very low CFM computer fan blowing on them. The base stems on mine are bigger around then my thumb now. I'll put up some pics of the new bankrupt cab tonight and some pics of the ladies stems to show ya.

I've kept fans on mine from day one, but when they were seedlings, I just had a very low CFM computer fan blowing on them. The base stems on mine are bigger around then my thumb now. I'll put up some pics of the new bankrupt cab tonight and some pics of the ladies stems to show ya.

all i have is a tornado small fan... i was just barely pointing it at the plant so it's not like it's in a wind storm... but should i have it on now? i feel like im gonna possibly blow leafs off

You need to get a thermometer in there a.s.a.p. As scifi mentioned the shape your reflectors make, heat could be the culprit. A fan that size should keep enough air moving across to keep it cool enough unless your temp in the cab is high. She will still grow with the lights farther away,better safe than sorry. But I would get a thermometer, wally world or most home improvement stores have digital temp and RH gauges for about $10. The more info you are able to provide, the easier it will be to figure out any issues. Even if it's not nutes, I would abstain from giving any more until she's a little bigger and healthier. :peace:

Also, keep the fan on. Just blow it above the plant, more on the lights to cool them and keep some air circulating.

I don't know. It could be heat, but if you water/fertilize your plants with a toxic level it will put the hurt on them QUICK!. I hope it bounces back, but if you are using cfls I would be surprised if it was the heat that killed them. Just my opinion.

I don't know. It could be heat, but if you water/fertilize your plants with a toxic level it will put the hurt on them QUICK!. I hope it bounces back, but if you are using cfls I would be surprised if it was the heat that killed them. Just my opinion.

trust me i thought it was the ferts but if u see my optimistic new setup with the new lights and then 3 hours later the chaos i saw... you'd see more of a correlation in that...

I did the ferts yesterday so i assume the results wouldn't have been that night and day between 10am and 1pm today... you know?

God i hope it comes back... the before and after i just gave is somewhat promising and i started the fan over it...

as far as the vibrating look goes, i'm sure it's just cuz i'm using a blackberry to take the pics and the plant is too small for it to decide that that's where the focus needs to adjust to when taking a picture...

Please, if anyone is reading this journal and has overheated their plant, let me know if this was the result and if u were able to fix it...

Thank you to everyone for the concern and troubleshooting... you've been more than supportive... i'm quite depressed bout the little girl... :-/

Back
Top Bottom