Hello I'm Randy and I'm getting ready for my first grow

Welcome to the site @Randyhamlyn3

It's a pleasure to have you. If you have any questions, this is the place for them. There are tons of helpful members here.

Is this going to be your first grow?

This is also my first time joining a forum so please give me as much advice as possible because I plan on upsizing my grows everytime I finish one, if all goes well.

So here is a list of things I have on the way plus one 1000 watt LED light I already own.

So
*1000 watt LED light
* 4+4+6ft 8" grow tent
*1000 watt LED light
* Five 2 gallon fabric pots
*pH water tester
*5ft+30ft trellis netting (6")
*Jewellers scope
* Tall skinny oscillating fan ( aprx 36" )

I will get another fan, humidifier, and by April 1 I can have everything else I am going to need down to a trim bin.

THIS IS GOING TO BE MY FIRST GROW JOURNAL AND I PLAN TO GROW A LONG TIME WORKING MY WAY UP TO A WHOLE LOT OF PROCESSED LEGAL MONEY...LOL
Welcome to the site @Randyhamlyn3

It's a pleasure to have you. If you have any questions, this is the place for them. There are tons of helpful members here.

Is this going to be your first grow?
Yes I am writing on to my post now to tell u what I have and my plan, so tell me anything you might want to.

I am waiting on most of the things I need in the mail but still have a list of things to buy off Amazon to be complete with everything I need right to curing. Well I think so!!!!!!
Welcome :welcome: To 420 my friend.
We have terrific sponsors that will give you a better deal than bozos.
Get a journal going when your ready and we will follow along and help.

This is also my first time joining a forum so please give me as much advice as possible because I plan on upsizing my grows everytime I finish one, if all goes well.

So here is a list of things I have on the way plus one 1000 watt LED light I already own.

So
*1000 watt LED light
* 4+4+6ft 8" grow tent
*1000 watt LED light
* Five 2 gallon fabric pots
*pH water tester
*5ft+30ft trellis netting (6")
*Jewellers scope
* Tall skinny oscillating fan ( aprx 36" )
*Small humidifier
*1 Timmer
* Hydrometer thermometer

I think that's it my next purchase will include the carbon fiber intake and fan and the nutrients, plus some other odds and ends to make up my grow room.

Hi Randy & Welcome to 420 Mag. Great site to learn from. Take a look at my journal if you want to learn a lot of basics without doing numerous searches. There's a ton of info in it.
The 1000 watt LED's you have are actually how many watts from the wall ? I'm thinking it's probably about 200 watts actual power draw & that's what really matters. I hate the way LED companies advertise their lights saying it's 1000 watts; instead of saying that it's a 1000 watt HID equivalent (which is also B.S.).
I run a 5 x 5 tent with 750 actual watts from the wall. If I went by what the manufacturer claims I'd be running 5000 watts .... lol.
Look forward to your journal. Party On !

Have u grown much yourself?
Never tried anything Northern Lights (as far as I know). For grows I have two outdoors completed plus my first hydro grow in the tent that should hopefully be done soon. I've got 12 plants started for this summer's outdoor grow, 11 different strains (the link to that journal is in my signature)

Hi Randy & Welcome to 420 Mag. Great site to learn from. Take a look at my journal if you want to learn a lot of basics without doing numerous searches. There's a ton of info in it.
The 1000 watt LED's you have are actually how many watts from the wall ? I'm thinking it's probably about 200 watts actual power draw & that's what really matters. I hate the way LED companies advertise their lights saying it's 1000 watts; instead of saying that it's a 1000 watt HID equivalent (which is also B.S.).
I run a 5 x 5 tent with 750 actual watts from the wall. If I went by what the manufacturer claims I'd be running 5000 watts .... lol.
Look forward to your journal. Party On !
I have two of those 1000s, so would the 5 plants still do good in general grows? Would it make a difference if I dropped my grow from 5 plants to 3 plants?

I have two of those 1000s, so would the 5 plants still do good in general grows? Would it make a difference if I dropped my grow from 5 plants to 3 plants?
There’s many variables that go into how many plants will “ thrive” in a given space . Your lights are 1000 watts but are the really 1000 watts ? I believe someone above eluded to this question. Does it have a reflector ? This determines where your light goes . What kind of footprint does the manufacture say it will cover ?
I have a 4by4 tent like yours and I have two lights that each cover a 2by4 footprint. Each light draws about 400 watts from the wall . Again there’s many variables that go into this equation.
You say your gonna grow with each hopefully successful grow. My suggestion for you is to do just that . Learn as you go and grow as you grow better plants . I bought 4 lights before I was finally happy . I now that I’m happy I am looking to improve that light . Always looking to better your grow and make things simple

