Growing A Legend: An Auto Tribute To Jack Herer

Everythings so quiet. I think i can hear Fertilizer sanding the shell off his seed!

Van Stank interesting pot you got. You mentioned your plans for it early on. I'm not surprised its a interesting idea. What does confuse me is that no one tried to counter your pot with 1 that is short and wide. My plants always end up as wide as their pots. Would a wider plant produce more?

Van Stank interesting pot you got. You mentioned your plans for it early on. I'm not surprised its a interesting idea. What does confuse me is that no one tried to counter your pot with 1 that is short and wide. My plants always end up as wide as their pots. Would a wider plant produce more?
We'll see how a tall skinny 6L airpot works in a few weeks. I love Van's idea of 7 gal, but it may be a bit overkill. But he knows this stuff better than me and I trust that his setup will produce a kickass plant.

Fuck, the party went on here straight throughout the day and when I signed off the party died. Flattering, but not necessary hah!

I was talking to a guy at work this morning and he said out loud what I've been thinking about. I think when the greenhouse is done I'm going to go fully aquaponic. I already have almost everything now from scrounging a couple years ago. I could use either goldfish or, preferably, trout.

Have you not seen my last auto grow? Here is the pic I submitted for Photo of the Month - January:

20171231_120446cr.jpg

I did not win, but I take my bugs very seriously too!

Damn It man get you some Praying Mantis , them SOBs like some bugs!! Around here they come to the outside plants (not the Veggies ) I have even had them long enough to make there baby's (shell)

I was talking to a guy at work this morning and he said out loud what I've been thinking about. I think when the greenhouse is done I'm going to go fully aquaponic. I already have almost everything now from scrounging a couple years ago. I could use either goldfish or, preferably, trout.

I'm excited to see that!!

Everythings so quiet. I think i can hear Fertilizer sanding the shell off his seed!

Hey, he wasn't supposed to tell you that he was doing that! Fert, stop sharing our secrets!

We'll see how a tall skinny 6L airpot works in a few weeks. I love Van's idea of 7 gal, but it may be a bit overkill. But he knows this stuff better than me and I trust that his setup will produce a kickass plant.

Fuck, the party went on here straight throughout the day and when I signed off the party died. Flattering, but not necessary hah!

My 7 gallon might be a little bit overkill but soil is something I have plenty of....I figure I will give her every opportunity to get as big is she can! More roots bigger shoots!

Trout huh? And would you just eat them when they got to a certain size?

Hey, he wasn't supposed to tell you that he was doing that! Fert, stop sharing our secrets!

My 7 gallon might be a little bit overkill but soil is something I have plenty of....I figure I will give her every opportunity to get as big is she can! More roots bigger shoots!

Trout huh? And would you just eat them when they got to a certain size?
Oh i would imagine. I know how to do that better than plants. I have unlimited access to feed and scattered accessories. Maybe not fully aqua, but certainly halfway anyway.

I absolutely love trout. Pops and I would always hunt and fish colorado and idaho every fall. We would go out a week before hunting season to scout and look for game.....but we always fished that first week. We would fish the morning, eat fresh caught rainbow and cutthroat trout thrown in aluminum foil with a little butter and fresh garlic and then go scout the surrounding areas for sign of Elk or Deer and then fish the evening hours and repeat with the cooking. Nothing like a fish still flopping going over the open flames, my god that is good.

I remember a small lake I was fishing....it was a bitch to get to. I had to climb up a really steep pass of really loose rocks and then down that loose stuff to the lake. Anyways, I was fishing my way around the lake and I came to a fallen tree.....halfway in the lake/pond and halfway sticking out. There was a branch sticking out about 2 feet above the water and there was a huge dragon fly that was sitting on it. Well I am casting away around the surrounding area with a Panther Martin spinner and I see this flash out of the corner of my eye and a see a fish land under the branch with the dragon fly on it. So I make my way down to see what was going on.

I decided to sit on a stump and watch that area and I was really rewarded. I watched a big rainbow trout (probably 20+inches long) sit under that dragon fly and patiently watch it.....and it would slowly rise to the surface and jump and try to catch the dragon fly in mid air. Over and over I watched his. My dad made his way around to me from the other side and confused why I wasn't fished. I told him to pull up a log and just watch. We sat there for an hour watching that stubborn trout chase that damn dragon fly laughing our asses off. We made a small fire, cooked up a couple of its brothers and sisters and enjoyed watching that. Good times. It was also my first time ever catching a Splake Trout on that trip (different lake).

