Hafta's 100% Sativa Panama Multi-Stage Harvest CST Plus Droughting

Phase 1 is complete.
Phase 1 harvest spent 6 days drying in the homemade dry box, 18" x 18" x 30".

Dry box-1.JPG

Exhaust fan w/adjustable speed for temp/RH control
Seedling temp mat for temp control
Temp/RH readout

Dry box-2.JPG

Five 1/4" dowels to hang branches using paper clips. The box will hold a couple of pounds of newly cut and trimmed branches.

Dry box-3.JPG

Trays for holding wet towels for additional humidity.

It took six days to dry under the following conditions. Target was 75 deg and 40% RH.

1650221404058.png

The buds were removed from the branches and spent a couple of weeks in sealed canisters with Boveda 62% packets. The canisters were opened and emptied daily for air circulation and inspection ( I might have sampled some as well).

Today the buds were spread out one more time and then placed in their forever jars. The final yield from Phase 1 was 172 grams.

Phase 1 Harvest 172 grams.JPG

There are some pretty nugs ........

Phase 1 Nug.JPG

The jars I use are designed for organic substances. They are amber to prevent UV damage and once they are tightened, they seal completely. They also reseal very well. Each 9 ounce jar will hold around 7 grams of cured bud while leaving 25 - 30% head space so the contents can be rolled and turned once a month without opening the jar. The 7 gram content makes sure you are not drying out bud before it can be consumed. The jars are short enough to store in a cool, dry place (like under the bed). Replacement seals can be purchased, so the jars can be re-used numerous times.

Storage jars.JPG

Happy Easter everyone.
I don't know if you know but they're supposed to be burped down from around 68% humidity and then when you get to 62% you drop into bodeva otherwise you miss out on your cure if you pop bodiva in too early. I most definitely do not put in Bo diva as soon as I put them in jar because there's no sense in that if you're curing it and you got to lower the humidity gradually anyways

@marcus611a

All manicuring (fine trimming) is performed before drying.

The dry box was/is equipped with a speed controlled exhaust fan and a humidity monitor so I can regulate the dry time more or less.
The branches with the buds are removed from the dry box when the humidity drops below 70%. The colas are then removed from the branches. This is the last time all of the colas are together!

I DO NOT consider this next step as curing, although many people consider curing to begin the moment the plant is harvested. Let's call it stabilization.

The buds are put into mason jars, not exceeding 75% full. Depending on the size of the jar either one or two 62% Bovedas are placed in the jar with the bud. The Bovedas are there to stretch out and stabilize the drying process. Once per day each jar is emptied onto a newspaper (trichomes don't stick), spread out so no two are touching, and allowed to breathe for 30 - 40 minutes. The drier buds may absorb and the moister ones may expel during this time. I find that you get a more uniform moisture content this way. This procedure takes place for a couple of weeks, more or less. In addition to the RH readings, the buds will feel differently once they achieve the 62% internal RH (they won't stick together and will roll off of each other).

Curing
Once the buds are stabilized, they are placed in their forever amber jars without Bovedas, or any other humidity control device. They are already at 62%. There is never more than 7 grams per jar and the jars have an adhesive seal. Nothing gets in and nothing gets out. Knock on wood ........... I have never had an issue with mildew or mold but if I did it would be isolated to a single jar.

Every jar that gets opened gets used while it is still fresh. Curing continues until it is opened and smoked.

I am currently smoking some Super Silver Haze that has been curing for 18 months. Still fresh, stony, and very smooth.

@marcus611a

All manicuring (fine trimming) is performed before drying.

The dry box was/is equipped with a speed controlled exhaust fan and a humidity monitor so I can regulate the dry time more or less.
The branches with the buds are removed from the dry box when the humidity drops below 70%. The colas are then removed from the branches. This is the last time all of the colas are together!

I DO NOT consider this next step as curing, although many people consider curing to begin the moment the plant is harvested. Let's call it stabilization.

The buds are put into mason jars, not exceeding 75% full. Depending on the size of the jar either one or two 62% Bovedas are placed in the jar with the bud. The Bovedas are there to stretch out and stabilize the drying process. Once per day each jar is emptied onto a newspaper (trichomes don't stick), spread out so no two are touching, and allowed to breathe for 30 - 40 minutes. The drier buds may absorb and the moister ones may expel during this time. I find that you get a more uniform moisture content this way. This procedure takes place for a couple of weeks, more or less. In addition to the RH readings, the buds will feel differently once they achieve the 62% internal RH (they won't stick together and will roll off of each other).

Curing
Once the buds are stabilized, they are placed in their forever amber jars without Bovedas, or any other humidity control device. They are already at 62%. There is never more than 7 grams per jar and the jars have an adhesive seal. Nothing gets in and nothing gets out. Knock on wood ........... I have never had an issue with mildew or mold but if I did it would be isolated to a single jar.

Every jar that gets opened gets used while it is still fresh. Curing continues until it is opened and smoked.

I am currently smoking some Super Silver Haze that has been curing for 18 months. Still fresh, stony, and very smooth.
Hell yeah brother that sounds awesome. I was thinking about putting up a good jar of Krissi until next Christmas and seeing what she's like.. Santa brought me hell of a present this year. I hope you have a good New Year brother and everything works out for you stay safe. And thank you so much for all your info and knowledge I take in all I can get because I'm definitely not a pro.

This id my first time curing and used Grove-bags due to a 4lb harvest. The 1 oz bags sucked, they dried to 55 RH even though they were bagged at 65-70. The 1/4 and 1/2 lb are doing well since November.

Will see how those go but the sealed, amber jars sound awesome. I have quadrupled my yield since knowing the 420 and never grew enough to last 6 months, let alone 18. :rofl:

Happy new year, brother!

Back
Top Bottom