Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Thank you Doc. Someone had to say it and I have to agree. I'm one of those folks growing in a very small space (2'x2') and thought LEDs might be the holy grail, solving my heat and height problems. A few weeks ago I posted a reply saying the LEDs looked like they were doing a little better than my 250W HPS. Now I've gotta take it back - the little HPS is doing much better, and the HPS doesn't run nearly as hot as I expected.

The LEDs might come on strong at the end so I'm definitely still tuned in - watching Setting Sun's growing technique is a joy ;)

A few weeks ago I posted a reply saying the LEDs looked like they were doing a little better than my 250W HPS. Now I've gotta take it back - the little HPS is doing much better, and the HPS doesn't run nearly as hot as I expected.

Are you running both lights concurrently, or swapped out the LED for the HPS?

Are you running both lights concurrently, or swapped out the LED for the HPS?

Sorry for the confusion - I'm in the middle of a smoke test and likely misworded my last reply. I was making hugely subjective comparisons between your LED grow and my 250W HPS grow.

I know, I know.. different strains, different environments, etc., etc. but my gut reaction is that I'll get significantly better results from a 250W HPS than a 190W LED. Looking forward to the final results so I can see if my theory has any merit.

LED companys can produce in bulk and advertise as a low cost veg unit which draws less electricity than anything that gets comparable results and do GREAT. They'll sell a gajillion of them. I'll never understand this practice of handing down to the consumer this inflated pricing which includes their research costs... that's their deal, to make a good product and shouldn't be put on us...well they can try but it obviously won't work. build a bunch, lower the cost, advertise veg, make a fortune...

Geeze it is hard to keep up with this journal, it grows by pages per day. I think the correct way, and I'm no mathematician, is to harvest both crops when they are ready and multiply watts by time (days) and divide that by yield, to get the comparison. But who knows one might produce a little less but be better smoke.

The official race has yet to be run
Between LEDs and the fake red sun
Our grower will then be under the gun
To grow even-handed like Setting Sun

Should be easy, we love the truth
When gro-rooms become a photo booth
For small Med grows LEDs may yet rule
This grow's budding, be prepared to drool

The official race has yet to be run
Between LEDs and the fake red sun
Our grower will then be under the gun
To grow even-handed like Setting Sun

Should be easy, we love the truth
When gro-rooms become a photo booth
For small Med grows LEDs may yet rule
This grow's budding, be prepared to drool

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo: +rep

DAY 35 BLOOM

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5324.JPG

IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_53321.JPG

IMG_5337.JPG

IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

Sorry for the confusion - I'm in the middle of a smoke test and likely misworded my last reply. I was making hugely subjective comparisons between your LED grow and my 250W HPS grow.

I know, I know.. different strains, different environments, etc., etc. but my gut reaction is that I'll get significantly better results from a 250W HPS than a 190W LED. Looking forward to the final results so I can see if my theory has any merit.

gotcha, thanks!

All the plants look healthy and strong. Once again, maximum respect SS! I don't think it is possible to do a better job than you're currently doing!

However, I am very disappointed at the total bud growth after 5 full weeks of 12/12 flowering. At this point, it is hard to see them producing a decent harvest.

But I guess the proof is in the pudding, so let's wait til dessert....only 5 more weeks to go.

Geeze it is hard to keep up with this journal, it grows by pages per day. I think the correct way, and I'm no mathematician, is to harvest both crops when they are ready and multiply watts by time (days) and divide that by yield, to get the comparison. But who knows one might produce a little less but be better smoke.

The data to run those numbers will be available.

I'm going to post tonight about how harvesting will be handled.

thanks BTR!

1) how often are you watering them @ this stage, is one tent drying out faster than the other or are they pretty much even? [love the rosepots, use them also]

The HGL tent is drying out one day sooner than the HSS tent. Currently, I'm watering the HGL tent every 4 days and the HSS tent every 5.

The 2-gallon rose pots haven't been a problem as far as frequency of watering, even with the 33% perlite. Watering really is *significantly* reduced with LED's. If you had to leave your grow for a few days, LED's would make that easier than HID. The pots seem large enough also, as the plants don't seem to be root-bound.

2) If you were doing this as a stash grow, would you have dropped the HSS during veg?

No, but with the caveat that if this was a regular grow for me, I would be keeping the plants low with LST, so height at the end of veg would not be as important.

If I was doing this as a regular grow and just letting them grow out as we did here, I might keep the HSS down a bit lower to produce squatter plants.

3) does the flowering seem ok but retarded in pace to you? Personally if it takes longer but still makes great buds, the time won't be an issue for me, given the low energetic inputs.
In comparison to my experience with a 250 HPS, both groups seem a little behind, but not by a lot. This is a new strain for me though, and LED's being a radically different technology than HID, flowering times may not be exactly the same.

4) how do you think these lights would work had you bent the girls over? I'm planning on bending my babes and taking them for a walk around the pot.
I think they would work a lot better using any grow style that keeps plants short, i.e., LST, topping, SOG, SCROG, 12/12 from seed, etc. We didn't want to introduce that variable on this grow, but I'm pretty certain results would be better bending them over, *especially* with the wide-angle HSS light.

Great questions!

thanks bro ;)

Back
Top Bottom