Hello I'm Randy and I'm getting ready for my first grow

there can be advantages to multiple lights in one space.

Expensive lights don't always mean they are the best lights either. I spent $1050 ea. on 2 - P900's. My 3 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's at $260 ea. blew those expensive lights out of the water.

the issue with mars is you never know what you're gonna get. they swap components and chipsets 3 times out before breakfast. the same rig comes in multiple configs, so you might get lucky, but chances are the spec sheet will change between purchase and delivery.

the issue with mars is you never know what you're gonna get. they swap components and chipsets 3 times out before breakfast. the same rig comes in multiple configs, so you might get lucky, but chances are the spec sheet will change between purchase and delivery.
I know that's true from personal experience.

hey randy

after your environment the single most important thing is light. light will have more effect, negative or positive, than any other single thing you will do. your success is tied directly to your lighting choice. it is the most important thing you will ever purchase.

good led is not cheap. you very much get what you pay for. purchase your light based on the area you need coverage for. on this board we have many great choices among the sponsors.

look at budget led, atreum, nextlight, photontek, or mars hydro.

mars is the budget choice, but there products seem to last the shortest, and they don't usually use the best components in their builds. we also have wee grow on the board who are new disrupters in the space, and may be a better deal over the mars.

the others mentioned are all rock solid and i can recommend several of their products.
Well i hate to disagree with someone but mars makes a great light , i have used mars lights for best part of 8 yrs now everything from the shitty old days of burples to the ts line of leds , i run a 7x7x8 grow room and have had no problems pulling off 8 oz off a plant , i run 8 of the 1000 watts ts mars lights in this space , the trick is moving your lights up and down to keep them in the sweet spot i run 4-6 plants per grow -photo fem seeds , the real secret is to know what your plants are trying to tell you as they grow , mars and budget leds are sponsors here and both are pretty much the same good quality light , spending 1000 dollars on a light and limited grow experience makes no sense, you don't need the best of the best lights to have a great grow just learn how to grow with what you have , i like a 1000 watt led per plant as a really good starting point and move it up and down , your water quality and environment will make a lot bigger difference then spending 250 bucks on a light than 600 dollars on a more expensive light , 2 of the 1000 watt lights you have will be fine for 3 plants max just move them closer to the plant 16 inches from the top of plant is a good start point .

I call bull shit on that comment about mars

they use mutiple drivers like inventronics, pairu, a couple others .. but you only see mean well mentioned in their literature. when they've used mean well they often spec an hlg and ship with an elg, not a deal breaker, but it makes you wonder where else they cut corners. they've used both epis and samsung diodes in the past, but they only talk up the samsung.

all of which has been noted by others on the board.

they're a budget builder period. i didn't say they were bad, most budget builders use a mix of top shelf and kitten components. if you read the thread you will note they are the only budget builder i actually recommend.

some times you just pay for the name and the price difference does not justify a lot better yield , mother nature out side has a different amount of light every day due to time of year /cloud cover etc lighting is important but if you have shitty other issues they will make a lot bigger difference than a light at 600 bucks vs 250 dollar light ever will . the more expensive light is just a little more efficient on the hydo bill and the amount of good quality light is not enough to make a difference there is a fine line between what is good lighting and over kill on the wallet .plus it depends on how many plants you are expecting your light to properly supply light to.

some times you just pay for the name and the price difference does not justify a lot better yield , mother nature out side has a different amount of light every day due to time of year /cloud cover etc lighting is important but if you have shitty other issues they will make a lot bigger difference than a light at 600 bucks vs 250 dollar light ever will . the more expensive light is just a little more efficient on the hydo bill and the amount of good quality light is not enough to make a difference there is a fine line between what is good lighting and over kill on the wallet .plus it depends on how many plants you are expecting your light to properly supply light to.
Well I am putting 5 plants in the tent well that's if the all germinate and sprout. And I have 2 1000s that are the same build as the sf1000s plus another 1000 that I was told were junk but Flint to.pur I. I. With them anyway

just run them all. if there is too much just take one away. if it is not adequate consider upgrading between grows. but go with what you have for now.

just run them all. if there is too much just take one away. if it is not adequate consider upgrading between grows. but go with what you have for now.
Rha k I very much blutter you've been a big help. Well for now it seems u have we will see at the end of my grow.

Welcome to 420 @Randyhamlyn3.:welcome:

I am exhausted from reading about how shitty your lights are!

When I started growing (in Dec. 2018, so not that long ago), I had a shitty light. Being new, all I could see was a very bright light with lots of pretty blues and reds! It pulled about 190 watts though it was advertised as a 500 watt light.

I grew 2 Amnesia Haze autos in a 4X4 tent. I had a DWC set-up in a tote bin.

