Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: Hosted Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

A big :thanks: to all who provided feedback on the issue of rotating versus not rotating the pots.

I've decided to keep it simple and not create extra work for myself. Neither manufacturer stipulated or even recommended rotating the plants, so I won't be doing that.

If I was trying to optimize and squeeze every last bit of performance possible out of these lights, I might rotate the plants, but it's not a critical issue if your containers fit within the sweet spot.

thanks again, I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Thanks very much, SS! As promised, the following are some notes I've been putting together on this tech for my own use so as to make a more informed purchasing decision with LEDs.

TL, thank you for an awesome technical breakdown and contribution to this thread!

After seeing these lights side-by-side, and comparing their similarities and differences as far as intensity and coverage, I have to agree with your comments and assessment.

LED lights will shine the brightest when put into service over SOG and SCROG style grows.

Also, I agree that a custom 90 degree HGL light would be *sweet*. It would split the difference between the aggressively focused 60 degree HGL, and the wide-angle 140 degree HSS light.

Again, thanks for a great explanation and addition to the journal! ;)

Re: Perlite

What was your basis for the 25% mix of perlite? Just learning. Thanks

I actually went with 33% Perlite.

I had decided on 25% because that seemed to be the most popular ratio being mixed in by growers using FFOF soil.

FFOF is a fairly heavy mix and I've read that it can be a little too hot for seedlings in some strains, and also that it tends to compact over the course of a grow if used straight.

So, the 25% Perlite dilutes the nutes down a little, improves drainage, prevents the soil from compacting over time, and allows more frequent waterings and feedings.

I went up to 33% because I don't think that will dilute the nutes in the FFOF too severely, and I wanted a really light and airy mix for this grow.

thanks kevin!

Last time I read this journal was a few days ago. Lots of new pages. I have found that 6 inches is the perfect height for veg unless your trying to stretch your plants. I also noticed with both of mine that the tips start to bleach under 5 inches at least until about week 5 of flower.

Rotating the plants adds another variable and a considerable amount of work. They will grow into the extra space pretty quickly anyway.

I am curious about the HSS light. Is the whole unit basically one big heat-sync and the lens? I like the ultra slim profile they have.

I'm no electronics expert, but that appears to be the case.

Thats a real small profile. I wonder how hot it gets. Setting Sun you have all the cool toys, do you have an infrared thermometer?

Don't have a thermometer, but the top gets to the high end of warm. I wouldn't leave my hand on it for any extended period of time.

Yes, the Haight Solid State light dissipates heat passively by spreading the LED's out and essentially being a large heat sink.

The top of the light gets quite hot. I can leave my hand resting on it only for 15-20 seconds before I have to remove it.

I don't have an infrared thermometer among my toys, but I just may before the end of this grow;).

Yes, the Haight Solid State light dissipates heat passively by spreading the LED's out and essentially being a large heat sink.

The top of the light gets quite hot. I can leave my hand resting on it only for 15-20 seconds before I have to remove it.

I don't have an infrared thermometer among my toys, but I just may before the end of this grow;).

15-20 seconds is longer then I expected. I agree a 90 degree lens would be a nice light for the people who like to experiment with different ways of growing. I got my IR thermometer from amazon for 30 bucks and its one of the best toys I own. Now that I have it I use it all the time. Its a great tool to get the real temps of the canopy. I find that its always 5-15 degrees less then what my thermometer inside the chamber reads. The case on those things always heat up and display hotter then the real temps.

In my current grow I would almost kill for that extra inch or two taken up by the fans in my light.

15-20 seconds is longer then I expected. I agree a 90 degree lens would be a nice light for the people who like to experiment with different ways of growing. I got my IR thermometer from amazon for 30 bucks and its one of the best toys I own. Now that I have it I use it all the time. Its a great tool to get the real temps of the canopy. I find that its always 5-15 degrees less then what my thermometer inside the chamber reads. The case on those things always heat up and display hotter then the real temps.

In my current grow I would almost kill for that extra inch or two taken up by the fans in my light.

The Haight Solid State light, at 1/2" thick, will give you additional headroom vertically, but I would think for adequate cooling, you don't want to get it too close to the ceiling.

I'd leave at least six inches or so of clear space above it for the heat to radiate efficiently. I will contact HSS and ask them what they recommend.

The way the hangers are set up on the HydroGrowLED light ensures that the light has enough clearance from the ceiling for the fans to work efficiently. I'll take some pics of the HGL mounting system and length of the hangers.

The HSS light simply comes with 4 round eyes, and the customer provides the wire, hooks, chain, whatever, but I'd think it necessary to leave some clearance above the light for proper heat dissipation. I'll ask them.

Both lights, by virtue of their low profiles and proximity to the canopy, provide me with more vertical grow space than my HID hoods.

Whether they could penetrate plants tall enough to realize that benefit is something yet to be discovered.

I picked up an infrared thermometer yesterday, so I'll try to measure the temps on both lights and report back.

thanks brother!

You know, I think I would grab some aluminum heat sinks from processor's with or without the fans and use some thermal adhesive and mount like 4 or 5 really light ones on the back of that, even without fans that increases the surface area for heat dispersion. (Simply to keep the unit cooler for longer life.)

