Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

A few observations (see table below)

• The wet to dry weight loss ratio is about 62% for this LED grow as opposed to the 75% rule of thumb that most people are used to. Water loss was remarkably consistent on a plant to plant basis.
  • The final g/w results (less any hash setting sun makes from the trim) were 3.6 times better for HGL than HSS when compared on a g/w basis
  • The gross weight results were 2.4 times better for HGL when not normalized for wattage differences.
  • The HSS costs $495 or $2.61 per watt, the HGL costs $475 or $3.77 per watt.
  • Depending on whether one is concerned about the fixed cost of initial purchase or the ongoing cost of electricity differential, the HGL outpaced the HSS light by a multiple of between 2.4 and 3.6; depending on how strongly the reader factors in his fixed costs.
  • HSS should get more hash as they had much more trim (tbd)
  • The biomass ratio (finished buds divided by total wet weight of the plant) was about 50% better for the HGL compared to the HSS. Essentially 15.2% of the total growth was bud for HGL while 9.1% was bud for HSS
  • The oddball sativa phenomenon did not skew results as its output was tucked neatly near the median for all measure categories
  • The HSS was more consistent for all plants grown, albeit to lesser weights (see the coefficient of variation and standard deviation values in table)

hgl_vs_hss_v5.gif

Nice data and analysis. Thanks.

Love the table and observations.:goodjob: Very informative.:peace:

Thank you so much for pulling all that data together for us brother Soniq!

Great job!

:thanks:

I've been lurking throughout this grow and have been nothing but amazed by the detail provided and the support of the community.

And let me say that I've NEVER seen a thread on any other forum go for 117 pages without ONE flame war.

Thank you all for teaching me so much.

:goodjob:

Grow journals are a great opportunity to learn from each other.

The way I grow has been shaped and continues to be shaped, by the free sharing of information on grow forums. The combination of knowledge and ideas supported and enhanced by pics is how I learn best.

:welcome: Phission!

nice to meet you ;)

That will be interesting !! Good show SS !!:cool:

thank you Slow, hope to see ya there ;)

SS,
Are you gonna take clones off plants you have or buy them for the next grow. I would suggest you use clones, all from one plant. Wish i had me a cutting off that VK that you just grew, or one seed !! Or one joint !! Ha !! Is it more potent than the white widow?? Will be waiting for this next comparison !!

SS,
Are you gonna take clones off plants you have or buy them for the next grow. I would suggest you use clones, all from one plant. Wish i had me a cutting off that VK that you just grew, or one seed !! Or one joint !! Ha !! Is it more potent than the white widow?? Will be waiting for this next comparison !!

If the labels are to be believed, the VK is 23% and the WW is 18%.:roorrip:

i bought the original seed from nirvana, and they advertised 18 to 24%. And i've tryed all the calif. kushes and the northern lights, and i still have'nt had one person tell me that they know of a more potent strain. But if you say it's the best you've ever smoked, then that makes me want some.

You guys never fail to amaze me. I keep thinking presentation of this journal can't get any better, and Soniq arrives with that table and chart. That was the best summary of the best comparison I've ever seen. Thanks Soniq.

:goodjob:

Fantastic results there SS. Re my question about one being better - I was just wondering if the two lights could be comparable to hps vs mh and throw in a little uv. The HSS seems to be a weaker product overall, but is it possible that the nm of the HSS lend themselves better to the bud specifically, and the HGL nm lends itself to vegetative and/or overall growth? Sorta like what would happen if you grew under only mh?

Referring to the tris I use the subjective word "better" as referring to more amber in the tris.

Thanks again to you and 420.

:nicethread:
I can't even begin to weigh in on your next yet. So far you're batting 1000 as far as I'm concerned. Keep it up.

:cheer::peacetwo::goodjob:

SS,

I've never smoked WW, so I don't know how it compares. I smoked some of the HSS 2 sativa pheno today and it's very different. I mentioned that it smelled stronger and more like grapefruit than the other plants, and that comes through in the taste also. It's very tasty and the high is just as potent as her sisters, but much more cerebral. I like the regular pheno a *lot*, but this one is special and the one I wish I had a clone of.

I didn't take any clones on this grow except for a few I took from the culls to test these clear gel cubes that you just poke the cutting into. They were in a 12/12 environment and sort of eventually rooted, but I tossed em after that.

I don't know at this point whether we'll be going with clones from the same mom or seeds again.

I should know pretty soon though. I'd prefer clones also, but I can only work with what I got available.

thanks Slow ;)

If the labels are to be believed, the VK is 23% and the WW is 18%.:roorrip:

yeah, I dunno bout all dat, but personally speaking, I'm not overly concerned at this point with LED's and lack of potency ;).

i bought the original seed from nirvana, and they advertised 18 to 24%. And i've tryed all the calif. kushes and the northern lights, and i still have'nt had one person tell me that they know of a more potent strain. But if you say it's the best you've ever smoked, then that makes me want some.

Well, to be really specific, it's the most potent indica or indica-dominant strain I've ever smoked.

Come to think of it, the sativa pheno is the most potent sativa-leaning herb I've ever smoked too.

yep, based on my experience, it's good

I'll probably grow it again sooner or later ;)

Just a fun little side grow and another opportunity to experiment ;)

I'm just glad I had a place to grow those two out. I couldn't see tossing out two female plants right after veg.

That little cab is priceless to me for several reasons.

very nice journal sir.
good finish, great pics, detailed information, dispassionate hand, pleasant posts.
you do it all.

glad to see the next one will let you try and max out. I see the numbers you pulled this journal as a great specific example, but not a good general idea of what numbers can be pulled. . . which is paramount to nearly every grower more than any other aspect.

very nice journal sir.
good finish, great pics, detailed information, dispassionate hand, pleasant posts.
you do it all.

Thanks bro ;).

Life's a strange deal, and I'm grateful for the planets lining up so that I can do this.

glad to see the next one will let you try and max out. I see the numbers you pulled this journal as a great specific example, but not a good general idea of what numbers can be pulled. . . which is paramount to nearly every grower more than any other aspect.

Curious as to why you think that.

Is it because you believe the average grower wouldn't be able to reproduce the results?

Your not average, and yes. :grinjoint:

I don't know for sure about that. I have duplicated many things that Sun has done, with good results and you have his journal so you can reread over until you get it right. He tells exactly how things are done. That's my 2 cents worth. ;)

Actually, the two things I did in this grow that I'm most proud of are being assertive about raising the HGL light up from 6" to 8-10" in bloom, which seemed to contradict the recommendation of the mfg, and not knocking any of the plants over throughout the entire grow ;).

My flexible nute schedule is just how I like to do it because I'm not a "recipe" kind of person. Following the FF nute schedule to the letter would most probably produce similar results.

Back
Top Bottom