I think when the greenhouse is done I'm going to go fully aquaponic. I could use either goldfish or, preferably, trout.

Been there, killed that. Trout need a tight temp window of 50-60F which is near impossible (short of super expensive cooling systems) within a GH. I swiftly and effectively killed all 20 in 2 days when I went camping with the kids overnight and came back to bouillabaisse in my GH. Goldfish are MUCH easier, cheaper, friendlier...all around the choice especially if you are trying to run aquaponics in a GH. If you have an outdoor spring fed pond that keeps the temps solid year round...awesome for fish farming (as you well know). But water temps in a GH mimic air temps...which vary widely. I have had goldfish under ice in the GH tank as well at @ 95F. They cost $7 for 20 and pennies to feed. I have had many of mine for over 4 years. In Maine, it is a $10k fine PER koi...no shit....because they are invasive. But goldfish, closely related to koi but sold in pet stores, are not. I had a Maine license, inspection, etc from Maine for the trout....total nightmare.

Tilapia? (since that's your next question) They are African and need warmer water than 60F preferably. I checked my tank temp just yesterday and it was 45F (and I had many 100F+ days in the last week since it was sunny). I was thinking of starting the circulation of the tank early for the JH but I need temps of 55F or higher to get an effective organic conversion of fish waste....

Goldfish...all day.

I absolutely love trout. Pops and I would always hunt and fish colorado and idaho every fall. We would go out a week before hunting season to scout and look for game.....but we always fished that first week. We would fish the morning, eat fresh caught rainbow and cutthroat trout thrown in aluminum foil with a little butter and fresh garlic and then go scout the surrounding areas for sign of Elk or Deer and then fish the evening hours and repeat with the cooking. Nothing like a fish still flopping going over the open flames, my god that is good.

I remember a small lake I was fishing....it was a bitch to get to. I had to climb up a really steep pass of really loose rocks and then down that loose stuff to the lake. Anyways, I was fishing my way around the lake and I came to a fallen tree.....halfway in the lake/pond and halfway sticking out. There was a branch sticking out about 2 feet above the water and there was a huge dragon fly that was sitting on it. Well I am casting away around the surrounding area with a Panther Martin spinner and I see this flash out of the corner of my eye and a see a fish land under the branch with the dragon fly on it. So I make my way down to see what was going on.

I decided to sit on a stump and watch that area and I was really rewarded. I watched a big rainbow trout (probably 20+inches long) sit under that dragon fly and patiently watch it.....and it would slowly rise to the surface and jump and try to catch the dragon fly in mid air. Over and over I watched his. My dad made his way around to me from the other side and confused why I wasn't fished. I told him to pull up a log and just watch. We sat there for an hour watching that stubborn trout chase that damn dragon fly laughing our asses off. We made a small fire, cooked up a couple of its brothers and sisters and enjoyed watching that. Good times. It was also my first time ever catching a Splake Trout on that trip (different lake).

Nice relaxing story. I was able to picture it all as I read it. It reminded me of a picture I have posted on my DeviantArt gallery flytier (Al Osmond) | DeviantArt (lots of variety and well ordered). But this was a swimming break when we were fishing for smallmouth and pickerel on the St. Croix River bordering NB and ME. The water was warm as piss; we had the lifejackets on and floated and tried to fish like it but the lifejacket rode up too high.

So the guy I was fishing with was my best friend and boss, and every minute we had we were fishing or hunting or something. He was in the boat getting ready to fish again and I was about 25 feet off from the boat and on my way back in and this dragonfly landed on me - he didn't hover or do fly-bys, he just came in and landed. I made my way back to the boat with him there and called out to get my camera ready (to my friend, not the dragonfly). When I got back to the boat he was still on me and we got the picture. Pretty cool
don_t_bug_me_by_flytier.jpg

Been there, killed that. Trout need a tight temp window of 50-60F which is near impossible (short of super expensive cooling systems) within a GH. I swiftly and effectively killed all 20 in 2 days when I went camping with the kids overnight and came back to bouillabaisse in my GH. Goldfish are MUCH easier, cheaper, friendlier...all around the choice especially if you are trying to run aquaponics in a GH. If you have an outdoor spring fed pond that keeps the temps solid year round...awesome for fish farming (as you well know). But water temps in a GH mimic air temps...which vary widely. I have had goldfish under ice in the GH tank as well at @ 95F. They cost $7 for 20 and pennies to feed. I have had many of mine for over 4 years. In Maine, it is a $10k fine PER koi...no shit. Because they are invasive. But goldfish, closely related to koi but sold in pet stores, are not. I had a Maine license, inspection, etc from Maine for the trout....total nightmare.

