Growing A Legend: An Auto Tribute To Jack Herer

I think Fly (and the rest of us) now has the information and tools to be able to grow like the pros. :high-five:

Fly, get some good pH and EC instruments, and why not try the PourThru method out on your new grow. I know I am. I’m not sure that LOS growers should remain blissfully ignorant either. Having experience in that camp, I know first-hand that pH/EC issues often do occur.

Snapped a couple shots in the barn this morning...
Noticing a drastic change in bud density from just lowering my lights. I have been on a fluffy nug streak lately. I'm actually getting ready to replace my LED panels with MH (HID) fixtures. Lowering my lights was the inexpensive option, so we'll see how this harvest turns out before I spend that $$$.

Now... on to the next question. Good home remedy foliar spray to kill gnats? I've tried some watered down dish soap, and another natural foliar spray but these fuckers are resilient.
H202 and water. 1 to 4 for the soil / medium. Fly traps for adults

I’m not sure that LOS growers should remain blissfully ignorant either. Having experience in that camp, I know first-hand that pH/EC issues often do occur.

I don't test my soil, but I have confidence since it supports thriving communities of red worms. Supplemented with some neutral media such as Pro-Mix and coco, autos thrive their entire run without additional notes (I supplement photos towards the end since theirs is a longer timeline).

I highly recommend vermicomposting for anyone interested. You can set up 2-3 bins in an out of the way spot. I use the old soil from past grows as a base media , then toss in some veggie peels and coffee grounds every week. Conversion process takes about 3 months. Then I use the worms from the winter indoor set up and seed my dozen outdoor bins after I use the overwintered Vermi-Soil (® :cool:) for summer crop. Compared to buying all those fancy bagged soils, the cost is actually much lower and you have a truly living soil.

I don't test my soil, but I have confidence since it supports thriving communities of red worms. Supplemented with some neutral media such as Pro-Mix and coco, autos thrive their entire run without additional notes (I supplement photos towards the end since theirs is a longer timeline).

I highly recommend vermicomposting for anyone interested. You can set up 2-3 bins in an out of the way spot. I use the old soil from past grows as a base media , then toss in some veggie peels and coffee grounds every week. Conversion process takes about 3 months. Then I use the worms from the winter indoor set up and seed my dozen outdoor bins after I use the overwintered Vermi-Soil (® :cool:) for summer crop. Compared to buying all those fancy bagged soils, the cost is actually much lower and you have a truly living soil.
Lol I always like how people recommend composting and are like, "Throw in veggie peels or coffee grounds," but neither of these items ever even makes it into my household haha

Lol I always like how people recommend composting and are like, "Throw in veggie peels or coffee grounds," but neither of these items ever even makes it into my household haha

I would say throw in some Doritos or Cheetos, but there never seems to be any of those leftover.

No coffee? Is that some kind of self-punishment? (You can also add used tea bags if you swing that way...)

I would say throw in some Doritos or Cheetos, but there never seems to be any of those leftover.

No coffee? Is that some kind of self-punishment? (You can also add used tea bags if you swing that way...)
Lol I wish I could drink coffee, but that stuff sets my stomach off incredibly bad. I can drink tea but just... Don't for some reason haha

I'm practically a meatatarian, I just have cheese and meat all over. I try to eat some fruits in smoothies, but they're all frozen and so I don't really get any skins. Except I'm probably going to start a vegetable garden for my girlfriend this spring. I wanted something to grow and she just got diagnosed with gal bladder issues and can only eat fruits/veggies now, so it's a win-win.

Also trying to block out some of the sun on my south facing wall. I'm thinking of finding some stuff that will grow on trellises, so I can put them up against the wall to get all that sun, and hopefully keep my apartment a little cooler. The heat gets unbearable, I probably won't grow indoors this summer again. It turns my living room into a 85-90 degree cauldron all day and night, and makes me have to run my A/Cs so much that it blows fuses. I decided it was just too much to deal with, especially when I get sick and dehydrated and shit from it.

Without needing a trellis, hollyhocks grow nice and tall planted directly into the Earth or in planters. They are strong and they don't Harbor a lot of pests.

Lol I wish I could drink coffee, but that stuff sets my stomach off incredibly bad. I can drink tea but just... Don't for some reason haha

I had a deal for a while with the local donut shop to get their used coffee grounds...I'd leave 2-3 five gallon buckets and they would fill them up during the week. I eventually got lazy and bailed on that deal, but I was surprised that no one else was asking them for it. Coffee grounds are one of the highest N composting inputs (which is why you hear it all the time).

Also trying to block out some of the sun on my south facing wall. I'm thinking of finding some stuff that will grow on trellises, so I can put them up against the wall to get all that sun, and hopefully keep my apartment a little cooler.

Investigate a sun shade....even a trellis will allow your wall to absorb heat (into the night) ...sunshade keeps the area and wall cool...and maybe gives you some cover for an outside grow as well..

Fly...... congratulations on your member of the month nomination. You can count on my vote buddy.

I had a deal for a while with the local donut shop to get their used coffee grounds...I'd leave 2-3 five gallon buckets and they would fill them up during the week. I eventually got lazy and bailed on that deal, but I was surprised that no one else was asking them for it. Coffee grounds are one of the highest N composting inputs (which is why you hear it all the time).

Investigate a sun shade....even a trellis will allow your wall to absorb heat (into the night) ...sunshade keeps the area and wall cool...and maybe gives you some cover for an outside grow as well..
Yeah I've been thinking about something like that too. Some kind of awning or something? My landlord gave me the okay to install something, but I just don't really have the first clue about any of that stuff. I was going to get some bamboo roll-up shades and just hang them off the eve of the roof with some nails, since that didn't seem like much weight or like, a real "intrusive" installation. I see those more elaborate looking ones with frames and shit that you roll out and don't think that would be up my alley.