It should say on your lights somewhere what the actual power draw is. A 4 x 4 is 16 sq. ft. x 30 watts per sq. ft. for LED's = 480 watts minimum for a good grow. 50 watts per sq. ft. for Max. growth = 800 watts. So anything between 480 - 800 watts will do fine. Just the more wattage, the bigger the yield.
I started out in a cardboard box lined with foil & 4 - 85 watt CFL's so you are starting out way better then I did. I've done about a dozen grows since then & every grow I up-grade my equipment. After 4 years I almost have everything I could possibly need & then some back up stuff just in case. With each upgrade my yield increased a little. I think I got about 1.5 - 2 oz. off my 1st plant .... lol. Now I usually get closer to 8 oz. or more per plant.
I messed around & experimented during my current grow just to see what happened if I did this or that. Hurt my yield on the 1st plant I harvested as I only got 4.75 oz. My own fault as I topped it 13 times which caused weak branches. Guess we know what happens if we top too much now .... lol. Still have 3 others to harvest so we'll see what they yield.
All were LST'd & Topped differently just to see what happens. I got bored doing the same old thing over and over.

It should say on your lights somewhere what the actual power draw is. A 4 x 4 is 16 sq. ft. x 30 watts per sq. ft. for LED's = 480 watts minimum for a good grow. 50 watts per sq. ft. for Max. growth = 800 watts. So anything between 480 - 800 watts will do fine. Just the more wattage, the bigger the yield.
I started out in a cardboard box lined with foil & 4 - 85 watt CFL's so you are starting out way better then I did. I've done about a dozen grows since then & every grow I up-grade my equipment. After 4 years I almost have everything I could possibly need & then some back up stuff just in case. With each upgrade my yield increased a little. I think I got about 1.5 - 2 oz. off my 1st plant .... lol. Now I usually get closer to 8 oz. or more per plant.
I messed around & experimented during my current grow just to see what happened if I did this or that. Hurt my yield on the 1st plant I harvested as I only got 4.75 oz. My own fault as I topped it 13 times which caused weak branches. Guess we know what happens if we top too much now .... lol. Still have 3 others to harvest so we'll see what they yield.
All were LST'd & Topped differently just to see what happens. I got bored doing the same old thing over and over.
Thanks for the info i learned already that my wattage wasn't what they said which I kinda had the idea anyway but wasn't sure how it worked. I am super green (new) at this so I may ask stupid questions but that's how I learn lol. When do I start topping? Do I top the first tip I can or wait?

There’s many variables that go into how many plants will “ thrive” in a given space . Your lights are 1000 watts but are the really 1000 watts ? I believe someone above eluded to this question. Does it have a reflector ? This determines where your light goes . What kind of footprint does the manufacture say it will cover ?
I have a 4by4 tent like yours and I have two lights that each cover a 2by4 footprint. Each light draws about 400 watts from the wall . Again there’s many variables that go into this equation.
You say your gonna grow with each hopefully successful grow. My suggestion for you is to do just that . Learn as you go and grow as you grow better plants . I bought 4 lights before I was finally happy . I now that I’m happy I am looking to improve that light . Always looking to better your grow and make things simpl

Hey thanks for the comment. So I don't know exactly but in one of the comments someone thought they were probably 200 from the wall. In which case I think I'm going to buy 1 more and have 3 1000watt lights pulling 600 I'm thinking. 5 plants in 2 then 5 gallon pots with trellis nets and I will low stress train as well.
Tell me what u think thanks again rdanger

Welcome to 420 @Randyhamlyn3 . ya got a good list started but I don't recall reading anything about exhaust fans that you will need to constantly remove old air and replenish it with new air. There are many sponsors on here that offer discounts to 420 members. Additionally, do you know anything about circuits and how much they can handle before tripping off or overloading and causing fire? Most breakers are 15 amps, all new items have a wattage on them, take what it says and add 10%, so if it says 500 watt + 10%=550. This gives you a safety margin. Here is a chart to help you

Watts To Amps Table 120210308.jpg

Welcome to 420 @Randyhamlyn3 . ya got a good list started but I don't recall reading anything about exhaust fans that you will need to constantly remove old air and replenish it with new air. There are many sponsors on here that offer discounts to 420 members. Additionally, do you know anything about circuits and how much they can handle before tripping off or overloading and causing fire? Most breakers are 15 amps, all new items have a wattage on them, take what it says and add 10%, so if it says 500 watt + 10%=550. This gives you a safety margin. Here is a chart to help you

Watts To Amps Table 120210308.jpg
Yes I was waiting for someone to mention it. I have one in my cart on Amazon just waiti f for some funds. I will have it by the time I put my plants in. And thanks for the I go on the circuits I never thought anything about it. Is there something I can buy or what should I do. I only have 2 maybe 3 outlets in the room the tent is going In.

Back
Top Bottom