Has anyone set up a seed germination pod?

Dan Dark

For whatever reason I am having a hella time getting my seeds to germinate and live. I just ordered more seeds from True North Seed Bank. Has anyone set up a germination pod for their seeds or clones? I'd love to hear about or see your plans and successes! Thanks in advance!

Hi @DRey , I know you've read some of my journal & a lot of the info you seek is there & more being added all the time.
Never the less, there are several ways to germinate a seed.
Some drop the seed in a shot glass of water for about 24 hours to get the seed to soften up & crack.
Some put there seed in a damp paper towel & place it in a sealed baggie & place that on something warm like a cable box.
Some use Rapid Rooter Grow Plugs & Grow Blocks in a Solo Cup.
Some start there seeds in Perlite even.
I'm old school & my seeds go straight in the soil. 1/4" deep & very little water right in the center till she sprouts. The entire cup of soil is not wet. Just the area in the center. Once she sprouts (3-5 days) I water the outer rim of the cup but not the center. Just water enough to make it a little bit damp. Not wet.

Hi @DRey , I know you've read some of my journal & a lot of the info you seek is there & more being added all the time.
Never the less, there are several ways to germinate a seed.
Some drop the seed in a shot glass of water for about 24 hours to get the seed to soften up & crack.
Some put there seed in a damp paper towel & place it in a sealed baggie & place that on something warm like a cable box.
Some use Rapid Rooter Grow Plugs & Grow Blocks in a Solo Cup.
Some start there seeds in Perlite even.
I'm old school & my seeds go straight in the soil. 1/4" deep & very little water right in the center till she sprouts. The entire cup of soil is not wet. Just the area in the center. Once she sprouts (3-5 days) I water the outer rim of the cup but not the center. Just water enough to make it a little it damp. Not wet.
Thanks and yes I have read everything I can find including your journal. That said, I just have not had great luck. As an example, I just sprouted two seeds and Afghan Kush and a Druban Poison. The both cracked okay but when pout in the soil the DP broke the stalk - instant death. The Afghan has not poked her head out even though she had cracked fully. This is the story of my seed hell. Fortunately cloning has worked well for me and I've sustained my grow of Sativa dominants but would love to get into som Indica's. I just hate spending $45 to get one seed sprouted!

Thanks for your guidance; I will follow your method when my new ladies arrive.

Every time I try to get fancy and bring in special rooters or paper towels and heaters and whatever else, I start running into problems. My most trusted method right now is to soak them for 24 hours in a shot glass of water, and as soon as I see the tails pop out, I plant them 1/2 inch deep in light soil and then lightly mist that area above the seed a couple of times a day until they sprout. This results in plants above the ground most of the time. The longer I delay getting them in the soil by using other methods, the more troubles I seem to get as a result.

Every time I try to get fancy and bring in special rooters or paper towels and heaters and whatever else, I start running into problems. My most trusted method right now is to soak them for 24 hours in a shot glass of water, and as soon as I see the tails pop out, I plant them 1/2 inch deep in light soil and then lightly mist that area above the seed a couple of times a day until they sprout. The results in plants above the ground most of the time. The longer I delay getting them in the soil by using other methods, the more troubles I seem to get as a result.
I will report back. I just bought about 20 seeds from True North Seed bank (a recommendation). I bought mostly Indica dominant hybrids like White Widow, Eight Ball Kush, and Gelato - hoping for some good clone stock out of this batch.

The Afghan has not poked her head out even though she had cracked fully.
The seed is probably trying to grow upside down if it hasn't popped above ground in a few days. Stir the soil with a toothpick & see if you can see the seed & what's going on. You may have to flip it up with some tweezers. This happens occasionally.

I used to have excellent rates with letting the seed float on the top of the water for as long as possible even after the seed has cracked. The seed usually and normally does float as long as you dont mess with the cup. Once the root was long enough, then directly into soil but every now and then a seed sinks. Like above, I have found my best method to be directly in soil. I used to have plant entire packs to get just 1 or 2 to live smh.

The seed is probably trying to grow upside down if it hasn't popped above ground in a few days. Stir the soil with a toothpick & see if you can see the seed & what's going on. You may have to flip it up with some tweezers. This happens occasionally.
Hella good idea, I tried it immediately and could not even find the damn thing!

I took it as an opportunity to clone some more ladies but damn seeds are tough for me!

If you're having a REALLY hard time germinating seeds in soil you could try rockwool. They sell little 2x2 inch cubes which have a little hole in them you can put the seed in. Impossible to lose the seed or overwater so it's pretty nice. I've had good success using them for peppers and transplanting into potting mix / soil.
Rockwool.jpg

Only potential issue is you need to pH adjust the water and use hydroponic nutrients.

I will be back later. One point first.

When planting a sprouted seed in soil. Make sure to pre moisten the soil first.

A note to mark this thread

I will be back later. One point first.

When planting a sprouted seed in soil. Make sure to pre moisten the soil first.

A note to mark this thread
What I have been doing that has not worked well for me: I start with a moist towel, seeds and a heat mat. I use covered small glasses to germinate. Once I see a tail I plant in my soil media, super soil with perlite and coir. This seems to be where my problem is in that some break at that tender stage, or the just disappear!

Ok. Well. One thing for sure.

If your new tail is a quarter inch or less. As i think it should be. If yours is and you are breaking tails while planting..

Then you must be much more careful.

Long tails will break easier

If your seed cracks. One knows it is a viable seed and can be planted right away if cared for properly

Now. If you are having trouble getting seeds to crack. Like i do quite often. That is another patagraph

What I have been doing that has not worked well for me: I start with a moist towel, seeds and a heat mat. I use covered small glasses to germinate. Once I see a tail I plant in my soil media, super soil with perlite and coir. This seems to be where my problem is in that some break at that tender stage, or the just disappear!
How many amendments are in your super soil? If it's too hot it might be burning the seedlings and stopping them from sprouting.

If you're having a REALLY hard time germinating seeds in soil you could try rockwool. They sell little 2x2 inch cubes which have a little hole in them you can put the seed in. Impossible to lose the seed or overwater so it's pretty nice. I've had good success using them for peppers and transplanting into potting mix / soil.
Rockwool.jpg

Only potential issue is you need to pH adjust the water and use hydroponic nutrients.
Great idea, I have some rockwool cubes and will try this when my new True North seeds show up sometime next month!
How many amendments are in your super soil? If it's too hot it might be burning the seedlings and stopping them from sprouting.
I use just the soil and some perlite out of the bag. I use coir as a bottom of the bag drainage. I do not fertilize seeds at all until they sprout real leaves. Great tip, maybe I';; check the temp.

Back
Top Bottom