Whatever I plant there will end up doing great with all that sun. All I have to worry about is not running stuff over because my car is parked literally 4 feet over. I kind of didn't intend to grow anything I actually wanted to eat out there for that reason. I try to be as clean as I can when working on MY car, but the neighbors and past tenants, who knows. So I'm sure there's oil run off in there.

Some kind of awning or something.. but I just don't really have the first clue about any of that stuff. I was going to get some bamboo roll-up shades and just hang them off the eve of the roof with some nails, since that didn't seem like much weight or like, a real "intrusive" installation. I see those more elaborate looking ones with frames and shit that you roll out and don't think that would be up my alley.

Type in "sun shade" in Amazon and you will see many options. Nice thing with these is 1) they install with eye hooks at 3 or 4 points (whether you opt for triangle or rectangle) 2) they allow anywhere from 20-50% of the light to get through 3) They provide added privacy. 4) Some rain will run off, but since it is a shade it most likely is made of porous material and rain will run through it 5) They are generally not a lot of $ (I just bought a 20'x16' for $60)

Whatever I plant there will end up doing great with all that sun. All I have to worry about is not running stuff over because my car is parked literally 4 feet over. I kind of didn't intend to grow anything I actually wanted to eat out there for that reason.

Pots :)

I could fill a dumpster with the discarded coffee grounds from my house. LoL

Hey all. Had me a nice do-nuttin' day yesterday. Weather got some appointments cancelled and stuff. We seem to have a big pile of snow at the end of the lane now. Hmmmm.

All in all, with the slack winter we've had that's now almost over, we're doing pretty good though.

Fly...... congratulations on your member of the month nomination. You can count on my vote buddy.
Thanks Guy. Didn't even know I was on the list till you told me. I'd have found out when I went to vote though, I guess haha.

Without needing a trellis, hollyhocks grow nice and tall planted directly into the Earth or in planters. They are strong and they don't Harbor a lot of pests.
This spring I'm going to plant a row of sunflowers and hide some plants on the south side of them.

I could use my salmon compost to seed something like that. I've been throwing old soil into the ditch to get it going for the spring. No additives though.

Type in "sun shade" in Amazon and you will see many options. Nice thing with these is 1) they install with eye hooks at 3 or 4 points (whether you opt for triangle or rectangle) 2) they allow anywhere from 20-50% of the light to get through 3) They provide added privacy. 4) Some rain will run off, but since it is a shade it most likely is made of porous material and rain will run through it 5) They are generally not a lot of $ (I just bought a 20'x16' for $60)

Pots :)
True, but I didn't wanna have to buy more pots lol My house looks like I'm trying to start a nursery :p My neighbors have a little wine barrel cut in half they fill up that looks like it'd be nice to use.

Hey Blew! :high-five:
Love your greenhouse! :love: Mine is new to me, and I’m still figuring out how to control the environment.

Yeah, I am definitely into composting and feeding the worms. I am currently down to 3 compost piles (~3’ dia. x ~5’H) full of cannabis leaves, coffee grounds, banana peels, avocado skins, and other veg scraps, as well as leaves, grass, and other yard trimmings. I use this to top dress all the beds and outdoor pots.

But I have had rotten experience using it in indoor plants. There’s just too much life in it! I would find beetles and other bugs elsewhere in the house. Plus there were fungus gnats galore! The wife was not amused.

Well, for a grow in a small tent, without predators to help keep the critters down, I can just imagine a constant battle to keep things from getting out of control. How do you deal with that in the greenhouse?

Anyway, I am planning a greenhouse grow, and was considering using some of my compost for that (pending how to deal with pests). I was also concerned about the N being too much for Autos. It’s good to hear positive experiences from others about growing Autos with this method.

Keep ‘em growing! :yummy::yummy:

Hey Blew!
Love your greenhouse! :love: Mine is new to me, and I’m still figuring out how to control the environment.

Thanks. I have been "learning" on my GH for years!

Yeah, I am definitely into composting and feeding the worms. I am currently down to 3 compost piles (~3’ dia. x ~5’H) full of cannabis leaves, coffee grounds, banana peels, avocado skins, and other veg scraps, as well as leaves, grass, and other yard trimmings. I use this to top dress all the beds and outdoor pots. But I have had rotten experience using it in indoor plants. There’s just too much life in it!

I have similar composting piles that are for only outdoor use. I like the vermicomposting soil because the worms ultimately stabilize the soil to ideal condition. Equally, there is not a lot of other critters in there. One other thing I add in my worm bins is all our egg shells. Worms need the grit to process bacteria and the shells also add calcium to soil.

Well, for a grow in a small tent, without predators to help keep the critters down, I can just imagine a constant battle to keep things from getting out of control. How do you deal with that in the greenhouse?

That's why I like to keep it simple with what I put in the worm bins: coffee grounds, egg shells, potato/carrot/cucumber peels...and that's about it. I throw our dryer lint in there as well. Fruit peels attract fruit flys, as I learned the hard way. I have zero pest or smell issues. Also have had no real issues with pests in the GH

Anyway, I am planning a greenhouse grow, and was considering using some of my compost for that (pending how to deal with pests). I was also concerned about the N being too much for Autos. It’s good to hear positive experiences from others about growing Autos with this method.

You could always cut the compost with a neutral media and see how they react.

Back
Top Bottom