The overclocker in me says put a copper waterblock to fit the length of that and run an external water line out of the grow room where the pump and radiator/fan combo like old style watercooling for computers, but since you don't have to keep the radiator so small you could use a 12 inch radiator and 12 inch AC fan and that light would keep cool for harsh summer grows.

Just thinkin out loud...:ganjamon:

Your second thought might be overkill for most climates, but your first idea of adding some heat sinks would be easy enough to do if one wanted to.

There may be warranty issues, so I'd check before doing any mods.

I think setting up a small fan to blow across the top would also do a lot to keep the light cool in a really hot environment. Not as sexy, but also effective ;).

Hey, SS great work on the comparo so far. I like the light soil mix you're using, I think it'll work great. So did you come up with a height or date when you want to switch to flowering?
And are you sure you can't to lst any of them? lol Like 1 on each side, please. And I would love to see one pot from under each light get stuffed under that 150 hps cab at the 12/12 switch.

Great comp grow Setting Sun, I like the extra perlite, very important in LED grows imo.
Lurker's post is a good addition.
My opinion re rotating, although already decided by you, would be to rotate plants under the tighter beam HGL unit, just as the light distance is tailored to the light in use. But I would also have mylar closer to the plants under the wider HSS beam, lol.
Decisions decisions. I think you've found a good compromise regarding how much tweaking each light source should get.

Seasons Greetings to you and yours, have a safe and happy holiday and thanks very much for doing this comp grow. Great stuff.

:allgood: Setting Sun Thank you! A VERY Merry Christmas To You And Mrs Sun! MAY 2010 BRING ONLY THE BEST TO YOU! I Love all you do! :cheer::roorrip: :peace:
:xmas:

Happpy Holidays!
:thanks:again for this journal.

Hi Buddy,
Been watching it all and love how you have conducted this well planned grow.

Actually, really stopping by just to wish you and Mrs Sun a heart felt
"Mele Kalikimaka" :xmas::xmas::xmas:

Hey, SS great work on the comparo so far. I like the light soil mix you're using, I think it'll work great. So did you come up with a height or date when you want to switch to flowering?
And are you sure you can't to lst any of them? lol Like 1 on each side, please. And I would love to see one pot from under each light get stuffed under that 150 hps cab at the 12/12 switch.

No firm schedule on the date for flowering them, but I'm thinking around 12" for height. I'd like to keep them under 24" if possible.

I love your idea to LST one on each side, but that would have to be agreed upon by all concerned parties.

The weakest plant in each tent is going to go in the 150w MH/HPS cab at 3 weeks veg, but no comparisons will be made to the LED grows.

Have a great Christmas, Charlie!

You know, I think I would grab some aluminum heat sinks from processor's with or without the fans and use some thermal adhesive and mount like 4 or 5 really light ones on the back of that, even without fans that increases the surface area for heat dispersion. (Simply to keep the unit cooler for longer life.)

The overclocker in me says put a copper waterblock to fit the length of that and run an external water line out of the grow room where the pump and radiator/fan combo like old style watercooling for computers, but since you don't have to keep the radiator so small you could use a 12 inch radiator and 12 inch AC fan and that light would keep cool for harsh summer grows.

Just thinkin out loud...:ganjamon:

Your 2nd idea may be overkill but I am an overclocker too and it sounds like a fun project. I have a triple loop system in a mountain mods case. I love it but I push my system as far as I can.

SS have you gotten a chance to use the IR thermometer yet? I am curious if the canopy shows much of a temp difference between the two lights.

Great comp grow Setting Sun, I like the extra perlite, very important in LED grows imo.
Lurker's post is a good addition.
My opinion re rotating, although already decided by you, would be to rotate plants under the tighter beam HGL unit, just as the light distance is tailored to the light in use. But I would also have mylar closer to the plants under the wider HSS beam, lol.
Decisions decisions. I think you've found a good compromise regarding how much tweaking each light source should get.

Thanks for confirming the extra Perlite. I'm glad I went with it. It would have taken my old mix forever to dry out under LED's.

I like to tweak things too, but yeah, there is a point of diminishing returns.

I'd like to keep this grow as simple and straightforward as possible, otherwise I would be rotating the plants, adding side-lighting, etc. I like your idea of a mylar corral to maximize the reflected light from the HSS. The smallest area recommended for the HSS PPF-800 is 32" X 32", which is exactly the dimension of my tents. The walls on my tent appear to be at just the right distance from the HSS light to very effectively reflect a lot of light back down to the plants. In a larger tent, your mylar idea might be very effective.

Seasons Greetings to you and yours, have a safe and happy holiday and thanks very much for doing this comp grow. Great stuff.

thank you Mmmmick!

best wishes for you and yours also!

have a great Christmas!

me too bro,

happy holidays to you and your fam. ;)

peace, love, and wisdom. (bud encourages all 3!)

Hi Buddy,
Been watching it all and love how you have conducted this well planned grow.

Actually, really stopping by just to wish you and Mrs Sun a heart felt
"Mele Kalikimaka" :xmas::xmas::xmas:

Thank you so much OMM!

Growing and journaling combine several things that I enjoy, so I'm having fun ;).

thanks for stopping by my friend!

Mele Kalikimaka!

Back
Top Bottom