I produced 8 ounces but screwed up the whole thing by drying the plant too fast. :Rasta:

I said all that to say go ahead and get your feet wet with whatever you have. Hell, you might not even like growing. But if you do, you'll learn more and more about how to get better at it. And you'll know when your lights are not up to your newly attained "standards."

And one more thing, I'll bet the next light you buy will not be the last light you buy. :laughtwo:

Here's a pic of my first plant.
1615663945514.png

Happy growing!

Welcome to 420 @Randyhamlyn3.:welcome:

I am exhausted from reading about how shitty your lights are!

When I started growing (in Dec. 2018, so not that long ago), I had a shitty light. Being new, all I could see was a very bright light with lots of pretty blues and reds! It pulled about 190 watts though it was advertised as a 500 watt light.

I grew 2 Amnesia Haze autos in a 4X4 tent. I had a DWC set-up in a tote bin.

I produced 8 ounces but screwed up the whole thing by drying the plant too fast. :Rasta:

I said all that to say go ahead and get your feet wet with whatever you have. Hell, you might not even like growing. But if you do, you'll learn more and more about how to get better at it. And you'll know when your lights are not up to your newly attained "standards."

And one more thing, I'll bet the next light you buy will not be the last light you buy. :laughtwo:

Here's a pic of my first plant.
1615663945514.png

Happy growing!
Hey thanks for that but I'm trying to get a close to a perfect first grow as possible so I am trying to get the best out of what money I have for the first time. I know that I'll be constantly ch.agibg things as I go but I have to start somewhere, hey ba

Again thanks though I appreciate anything anyone has to offerr

I can show you pics of 3 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's & all 3 have different drivers. That's a fact. Whether the parts are all equally as good, I don't know. But I'd rather see Meanwell drivers on all my TSW 2000's like the 1st 2 I bought.
Never the less, I have had great grows with them & pull about the same as you. No complaint there. I just question the quality of the parts they switched to & the lifespan of those parts. I use to know what I was buying when I ordered from them & now I can't be positive of what I'll actually receive. It's weird, because LED light prices are all over the place. Lights with all name brand quality parts for $650 & the same wattage LED with cheaper parts for $800. So if you want something decent you have to do your research to find out what parts they use.

nothing is ever perfect randy. just get growing and fill up some jars.
everything is fixable moving forward. you've spent enough to start already. don't sweat the rest.

I can show you pics of 3 Mars Hydro TSW 2000's & all 3 have different drivers. That's a fact.

a shop selling mars locally has issues with them. mars sell the lights cheaper on the internet, then the end customer tires to return them at the shop to get what they actually paid for.

the kicker is the shop has the lights spec'd correct with the good mean well drivers and decent chipsets. the stuff the guys are trying to bring in always have at least one kitten brand in the build. the do sell a few lights though, and those lights do work great, but they won't back anything unless bought at the shop with a receipt now.

I think we've drug the light thing on long enough that he knows to shop around for what suits his needs. He can upgrade as time goes on as most of us did & still do. This is probably my 6th or 7th set of different brand lights.
Fact is .... You'll never be content. You'll always want more, more, more because this hobby is so addicting.

I think we've drug the light thing on long enough

yes. guilty.
it is not my intention to malign a brand or any of our sponsors either.

i appreciate seeing all of their support on this board. :green_heart:

Welcome to the site @Randyhamlyn3

It's a pleasure to have you. If you have any questions, this is the place for them. There are tons of helpful members here.

Is this going to be your first grow?
Yes. Well I had 3 plants in a closet with a 1000watt led, but never did anything besides put them in kryptonite soil. Never ph'd nothing lol. Knew the difference but just never had anything besides a couple seeds, soil, pots, and a light. So this time i knew I wanted to pursue growing(alot) and have everything otw or ordering the rest of my stuff tomorrow morning. Hoping to have them started by the 1st of april

This is also my first time joining a forum so please give me as much advice as possible because I plan on upsizing my grows everytime I finish one, if all goes well.

So here is a list of things I have on the way plus one 1000 watt LED light I already own.

So
*1000 watt LED light
* 4+4+6ft 8" grow tent
*1000 watt LED light
* Five 2 gallon fabric pots
*pH water tester
*5ft+30ft trellis netting (6")
*Jewellers scope
* Tall skinny oscillating fan ( aprx 36" )

I will get another fan, humidifier, and by April 1 I can have everything else I am going to need down to a trim bin.

THIS IS GOING TO BE MY FIRST GROW JOURNAL AND I PLAN TO GROW A LONG TIME WORKING MY WAY UP TO A WHOLE LOT OF PROCESSED LEGAL MONEY...LOL

Yes I am writing on to my post now to tell u what I have and my plan, so tell me anything you might want to.
I now will have 3 1000 watt lights not 2 and 2 different from what I was ordering before we had the whole like chat that went on for days l

Back
Top Bottom