Growing A Legend: An Auto Tribute To Jack Herer

Your jack is hangin in there Fert. I think she will push out a bit more growth before she starts throwing pistils.
Van, what do you think about the fact it's not showing any fertilization issues? I've been thinking that this batch of soil is too hot given what the Panama x Malawi girls are doing in it, but looking at the Jack Herer, it doesn't seem to be having any problems. I know its roots are into the 5 gallon pot's soil by now, because they respond to watering of the main pot, and the solo cup soil hasn't been getting any water except from what it can wick up from the main pot. So it seems like the Jack Herer is liking that soil, and the Panama x Malawi aren't, and I don't know what to make of that. I think the obvious difference is how small the Jack Herer is, and so I'm wondering if as it gets bigger, it will start having deficiencies. I think if it did that would solve once and for all if it's too-rich or too-lean soil, but I don't really want to waste the weeks it would take to determine that.

This pic might say a thousand words. Same soil for all these plants.

Well I have heard of strains that don't like 'hot soil' and for some reason I have heard those african landrace strains are some of the lighter feeders. Could very well just be a strain issue that is a very light feeder.

That is one of the reasons I layer my soil. My stank soil is on the bottom half of the pot. The middle of the soil is about a 50/50 mix of my Stank Soil mixed with Coco-loco so its not as hot if they don't need it. Then the top 3rd is just Coco Loco. I like this method for the unknown reason of dealing with lighter feeders.

Here is my thought process on it......If the plant doesn't want a shit ton of stuff from the Stank Soil....I need to give it some options. The Coco-Loco has a little but of stuff in it so its a good source for them to feed lightly and get water they need. The middle layer lets them stay in between the two, and then if they are ready they can root down into the Stank soil.
Seems to work really well for me. I need to go in slightly bigger pots because of this method but I can deal with that.

Well I have heard of strains that don't like 'hot soil' and for some reason I have heard those african landrace strains are some of the lighter feeders. Could very well just be a strain issue that is a very light feeder.

That is one of the reasons I layer my soil. My stank soil is on the bottom half of the pot. The middle of the soil is about a 50/50 mix of my Stank Soil mixed with Coco-loco so its not as hot if they don't need it. Then the top 3rd is just Coco Loco. I like this method for the unknown reason of dealing with lighter feeders.

Here is my thought process on it......If the plant doesn't want a shit ton of stuff from the Stank Soil....I need to give it some options. The Coco-Loco has a little but of stuff in it so its a good source for them to feed lightly and get water they need. The middle layer lets them stay in between the two, and then if they are ready they can root down into the Stank soil.
Seems to work really well for me. I need to go in slightly bigger pots because of this method but I can deal with that.
Yeah I was thinking about your layering techniques because I was thinking maybe it was just doing so well because of its solo-cup plug of Sunshine Mix #4/EWC, but I haven't watered down through the solo cup in quite some time now so the only moisture it would be getting is what it's wicking up from the other soil, and so I can't imagine how the roots wouldn't be getting some water from the soil that's in the 5 gallon bucket. If that's the case, and it was too rich, I think I'd be seeing some signs in the Jack Herer. But then again maybe it's just getting everything it needs from the solo-cup; only thing that makes me doubt that is that EWC and Sunshine Mix #4 wouldn't be very nutritious for it.

Most of the growth in my autos came after pistils. They got close to three times the size.
I hope that will be true for mine....i keep thinking "shit she can't flower yet she's so small". Hope I get another week of growth!

Most of the growth in my autos came after pistils. They got close to three times the size.

Interesting. I guess autos really are different. Honestly I would have expected to see some pistils by now on a photoperiod at 12/12 from seed.

I'm curious to see how mine will grow into the space I've provided.

Dropping by....

I think I finally have her feed levels going better. She's been on 24 7 light. And I'll search for the training rock to lean her over soon! Not sure she's healthy enough for a top..... So lst it is!

I hope that will be true for mine....i keep thinking "shit she can't flower yet she's so small". Hope I get another week of growth!
Maybe this will help...
My first plant on day 18 (blueberry auto)
20170527_164454.jpg

Day 33 (just showing pistils):
IMG_56038.JPG

The same plant on day 83, just before harvest (~24"):
20170731_075214.jpg

There is my Jack in the group shot today at 28 days from cracking the soil. She is starting to really pick up steam. Keeping her spread low and wide. Will do a bit more training on her tomorrow. She is the in the front row.

There is my Jack in the group shot today at 28 days from cracking the soil. She is starting to really pick up steam. Keeping her spread low and wide. Will do a bit more training on her tomorrow. She is the in the front row.

In that little cup? I thought she'd be bigger by now :p

What's that stack of books you got there?

Both my "Northern Jack" and "Alien Jack" threw pistils during the Blizzard (13th)...just around 30 days.

Congrats on the MOTM nom Flytie :goodjob:, but your plants don't always fall in the range of normal growth! You seem to specialize in unintentional bonsai :).
Thanks Shed. Good thing MOTM nom's have nothing to do with growing skills. Must be my natural charm and wit or something like that. Beats me.

In that little cup? I thought she'd be bigger by now :p

What's that stack of books you got there?
Well the book on top is a Biography on Pat Tillman after his death a decade + ago.

I am an avid reader (though admittedly, most of my reading in the last year has been cannabis related) but Ms Stank and I made a pact to start reading outside of cannabis and 420 site more again.

No, the little cup is the northern lights I dropped about a week and a half ago. Next to that is the Jack, in the 10 gallon pot.

Thanks Shed. Good thing MOTM nom's have nothing to do with growing skills. Must be my natural charm and wit or something like that. Beats me.
Congrats on your nomination Fly! Well deserved brother!

I am an avid reader (though admittedly, most of my reading in the last year has been cannabis related) but Ms Stank and I made a pact to start reading outside of cannabis and 420 site more again.

Lights Out - Ted Koppel. Quick, easy read but relevant to the recent power outage in your area.

Well the book on top is a Biography on Pat Tillman after his death a decade + ago.

No, the little cup is the northern lights I dropped about a week and a half ago. Next to that is the Jack, in the 10 gallon pot.
lol I know I'm just being a smartass, brother :p She's looking nice and big, what kind of light you got her under again? Maybe some day I'll be able to grow some that big under a nice light. I'm toying with the idea of going outdoor, but there's some logistics that need worked out to do it right. Biggest problem right now is I can't start until June or July so I'd miss a good chunk of the growing season.

Oh interesting. Yeah I'm trying to get more into reading too, but mostly it just seems like good decoration to have a bookshelf full of books. Makes me look sophisticated haha The last non-fiction ones I've read were better than the fiction, though a little dreary. "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander, "Between the world and Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates, and "A People's History of the United States: 1492 to present" by Howard Zinn. Fiction was some award-winning novel called "Salvage the Bones," but I thought it was kind of crap. I don't read much fiction, but I got into some of James Baldwin's short stories. Been meaning to crack open his non-fiction, but I'm kind of looking for something a little more upbeat.

Back
Top Bottom