Tilapia? (since that's your next question) They are African and need warmer water than 60F preferably. I checked my tank temp just yesterday and it was 45F (and I had many 100F+ days in the last week since it was sunny). I was thinking of starting the circulation of the tank early for the JH but I need temps of 55F or higher to get an effective organic conversion of fish waste....

Goldfish...all day.

And that's why goldies are on my pick of choices, their resistance and their resilience. As for tilapia, I don't know where I'd get any of those guys other than the pet store in the city and I ain't paying those prices for them - although they are pretty tasty.

And that's why goldies are on my pick of choices, their resistance and their resilience. As for tilapia, I don't know where I'd get any of those guys other than the pet store in the city and I ain't paying those prices for them - although they are pretty tasty.

Although if I were to use trout I'd hook it into the water line coming into the house and run it as a semi flow-through, regulating the temperature that way. The trailer park draws well water so it'll be about 6 deg C in the winter and somewhat more in the summer but it should work, and I have an idea for an aeration system. I work with 10-15 million fish every year in a big motherfucker system. I can make a dozen fish work.

And Blew, are you anywhere near Bingham, down past Skowhegan? The company I work for (name withheld for obvious reasons) has a hatchery down there and I was down there a few times when it belonged to the previous owners. The old feller that owned the motor inn where we were staying used to go out to Colorado hunting a lot. We gave him some salmon one year that were kind of the rejects - we were down there spawning salmon and they weren't ready to spawn. Since I was working for the salmon genetics program at the time, these were the rejects and we got to take them home with us. But yeah, we gave the old guy a couple and he gave us some Colorado elk burger to bring back here with us. And with the company credit card at the store/gas station we went to, a two-four of beer, on the sales receipt, was listed as leaded gas! And in a stripmall in Skowhegan, there was a Chinese restaurant with an absolutely beautiful Chinese lady working there. I remember that too.

I've had a couple smokes now and I'm rambling.

Sanded, stained and varnished! :D

Just wrestling with a printer today. I tossed a completely good one thinking the rollers just suck, come to find out it's the paper I have that it was having trouble picking up, and now the older printer I pulled out will pick up the paper but something is wrong with the print-heads on the ink cartridges. Wouldn't ya know it, fresh out of rubbing alcohol to clean them with. So that's been my day so far.

I've been adding stuff to my watering systems as well. I put little shut-off valves on and another little line so I can take samples off a tap and recirculate stuff in them. I've been having some kind of issue with my soil, I don't know if it's my water quality or what, but hopefully having the reservoirs pH'd all proper will help and the Jack won't see the same issues my Panama x Malawi have.

I'm thinking about trying out coco next go around. Already got the drip-system put together that I'd need for it, and I still have a ton of hydro nutrients from when I was running synthetic nutrients. Give it a try while a new batch of soil is cooking up, because I think if I want to continue doing soil I'm going to whip up a new batch.

Sanded, stained and varnished! :D

Just wrestling with a printer today. I tossed a completely good one thinking the rollers just suck, come to find out it's the paper I have that it was having trouble picking up, and now the older printer I pulled out will pick up the paper but something is wrong with the print-heads on the ink cartridges. Wouldn't ya know it, fresh out of rubbing alcohol to clean them with. So that's been my day so far.

I've been adding stuff to my watering systems as well. I put little shut-off valves on and another little line so I can take samples off a tap and recirculate stuff in them. I've been having some kind of issue with my soil, I don't know if it's my water quality or what, but hopefully having the reservoirs pH'd all proper will help and the Jack won't see the same issues my Panama x Malawi have.

I'm thinking about trying out coco next go around. Already got the drip-system put together that I'd need for it, and I still have a ton of hydro nutrients from when I was running synthetic nutrients. Give it a try while a new batch of soil is cooking up, because I think if I want to continue doing soil I'm going to whip up a new batch.

Your seed's all pretty then, you going to mount it? I got a three-piece suit made for mine out of black duct tape

Back
Top Bottom