They were dissed, now they're pissed! Revenge of the Culls!

This is a retrospective journal of the two Violator Kush culled at 4 weeks veg as per the rules of:

Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

This was a very informal personal grow. I took pics as I went, but I did not document exact dates, and all comments are to the best of my memory.

IMG_4167.JPG

This was on the day they were culled. My cab is small, so I wasted no time LST'ing one and fimming the other. Lighting at this point was my HTG 110w T-5 with one 3000k tube and one 6500k tube.

IMG_4261.JPG

A few days later. You can see my little cloning experiment off to the right. Temps are a little high with the cab doors closed at 85+. I was using a fan to push the exhaust through a filter on the outside of the cab because I didn't want to mount the filter inside and take up space, but ventilation was weak and temps were high. Plants were responding well to the LST and fimming.

IMG_4287.JPG

The fim shocked and slowed the plant down for 2-3 days, but then turned out great with two healthy extra tops growing out of the fim site and a third mutant-looking little top that I snipped off.

IMG_4441.JPG

The LST plant. No slowdown or shock. Just a few hours after tying her down, I could already see the plant re-modeling itself.

to be continued......

Re: they were dissed, now they're pissed!........ Revenge of the Culls!

welcome scaredeecat ;)

The culls were doing very well in their new home.

Violator Kush, being a heavy-branching strain to begin with, seems to really respond well to LST and/or topping.

welcome scaredeecat ;)

The culls were doing very well in their new home.

Violator Kush, being a heavy-branching strain to begin with, seems to really respond well to LST and/or topping.

Hi Sun Those girls look great, as usual.:cheer:
I ordered some of these seeds, If you say they are potent, that's good enough for me.:grinjoint: Don't know when I'll grow them, but I will. ;)

Culls Huh? They look healthy and beautiful to me, after the famous Sun touch. :smokin:

I was wondering if you kept a record of these ladies....wow looking great already bro....the whole time space continuum gets thrown off wishing well for a plant that is already dead....:smokin:

:reading420magazine: I will be watching this future past....

:peace: my friend.

Love the idea of a side journal SS. +reps for going the extra distance :peace:

Looks we get a HPS comparison (sort of) as well. Thanks. Where do you find the energy?

Thanks for showing this journal. Very interesting as to what a little extra help will. Great work.

davec1

Hi Sun Those girls look great, as usual.:cheer:
I ordered some of these seeds, If you say they are potent, that's good enough for me.:grinjoint: Don't know when I'll grow them, but I will. ;)

Culls Huh? They look healthy and beautiful to me, after the famous Sun touch. :smokin:

My comments and smoke report on the VK are, of course, only based on my smoking experience, but I think I've smoked enough different strains to be able to provide a valid opinion.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

It wasn't easy to select the two culls. All 10 plants were looking good. The HGL 2 plant was the shortest in that tent, and the HSS 3 plant was slightly more spindly that her tent-mates, so that's why I culled those two.

None of the 10 plants looked like losers though.

Glad you're checkin' it out OMM ;)

Sweet set-up, Mr Sun. T-5s in a custom fit box.
I think this could be a very practical personal medicine cabinet.
Caretakers need larger rooms and lights, but not all patients. :popcorn:

It's a great little setup for a small personal grow. Two plants, a little bondage, and bob's yer uncle;). A little 10-gallon hydro system would work good too if you stayed on top of things.

thanks Gator!

I was wondering if you kept a record of these ladies....wow looking great already bro....the whole time space continuum gets thrown off wishing well for a plant that is already dead....:smokin:

:reading420magazine: I will be watching this future past....

:peace: my friend.

thank you MH, glad you're here;).

thanks Pit ;)

thanks Butch ;)

Love the idea of a side journal SS. +reps for going the extra distance :peace:

It was fun, and it gave me some freedom to do stuff that the rules would not allow in the tents, so I got my mad scientist fix also ;).

Looks we get a HPS comparison (sort of) as well. Thanks. Where do you find the energy?

I think from my love of growing, the encouragement I get from members here, and lots of coffee ;).

Ok, here's the next installment.

IMG_4436.JPG

A few days later.

IMG_4440.JPG

Both plants doing great under the T-5. The fimmed plant on the right needed to be tied down also at this point as the tops were getting too tall. I spread the tops out and tied them down. I thought about taking some clones from the same mom for my next grow, but I didn't have any 18/6 environment for them, so I just decided to bloom the culls. I suppose I could have kept one or both of them as moms, and as much as I like the smoke, I regret not doing so, but hindsight is a bitch.

IMG_4469.JPG

So now I'm PM'img and chatting with my buddy Gator about vertical bare bulb grows, and I get the idea to check it out using a 150w HPS. My ventilation setup is still less than ideal. The T-5 temp was running around 80-85, and I'm thinkin' that there is no way this is gonna work, but what the hell.

I set it up, flip the switch, and wait for things to start melting, but hold on, the temp tops out at 74 (!). I'm thinkin' this can't be right, but that's as hot as it gets.

With only the bare bulb in the airstream of the little 4" ventilation fan blowing from directly below, and no big-assed hood obstructing the air flow, even the inefficient exhaust setup is working perfectly!

IMG_4467.JPG

I set it up and I'm way stoked about blooming them with direct HPS lumens.

to be continued.................

Skip a bit, brother......

Let's see some bud shots! And some scale shots!

I'm very impatient today....but if you want to string us along, I'll still be following. :popcorn:

I won't string it out too long.

Prolly have the whole thing posted by tomorrow.

I had a lot of fun with this side-grow, so I don't want to blow my wad too quick here, lol.

OK, next installment.

So, I set them up with the vertical 150w, and off to bed I go, all fat, dumb and happy ;).

I come home from work the next day and there's trouble.

The leaves facing the bulb on both plants are wilted pretty bad.

I put my hand about 1/2" away from the bulb and I can hold it there as long as I want with the 4" fan blowing up from below. I turn the fan off and I have to move my hand about 3-4" away, but I can still hold it there as long as I want.

The wilted leaves are about 8" away from the bulb, so I can't figure out what's going on.

Because the damage is limited to the leaves facing the bulb, I'm pretty sure it's from them being too close, but they aren't being damaged by heat.

I start thinking that part of problem is that I bushed them out with the LST and fimming, because I wasn't anticipating the vertical setup, and with the shape they had, I couldn't get enough clearance.

I didn't want to give up on the vertical setup though, so I used a couple of turns of garden tape around both plants and squeezed the branches inwards to make them as vertical as I could.

Now, they had a couple of inches more clearance, and I was hoping that would be enough.

It wasn't. They kept wilting and burning, and even squeezed vertically and pushed up against the sides of the cab, they were getting worse.

I gave up on the 150 HPS after about 4 days. If HPS influenced this grow in any way, it probably did more harm than good. The plants looked far worse after those 4 days than before.

Heat wasn't the issue, but radiation was. Direct light from a bare bulb is way different than reflected off a hood. The cab is just too small for even a 150w bare HID bulb. Maybe a 100w or 70w might work, but I had to go back to the T-5. As much as I wanted to bloom them with the 150 HPS, it just wasn't meant to be.

IMG_4910.JPG

This was about a week after putting them back under the T-5. You can see some of the burned leaves from the HPS.

I use 70 watt hps for extra lighting but they doe have the glass on them. Maybe 2 70 watts woul dwork better. Dunno though, may never. At the least you save the day with the t5's. Still look'n good though.

Back
Top Bottom